TSBs to do while bringing in the car for service

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 12:03 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
TSBs to do while bringing in the car for service

My service minder is telling me that I need to bring the car in for service. What are some good TSBs to do since I'm bringing my 2019 AWD RDX in? I'm thinking the following...
  • TSB 19-053 - Front and/or Rear Brakes Squeal When Applied at Low Speeds
    • Does this one really fixes it? I know there were multiple TSBs for squeaky brakes.
  • TSB 20-053 - MIL is Flashing with Loss of Power
    • ​​​​​​​Is this one the limp mode one? I haven't had limp mode happen on me. I don't want it to happen while I'm on the highway either. It sounds scary.​​​​​​​
Maybe's?
  • TSB 19-051 - 2019 RDX: ACC Turns Off While in Use
    • I do use this on highways, but it hasn't happened to me before.
Anything else?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-23-2021, 05:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
If you just show up and tell them to do the list of TSBs, they most certainly will not do it for you. You better prepare a good reason for them.
The following users liked this post:
Showkey (09-03-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 06:14 AM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
If you just show up and tell them to do the list of TSBs, they most certainly will not do it for you. You better prepare a good reason for them.
accurate.
you need to explain that you had an issue and the tsbs guide the tech to the solution.

Some dealwes (very rare) will be a little more proactive but most need u out to get the next car in. Time is money
Old 08-23-2021, 06:36 AM
Suzuka Master

For limp mode “please do it for me because I am scared “ will not fly. There are people that actually had it happen and dealer still giving them run arounds. For limp mode, you need to describe the exact symptoms and be very clear that you can not drive like that. Otherwise be prepared that they will attempt to brush it off as “one time thing, and we reset the computer, blah blah”
tecwerks (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
What worked for me few times in the past, use the same keywords that they use to describe issues at those TSB, but refrain from bringing up the TSB or TSB number. Let them do the job of matching your issues to those TSBs.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
There is one specifically that I will be asking for, but I don’t remember the number without digging for it… I don’t think it impacts everyone-the TSB to address a vibration in reverse when the engine is cold.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:05 PM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
What worked for me few times in the past, use the same keywords that they use to describe issues at those TSB, but refrain from bringing up the TSB or TSB number. Let them do the job of matching your issues to those TSBs.
‘Did not work for me until I printed out the 053 tsb and gave it to them. Had to point out that there was no related error code since that’s what they wanted to see.
Ih8honda (08-26-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 03:27 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
When I complained about crackling and dropouts in the audio, they knew right away it was the MOST bus connectors and they did the TSB. It was better but not ALL better, so they have to do it again.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Most companies are reluctant to perform TSB work unless the actual condition exists, or has occurred, on the vehicle. Many (but not all) TSB related issues are rare occurrences and impact very few cars. It helps to have a stored code in the computer so they can read the data recorded (Freeze frame data) when the problem occurred. This confirms the actual problem for them.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:28 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by hans471
Most companies are reluctant to perform TSB work unless the actual condition exists, or has occurred, on the vehicle. Many (but not all) TSB related issues are rare occurrences and impact very few cars. It helps to have a stored code in the computer so they can read the data recorded (Freeze frame data) when the problem occurred. This confirms the actual problem for them.
Regarding TSB-20-053 the TSB itself states that there is NO stored code when or after the problem occurs. Still the idiots at the dealership wanted to see a error code or duplicate the issue, both of which are impossible.
The following 2 users liked this post by tecwerks:
JB in AZ (08-25-2021), Leaf 68 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tecwerks
Regarding TSB-20-053 the TSB itself states that there is NO stored code when or after the problem occurs. Still the idiots at the dealership wanted to see a error code or duplicate the issue, both of which are impossible.

I dont know if they are idiots or pretending to be idiots. I have a feeling they dont want to do this TSB because of crapy reimbursement from Acura and a lot of paper work.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:50 PM
Pro

I dont know if they are idiots or pretending to be idiots. I have a feeling they dont want to do this TSB because of crapy reimbursement from Acura and a lot of paper work.
‘That really should not be my problem. The dealer chose to rep and sell Acura’s. With that comes the good, the bad and the ugly of being in the car dealer business.
Leaf 68 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

‘That really should not be my problem. The dealer chose to rep and sell Acura’s. With that comes the good, the bad and the ugly of being in the car dealer business.
totally agree, just trying to understand their behavior .
tecwerks (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I would just like to add further clarification to how the system works when it comes to dealing with TSB’s. Unlike safety recalls such as airbags that need to be done asap, TSB’s are left to the discretion of the dealer and head office. However, the main point here is that dealer gets reimbursed for the work performed under a TSB at a much lower hourly rate than they get to charge us suckers at retail. Therefore, when you show up they will try pulling all stops before acknowledging the problem. Of course this all depends on the dealership, they are not all the same. But I am willing to bet anyone here that if I showed up at a dealership unscheduled for work on all 4 brakes, pads and rotors, tires, oil and filter change, etc. I get priority over anyone with a TSB issue. Very simple: Show me the money.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Based on TSB they will only get paid between 1.5-1.9 hours, and thats at warranty labor rate which is likely half of the normal rate they charge everyone else. Thats not a lot of money for replacing inter-cooler, and god forbid they scratch your bumper or damage something in the processes… it will come out from dealer pocket.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Another point is payment terms. Most warranty payments/adjustments are done quarterly by the Acura mother ship so the dealer gets paid every 90 days. But the customer like us pays immediately for regular service work.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:13 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Byer2021
I would just like to add further clarification to how the system works when it comes to dealing with TSB’s. Unlike safety recalls such as airbags that need to be done asap, TSB’s are left to the discretion of the dealer and head office. However, the main point here is that dealer gets reimbursed for the work performed under a TSB at a much lower hourly rate than they get to charge us suckers at retail. Therefore, when you show up they will try pulling all stops before acknowledging the problem. Of course this all depends on the dealership, they are not all the same. But I am willing to bet anyone here that if I showed up at a dealership unscheduled for work on all 4 brakes, pads and rotors, tires, oil and filter change, etc. I get priority over anyone with a TSB issue. Very simple: Show me the money.
I can't speak to the motivation of dealers to do TSBs or warranty work but the dealer I go to most often (also where I bought the car) seems to fall all over themselves doing TSBs. They've done at least two for issues I didn't even raise. They just went ahead and did them and told me after the fact when I picked up the car.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I can't speak to the motivation of dealers to do TSBs or warranty work but the dealer I go to most often (also where I bought the car) seems to fall all over themselves doing TSBs. They've done at least two for issues I didn't even raise. They just went ahead and did them and told me after the fact when I picked up the car.

did they fix limp mode?
Old 09-02-2021, 11:06 AM
Skeptic

did they fix limp mode?
No, I never had that happen. That's the thing that happens in the rain if you punch the throttle?

They did something with the front suspension, both sides and one other TSB but I don't remember what it was. I had them do the MOST bust connectors but they have to do it again. The audio dropouts still happen occasionally.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
No, I never had that happen. That's the thing that happens in the rain if you punch the throttle?

They did something with the front suspension, both sides and one other TSB but I don't remember what it was. I had them do the MOST bust connectors but they have to do it again. The audio dropouts still happen occasionally.
Audio dropouts are a sure thing even with the MOST fix. I switched to Bluetooth for music as it dumbs everything down enough for the underpowered processor to make it through the day.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:34 AM
Skeptic

Audio dropouts are a sure thing even with the MOST fix. I switched to Bluetooth for music as it dumbs everything down enough for the underpowered processor to make it through the day.
The MOST bus issues have nothing to do with the source of the audio. The crackling and audio dropouts occur regardless of whether I'm playing music over Bluetooth, a USB or just listening to the radio. It mostly happens when I go over bumps. It's a physical / mechanical problem with the connectors themselves. Some people have complained about system-wide glitches with functionality but I've never had that. Only audio dropouts and crackling in the speakers.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
TSB's that can affect safety they will generally do without much resistance as long as you schedule them ahead of time. I had no problem getting them to do the brake control software TSB.