Why RDX over CX-5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 10:56 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Why RDX over CX-5?

Hello! I'm new here. I want to start off by saying that this forum is wonderful and I'm really enjoying reading everyone's perspectives. While I don't have a vast automotive knowledge (and perhaps don't belong here), I tend to be particular and observant and I love information. Reading through these threads is addictive and everything I've ever wanted that's been lacking from reviews. I've been car shopping for a while now and really the only two that have stood out to me have been the RDX and the Mazda CX-5 (turbo only). For anyone who considered a CX-5, can you tell me why you ultimately went with the RDX?
Old 11-04-2020, 06:17 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've been shopping the same cars, RDX, CX-5, and a few others. For us, the overall interior design of the RDX was far nicer than the CX-5.....much more sporty. Personal preference I guess.
The following users liked this post:
NBPDC505 (11-06-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 08:01 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts
If you haven't already, here are a few sources for your review. Members of this forum may have their own thoughts for each but they, the sources, give a varied evaluation of the RDX. One common criticism is the 'touchpad system'. I have a 2019 RDX and find that although it will have a long learning curve but once familiarity, with practice, is achieved it becomes a great system.

https://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/2020/

https://www.caranddriver.com/acura/rdx

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/rdx/2020/

Last edited by Acure4RDX; 11-04-2020 at 08:05 AM.
katalina (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
The CX5 was at the top of my list until I actually sat in it. It is very nice but is just too small and cramped for me. The RDX is the perfect size - not too big and not too small. I was also impressed by the interior quality and layout of the RDX after seeing it in person. I never did test drive the CX5 because the small interior was a non-starter.
The following 6 users liked this post by rdevillers:
Cuzz (12-01-2020), droth8um (11-04-2020), dweilbacher (11-06-2020), fogdoctor (11-10-2020), NBPDC505 (11-06-2020), Oil Stain (12-05-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-04-2020, 08:39 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
This subject has been discussed here before. We chose the CX-5 Signature over the RDX Advance mainly because they both were very close to our needs and wants. The price differential was the main factor that we went with the Mazda. The other big factor was that it's my wife's vehicle, so she had veto power.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. You just have to weigh the plusses and minuses against your situational needs.
JB in AZ (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
I love the CX-5 and thought it would be my next car until I tried it with rear-facing car seats. I'm 6ft and couldn't get into a comfortable driving position with the seat behind me. Cargo space is also on the small side. This was a problem because we take 1000mi road trips back to my hometown.

If not for the space issue, I'd gladly buy a CX-5 right now and save $$ over the RDX.
The following 3 users liked this post by jmhumr:
droth8um (11-04-2020), Ih8honda (05-25-2021), katalina (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Mazda seems to be an unique brand, you dont hear a lot about them, but what you do hear is positive. My brother in law just bought a new mazda cx-5, loves it. test drive both and go with the 1 that feels "right"
katalina (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 11:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
I own a CX-5 non turbo and I love it. I am sure the Turbo version is much nicer and has better features. I also helped a colleague to cross shop CX-5 Turbo with RDX. I test drove both cars and I can tell you the following.

The RDX is much smoother and I find it's a step above the CX-5. Also, the RDX is bigger. I find the CX-5 on the smaller side of the suvs. My colleague finally purchased the CX-5 turbo for one reason: Price. He is paying $525 CAD per month and the RDX A-SPEC was around $700 CAD.
katalina (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
There is a big difference in the AWD systems, so if that matters, it pays to learn about the difference between Acura Super Handling AWD, and Mazdas improved FWD/AWD predictive system.

If all you have are flat, straight roads with few slippery condition situations, Acura might be overkill. Here in the NE with lots of two lane blacktop twisties and bad weather, the SH-AWD shines.

Of course, the rest of the car is upgraded, but, IMO it is the AWD systems that are essential differences.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Too small and interior/exterior not as nice as the RDX

Old 11-04-2020, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
I was in the same boat. The CX-5 was cheaper, but had some features the RDX was missing such as self leveling headlights, power folding side mirrors, an actual projector for the HUD instead of using reflections...I had to think at the margin and be very picky in order to edge our the CX-5 for the RDX.

RDX had the better AWD system, active dampers (I have the Advanced), was more sport and performance focused...luxury is a bit better too. RDX has a wider stance as well. Gas tank is slightly larger than the CX-5. I just saw more potential with the RDX, especially with some new tires and new wheels...and even K-Tuner for more HP and torque than the CX-5. Additionally, the CX-5 felt much less spacious internally...I felt like the sales rep was in my lap while doing the test drive. The RDX has very comfortable seating and space.

Also, I was coming from a 2006 Toyota 4Runner. I wanted a true upgrade....and the removal of the shifter knob and instead a push button with a 10-speed transmission was a considerable upgrade in my eyes. The CX-5 has a 6 speed transmission and a shift knob. Nothing wrong with that at all, but for me....it represented what I already had in my 4Runner and I wanted something a bit more radically different.

Although Mazda is for sure headed towards a more luxurious focus, the Acura is already there. The sound system in the RDX is insanely good and I'm an audiophile...I'm hearing things in music I have not heard with some of my most expensive headphones. The CX-5 just has a Bose system which is...well nothing like the RDX system. Technology package in the RDX was just...better. I like the touch pad and the large HD screen. I know the CX-5 just upgraded its screen as well...but the Bose system remains.

Lastly, the engine bay hood on the RDX can stand up on its own with it's piston/shock arms. The CX-5, you have to pull a rod out which holds up the hood.

I don't think you can go wrong with either vehicle...just depends on if you're willing to think at the margin and if it's in your budget. You have to be critical because the CX-5 is a fantastic car....
The following 2 users liked this post by SpaceBot:
fogdoctor (11-06-2020), katalina (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 02:05 PM
6th Gear

I agree with everything you said. I've test driven both more than once. What I noticed in the RDX: the exterior styling is very pleasing to me (I prefer the A-Spec), the armrest moves (I'm short), I'm a sucker for red interior (even though I wonder how the ultrasuede will wear over time), the seats are the most comfortable I sat in during any test drive and they feel roomy (the seats alone almost sold me on the spot), sound system is fantastic, flat 2nd row floor, I would use the storage underneath the back floor constantly, the floor cover snaps in place. Though both cars are attractive, I think the RDX looks the best. I've never had a panoramic sunroof. Really attractive but also freaks me out a little, so much glass overhead. Maybe I'd use it often or maybe I'd forget it existed.

What I noticed about the Mazda CX-5: soul red paint is beautifully unique, parchment interior is also to my liking though the seats are a lot firmer (I was uncomfortable after 30 minutes of driving, maybe they'd soften up over time, or maybe it will be the sole reason I don't choose the car). There seems to be less hesitation when accelerating from a stop or roll, perhaps from more torque or less gears to work through... the power is instant and felt really nice. I didn't even feel the need to put it in sport mode even though I did just to try it out. Brakes felt natural, not too soft or too sensitive. The cabin seems quieter but unfortunately the dealerships were no where near each other and I didn't drive on the same road in both cars. Includes HUD, heated rear seats, and heated steering wheel (I know these are standard on the Advance but I would get the A-Spec). MPG seem to be better but that's obviously not my focus if these are the cars on my list. Mazda's reliability over the last few years has really gone up. The NHTSA complaints are very low. No limp mode concerns. They finally got the infotainment right in my opinion. The toggle seems easier to work than the touchpad in the RDX, but muscle memory would probably negate any noticeable difference over time. Backup camera isn't stellar but I can get over that. I may like the blind spot monitor being inside the mirror instead of on the pillar, I'm not sure yet. I wish it had a handsfree liftgate. The backseat is cramped even though the headroom is pretty good.

I'm familiar with my nearest Mazda dealership's service department and it's topnotch in my experience, I have owned a CX-7 for 12 years. They will give you a loaner upon request every time you come in, not just for warranty work. Definitely not my experience when I had a Honda. They video their assessment of your vehicle and send these videos to you so you can review their recommendations with visual explanations along with a cost breakdown before making a decision. I have no experience with an Acura service department, if anyone would like to give their opinion. Ok I know it sounds like I'm team Mazda over here but I'm just more familiar with them. There are not a lot of Acuras where I live. I stumbled upon the RDX by chance when I went to look at a Honda Passport (didn't care for the big boat feel) and they had a 2020 RDX A-Spec that had just been traded in. Thus my investigation began.

I completely understand about wanting a true upgrade and not just a nicer version of something you already have. Since I have had a CX-7 for so long, in a way I'd like something that doesn't resemble what I have. A complete restart for the next decade of ownership.

As has been stated before, if Acura would just let Advance and A-Spec packages be combined, it would tick a lot of boxes for people. I appreciate everyone's input on such a mundane question. I know it comes down to personal preference and what compromises a person is willing to make, just wanted to see what persuaded others in the end since I saw on a few threads that people had considered the CX-5.
The following 3 users liked this post by katalina:
Cuzz (12-01-2020), Ludepower (11-04-2020), russbert (12-03-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 02:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by katalina
What I noticed about the Mazda CX-5: soul red paint is beautifully unique, parchment interior is also to my liking though the seats are a lot firmer (I was uncomfortable after 30 minutes of driving, maybe they'd soften up over time, or maybe it will be the sole reason I don't choose the car)....
The above that I bolded should not be brushed aside. That is about the only reoccurring complaint I see on the Mazda forum. There's something about the seats that don't work for some people. My wife and I have no complaints with ours and have never had any comfort issues.

You should post this question on the Mazda forum to get a different perspective. There are a couple people on there that have traded in their 3rd gen RDX for CX-5's. They had issues with Acura, so they are probably more biased. The majority of people will give you their honest opinion, though.
katalina (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
1. Needed a back seat that could reasonably handle 2 adults plus a child seat and the CX-5 was just a bit too small for that whereas the RDX handled it just fine. While official trunk capacity is the same the RDX's is functionally slightly bigger (wider, longer).
2. I couldn't get comfortable with the CX-5's seat. No matter how I adjusted it I got a wedgie. Was a shame since I loved the first generation's bucket seat but they changed the seat bottom design in the 2G version.

Both cars are terrific though and I'd recommend either to anyone who wants my opinion. FWIW, I'm not sure that on features or functionality that the RDX is worth the extra money (for most people).
The following 2 users liked this post by supafamous:
Ih8honda (05-25-2021), katalina (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 04:26 PM
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Just sit in RDX

I was convinced I wanted a Mazda CX-5 for about nine months. Then I finally sat inside both of them and it wasn't even close. I also got the RDX Tech. package for about the same price as the highest trim level CX-5. All the reviews above really explain the differences well.

I actually thought the highest trim level Hyundai Santa Fe was better competition.
The following 3 users liked this post by droth8um:
Cuzz (12-01-2020), fogdoctor (11-06-2020), Ih8honda (05-25-2021)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
As has been stated before, if Acura would just let Advance and A-Spec packages be combined, it would tick a lot of boxes for people. I appreciate everyone's input on such a mundane question. I know it comes down to personal preference and what compromises a person is willing to make, just wanted to see what persuaded others in the end since I saw on a few threads that people had considered the CX-5.
The closest thing would be the PMC edition which is a limited build.
https://www.acura.com/pmc-edition
You could check with your dealer(s) if they are able to get one.

There's some discussion here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-pearl-988356/

And here's a link which talks about the combination of A-Spec & Advance features in detail.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=uxbndlbing

Old 11-04-2020, 11:12 PM
Racer

Hey Katalina. That was a well written review. You nailed all the pros and cons. I learned something new.

I also agree with you about "wanting an upgrade". It was either Acura, Lexus, Genesis or Germans for me. I moved on from the Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Hyundai class.

Last edited by Ludepower; 11-04-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

BTW, here's what Alex on Autos thinks.
(Comparison starts at 26:00, in case the link doesn't take you there.)
thetrev68 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 11:40 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ludepower
Hey Katalina. That was a well written review. You nailed all the pros and cons. I learned something new.

I also agree with you about "wanting an upgrade". It was either Acura, Lexus, Genesis or Germans for me. I moved on from the Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Hyundai class.
Hey Ludepower, thank you. I took a friend with me to test drive, a friend who didn't even test drive his own car when he bought it lol. Just walked up to one and said, "I'll take that one." Blows my mind. Had no opinions on any of my nitpickings. That's when I took to the internet and found this forum. When I saw people talking about the thickness of their carpet floor mats, I knew this was my jam
Old 11-04-2020, 11:49 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by anoop
The closest thing would be the PMC edition which is a limited build.
https://www.acura.com/pmc-edition
You could check with your dealer(s) if they are able to get one.

There's some discussion here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-pearl-988356/

And here's a link which talks about the combination of A-Spec & Advance features in detail.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=uxbndlbing
Thank you for the information. I just don't love the orange color. I can't talk myself into a color that doesn't make me smile.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,426 Likes on 1,876 Posts
I'm familiar with my nearest Mazda dealership's service department and it's topnotch in my experience, I have owned a CX-7 for 12 years. They will give you a loaner upon request every time you come in, not just for warranty work. Definitely not my experience when I had a Honda. They video their assessment of your vehicle and send these videos to you so you can review their recommendations with visual explanations along with a cost breakdown before making a decision. I have no experience with an Acura service department, if anyone would like to give their opinion. Ok I know it sounds like I'm team Mazda over here but I'm just more familiar with them. There are not a lot of Acuras where I live. I stumbled upon the RDX by chance when I went to look at a Honda Passport (didn't care for the big boat feel) and they had a 2020 RDX A-Spec that had just been traded in. Thus my investigation began..
If loaners and customer service is a big deal, you might want to call your local dealership to see what their policy is. IMO it's been hit or miss. Apparently some people have good Acura dealerships, but the majority of the ones around me are not so great. The one closest to me has loaners but they're always booked 2-3 months out and won't give you one for regular servicing. Their shuttle service is also a scant 5-mile radius, which is just enough to get you to a train station or a Target. The next closest one always has loaners available...but they charge $25/day. Maybe it's to your advantage that there aren't many Acuras over there; maybe the dealership will work harder to keep you as a returning customer, but around here it seems like the dealerships don't give a rat's ass about customer retention.
katalina (11-06-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 01:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

So far I have not had a problem getting a loaner from my local dealer. The first time they paid for an Enterprise rental, but thereafter they have always given me a 2018/2019/2020 RDX. I have been in several times because of warranty issues, flat tire, regular service.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:20 AM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
Our garage consists of a 2018 CX-5 and a 2020 RDX. The seats in the CX-5 being uncomfortable is absolutely true for me. They lack much padding and feel like they were designed for a 5' 8" frame at the most. Also have to agree with the points of it feeling somewhat cramped. The center console design, more specifically the cup holder placement is questionable. You have to reach back at an awkward angle to retrieve your beverage. The older CX-5 was designed better in that regard (she had a 2016 previously). The RDX seats have been fantastic, and stay comfortable on road trips while never tiring my backside. As far as driving dynamics, the Mazda feels tight but the sporty intentions feel forced and shallow.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:16 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by NBPDC505
Our garage consists of a 2018 CX-5 and a 2020 RDX. The seats in the CX-5 being uncomfortable is absolutely true for me. They lack much padding and feel like they were designed for a 5' 8" frame at the most. Also have to agree with the points of it feeling somewhat cramped. The center console design, more specifically the cup holder placement is questionable. You have to reach back at an awkward angle to retrieve your beverage. The older CX-5 was designed better in that regard (she had a 2016 previously). The RDX seats have been fantastic, and stay comfortable on road trips while never tiring my backside. As far as driving dynamics, the Mazda feels tight but the sporty intentions feel forced and shallow.
I've read that the seats are good for smaller people but I'm only 5'6. I felt like I was sitting on cardboard while my friend, who is 6'1, said they felt perfectly fine. A good description I've seen of those seats are that they feel like you're sitting on top of them instead of in them. I agree about the cupholders. Seemed good that they have those retractable pieces in them to keep different sized drinks in place, but I thought if you had a beverage, it'd be hard to use the infotainment knob. I didn't have a drink with me to test it out. I also agree about the naturally aspirated engine feeling forced and shallow. I had one for a loaner a few years ago and was positive then that it just didn't work for my preferred feel (not knocking anyone who loves it, it's definitely competitive compared to any 4cylinder I've driven). Then they came out with the turbo. I first test drove a naturally aspirated version and then the turbo version, just to have a true comparison back to back. World of difference in my opinion. I also like that there's no fake engine noise, at least didn't appear to be. I don't need the extra jazz to feel the pep. But those dang seats. I could probably accept the smaller backseat, the black plastic exterior trim I don't love, and the sound system being unimpressive is a little sad; but nobody wants to be uncomfortable on every drive over 20 minutes. Oh yes, I almost forgot... the RDX's steering wheel is superior.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:20 AM
Racer

I've read that the seats are good for smaller people but I'm only 5'6. I felt like I was sitting on cardboard while my friend, who is 6'1, said they felt perfectly fine....
Yeah, it's not that straight forward. Like I said, my wife and I do not have any discomfort. I'm 6' 4" and my wife is 5' 3", so there's more to it than just that. If it's uncomfortable to you, then you should avoid the CX-5.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:37 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Cars have personalities based on the people who designed them. I always tell people to go look for themselves when shopping and see what they think and decide what is important to them personally. My next door neighbors...one has a Lexus RX, the other a high end Ford Explorer, anther a Caddy SUV, and all love their cars. I doubt any of them would buy the RDX I have have and am super happy with. Its just not the right car for them. Its difficult for anyone to make a decision for you, no matter how much they know about cars. I periodically go out and look at all the vehicles in the segment that I am interested in. I like to know my options. I like Mazda's in general as they are a solid car. But when I went and set in one and looked at details I knew it was not the car for me. Its a great car, just not a great car for me. My RDX hit the sweet spot. It helped that my wife also liked it from the first time she sat in it. (She had refused to allow me to buy the previous generation...said it was just a pricey CR-V). I love the seats in my Advanced...heated and cooled...(wife is crazy about that!). I like all the adjustments. I like the feel of the car and how it handles. Oh, and passing while going uphill in the mountains...plenty of power. The SH-AWD system is a personal favorite of mine. Its fun to watch the graphic while going uphill on a curvy road. That system really does a great job directing the power.
The RDX, like every car, is not perfect. You have to decide if it has the features and look that appeal to you, and the same goes for the Mazda or any other car. For me the RDX Advance AWD with the RED exterior was the right car. I can easily work around its few oddities and rare bugs. OH, and I like that touch pad thing just fine.
Ludepower (11-09-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by NBPDC505
I'm 6'4" and have similar problems with all the german cars; can't fit in any of them and too many have harsh rides.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:13 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hans471
Cars have personalities based on the people who designed them. I always tell people to go look for themselves when shopping and see what they think and decide what is important to them personally. My next door neighbors...one has a Lexus RX, the other a high end Ford Explorer, anther a Caddy SUV, and all love their cars. I doubt any of them would buy the RDX I have have and am super happy with. Its just not the right car for them. Its difficult for anyone to make a decision for you, no matter how much they know about cars. I periodically go out and look at all the vehicles in the segment that I am interested in. I like to know my options. I like Mazda's in general as they are a solid car. But when I went and set in one and looked at details I knew it was not the car for me. Its a great car, just not a great car for me. My RDX hit the sweet spot. It helped that my wife also liked it from the first time she sat in it. (She had refused to allow me to buy the previous generation...said it was just a pricey CR-V). I love the seats in my Advanced...heated and cooled...(wife is crazy about that!). I like all the adjustments. I like the feel of the car and how it handles. Oh, and passing while going uphill in the mountains...plenty of power. The SH-AWD system is a personal favorite of mine. Its fun to watch the graphic while going uphill on a curvy road. That system really does a great job directing the power.
The RDX, like every car, is not perfect. You have to decide if it has the features and look that appeal to you, and the same goes for the Mazda or any other car. For me the RDX Advance AWD with the RED exterior was the right car. I can easily work around its few oddities and rare bugs. OH, and I like that touch pad thing just fine.
I tried real hard to talk myself into a CR-V. Told myself I should be ultra responsible and get something economical in price and MPG. Plus the Honda dealership is just 5 minutes from where I live. But after test driving it and many others, I threw that idea out the window and said, "you only live once." The more I've considered it, the more I like the RDX above anything else. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one immediately is a small tingling fear of reliability issues, namely this limp mode I've read about. I can accept every car model is going to have a few imperfections but that's a pretty frightening one to roll the dice on. I take a while to process a decision. For better or worse, I'm not an impulse "love at first sight" buyer. Cars might be obsolete by the time I come to a conclusion lol. Which reminds me, the Star Trek and sci-fi nerd in me loves the RDX's grill and cockpit-like feel. Thank you for your input and advice.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:33 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
This is our third RDX and love it. (The other two went to our offspring who needed cars, otherwise we’d still have them.) The car more than fulfills our needs but is a little too complex in the way of features and safety nannies, and the touchpad, in our view, is terrible and unsafe to use when driving. We travel 1500 miles to our summer place and it’s perfect - cargo space, ride and handling.

I’ve driven a couple of CX-5s at Ride and Drive events. The handling and point-and-shoot capabilities were impressive but the hard, short seats were deal-breakers. That and the small interiors. But oh that Soul Red!
The following 2 users liked this post by CanTex:
Ih8honda (05-25-2021), Midnight Mystery (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CanTex
This is our third RDX and love it. (The other two went to our offspring who needed cars, otherwise we’d still have them.) The car more than fulfills our needs but is a little too complex in the way of features and safety nannies, and the touchpad, in our view, is terrible and unsafe to use when driving. We travel 1500 miles to our summer place and it’s perfect - cargo space, ride and handling.

I’ve driven a couple of CX-5s at Ride and Drive events. The handling and point-and-shoot capabilities were impressive but the hard, short seats were deal-breakers. That and the small interiors. But oh that Soul Red!
My daughter also benefitted from a hand-me-down Accord, which she put on 100K miles, and a CR-v, which she put on 30,000 miles and traded in for a new one when she got a good job. She is now married and off the payroll, but still on the cellphone plan.

I wish I had her father for a father, because I got squat when it came to cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Cuzz (12-01-2020), Ih8honda (05-25-2021)
Old 11-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
My daughter also benefitted from a hand-me-down Accord, which she put on 100K miles, and a CR-v, which she put on 30,000 miles and traded in for a new one when she got a good job. She is now married and off the payroll, but still on the cellphone plan.

I wish I had her father for a father, because I got squat when it came to cars.
Your married daughter who has a job ...is still on your cellphone plan? ...
Old 11-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DriverOne
What's the point of paying more by having two separate plans? Just to be "independent"? Why waste money?
Ih8honda (05-25-2021)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
I dunno, couldn't she be on a cell phone plan with her husband +/- their kids if they have any? I could see it if she didn't have a job or even if she had a job but was single. I don't know, is that a common thing and I'm just out of touch?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

I dunno, couldn't she be on a cell phone plan with her husband +/- their kids if they have any? I could see it if she didn't have a job or even if she had a job but was single. I don't know, is that a common thing and I'm just out of touch?
Starting a new plan is $80/month...adding an additional line to an existing plan is just $20/month. In what world does it make sense to give the phone companies an extra $720 each year?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
My two adult sons are on our family plan. I pay Verizon, they pay their share to me. Works well for all involved.

Mazda, no thanks! We have what has to be the worst Mazda dealer in the US.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Drifting

It is the law.

Newton’s first.
Midnight Mystery (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Racer

Cool cell phone plan chat!
Old 11-30-2020, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Looks like the RDX is going to have some real competition from the CX-5 soon.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/30/...-5-luxury-car/

According to the same source, the CX-5's transformation will be made possible by two key elements. First, it will ride on a new rear-wheel-drive platform that it will share with the next Mazda6, though all-wheel-drive will also be offered. Using this architecture will allow stylists to increase the dash-to-axle ratio, which will in turn expand its footprint. Second, the space between the extra sheetmetal will be occupied by a new straight-six engine whose existence has already been confirmed by Mazda. It will get SkyActiv-X technology, and it will be available with a 48-volt mild hybrid system.
Hopefully Acura isn't just sitting on their hands. RWD, straight-six, and a mild hybrid system are all things the RDX does not have.
katalina (12-02-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Hopefully Acura isn't just sitting on their hands. RWD, straight-six, and a mild hybrid system are all things the RDX does not have.
We have to see if the Mazda can address seat comfort. Without seat comfort, there is no luxury.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux

Honda does not do rear wheel drive, except for the NSX.

Quick Reply: Why RDX over CX-5?