Transmission System Problem Warning Alert

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Transmission System Problem Warning Alert

So about 3 weeks ago I got a flash warning first was the Blind Spot Information warning, then right after the Transmission System Problem warning went off. The D on the dashboard started flashing so I thought it would be prudent to get off the exit and pull into a parking lot. I shut the car completely down then restarted it. The warnings stayed on and the engine indicator was now all outlined in yellow. So I thought I would just take it over to the dealer. They were kind and looked at it quick and said there no issues it might have been a heat issue on one of the sensors (What ever that means?). They told me if I counted to have issues to bring it back. So I was divine back tonight on about a 3 hour drive. About an hour into it the warning lights reappeared. So I pulled over and tuned off the car then restarted it. The warning lights reappeared but I had no other choice but to keep on driving. I did make another stop. After the car sat for about 10 minutes when I started it again the Blind Spot Information warning is now gone and the Transmission System Problem warning went off. The engine indicator still is all outlined in yellow. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow. I was wondering has anyone had any similar experiences? I paid a lot of mone

y for this car, I don't have time to deal with reseting warning lights all the time. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:19 AM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
No, you should NOT have to be doing resets all the time. I am rather surprised, well maybe not, that the dealer did not "scan" the vehicle and look at any data that might point to an issue causing this. Problem is too many techs just don't want to bother doing any digging.
You have a warranty, make use of it and insist it gets fixed. This is not common and certainly is a problem that needs fixing.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 09:53 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark-RDX
I paid a lot of money for this car, ...
Yes you did. We all did. Take it to the dealer, leave it, get a loaner and have them fix it. Show them the pics.

If you have an OBD-II scanner, or know someone who does, do a scan. If your check engine light is on, something will come up.

Good luck and please follow up. I've never seen anything like that posted here.
The following 2 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
Jigar (01-04-2022), Mark-RDX (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Thanks for your comments. Well I'm a little bit in shock. I did take it back with the printouts of the warning lights, reminded them they checked the codes on the 28th of July and told me all was well. I then told them, that they needed to fix it this time, that the lights caused me to pull over several times the last 24 hours. (It happened again today 3 times). They came into the lounge and fell all over me with they had a loaner all ready to go, asked me if I had everything out of the car and I said yes. I asked them if they had any idea what the issue was and they said the transmission had failed completely. A new one was on the way. They have never had this issue before at the dealer with the 2020's but did have one 2019 that failed. Thoughts?
catbert430 (09-01-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Thank you. I followed your advice. See my other post.

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Yes you did. We all did. Take it to the dealer, leave it, get a loaner and have them fix it. Show them the pics.

If you have an OBD-II scanner, or know someone who does, do a scan. If your check engine light is on, something will come up.

Good luck and please follow up. I've never seen anything like that posted here.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:43 PM
Advanced

Thanks for your remarks. They did scan it on the 28th of July and claimed they saw no issues.

Originally Posted by hans471
No, you should NOT have to be doing resets all the time. I am rather surprised, well maybe not, that the dealer did not "scan" the vehicle and look at any data that might point to an issue causing this. Problem is too many techs just don't want to bother doing any digging.
You have a warranty, make use of it and insist it gets fixed. This is not common and certainly is a problem that needs fixing.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Thanks for your comments. Well I'm a little bit in shock. I did take it back with the printouts of the warning lights, reminded them they checked the codes on the 28th of July and told me all was well. I then told them, that they needed to fix it this time, that the lights caused me to pull over several times the last 24 hours. (It happened again today 3 times). They came into the lounge and fell all over me with they had a loaner all ready to go, asked me if I had everything out of the car and I said yes. I asked them if they had any idea what the issue was and they said the transmission had failed completely. A new one was on the way. They have never had this issue before at the dealer with the 2020's but did have one 2019 that failed. Thoughts?
Well, that sucks, But at least they found the problem, it didn't happen to you on the road and you get a loaner while it is out of service.
Mark-RDX (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 05:00 PM
Skeptic

and they said the transmission had failed completely.
Hmm, ... usually, when a transmission fails completely, it does nothing. Doesn't go into gear, shift or just slips. They have no idea, except that a diagnostic computer is telling them to condemn and replace the transmission. If the transmission is failing, it hasn't yet and at least that's a good thing.

Sounds something like HAL telling Poole and Bowman that the AE-35 unit is going to fail in 72 hours.
The following 2 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
DAC17 (08-13-2021), Mark-RDX (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
22k miles and the transmission took a dump? Ugh. Hopefully this was a one-off and not a recurring theme. I don't see the Accord's having rampant issues, but they're not connected to a SH-AWD system that puts more stress on the transmission. Has the fluid been serviced? Doubt that would be the case either way. Did they offer any potential reason the transmission failed so early?
Old 08-13-2021, 09:15 PM
Advanced

They were overly apologetic and a little edgy, it was odd. They did say it’s only happen once that know of for a 2019 and another 2020. I’m thinking electronics could have been messed up?

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
22k miles and the transmission took a dump? Ugh. Hopefully this was a one-off and not a recurring theme. I don't see the Accord's having rampant issues, but they're not connected to a SH-AWD system that puts more stress on the transmission. Has the fluid been serviced? Doubt that would be the case either way. Did they offer any potential reason the transmission failed so early?
leomio2.0 (08-14-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 11:01 PM
Skeptic

If the transmission was going into gear and shifting, there may not have been anything wrong with it mechanically. More likely an electronic or software problem. Most likely a sensor.
Mark-RDX (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 06:55 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Acura may have told them to change it out so they can take it back and look it over.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Mark-RDX (08-14-2021), Type X (08-24-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 07:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Maybe electronics/sensors inside transmission are not serviceable. Maybe they will remove it and open it to fix? Or they just putting rebuilt unit?
Old 08-14-2021, 07:57 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Hmm, ... usually, when a transmission fails completely, it does nothing. Doesn't go into gear, shift or just slips. They have no idea, except that a diagnostic computer is telling them to condemn and replace the transmission. If the transmission is failing, it hasn't yet and at least that's a good thing.

Sounds something like HAL telling Poole and Bowman that the AE-35 unit is going to fail in 72 hours.
You reminded me of the “Microsoft tech” who called me one Saturday morning telling me my computer was going to crash on 40 minutes!

I agree, it seems odd that a transmission would fail completely but still seemingly work. Could be an unreplacable sensor, but why would Honda do that? Perhaps they are throwing a very expensive part at the car?

Mark, I have had an issue with the backup sensor where I was backing out of a spot and a car was coming, setting off a warning. The warning never turned off, even staying on my entire trip home. Strangely, when I backed into my driveway, the warning turned off but came back on when I put it in drive. Acura dealer could find no problem, so I chalked it up to the glitchiness that defines Acura electronics.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Thanks, Yeah I am leaning towards an electronic issue and they want to study the whole transmission. I do remember the Manager saying Acura did'nt want them to replace any parts or components on the transmission, they wanted a whole swap to take place. I actually prefer that. I am over the shock. I just didn't expect to have an issue so quick, but with my warranty and the fact I live a mile away from Acura, I'm not concerned moving forward.

Originally Posted by Jfkmk
You reminded me of the “Microsoft tech” who called me one Saturday morning telling me my computer was going to crash on 40 minutes!

I agree, it seems odd that a transmission would fail completely but still seemingly work. Could be an unreplacable sensor, but why would Honda do that? Perhaps they are throwing a very expensive part at the car?

Mark, I have had an issue with the backup sensor where I was backing out of a spot and a car was coming, setting off a warning. The warning never turned off, even staying on my entire trip home. Strangely, when I backed into my driveway, the warning turned off but came back on when I put it in drive. Acura dealer could find no problem, so I chalked it up to the glitchiness that defines Acura electronics.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:11 AM
Advanced

They are doing a whole swap. Which I actually prefer.

Originally Posted by russianDude
Maybe electronics/sensors inside transmission are not serviceable. Maybe they will remove it and open it to fix? Or they just putting rebuilt unit?
Old 08-14-2021, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

They were overly apologetic and a little edgy, it was odd. They did say it’s only happen once that know of for a 2019 and another 2020. I’m thinking electronics could have been messed up?
When you pick it up after it’s serviced, do you mind inquiring with the service manager/tech as to what specifically failed in the transmission and report back?
Old 08-14-2021, 08:23 AM
Advanced

I will do my best to find out. I should have it back this Thursday or Friday.

When you pick it up after it’s serviced, do you mind inquiring with the service manager/tech as to what specifically failed in the transmission and report back?
leomio2.0 (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

They are doing a whole swap. Which I actually prefer.
do you know if swap is new unit or rebuild/remanufactured?
Old 08-14-2021, 10:55 AM
Advanced

They used the word rebuilt. You get a wide variety of opinions on which is better. What's your thoughts?

do you know if swap is new unit or rebuild/remanufactured?
Old 08-14-2021, 11:24 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I seem too recall reading when articles first started appearing about this new 10 speed trans. that there would be no repairing at the dealer level, all were to be replaced with the faulty units sent back to Acura.

I think this is good news for you, Mark! Better to have a knowledgeable tech who dos this all the time rebuild one than some 6 month tech at the dealer level, who has never had one open.
Mark-RDX (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 01:21 PM
Advanced

I am at peace. Naturally no one wants this to happen. But in the scope of the world’s problems this is nothing.

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I seem too recall reading when articles first started appearing about this new 10 speed trans. that there would be no repairing at the dealer level, all were to be replaced with the faulty units sent back to Acura.

I think this is good news for you, Mark! Better to have a knowledgeable tech who dos this all the time rebuild one than some 6 month tech at the dealer level, who has never had one open.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark-RDX:
JB in AZ (08-14-2021), markAZ (08-15-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

They used the word rebuilt. You get a wide variety of opinions on which is better. What's your thoughts?
Its not like they gave you a choice. I think this is pretty much standard practice to replace with factory rebuilt unit, they might not have new one separately. Back in the day when they were replacing Acura TL/CL transmissions at warranty, all the units were rebuilt.
Rebuilt is as good as new if it was done properly. The only concern I have that its more manual process and more chance for human mistake.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Not just 10 speed, its standard practice for dealer not to open transmission. Anything wrong, they just swap the unit.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Does anyone know if transmission fluid level is low, will some warning lights go ? They made it difficult to check fluid level....
Old 08-14-2021, 03:07 PM
Skeptic

There is no practical difference. People like to scream bloody murder when the dealer replaces their tyranny with a rebuild while the car is still in warranty. "I WANT NEW!!" But I've never heard anyone putting in a new transmission.

And some theorize that a factory rebuild is even better because it's manually spec'd out and checked out with more attention, but I don't know about that either. It's probably just the luck of the draw. Any complex assembly can just be a lemon.

Mark-RDX (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 03:22 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Very similar situation occurred with my wife's Subaru. One morning nearly every warning light on the dash went off right after she put it in R to leave the garage. A quick search indicated something wrong related to tranny. The car still drove to the dealer without any obvious problem. Subaru replaced all the electronics and harnesses that support the CVT. (No charge, out of warranty!)

Stuff happens, but the right response is critical.
Mark-RDX (08-14-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Does anyone know if transmission fluid level is low, will some warning lights go ? They made it difficult to check fluid level....
It should, because the oil pressure has a higher chance to go low and trip one of the pressure sensors.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:15 PM
Advanced

UPDATE I picked the car up and I am very happy. Yes it is concerning and it's funny that stuff like this happens to me but I really am comfortable that it will be fine. The staff were way over the top apologetic and were shocked to see it happen. On a positive note, the car never left me sit and I got a 2021 loaner for a week and they completed a bunch of maintenance items for me at no charge. I do have to say I can feel a big difference in the transmission going from park to drive or park and reverse. I use to hear and almost feel in the button a thump. That doesn't happen with this one nor the loaner. Lastly I learned that I really love my black interior. The loaner for the week had the tan, it wasn't for me. Have a great rest of your week everyone, hug your loved ones and find joy where you can

catbert430 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear you're back on the road. Did they happen to mention what exactly failed on the old transmission and if so, what could have potentially caused it?
Old 09-02-2021, 06:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Glad everything worker out for you!
Mark-RDX (01-14-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So about 3 weeks ago I got a flash warning first was the Blind Spot Information warning, then right after the Transmission System Problem warning went off. The D on the dashboard started flashing so I thought it would be prudent to get off the exit and pull into a parking lot. I shut the car completely down then restarted it. The warnings stayed on and the engine indicator was now all outlined in yellow. So I thought I would just take it over to the dealer. They were kind and looked at it quick and said there no issues it might have been a heat issue on one of the sensors (What ever that means?). They told me if I counted to have issues to bring it back. So I was divine back tonight on about a 3 hour drive. About an hour into it the warning lights reappeared. So I pulled over and tuned off the car then restarted it. The warning lights reappeared but I had no other choice but to keep on driving. I did make another stop. After the car sat for about 10 minutes when I started it again the Blind Spot Information warning is now gone and the Transmission System Problem warning went off. The engine indicator still is all outlined in yellow. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow. I was wondering has anyone had any similar experiences? I paid a lot of mone

y for this car, I don't have time to deal with reseting warning lights all the time. Thanks for your thoughts.
Hi brother,
I am also suffering from that's issues. Since last week I have been trying to fix it the same issues about transmission system problem and blind spot information issue. For that I took it my Acura RDX 2017 model for check in to dealership but they didn't do anything that whole day and eventually they offered me loaner car but I couldn't wait as I told them early morning since I putted my car for repair that I am coming from 450km away and I have to leave before it's getting dark Beacause it's not safe to travel like that and after 6hrs they didn't do anything with my car and now they recommend me to reschedule appointment for that . I don't have that much time as they believe.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Sounds like the same issue I had. Once they replaced it I haven't had any issues since.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:40 AM
Advanced

They really had no explanation. I am just so happy the way they handled it.

Glad to hear you're back on the road. Did they happen to mention what exactly failed on the old transmission and if so, what could have potentially caused it?
Old 03-25-2022, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

2017 RDX Transmission System Problem, too

Originally Posted by Jigar
Hi brother,
I am also suffering from that's issues. Since last week I have been trying to fix it the same issues about transmission system problem and blind spot information issue. For that I took it my Acura RDX 2017 model for check in to dealership but they didn't do anything that whole day and eventually they offered me loaner car but I couldn't wait as I told them early morning since I putted my car for repair that I am coming from 450km away and I have to leave before it's getting dark Beacause it's not safe to travel like that and after 6hrs they didn't do anything with my car and now they recommend me to reschedule appointment for that . I don't have that much time as they believe.
Are you my RDX twin? I also, first started getting this alternating "Transmission System Problem" and "Blind Spot Info System Problem" message in January, with my 2017 RDX. Called Acura service department while it was happening and the comment was "if it persists, then call us". A week passed before it happened again. I made an appointment for the week following, and in that time the occurrences kept increasing in frequency. I also noticed that each time it happened was when I was highway driving, never city driving. When I brought it in for service, Acura did a triple ATF flush, and all was good until last week and weekend (about 2 months), when I saw the messages again. I called Acura Service once more and they had me bring the car in yesterday, for assessment. I dropped it off and the service guy, based on my description, thought for sure it was just a sensor, as whenever I turned off the car the message would disappear. Unlike the original poster, I have not seen any further warnings, and I've continued driving my car the whole time. He figured the sensor must be reseting each time I turned off the car.

To my surprise, they called me back and told me I'd be getting a new transmission. The order is in and I should have a new transmission in a few weeks. I was anxious to get this solved as my 5 year warranty expires next month, so I'm happy with the timing of course.

I do wonder one other thing. I have not been in the habit of using my paddle shifters to gear down when going down a hill, and only this last winter did I start using them more frequently. I wonder, is this just a coincidence, or could this have contributed to the problem?
Old 02-12-2023, 07:19 AM
2nd Gear

Just had the same issue 2021 RDX

Hi all,

I ran across Mark - RDXs message ... I am now having the same exact issue with the warnings. Was on a highway, made it to where I was going, then on the return trip ... Same thing, except halfway, those two warnings went away, the engine light stayed on, and now the warning became transmission temperature near limit, no fast acceleration and do not drive at high speeds. I slowed down and still made it home, about 30 miles from that point.

So can I assume my transmission will be replaced, based on this thread? I really just need to know if I can drive it until I can take it in. Unfortunately this hit late Saturday, and dealer not open until Monday.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Transmission Issue

Yes, proceed with caution! I almost got stuck 60 miles from home! I basically took it to Acura demanded a loaner immediately and told them to have it fixed. So frustrating.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Transmission Issue

And sorry you are going through this, but it will work out! Stay determined!
Old 02-13-2023, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Btw, did your transmission leak fluid?
Old 02-13-2023, 09:08 AM
Advanced

No, Not at all. It's garage kept, so I would have noticed.

Quick Reply: Transmission System Problem Warning Alert