What color is best to mask rock chip, bumper scratch, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018 | 06:07 PM
Instructor

What color is best to mask rock chip, bumper scratch, etc

I am looking to get an RDX soon and thinking about the color to get.
Just wondering what color you think is best to mask the exterior "damage" that will happen to the RDX over the years that I will own it?
I get a lot of rock hit on the highway and I have to parallel park which means someone will decided to bumper tap me one way or the other.
I read that lighter color works the best, does it mean I am pretty limited to White and Lunar Silver? Is there any other color that I am missing?
Thanks
Old 07-26-2018 | 02:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by omygod711
I am looking to get an RDX soon and thinking about the color to get.
Just wondering what color you think is best to mask the exterior "damage" that will happen to the RDX over the years that I will own it?
I get a lot of rock hit on the highway and I have to parallel park which means someone will decided to bumper tap me one way or the other.
I read that lighter color works the best, does it mean I am pretty limited to White and Lunar Silver? Is there any other color that I am missing?
Thanks
By far you want to stick to lighter colors if you are worried about chips and scratches showing up. The issue is that a lot of car companies use white or gray primer so when chips occur on a black or dark car they stick out like a sore thumb. My silver MDX looked incredible after 10 years because you couldn't see the chips or scratches well at all however my 8 year old RDX looked like absolute crap because it was dark blue.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE invest the extra few hundred in a clear bra for the front end including bumper, hood, fenders, and mirror caps. I can't tell you how many 10+ year old cars I have seen with the full clear bra that look brand new still. Comparatively my Kia Sorento looked like ABSOLUTE SHIT after only 4 years because it was black and we use a lot of rocks during the winter here and I had no clear bra on it.
Old 07-26-2018 | 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

I have done silver cars for years, extremely forgiving on everything. I wash them and use short bath towels to dry it. If you get very close and look correctly you will see minor clear coat marks from all the use of normal towels. My cars were all leases so I don’t worry and they always looked great. My 19 TLX ASPEC in Modern Steel I had polished and ceramic coated and invested in some good micro fiber towels because I know how easily darker colors will show. I or swirls and stuff. I have had chips in my silver cars that were hard to find. Even the guy that inspected my last turn in located chips I never noticed.
Old 07-26-2018 | 07:08 PM
Nuke

Ditto on the silver. Also does not show the salt crap in the winter. I always make an effort to park a bit further away, try to avoid those who go up and down the aisles looking for the closest spot, then try to back in when they really can’t control the car..I have had many silver vehicles. Having said that, I think I will go with modern steel metallic this time around just for a change.
Old 07-31-2018 | 10:54 PM
Instructor

So, in the end, i took delivery a white tech. I just liked the look better than the silver knowing that silver will be more forgiving. I traded in my black civic hatchback, I don't think anything can be as not forgiving as that black. It was a nice black but everything just show right up.
Old 08-01-2018 | 02:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by omygod711
So, in the end, i took delivery a white tech. I just liked the look better than the silver knowing that silver will be more forgiving. I traded in my black civic hatchback, I don't think anything can be as not forgiving as that black. It was a nice black but everything just show right up.
Congratulations, wishing you many good years with it. Both silver and white are amazing colors for hiding scratches so don't worry, still a MUCH better choice than black.
Old 08-01-2018 | 10:21 AM
Intermediate

This RDX is my third black car. For sure it is extra maintenance for appearance, especially regarding swirls and other micro abrasions. It is especially bad in the door handle area. I notice that Acura sells door handle cup guards that protect the paint. There are also third party products for half the cost. I should try these. Otherwise the Scratch Doctor sort of products work fine for these simple marks.

On the other hand, for chips a dark color makes it super easy to detect and fix a chip before it becomes a real problem.