When Acura does your oil change, are they using a synthetic blend of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
When Acura does your oil change, are they using a synthetic blend of oil?

I’ve been wondering about this since I just got my new 2021 RDX SH-AWD Advance in late July.
I noticed that when my previous 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Advance was serviced by Acura, they used a synthetic blend (synthetic mixed with Dino oil) during oil changes.
For my new RDX, should I ask for, and pay extra extra for, them to use full synthetic oil, like Mobil 1?
Should I buy my own Mobil 1 oil and ask them to use it instead of the Acura synthetic blend, if that in fact would be better for my engine?
I welcome your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
It's your car.
I have used what ever the dealer uses as default. I don't overthink it. To me it is a five year car, at longest. MAYBE 70,000 miles?
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
justnspace (08-29-2020), NooYawkuh (08-31-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 05:39 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
yeah, pmartone, you're over thinking it...
Most oil nowadays is going to be a blend. (not as simple as dino mixed in with syn)

if you want full synthetic, do you own oil changes or have a mechanic do it with full synth.
the main take away is to change the oil on a regular basis...(so it wont matter if it's dino, blend, or full synth)
Old 08-30-2020, 01:11 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Personally, I DIY with Mobil 1, or let the dealer put in whatever is in their big barrel. Paying extra to have the dealer use Mobil 1 seems excessive ( even if the Mobil 1 goes in your car and not the tech's car... ).

Realistically, if a Honda engine gets regular oil and filter changes and other scheduled maintenance, an internal engine rebuild probably won't be necessary until long after other mechanical systems on the car have become an expensive nightmare to keep running. Honda makes good engines. It's kinda their thing.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:13 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
in my experience of wrenching on vehicles for a little over a decade, engine rebuild is only necessary when people dont take care of the car.
if someone follows the on-board computer for maintenance and takes care of the car(if something breaks, fix it!) there is generally no need to do an engine refresh.
sure, over time, maybe 10 years from now, someone might want to refresh the engine and seals...but in the course of a person's general ownership. no need to refresh

Last edited by justnspace; 08-30-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
https://www.honda.ca/parts-service/parts/oil-and-fluids

Per Honda Canada: "Honda 0W-20 engine oil is a full synthetic formula" so presumably the same applies for Acura.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Acura and Honda have full synthetic oil and a synthetic blend. I plan I having them use the full synthetic when I have the oil changes done. I will probably only need oil changes once a year so that works out to about $15 more a year.

Blend: https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Acur...8798-90XX.aspx

Full synthetic: https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Acur...8798-9XXX.aspx
Old 08-30-2020, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
https://www.honda.ca/parts-service/parts/oil-and-fluids

Per Honda Canada: "Honda 0W-20 engine oil is a full synthetic formula" so presumably the same applies for Acura.
If you go to dealer to get basic oil change, they will not be putting Honda 0w-20 full syn
Old 08-30-2020, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

If you want full synthetic oil like Mobil1, your best option is DIY. Its really not that difficult.
If you request mobil1 oil change, I can see them charging you close to $100. The same thing DIY will be under $30.
couple more be benefits of DIY:
1. drain plug can be properly torqued, and not over tight, which is common.
2. oil not over filled, another common problem
3. You can give it a good drain time, not rushing
4. You can pick oil of your choice for cheap in places like walmart
dhldriver (02-17-2024)
Old 08-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
On my TLX Advance I used synthetic blend for the first 10,000 miles. There are too many cases of people who used full synthetic and then having trouble with the rings not seating correctly and then using oil later in life. Full synthetic is too slippery for new engines that need to break in a bit. After 10,000 miles I moved to Mobil 1 full synthetic. Since my owners manual states: "You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade." If full synthetic is an option, then obviously the standard oil must be a semi synthetic because a 0w20 can't be created any other way. Also, your maintenance minder has no idea what type of oil you are putting into the engine, but assumes it is semi synthetic and then gives you information based on that type of oil.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

First oil change can be synthetic, thats why you need to keep original oil that has factory additives for a full interval to make sure you get proper break in.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:25 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Not a huge fan of Synthetic Blends. I had this conversation with our oil guy. There's absolutely no regulation of what goes into those oils. Most people assume it's a 50/50 blend, but they'd be mistaken. It could be vastly less. Even under 10%, while charging you between a conventional and synthetic. I'd prefer to simply go one or the other. Then again, most will decry that most OTC synthetics aren't true "full" synthetic oils to begin with. I could go on and on. Regardless, if you're doing regular interval oil changes, you're fine. What does the dealer charge for them? If it's over $50, I'd tell them to eat a big fat d ...

As for breaking in, it's likely not due to the synthetic oil, but rather, people not understanding proper engine break in procedures. Most people think you simply just baby the car for the entire length of the break in, which is positively wrong. "Baby" the motor until you reach operating temps and then ensure to vary RPMs (ie: avoid driving lengths at a time on a flat highway at the same speed). Driving spiritedly, ensuring not to hit redline, every so often is also a great way to help seat the rings properly ... again, making sure the OIL (not coolant) is at operating temp.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Not sure synthetic blend will save you money, its $3-5 difference for 5qt at walmart, might as well get synthetic
Old 08-31-2020, 07:30 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Personally, I DIY with Mobil 1, or let the dealer put in whatever is in their big barrel. Paying extra to have the dealer use Mobil 1 seems excessive ( even if the Mobil 1 goes in your car and not the tech's car... ).

Realistically, if a Honda engine gets regular oil and filter changes and other scheduled maintenance, an internal engine rebuild probably won't be necessary until long after other mechanical systems on the car have become an expensive nightmare to keep running. Honda makes good engines. It's kinda their thing.
I have had one, two, or three Honda-engined cars in my driveway since 1981. All have had regular maintenance, all have gone well over 100K with no engine issues. Only one of them started to eat oil at about 120K, but we sold it at ~ 170K, with the original clutch, and it still pulled strong and there were no engine problems.

Honda makes excellent engines.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

We DIYers like to change our oil so we dont have to deal with incompetence of monkeys they put to do an oil change, and as an added bonus you can put higher quality oil for less than what they charge you.
vkamnyev (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts
If you guys really want to save money as DIY'ers... This is what Acura/Honda use as their current oil supplier (note the bottle shape)
https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/...tic-motor-oil/
Old 08-31-2020, 04:23 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2g558
If you guys really want to save money as DIY'ers... This is what Acura/Honda use as their current oil supplier (note the bottle shape)
https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/...tic-motor-oil/
There's no need to put exactly the same oil that Honda dealerships put in the car. Kendall (ConocoPhillips) is a good oil, but nothing sets it apart from any of the other major oil brands that are more readily available, at a cheaper cost (ie: Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, etc). Heck, if you're really frugal, pick up Kirkland 0W-20 for $15 per 5qt jug @ CostCo. DIY oil change for ~$20.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by leomio85
There's no need to put exactly the same oil that Honda dealerships put in the car. Kendall (ConocoPhillips) is a good oil, but nothing sets it apart from any of the other major oil brands that are more readily available, at a cheaper cost (ie: Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, etc). Heck, if you're really frugal, pick up Kirkland 0W-20 for $15 per 5qt jug @ CostCo. DIY oil change for ~$20.
oh course, you can put in the the cheapest oil you want. I was just trying to state to those that want to use "oem" oil there are cheaper alternatives than buying from the dealerships (stealerships)
Old 08-31-2020, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I dont know, the store brand synthetic oil, like the one at Walmart (Super Tech), vs brand name like Pennzoil, is $6 difference for 5qt. Does $6 really matter?
Old 08-31-2020, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

If you really think "Acura oil" is special, you can buy this for $50-60 for 5qt. Which is crazy overpriced.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude
I dont know, the store brand synthetic oil, like the one at Walmart (Super Tech), vs brand name like Pennzoil, is $6 difference for 5qt. Does $6 really matter?
For me... I'm not going to put "store brand" oil in my brand new car. It's an investment in my money so I'm going to spend a little money to protect that investment. Do you spend the money for dealership oil? That's your choice. Personally, I know honda/Acura doesn't make oil, they make cars. That's why I look up who supplies their oil and likely choose that and pocket the savings and write off the miniscule difference in price to the other manufacturers
Old 08-31-2020, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acura2g558
For me... I'm not going to put "store brand" oil in my brand new car. It's an investment in my money so I'm going to spend a little money to protect that investment. Do you spend the money for dealership oil? That's your choice. Personally, I know honda/Acura doesn't make oil, they make cars. That's why I look up who supplies their oil and likely choose that and pocket the savings and write off the miniscule difference in price to the other manufacturers

Same here, going with Mobil1 (just personal preference, but would be happy with Pennzoil, Castrol and etc). The price difference (specifically for DIY) is negligible compared to "store brand".
There is also this boutique oil "Amsoil", but I will not put it in my car due to number of reasons.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:48 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
My days of crawling under the car ended for good at least 3 cars ago. Doing my own oil changes wasn't saving me much money or time with the quick lube service almost all dealers have nowadays.

I put anywhere from 144,000 to 185,000 miles on those cars,, never had an oil related problem and never asked what oil they were using.

One of them was even a Ford.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
If you go to dealer to get basic oil change, they will not be putting Honda 0w-20 full syn
I went to dealer for basic oil change (A1) and asked how much more for full synthetic. They told me they use full synthetic at no additional cost, since it is turbo engine. I'm not sure if every turbo engine requires full synthetic oil (my first turbo), or this particular dealer is so nice. At next B1 service they did the same (I asked them to confirm). It was $50 for A1 service, but it is not bad since they included tire rotation, topping all fluids, vacuuming inside and washing the car. They do free vacuuming and washing for any service.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
My days of crawling under the car ended for good at least 3 cars ago. Doing my own oil changes wasn't saving me much money or time with the quick lube service almost all dealers have nowadays.

I put anywhere from 144,000 to 185,000 miles on those cars,, never had an oil related problem and never asked what oil they were using.

One of them was even a Ford.
I still DIY sometimes just cuz, but not if it's -20°F in my garage. ( Might not be a problem now that it's in Santa Fe ; was definitely a problem in MN and WI ).

But I agree that dealer "express service" is fine. Just stay far, far away from the "quick lube" franchises ( like the one that gets it done in a jiffy ); they are scam artists.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jerzy
I went to dealer for basic oil change (A1) and asked how much more for full synthetic. They told me they use full synthetic at no additional cost, since it is turbo engine. I'm not sure if every turbo engine requires full synthetic oil (my first turbo), or this particular dealer is so nice. At next B1 service they did the same (I asked them to confirm). It was $50 for A1 service, but it is not bad since they included tire rotation, topping all fluids, vacuuming inside and washing the car. They do free vacuuming and washing for any service.
But it was not “Honda” branded synthetic oil, I highly doubt it. They likely get some off brand synthetic oil.
$50 is a good deal, assuming your service advisor really knows its full synthetic.
In my dealership $50 will get you an oil change, no idea what they put. but if you tell them you want them to put Mobil1, it becomes $90. Begs a question why such a big difference.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about Ceratec (oil additive)? Me and my buddies in the Mercedes AMG forum all love that stuff in our 6.2L V8's. I saw in our RDX Owner's Manual where it says not to use oil additives, but I figured most manufacturers would say that. The AMG M156 engine is known to be a little clickity-clackity sometimes and the Ceratec really quieted down the engine. I really want to use it in this engine also, after I confirm that it's not explicitly a problem to do so. Anyone else here used Ceratec?
Old 09-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Drifting

AFAIK the problem with additives is that they may adversely affect seals and gaskets in the engine. Since I know nothing about the composition of Ceratec, and nothing about the composition of the seals and gaskets in the Honda/Acura engine, I have no idea if that's likely to be a problem in this case. I doubt Acura will explicitly condone the use of that or any other additive, but it would be pretty tough for them to prove its use resulted in a problem, even if an owner was so honest ( foolish ) as to disclose the use of the additive if a problem arose.

Technically, I believe "High Mileage" formulations of oils such as Mobil 1 include additives that are intended to expand seals and gaskets in the engine, but those would typically be used after expiration of any manufacturer's warranty. And seemingly informed sources have suggested those oils should not be used prematurely.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Before turning to oil additives, Is there a problem with 2.0T engine that needs a solution? Are you saying quality synthetic oil does not protect it enough?
Old 09-03-2020, 11:36 PM
Cruisin'

I am NOT saying there's an existing problem at all. But after market improvement can be a good thing. Ceratec purports a property of binding to the cylinder walls that reduces start up wear and tear as well as running w&t. So since I have had good experiences with it in my daily driver/track car AMG I thought I'd look into treating this engine with it also. I don't blow smoke in my C63 and I track it at COTA 4-5 times a year since 2014. So at least in that car, it's been a good thing.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:41 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sixpack
I am NOT saying there's an existing problem at all. But after market improvement can be a good thing. Ceratec purports a property of binding to the cylinder walls that reduces start up wear and tear as well as running w&t. So since I have had good experiences with it in my daily driver/track car AMG I thought I'd look into treating this engine with it also. I don't blow smoke in my C63 and I track it at COTA 4-5 times a year since 2014. So at least in that car, it's been a good thing.
I've used once gas additive, that supposed to clean injectors, After engine failure mechanic said that all dissolved crud clogged #1 injector (first ina a row) and they never recommend such "remedies". Why not to stick to normal maintenance?
Old 09-04-2020, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

It might be a great additive, but is there any information that anyone is using it in Honda 2.0T engine? I dont know about german engines, maybe its a “thing” to use for AMG.
I am of the opinion “do not fix it if it aint broken”. The risks vs benefits analysis just does not work for me.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:17 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
IIRC, the Honda recommendation is against additives. Use high quality oil of the correct weight and rating, and change it timely and check the levels. You will not have a problem.

Same with gas. Use high quality, top tier gas from a busy station, and you will be fine.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
At our dealer we use a synthetic blend unless the customer requests and pays more for full synthetic. Only exception is the 07-13 RDX which specified Mobil 1 synthetic on the oil cap.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ssmcls03
At our dealer we use a synthetic blend unless the customer requests and pays more for full synthetic. Only exception is the 07-13 RDX which specified Mobil 1 synthetic on the oil cap.
thats what I figured, they will not put full synthetic for $40-50. Typical dealer price is around $90 for full synthetic.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Sometimes its OK to go against manufacture recommendations if you are trying to solve an issue/problem. I am just not sure what problems oil additives will be solving?
Old 09-04-2020, 11:19 PM
Cruisin'

No one said that there's an issue or a problem that needs to be solved. Sometimes aftermarket products are just better than oem. I already swapped brake pads on this vehicle. Better stopping power and no noise. I also put 220 tread wear rated Pirelli's on instead of the factory Conti's. There's no problems with the factory Continentals, but the Pirelli's are a step up. And Ceratec makes the engine internals slide and glide better than just Acura oil, or Mobil1, or <enter your fav oil here>. Get it yet? Improvements on something already good.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sixpack
No one said that there's an issue or a problem that needs to be solved. Sometimes aftermarket products are just better than oem. I already swapped brake pads on this vehicle. Better stopping power and no noise. I also put 220 tread wear rated Pirelli's on instead of the factory Conti's. There's no problems with the factory Continentals, but the Pirelli's are a step up. And Ceratec makes the engine internals slide and glide better than just Acura oil, or Mobil1, or <enter your fav oil here>. Get it yet? Improvements on something already good.
How are those Pirelli's in snow? Not to mention replacing them every 10,000 miles to keep any kind of tread depth, which is also kinda helpful on wet roads.

OEM choices balance multiple parameters, one of which is cost. But aftermarket customization may not yield improved performance in all conditions.

Refusing to acknowledge "snake oil" additive claims doesn't mean I don't "get it"; it means I don't believe it. Got it?

If Ceratec is so wonderful, it's hard to imagine why every professional motorsport team wouldn't be using it. Failing to do so would cede a competitive advantage to their competitors. Is there another magic elixir they prefer? Or maybe they just use good engine oil and say they use the products of their sponsors. STP anyone?
Old 09-05-2020, 06:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Trying out aftermarket brake pads/rotors or different kind of tires, is not the same thing as putting oil additive. If you dont like pads, you can get another set. Maybe you can rebuild the engine if something goes wrong...
Old 09-06-2020, 07:38 AM
Cruisin'

Trying out aftermarket brake pads/rotors or different kind of tires, is not the same thing as putting oil additive. If you dont like pads, you can get another set. Maybe you can rebuild the engine if something goes wrong...
No doubt. And that's why I asked if anyone had used Ceratec with this engine. I haven't yet. But it appears that even asking the question has riled up a few people in this thread, lol

Quick Reply: When Acura does your oil change, are they using a synthetic blend of oil?