Warranty Extension: MOST Communication failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Warranty Extension: MOST Communication failure

I received a letter today from Honda Canada for my 2019 Elite SHAWD. Extending my warranty to 6 yrs and 120K km regarding the MOST network bus.
Media Oriented System Transport bus connection becomes loose causing Center Display issues & noise from the speakers.

My car does not have any of these issues. Great car fun to drive.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:29 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
There's a TSB on the MOST connectors. They can cause crackling and audio dropouts. I had the TSB done and the problem got better but not completely. Still happens. So, next service I'll be leaving the car for them to do it again.

I'd like an extension too but haven't received anything.

AT&T / Bell Labs came up with simple ways to connect optical fibers over 50 years ago. I can't understand why it's still a problem for Acura.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 04-19-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:45 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
A family member had the problem with her 2020 Honda Pilot. Because of the high demand for parts, she had to live with it for several weeks.

It was a terrible problem to have. Constant clicks and static sounds coming from the speakers. Turning the volume down, or even turning off the audio system entirely did not stop the sound. She could not even use her phone with Bluetooth.

When I researched the problem I found that several people had resolved the problem by cutting a wire tie on the harness that was tending to pull the connector from the socket on the unit. They then added a new wire tie to take the tension off of the connector. I believe the warranty repair replaces the existing connector with a version that has better latches to prevent the connector from working it's way loose again.

It's odd that I also received a notice that the warranty for the MOST connector would be extended for my 2020 RDX, but she did not receive a letter for her 2020 Honda Pilot.

The OP of this thread (Gate 17) seems to be a fellow Canadian, so perhaps only Honda Canada is issuing the letters. Since this is not a safety recall, it is probably not mandatory that letters be sent in the US. It's more or less just a "polite" thing to do

This is a link to the Honda TSB (I'm not sure if we have the Acura version on this forum). LINK

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 04-20-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
You dont need a letter to have it fixed after warranty
Old 04-20-2021, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The letter says it's "due to component mis-installation and/or the terminals being produced out of specification." If this is the case, they should fix the problem under warranty no matter when it fails, not just six years.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:59 PM
Skeptic

It mainly happens to me going over bumps and rough roads. And around here in the Springtime, it's pothole / patch city.

I've never noticed any problems with the display, only the audio.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:36 PM
Skeptic

Got my notice in the mail today.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Got my notice in the mail today.
is notice sent to people who did not have tsb done?
Old 04-27-2021, 06:25 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by russianDude
is notice sent to people who did not have tsb done?
I had the TSB done but it needs to be done again.

I think it should be sent to all owners in the applicable VIN range. Mostly 2019 and 2020.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I had the TSB done but it needs to be done again.

I think it should be sent to all owners in the applicable VIN range. Mostly 2019 and 2020.

I just got the letter as well. I had TSB done and its working good. Maybe they sent it to all people regardless of who had the TSB?
Old 04-27-2021, 02:19 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Although I did receive the letter, I find it kind of pointless.

The letter just says that many vehicles have experienced this problem, and they know how to fix it If/When it should occur. That's what a TSB is, a set of instructions on how to repair a common problem.

The letter does not say that I can bring by perfectly normal vehicle in to get the parts replaced. This is true for any TSB. For example if a TSB is issued with instructions to replace the drivers seat if it squeaks, doesn't mean I should make an appointment to get my seat replaced.

Since my vehicle is still under warranty, I would have already known enough to bring it back to the dealer when I developed the problem, I didn't need a letter to tell me that.

All the letter provides is a little PR for Acura saying that we are nice guys and extending the warranty on this one part to 6 years.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Although I did receive the letter, I find it kind of pointless.

The letter just says that many vehicles have experienced this problem, and they know how to fix it If/When it should occur. That's what a TSB is, a set of instructions on how to repair a common problem.

The letter does not say that I can bring by perfectly normal vehicle in to get the parts replaced. This is true for any TSB. For example if a TSB is issued with instructions to replace the drivers seat if it squeaks, doesn't mean I should make an appointment to get my seat replaced.

Since my vehicle is still under warranty, I would have already known enough to bring it back to the dealer when I developed the problem, I didn't need a letter to tell me that.

All the letter provides is a little PR for Acura saying that we are nice guys and extending the warranty on this one part to 6 years.

its just a warranty extension. They dont know if you have more than 50k miles and out of warranty. You can bring your new car and complain, I would. They have updated parts for connectors to fix a problem.
they cant verify if you have an issue because system does not store codes to confirm.

Last edited by russianDude; 04-27-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:27 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Gate 17
I received a letter today from Honda Canada for my 2019 Elite SHAWD. Extending my warranty to 6 yrs and 120K km regarding the MOST network bus.
Media Oriented System Transport bus connection becomes loose causing Center Display issues & noise from the speakers.

My car does not have any of these issues. Great car fun to drive.
Just got my notice. Sounds like the MOST bus may be causing all of our weird and intermittent CarPlay issues. Im going to make an appointment to get the fix done.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Question Is This the Same Topic

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...ttlement.shtml

Acura RDX Infotainment Lawsuit Settlement On Hold

Acura RDX infotainment systems allegedly suffer problems with navigation, backup cameras, etc.

By David A. Wood, CarComplaints.comPosted in News
April 28, 2021 — An Acura RDX infotainment lawsuit reached the settlement stage, but the judge overseeing the case refused to sign off on the settlement agreement.

According to the Acura RDX infotainment class action lawsuit, the 2019-2020 Acura RDX SUVs have defects that cause problems with the navigation, audio and backup camera systems.

Problems also allegedly occur when using Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay which cause distractions to the driver.

The RDX SUVs originally came equipped with Apple CarPlay only, but the lawsuit alleges Acura promised that Android Auto would be made available through a software update "soon." However, the class action alleges the feature still hasn't been rolled out.

The RDX lawsuit alleges the automaker has known the infotainment systems are defective but failed to disclose the information to consumers.

The plaintiffs also allege Acura gets out of warranty obligations by telling customers to wait for upcoming infotainment system updates. And even if dealers replace the systems, the replacement systems are allegedly just as defective as the original infotainment systems.

Acura dealers allegedly discourage RDX owners from bringing the SUVs in for repairs by warning customers there isn't anything that can be done about the alleged infotainment system problems.

In exchange for releasing their claims against the automaker, RDX customers may be eligible for an extended warranty of two years or 24,000 miles. Acura has also agreed to better train technicians concerning infotainment systems, and some customers may receive 2 years of free AcuraLink Security Service.

A customer must have made multiple visits to an Acura dealership due to infotainment system problems but the infotainment system wasn't repaired during the initial visit.

It's also possible an owner may be able to receive compensation for "certain costs related to delayed warranty claims, such as transportation and battery recharging costs."

Judge Has Problems With Acura RDX Infotainment Lawsuit Settlement Release

Although the plaintiffs and Acura reached a settlement agreement, Judge R. Gary Klausner declined to certify the Acura RDX class action settlement because "the scope of the release in the settlement agreement is overly broad."
"A settlement agreement may preclude a member from bringing a related claim in the future 'even though the claim was not presented and might not have been presentable in the action,’ but only where the released claim is ‘based on the identical factual predicate as that underlying the claims in the settled class action.’” — Judge Klausner
In other words, the judge says a release of claims that go beyond the scope of the allegations in the lawsuit is not permitted. According to the judge, other courts have declined to certify class action settlement agreements that contained broad releases.

Judge Klausner ruled the plaintiffs may file a renewed motion for preliminary settlement approval.

The Acura RDX infotainment lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, Western Division: Banh, et al., v. American Honda Motor Co.

The plaintiffs are represented by Hagens Berman, Goldenberg Schneider, and Niekamp, Weisensell, Mutersbaugh & Mastrantonio.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:37 PM
Skeptic

Re: Is This the Same Topic

I don't think so. This only relates to the MOST bus connectors.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:36 PM
Pro

I don't think so. This only relates to the MOST bus connectors.
It’s highly likely that all our weird infotainment problems are caused by the MOST bus connectors as ALL the data that runs the entire infotainment system is piped over a single optical cable. We will see as I am getting the MOST fixed on May 12. It’s funny too as a couple days before receiving the notice and appointment my info system went totally berserk with all the symptoms in the letter from Acura. Had to reset it which temporarily got it back up.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
It’s highly likely that all our weird infotainment problems are caused by the MOST bus connectors as ALL the data that runs the entire infotainment system is piped over a single optical cable. We will see as I am getting the MOST fixed on May 12. It’s funny too as a couple days before receiving the notice and appointment my info system went totally berserk with all the symptoms in the letter from Acura. Had to reset it which temporarily got it back up.
My RDX exhibit 3 of the 4 symptoms noted in the letter. I am hesitant to bring the car in for the repair after looking at the TSB instructions. The last time I had mine in for the fuel pump recall the back plastic trims were bent and I could never push it back flush. The clips were broken. I only found out after pulling it out thinking it wasn’t properly seated. Dealer didn’t have the parts and have to order it. I beat them and replace the clips my self for less than $15.

Let us know how it goes.. Also dealer did the TSB for my front control arms squeaking. Both were replaced. It went away but then came back last week on the driver side. As the weather is getting warmer I don’t hear it anymore. If it comes back in the Fall I will bring it back.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:24 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I’m getting mine replaced today. I don’t know if this is a COVID thing or not, but when making the appointment I had the option for them to come pickup my car and drop off a loaner. Don’t like others driving my car, but not having to deal with the annoyance of two separate drives over across the city sure is nice. Do all Acura dealers do this?
Old 05-03-2021, 06:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
My RDX exhibit 3 of the 4 symptoms noted in the letter. I am hesitant to bring the car in for the repair after looking at the TSB instructions. The last time I had mine in for the fuel pump recall the back plastic trims were bent and I could never push it back flush. The clips were broken. I only found out after pulling it out thinking it wasn’t properly seated. Dealer didn’t have the parts and have to order it. I beat them and replace the clips my self for less than $15.

Let us know how it goes.. Also dealer did the TSB for my front control arms squeaking. Both were replaced. It went away but then came back last week on the driver side. As the weather is getting warmer I don’t hear it anymore. If it comes back in the Fall I will bring it back.
I can understand your concerns for sure. If I actually plan on keeping it for awhile I would feel the same. However, my lease is up in Sep and will more than likely get another RDX that I will probably keep long term. Since I will not have it much longer if they mess up the interior no matter. Just trying to see if that fixes the infotainment issues, A 2022 RDX should have all the 2019 problems resolved and fixed. Cheers
Old 05-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ToniRDX19

I am also still having "day/night mode issue with drive mode not available" message issue and others such as, android.process.acore has stopped, AM/FM has stopped, no map on the screen, and cannot change station with thumb wheel. These happens once in a while and turning off the car and wait for 30 minutes or so fixed these. I have just talked to the Service Advisor to setup A167 service and he told me he will perform the TSB for the MOST connector and also replace the sunroof frame (fixing the body flex popping sound). Will report back.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by subin
I am also still having "day/night mode issue with drive mode not available" message issue and others such as, android.process.acore has stopped, AM/FM has stopped, no map on the screen, and cannot change station with thumb wheel. These happens once in a while and turning off the car and wait for 30 minutes or so fixed these. I have just talked to the Service Advisor to setup A167 service and he told me he will perform the TSB for the MOST connector and also replace the sunroof frame (fixing the body flex popping sound). Will report back.

I have some of those same issues, I will be interested in what your dealer says about your issues
Old 05-11-2021, 12:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rdx4me?
I have some of those same issues, I will be interested in what your dealer says about your issues
They know NOTHING. If its not in the error code memory then you have no problem. I am dropping mine off later today for the MOST fix but unless I have a error code they say they won't do anything let alone write down that I am having infotainment issues or if they do and if their is no error code you're out of luck. Should be a interesting afternoon. All the glitches have never shown a error code. Hope I'm in a good mood when I drop off my RDX. :-)
Old 05-12-2021, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tecwerks
They know NOTHING. If its not in the error code memory then you have no problem. I am dropping mine off later today for the MOST fix but unless I have a error code they say they won't do anything let alone write down that I am having infotainment issues or if they do and if their is no error code you're out of luck. Should be a interesting afternoon. All the glitches have never shown a error code. Hope I'm in a good mood when I drop off my RDX. :-)

The MOS issue will not have any codes, mine did not. Have it done first to rule out, and then go from there.