What did you consider buying before pulling the trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What did you consider buying before pulling the trigger?

Still shopping but currently the RDX is on our short list. Looking at XC60, X3, Mini Countryman, possibly others. Just wondering what others have considered.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:37 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
For me it was the CX-5 signature. After test driving it, I realized it was not for me. Acura was much more refined.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:50 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
MB GLC
Lexus RX and NX
Subaru Ascente and Outback
Honda CR-V
Hyundai Santa Fe

Of these the Ascente would have been choice 2.

Today, I would have added the Telluride and Pallisade, and today, with the changes made to the 2020 GLC, that may have ranked much higher.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
My shortlist was the Audi Q5 and the Honda Passport. If this infotainment freezes one more time then the Audi Q5 or Kia Telluride will be in my garage.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:56 PM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
I had considered the Honda CRV, but the 3G 2019 Acura RDX did it for me. I'm lovin' it.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
Mercedes C300 Wagon
BMW X3
Honda CR-V Touring
Mazda CX-5 Signature
Audi A5 Sportback

The Germans ultimately proved too pricey for what was on offer though all of them are exceptional cars and only the X3 was big enough. The CR-V had all the space in the world and was easily the most practical but that CVT made driving it a sad experience for me (it was my wife's favourite though). The CX-5 was terrific but just a wee bit too small - if it was the RDX's size (or close to it) we would have gotten it instead.
The following users liked this post:
blexann (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Advanced

This is where I'm at....

Passport interior is ugly plus no pano plus pricey, pass
CX5 too small and no pano, pass
I haven't checked any Mercedes or Audis
Telluride is out for me as I don't need the 3rd row
CRV, I wanted something a little more upscale so haven't really considered it
I drove the new RAV but found it a little cheap feeling and noisy engine

X3 is close but pricey
XC60 is also close but I wonder about long term reliability

I keep coming back to the RDX either a-spec or Elite (unless I can get a great deal on the Platinum)

I'm in the Toronto area btw
Old 07-21-2019, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts
IMO, the premium for the X3 is not worth it. The engine/transmission may be a bit better than the RDX, but you will give up seat comfort despite paying more money.

Nothing wrong with the pulling the trigger on the RDX. The value can't be beat and it is a satisfying vehicle overall. And by now many of the bugs have been ironed out.

If money were no object, I would look at the Macan, and if I had some more time to make a decision, I would wait and check the refreshed (albeit not redesigned) 2020 GLC 300 -- they have really up'ed the standard equipment list and I think it can compete favorably with the RDX in the area of seat comfort.
blexann (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
I mostly shopped against the X3, coming from a 535i. But you needed 2 drivers assist packages, and none of the X3s near me had them. There was only 1 that did, and it was 150 miles away, and so loaded that it was mid 60s. The closest I could come was one that gave up the adaptive cruise control, which was a must, and cost almost 10K more. Although the X3 drove a little bit better, it was only a little bit.

Then there is the expensive maintenance of a BMW, since I generally keep a car for 10 years.

Nothing could touch the package that my RDX Tech has for anywhere near the price.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:56 AM
mch
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
We test drove X3, comparably comped was way too pricey. Then compared the XC60, the T5 comparably trimmed was slightly above in price but it was slooow so we tried the T6 which was a great comparison car in most aspects but also about +10-12k$ over RDX. Lastly we stepped down and tried the Subaru Outback 3.6R, which was slightly cheaper than the RDX but lost out on all of the refinement. On paper for the price it seemed like a no brainer to go with the RDX, backed by Honda/Acura.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
I also had the RDX at the very top of my list that included the X3, XC60, V60CC, V90CC, GLC, Passport, and Q5/SQ5 (roughly in that order). An RDX Type-S priced like an X3 M40i would have 100% convinced me, but alas after my latest poor dealership experience it’s very likely by year end I’ll end up in an X3 M40i, the new GLC43, or a XC60 T8. At least I can have solace knowing that Acura literally does not have a product that competes with those 3 (yet, though I ain’t holding my breath). It’s too bad because I do like the RDX, so much that I’d pick it over its competitors for the same price.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
The only other vehicles in serious contention were the Pilot and the RX350. The RX was just way overpriced. And the Pilot was really more car than I need or want. I probably would have considered a Passport but they weren't in dealers yet as I approached my final decision. Most everything else I looked at or test drove was eliminated almost immediately.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:31 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus NX was my #1 choice, but it did not get the redesign I expected and was just too slow. I really wanted it for the reliability. The new GLC was also a consideration, but did not want to wait and worried about the price. Very happy with the RDX, but concerned with any issues that may come up.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I had considered a lease, but decided to buy, as I usually put too many miles on for a good lease...

I eventually narrowed my search down to 3 vehicles:

RDX Advance FWD (Now in my garage w/8,000+ very happy miles over exactly 6 months..as of TODAY!)
Cadillac XT4 Premium Luxury FWD (eliminated for various reasons, price for equipment, rear headroom, rear view)
Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription FWD (eliminated due to relatively poor reliability expectations, "porous" Moon roof inner shade)

But had included:

Lincoln Nautilus (very nice, luxurious, but poor resale value, and more luxury and way less sport.
Lexus NX (any number of reasons, one was interior color choices. I don't want a black interior, and the other light one looked very yellow to us.
Lexus RX (too pricey and seemed bigger than we wanted or needed) excellent reliability not with standing.
Volvo XC40 (very briefly) Too small, didn't seem at all to be any hint of luxury, some road noise and a bit of an unsophisticated ride)
BMW...ah, no thanks
Audi, got very pricey for equipment I wanted
blexann (07-22-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
It seems like a lot of people were swayed by the RDX's value. I wonder if you were able to get a huge discount on a Q5, X3, or RX if that would have changed your mind. It would be interesting to see how close the competition would have to get in price to sway you the other way. You'd be surprised how big of a discount they can actually give on these vehicles.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skarface
It seems like a lot of people were swayed by the RDX's value. I wonder if you were able to get a huge discount on a Q5, X3, or RX if that would have changed your mind. It would be interesting to see how close the competition would have to get in price to sway you the other way. You'd be surprised how big of a discount they can actually give on these vehicles.
Yeah, but that requires extreme haggling and/or buying last year's MY. And in such situations you can get crazy good deals on the RDX too. See the thread on deals. People have been getting $5K off MSRP routinely.

My patience was low and situation was desperate. I paid $1K below MSRP for mine.

Last edited by anoop; 07-23-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by anoop
Yeah, but that requires extreme haggling and/or buying last year's MY. And in such situations you can get crazy good deals on the RDX too. See the thread on deals. People have been getting $5K off MSRP routinely.

My patience was low and situation was desperate. I paid $1K below MSRP for mine.
I'd have to check but I believe that poster was looking at a demo
Old 07-23-2019, 05:33 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kia Stinger 2/3 L: I thought long and hard about this one and eventually scrapped it. Trunk was not large enough for what i needed it for.
BMW 3 series wagon: They jsut killed it in the US, so i dont know how much more support i wouldve gotten for it.
MB E400 s4/450 s4: Price range was jsut slightly out of reach even for CPO.
VW Alltrack: I loved the sportwagen so having a higher right height and AWD wouldve been the upgrade i needed. VW plastics and QC started to fail my sportwagen in the third year.
VW Arteon: Larger trunk than stinger, but the price was so close to RDX while being less than.
Toyota Rav4 hybrid: It the new redesign on the block but it was sold out everywhere and had no guarantee of Android auto.
Audi A4 Allroad: Audi QC is way better than VW, but that price tier system made me not want it for the price.
Audi A5 Sportback: CPO prices were not coming down fast enough.

In my darkest hours:
Toyota Camry v6: XSE looked hot.
Toyota Avalon v6: More trunk space, but it drives like a floaty boaty mess.
Honda Accord 2L t: Maybe just maybe this was the economical choice.

I found my RDX aspec for $37995 CPO w/ 4885 miles on it, and in Apex Blue Pearl/Red leather.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I have time to kill so will reply....When it comes to a car purchase, doesnt really matter why others bought a car......I almost bought a 2019 RDX Advance back in Oct 2019....had a deal at 44500 from Pohanka Acura in VA. Bought my wife really disliked it and wanted me to test drive other cars. She agreed it was a good value, but was I happy? Especially since I had not test drove other vehicles.....I'm just a huge Honda.Acura fan. So test drove Lexus..Audi...Mercedes And Volvo (not a BMW fan..thats just me) I fell in love the Volvo XC60! I loved the simplicity of the cabin layout....very uncluttered....Loved the seats, espcially on the Inscription model where they are ventilated and massage.....The T5 is just turbo charged and was a nice ride, but had no zip.....The T6 is turbo and supercharged and it had some nice zip! I was originally going the T6 route until I tert drove the T8 which is turbo and supercharged and is a plug in chargebale battery! And with federal and state Incentives was actually less than a T6!! Range is only 25 miles on battery (in ideal condtions) but fits my lifestyle perfectly as work is 20 miles away....can charge for free...and drive back home on battery....For others, it may not be a good fit. If you have never driven a battery powered car.....it is nice (to me) very smooth and quiet....The T8 is 400Hp and over 500ft of torque. Plenty of room (not as much as my 2016 Outback) And yes Volvo is owned by Geely and Chinese company.....and yes many are made in China..but they are now switching back to Sweden and other European plants to avoid the Chinese tarrifs....but many reports say those made in China are of higher quality than those made elsehwere..who knows if that is true. I have only had mine since March 2019,, but not issues yet. The 2018 Sensus (the computer that controls the display) had a slow start up....but it is greatly improved in the 2019s. I know when I get in, turnm the knob to start the car and put on seat belt, it is all ready to go, so only a few seconds to start up. I'm quite happy with the T8, but I woul dhave been ok with the RDX....maybe not as happy, but more $$$$ in the bank,lol With Incentives back...I will have paid around $55000 for my 2019 XC60 T8 Inscription. I went without the air suspension ($1800) and $3200 stereo upgrade. Lot of great choices out there....
Old 07-23-2019, 06:54 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts

That’s only for the 2019 models that have now been replaced for 2020. The $5k discount was only for a month or two in May and June when the 2020 models started arriving in May.

Also, it wasn’t easy to get that $5k discount. Where I live, you might be able to get a $3k discount. The $5k discount is location dependent.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Aren't there pricing services in the US for this? In Canada there's Unhaggle and CarCostCanada and in both cases they provide the invoice price for you to use and you can even hire them to get you a price. Using my Unhaggle data I was able to negotiate a 2020 A-Spec down to 2.25% above invoice (about $3K off MSRP) over email with 2 dealers in a couple hours. Easy-peasy. If you hire a service like Unhaggle (I think it's $99) they can usually get you 3-4% above invoice nearly instantaneously.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by supafamous
Aren't there pricing services in the US for this? In Canada there's Unhaggle and CarCostCanada and in both cases they provide the invoice price for you to use and you can even hire them to get you a price. Using my Unhaggle data I was able to negotiate a 2020 A-Spec down to 2.25% above invoice (about $3K off MSRP) over email with 2 dealers in a couple hours. Easy-peasy. If you hire a service like Unhaggle (I think it's $99) they can usually get you 3-4% above invoice nearly instantaneously.
There are, but local dealer wasn't participating. And none of the specials like loyalty applied to me.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skarface
If the X3 were closer in price I might have been tempted but I doubt it because:

1. I don't trust German reliability and expect to keep the car well beyond the warranty period.
2. It ultimately wasn't as practical in the 2nd row, the hump makes the middle seat a temporary spot whereas it works fine in the RDX for my parents/in-laws.
3. I was paying in cash and the discounts on X3s mostly are bundled with lease deals.

I considered a year old lease return for an X3 which would have put it around the same price as a new A-Spec but it still came with so little in terms of tech that I couldn't justify it. The Q5 and GLC were never considerations for me as their back seats and trunk were too small respectively.

I was more price sensitive than most I think as my wife really preferred the CR-V for its better practicality and smaller size so the leap to a RDX was considered really big for her thus another $5-10K leap to a X3 was going to be a hard sell.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I was all over the board. Some of that was that I just don't drive a ton, so it was hard to decide how much I valued features, luxury, etc.. Ultimately, I really enjoy cars and like having a nice one.

Honda CRV and Passport: they were surprisingly cheap-feeling on the inside, so much so that I didn't bother driving them. I owned a 2004 accord back in 2004 and it genuinely felt like a nicer car than what was in showrooms today. Where I feel like most manufacturers have made leaps and bounds since then, Honda has not. I didn't feel that same thing with the RDX (even though it is a Honda product), but there have been a few things here or there I've found since I bought it that have made me re-asses my overall feeling of the quality of products that Honda now makes vs. their reputation.

Lexus RX350: I liked this car despite it's ancient infotainment. We have an old body style RX and the dealer experience and reliability make it worth the cost. The reliability also makes comparing a used RX to a new RDX acceptable to me. Ultimately, the RX has some tiny little comfort issues for tall drivers that the RDX didn't.

Hyundai Santa Fe: This car is not as sporty or as powerful as the RDX, but the fit and finish is better than most cars. I was very surprised at how nice it was. I got really stuck on how good the SH AWD felt vs HTRAC.

Hyundai Palisade/Kia Telluride: The Palisade wasn't out yet, but the Kia was similarly surprising in fit and finish just like the Santa Fe. I was considering a seven passenger (we were coming out of a mini van), but ultimately decided for the more engaging ride.

Volvo XC60 and XC90: The XC60 felt tighter inside, so it would have been the XC90. I really wanted the Inscription trim and upgraded audio, which makes either of these pricey. I'm not that price-sensitive, but the comparison to the RDX was a little jarring.

BMW X5: This was the "best" SUV I drove, but obviously in a different price category. The X3 felt a little too snug to me. I probably could have gotten over my reliability concerns if the new X5 had come out a few years previous and I could have gotten a depreciated used model. I have some weird ingrained negative thoughts about owning a BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi - but I feel like I could have gotten over it

While I am happy overall with the RDX and will almost assuredly have it for 7-8 years, I probably would make a different choice now having driven it for a couple of months. I haven't had the issues that many people have, you just get to know the feel and functionality of a car better over a couple months vs. a few test drives and research.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dugums
I was all over the board. Some of that was that I just don't drive a ton, so it was hard to decide how much I valued features, luxury, etc.. Ultimately, I really enjoy cars and like having a nice one.

Honda CRV and Passport: they were surprisingly cheap-feeling on the inside, so much so that I didn't bother driving them. I owned a 2004 accord back in 2004 and it genuinely felt like a nicer car than what was in showrooms today. Where I feel like most manufacturers have made leaps and bounds since then, Honda has not. I didn't feel that same thing with the RDX (even though it is a Honda product), but there have been a few things here or there I've found since I bought it that have made me re-asses my overall feeling of the quality of products that Honda now makes vs. their reputation.

Lexus RX350: I liked this car despite it's ancient infotainment. We have an old body style RX and the dealer experience and reliability make it worth the cost. The reliability also makes comparing a used RX to a new RDX acceptable to me. Ultimately, the RX has some tiny little comfort issues for tall drivers that the RDX didn't.

Hyundai Santa Fe: This car is not as sporty or as powerful as the RDX, but the fit and finish is better than most cars. I was very surprised at how nice it was. I got really stuck on how good the SH AWD felt vs HTRAC.

Hyundai Palisade/Kia Telluride: The Palisade wasn't out yet, but the Kia was similarly surprising in fit and finish just like the Santa Fe. I was considering a seven passenger (we were coming out of a mini van), but ultimately decided for the more engaging ride.

Volvo XC60 and XC90: The XC60 felt tighter inside, so it would have been the XC90. I really wanted the Inscription trim and upgraded audio, which makes either of these pricey. I'm not that price-sensitive, but the comparison to the RDX was a little jarring.

BMW X5: This was the "best" SUV I drove, but obviously in a different price category. The X3 felt a little too snug to me. I probably could have gotten over my reliability concerns if the new X5 had come out a few years previous and I could have gotten a depreciated used model. I have some weird ingrained negative thoughts about owning a BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi - but I feel like I could have gotten over it

While I am happy overall with the RDX and will almost assuredly have it for 7-8 years, I probably would make a different choice now having driven it for a couple of months. I haven't had the issues that many people have, you just get to know the feel and functionality of a car better over a couple months vs. a few test drives and research.
maybe the "new car" feeling has worn off? or are you finding some major issues or maybe comfort complaints?..
Old 07-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have some weird ingrained negative thoughts about owning a BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi - but I feel like I could have gotten over it
Kind of weird, but a lot of people seem to have this and also look at BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi owners differently. BMW has the worst of it--seems to get a lot of negative attention.

What do you think you would pick?
Old 07-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blexann
maybe the "new car" feeling has worn off? or are you finding some major issues or maybe comfort complaints?..
I don't really get "new car" feelings. One place where it continues to deliver is comfort and ride/handling, which to me are the most important factors for my overall happiness with a car. Like I said, I don't have any issue with the idea that I'll be owning this for many years to come, just noting that there a number of areas where a little luster has been lost after more time with the car. That happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Overall, I really enjoy hopping in the RDX when it comes time to go somewhere.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Kind of weird, but a lot of people seem to have this and also look at BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi owners differently. BMW has the worst of it--seems to get a lot of negative attention.

What do you think you would pick?
The RDX really occupies a weird spot for me - it's a smaller SUV than much of what I looked at, but it is big enough to handle my needs and provides the largest/most comfortable spot for me (being a tall guy).

Let's say I totaled the RDX and had to go get something new. I'd do a used XC90 right now (probably after trying again to get over my comfort issues with the RX). With that said, I have connections with Volvo and have lived with a recent one, so their reliability issues don't scare me quite as much as they should someone else.

Again, I really like the RDX. It's not like it's an easy decision and it was a close one when I made it. The flipside of me saying that I'd probably make a different decision is that I'm also quite happy with the decision I made. I may not be a hypothetical hindsight repeat-buyer, but I am a satisfied owner. Keep in mind, the RDX is easily competing in my mind with cars that are almost twice as much - that's pretty awesome.

Say now that I totaled it in 3-4 years. I'm probably looking at scooping up a used X5 and really interested in seeing the Genesis SUV. I was so impressed with the Hyundais and the Genesis sedans are phenomenal, I can wait to see a Genesis SUV.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:47 AM
Advanced

The RDX really occupies a weird spot for me - it's a smaller SUV than much of what I looked at, but it is big enough to handle my needs and provides the largest/most comfortable spot for me (being a tall guy).

Let's say I totaled the RDX and had to go get something new. I'd do a used XC90 right now (probably after trying again to get over my comfort issues with the RX). With that said, I have connections with Volvo and have lived with a recent one, so their reliability issues don't scare me quite as much as they should someone else.

Again, I really like the RDX. It's not like it's an easy decision and it was a close one when I made it. The flipside of me saying that I'd probably make a different decision is that I'm also quite happy with the decision I made. I may not be a hypothetical hindsight repeat-buyer, but I am a satisfied owner. Keep in mind, the RDX is easily competing in my mind with cars that are almost twice as much - that's pretty awesome.

Say now that I totaled it in 3-4 years. I'm probably looking at scooping up a used X5 and really interested in seeing the Genesis SUV. I was so impressed with the Hyundais and the Genesis sedans are phenomenal, I can wait to see a Genesis SUV.
Overall comfort is important to me. I tried out the XC60 and I don't know it just didn't feel right - or maybe it was because the interior front felt small (?) or maybe it was because it was a little boring with the T5. I didn't bother trying the T6 and up engines as then it gets really pricey - nice looking dash though. See every vehicle has it's thing and the RDX just seems to hit the note on nearly everything. I ruled out any 3 row seaters so XC90/Telluride...etc were out for me. I also feel the same way about he RDX size as I wanted to a decent size SUV but not too small and not too large - RDX hits that note too. I also tried the Murano...it was actually pretty good and I was close to pulling the trigger until I started thinking about it more and decided not to. that was the right decision. I liked the interior and impressive standard features but CVT and the ugliest front grill in the end turned me off. The Murano won't age well.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Overall comfort is important to me. I tried out the XC60 and I don't know it just didn't feel right - or maybe it was because the interior front felt small (?) or maybe it was because it was a little boring with the T5. I didn't bother trying the T6 and up engines as then it gets really pricey - nice looking dash though. See every vehicle has it's thing and the RDX just seems to hit the note on nearly everything. I ruled out any 3 row seaters so XC90/Telluride...etc were out for me. I also feel the same way about he RDX size as I wanted to a decent size SUV but not too small and not too large - RDX hits that note too. I also tried the Murano...it was actually pretty good and I was close to pulling the trigger until I started thinking about it more and decided not to. that was the right decision. I liked the interior and impressive standard features but CVT and the ugliest front grill in the end turned me off. The Murano won't age well.
I agree re the xc60. It felt oddly small to me. The xc90 isn’t all that much bigger, but enough. It’s really hard to beat the RDX on overall package of features, performance, comfort, and size. Factor in price and it’s almost impossible.

Have you tried the new Santa Fe 2.0t? You can’t really tell in pictures, but in person it actually feels almost as premium as the RDX (in some ways more). Not a prem/lux brand, but really delivers and maybe more similar to the RDX than you’d think.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:13 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Agree completely. The new Santa Fe was one of the cars we test drove. Very impressed with everything...except....the 2.0 didn't seem all the powerful. Certainly was not much compared to the RDX 2.0.
dugums (07-24-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Mazda CX-5 Signature (2.5T) - drives great, 40/20/40 split folding rear seat (great for skis, lumber, hockey sticks), great value, but not enough legroom in back row, not as refined, wife didn't like

Kia Sorento SX Limited - 3 rows yet compact dimensions (189" x 74"), great value, but wasn't as sporty or refined, feels like a downgrade after seeing the Telluride

BMW X3 - iDrive better than TTI, nice 360 view, adaptive cruise is smoother, nice digital dashboard, auto parking, 40/20/40 split folding rear seat (great for skis, lumber, hockey sticks), but more expensive, less value, transmission tunnel in the back row makes middle seat usable only on short drives / occasional use (but good legroom for the other 2 spots in the back)

Audi Q5 - very responsive engine and transmission, great styling, nice digital dashboard, 40/20/40 split folding rear seat (great for skis, lumber, hockey sticks), but more expensive, less value, steering too light, pano sunshade is mesh (like it to be solid), huge transmission tunnel hump in back row (middle seat completely unusable)

Considered but didn't make the short-list:

Kia Telluride Limited - great interior, heated and ventilated 1st and 2nd row, good legroom, like the 3 rows, great value, not as sporty, but ultimately, it was too big for our garage (197" x 78")

VW Tiguan - 3 rows but compact dimensions (185" x 72"), great value, but third row is not usable for anyone but small kids, engine lacks power at highway speeds

GMC Acadia - 3 rows but not too big (194" x 75"), good power (316 hp), good steering feel, ride and handling, interior design not great (fake wood trim, wife hated it), surprisingly expensive (and therefore mediocre value), visibility side / back not very good

Last edited by catalytic_ca; 07-28-2019 at 02:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by catalytic_ca:
blexann (07-28-2019), GW208 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Red 2019 RDX ASPEC

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Still shopping but currently the RDX is on our short list. Looking at XC60, X3, Mini Countryman, possibly others. Just wondering what others have considered.
I had my mind set on the TLX ASPEC until the redesigned RDX was unveiled. Then I was bouncing back n forth since I was partial to driving sedans and never owned an SUV. Then I sat in a TLX ASPEC at an auto show and I was underwhelmed by the interior and that made me decide on the RDX ASPEC.
blexann (08-01-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Rdx 2017

I wanted to buy the CPO 2017 RDX with advanced package due to forward collision prevention. I liked the handling and feel of the car. However, when I got into the 2020 RDX, I felt like the car was 10 years newer then the 2017 RDX. The 2017 RDX was a bit dated even for 2017. I also wanted the whole "Yes, I got a new car feeling."
Old 09-07-2019, 02:18 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
For me it was the CX-5 signature. After test driving it, I realized it was not for me. Acura was much more refined.
Ditto here. I also looked hard at the Lexus NX, and the Audi Q5. Test drove both the CX-5 Signature and the NX back to back with the RDX, and it was no contest.

Driving a new 2020 A-Spec in Apex Blue, and I love it.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,810 Likes on 13,988 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
If the X3 were closer in price I might have been tempted but I doubt it because:

1. I don't trust German reliability and expect to keep the car well beyond the warranty period.
2. It ultimately wasn't as practical in the 2nd row, the hump makes the middle seat a temporary spot whereas it works fine in the RDX for my parents/in-laws.
3. I was paying in cash and the discounts on X3s mostly are bundled with lease deals.

I considered a year old lease return for an X3 which would have put it around the same price as a new A-Spec but it still came with so little in terms of tech that I couldn't justify it. The Q5 and GLC were never considerations for me as their back seats and trunk were too small respectively.

I was more price sensitive than most I think as my wife really preferred the CR-V for its better practicality and smaller size so the leap to a RDX was considered really big for her thus another $5-10K leap to a X3 was going to be a hard sell.
FWIW, German reliability (or lack thereof) is an out-of-date myth. If you take a quick look at JD Power's reliability index for 2019 and even the year before, you have a few German carmakers in the top 10.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...ility-studyvds

Scroll down further in the link I provided and you'll see that for the small/mid-sized premium SUVs, well, a couple of Germans vehicles are the kings.
Majofo (09-08-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
FWIW, German reliability (or lack thereof) is an out-of-date myth. If you take a quick look at JD Power's reliability index for 2019 and even the year before, you have a few German carmakers in the top 10.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...ility-studyvds

Scroll down further in the link I provided and you'll see that for the small/mid-sized premium SUVs, well, a couple of Germans vehicles are the kings.
Just the fact that I see Chrysler, Jeep, GMC, Jaguar and Cadillac above Acura, with Chrysler pretty high even above Honda, makes that lose all credibility 😂😂😂

some of the brands on there deserve to be up at the top for sure, to me that chart looks more like who was willing to pay the most money to be put at the top
gander2112 (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dereileak
Just the fact that I see Chrysler, Jeep, GMC, Jaguar and Cadillac above Acura, with Chrysler pretty high even above Honda, makes that lose all credibility 😂😂😂

some of the brands on there deserve to be up at the top for sure, to me that chart looks more like who was willing to pay the most money to be put at the top
Again, you need to realize that Acura reliability has gone down. Take a look at the topics in this community and you'll see quite a few owners running into issues with their vehicles.

J.D. Power is a VERY reputable market research and is not based on who pays them. You don't know what you are talking about.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Again, you need to realize that Acura reliability has gone down. Take a look at the topics in this community and you'll see quite a few owners running into issues with their vehicles.

J.D. Power is a VERY reputable market research and is not based on who pays them. You don't know what you are talking about.
Ok sure 🎺🏆🎖😂
Old 09-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Myopia is great.
thoiboi (09-08-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you consider buying before pulling the trigger?