Test Drove 2022 Acura RDX A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Test Drove 2022 Acura RDX A-Spec

Had the opportunity to test drive a 2022 Acura RDX A-Spec at the Ocean Twp. NJ location. The sales people there are excellent.

I have to be honest and start out by saying that this vehicle is not my first choice. I am hoping to get a 2022 Lexus NX350h. I have been driving a hybrid vehicle for years now and enjoy getting 40MPG. The thought of going back to a fully gas engine that gets 22MPG in an economy where gas is $4 a gallon is a bit concerning for me.

However, I have owned an Acura in the past and love the brand. No doubt they are the most solid cars on the road.

The draw to the 2022 Acura RDX is the ELS Studio in the A-Spec advanced. As an audiophile, one of the things I put first in selecting a vehicle is the stereo system. This is supposed to be one of the best. More on that in a moment.

The RDX is beautiful. It's also very well priced for what you get, though the dealership is adding about $5k in overhead costs because of the chip shortage.

The ride was fantastic. I loved the way it hugged the curbs and when I put it into Sport Mode, it really opened up on the road with excellent acceleration. I am not a professional driver so I can't provide expert driving experience thoughts, but the vehicle rode very well and it was a very smooth ride.

What I absolutely hated prior to getting into this vehicle was the infotainment system. What Acura did here really kills this vehicle. Not only does one have to deal with a trackpad (no touchscreen) but nothing seems to be full-screen enabled and you are faced with split-screen views at all times.

What I can say is that once I got into the vehicle and started using the touchpad and screen, it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. The trackpad is very easy to navigate -- particularly for the way it pinpoints finger location to the screen. I was able to easily scroll through my music as I was driving the vehicle without worrying I was taking my eyes off the road for any length of time. It's completely "do-able" but that kind of tech should no longer exist in a 2022 vehicle.

When I was backing the vehicle into a parking space, I wasn't thrilled that the backup camera took up a tiny portion of the screen. Again, I wish Acura utilized the entire infotainment screen.

Another gripe is though the analog dials look very nice in the information cluster, I wish Acura went all-digital. You can only put a single piece of digital information on the cluster, whereas other vehicles will allow several sources (such as music, navigation) all on the same screen at once. It just feels outdated.

What really impressed me was the ELS Studio. I test drove an A-Spec (but not advanced) and listening to just satellite radio, I was really taken back by its sound quality. Now, SiriusXM usually sounds like garbage on any good stereo system due to its ultra-low bandwidth rate. I have a Lincoln MKZ with a Revel audio system and satellite radio sounds like crap on it. However, to my surprise, this ELS studio did something with the audio to really give it substance.

Next, I hooked my phone up to the vehicle and listened to uncompressed music. The ELS system really did an awesome job providing nicely balanced audio.

But here's the kicker...

There was a 2022 RDX with A-Spec Advance sitting on the lot that was already sold to someone. The dealer let me in it, allowed me to hook up my phone to the stereo system, to test the difference...

WOW! NIGHT AND DAY!

On the A-Spec Advance, I could immediately hear the subwoofer kick in, providing bass that I could feel in the seats. There are two overhead speakers that provide 3D sound and I have to say, this audio system lives up to the hype.

So, my final thoughts is that this is a great vehicle with a crappy infotainment system. However, that being said, If I can't get my hands on a Lexus hybrid, this would be the vehicle I would go with.

The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Go with your gut

I think you're right on the money with that approach NX first, then RDX.

The infotainment and the dash is indeed horribly dated when compared to comparable models. I also hated it at first - less now only because I've embraced that less electronics should make it more reliable and consequently keeps me less likely to be impacted by the chip shortages.

The MPG for the RDX isn’t good at all. If you’re coming from a hybrid getting 40 mpg, you’re going to flip your shyt when you’re getting ~19 mpg on premium gas. If you’re doing a lot of highway driving and are good about staying under 60mph - you’ll get ~23/24. That’s still half of what you are getting now.

The Acura you know of the past, isn’t the same Acura of today. Aside from the number of rattling issues, other things have come up that according to other posts here and conversations with service managers - are widespread.

All that said, I love the way the car drives and I expect the exterior design to age very well. When compared to the competition - the RDX stands as a great value offering a lot in its stock form than others.

Last edited by edu8rdo; 01-06-2022 at 11:42 AM. Reason: grammar
The following 2 users liked this post by edu8rdo:
ESHBG (01-06-2022), oblio98 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by edu8rdo

The MPG for the RDX isn’t good at all. If you’re coming from a hybrid getting 40 mpg, you’re going to flip your shyt when you’re getting ~19 mpg on premium gas. If you’re doing a lot of highway driving and are good about staying under 60mph - you’ll get ~23/24. That’s still half of what you are getting now.
Real world in the winter with my 2021 Aspec SHawd = 15.4 mpg city and 24mpg hwy at 70mph (and lower with higher speeds or a head wind). Just did a 1,100 mile road trip, got 25.4mpg with a 25 mph tail wind on I35. Similar got 22.8 mpg on at slower speeds (55-65mph) with a head wind. Gas mileage is not the RDX's strong point, even with a 10 speed transmission and a turbo 4. With 6.500 on the clock, my average has been 22.2 mpg, using premium Presume you'd get much better in a Hybrid in the city and winter or windy days highway mileage would suffer too.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by edu8rdo

The infotainment and the dash is indeed horribly dated when compared to comparable models. I also hated it at first - less now only because I've embraced that less electronics should make it more reliable and consequently keeps me less likely to be impacted by the chip shortages.

The Acura you know of the past, isn’t the same Acura of today. Aside from the number of rattling issues, other things have come up that according to other posts here and conversations with service managers - are widespread.

All that said, I love the way the car drives and I expect the exterior design to age very well. When compared to the competition - the RDX stands as a great value offering a lot in its stock form than others.

What a helpful response. Thank You.

You are exactly right --- I would flip my shyt going to half the MPG I was getting with a hybrid. I was actually looking at the Genesis 3.5 Sports Prestige which would be my dream car but after paying nearly $65k for it, I couldn't justify the fuel costs.

The Acura is at least $10k less which makes me a little more tolerant of what I would be spending in gas, but still...

This is a horrible time to buy a vehicle but I have no choice. My lease is up in four months. I could probably extend it another 6 but I don't see the situation getting any better by the end of the year. Maybe. Who knows.

I like the Acura, but as you suggested, the Lexus NX would be a better choice for anyone wanting a hybrid.

Thanks for the response.
edu8rdo (01-13-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 05:16 PM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Had the opportunity to test drive a 2022 Acura RDX A-Spec at the Ocean Twp. NJ location. The sales people there are excellent.

I have to be honest and start out by saying that this vehicle is not my first choice. I am hoping to get a 2022 Lexus NX350h. I have been driving a hybrid vehicle for years now and enjoy getting 40MPG. The thought of going back to a fully gas engine that gets 22MPG in an economy where gas is $4 a gallon is a bit concerning for me.

However, I have owned an Acura in the past and love the brand. No doubt they are the most solid cars on the road.

The draw to the 2022 Acura RDX is the ELS Studio in the A-Spec advanced. As an audiophile, one of the things I put first in selecting a vehicle is the stereo system. This is supposed to be one of the best. More on that in a moment.

The RDX is beautiful. It's also very well priced for what you get, though the dealership is adding about $5k in overhead costs because of the chip shortage.

The ride was fantastic. I loved the way it hugged the curbs and when I put it into Sport Mode, it really opened up on the road with excellent acceleration. I am not a professional driver so I can't provide expert driving experience thoughts, but the vehicle rode very well and it was a very smooth ride.

What I absolutely hated prior to getting into this vehicle was the infotainment system. What Acura did here really kills this vehicle. Not only does one have to deal with a trackpad (no touchscreen) but nothing seems to be full-screen enabled and you are faced with split-screen views at all times.

What I can say is that once I got into the vehicle and started using the touchpad and screen, it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. The trackpad is very easy to navigate -- particularly for the way it pinpoints finger location to the screen. I was able to easily scroll through my music as I was driving the vehicle without worrying I was taking my eyes off the road for any length of time. It's completely "do-able" but that kind of tech should no longer exist in a 2022 vehicle.

When I was backing the vehicle into a parking space, I wasn't thrilled that the backup camera took up a tiny portion of the screen. Again, I wish Acura utilized the entire infotainment screen.

Another gripe is though the analog dials look very nice in the information cluster, I wish Acura went all-digital. You can only put a single piece of digital information on the cluster, whereas other vehicles will allow several sources (such as music, navigation) all on the same screen at once. It just feels outdated.

What really impressed me was the ELS Studio. I test drove an A-Spec (but not advanced) and listening to just satellite radio, I was really taken back by its sound quality. Now, SiriusXM usually sounds like garbage on any good stereo system due to its ultra-low bandwidth rate. I have a Lincoln MKZ with a Revel audio system and satellite radio sounds like crap on it. However, to my surprise, this ELS studio did something with the audio to really give it substance.

Next, I hooked my phone up to the vehicle and listened to uncompressed music. The ELS system really did an awesome job providing nicely balanced audio.

But here's the kicker...

There was a 2022 RDX with A-Spec Advance sitting on the lot that was already sold to someone. The dealer let me in it, allowed me to hook up my phone to the stereo system, to test the difference...

WOW! NIGHT AND DAY!

On the A-Spec Advance, I could immediately hear the subwoofer kick in, providing bass that I could feel in the seats. There are two overhead speakers that provide 3D sound and I have to say, this audio system lives up to the hype.

So, my final thoughts is that this is a great vehicle with a crappy infotainment system. However, that being said, If I can't get my hands on a Lexus hybrid, this would be the vehicle I would go with.
The infotainment system is identical in the A-spec and A-spec Advance models so I am sure each must have had the audio configured different;y.
Showkey (01-10-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 04:20 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
The infotainment system is identical in the A-spec and A-spec Advance models so I am sure each must have had the audio configured different;y.
Yes, perhaps one of them had the DTS Neural Surround turned on which COMPLETELY changes the sound (for the worse in my Tech package 12-speaker ELS system anyway). My guess is it was turned off in the Advance model that NJRonbo listened to, as this would explain why they could immediately hear the "subwoofer kick in". That was an immediately noticeable improvement when I turned the DTS Neural Surround off.

Last edited by jkozlow3; 01-07-2022 at 04:22 PM.
tecwerks (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 10:19 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I always have to smile when a dealer says XXXX has made them add thousands of dollars to the price of a car. They are paying Acura the same price for the car as before the shortage. That $5,000 add on is purely their own game to up their profits. They are always looking for something to fine any excuse to fleece their customers. At MSRP they are making several thousands in profit off that car. In fact dealer profits are UP considerably from last year despite the "shortage".

As for audio systems....its personal. I am the odd ball I guess. For me the top of my shopping list is how the car drives, how it matches my expectations in handling, "feel" , braking. Then comes seat comfort and how the "fit" of the vehicle matches up to what makes me comfortable. My RDX is our "longer drive" car and I can spend six or eight hour days in it. Audio system is nice to have but as my wife hates me playing music in the car my system seldom gets turned on. When I am alone I find that when I do use it I have no complaints, it seems to work fine.

I have no use for touch screens so that is non-issue. Everyone is different. As for digital dash...had that on my CR-V and don't seem to find it superior in any way....for me. (That digital display is cheaper to make, BTW). I do however, enjoy my HUD.
Rattles? My '19 Advance has never had a hint of a rattle. Fuel economy: Now, that is one I would like to see improved. A hybrid vehicle is just the way to go for any vehicle that does stop and go driving. On a long trip however hybrid just doesn't help. We drive our Honda Fit on local trips and it gets around 35 MPG in the city, 40-45 on the highway.
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
amcobra (01-17-2022), ESHBG (01-08-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Original post…….. Sounds more like a troll post for Lexus 350 hybrid
Old 01-10-2022, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Showkey

Thanks for the warm welcome here!

Must everything that contradicts your personal beliefs be considered a troll post?

I think I was very honest in my assessment of the 2022 Acura RDX including my initial intentions to get a Lexus Hybrid.

Of course, my preference is with the Lexus because...well...Acura doesn't make a hybrid and I have been a hybrid owner for years.

However, I think I gave a very honest overview of my experience driving the Acura, pointing out a wealth of positive points.

So, I don't know what set you off to think I was trolling this forum. I have been a member here for a long, long time. I have owned an Acura in the past. It's a solid brand and still remains my runner-up choice.

The following 5 users liked this post by NJRonbo:
edu8rdo (01-13-2022), hand-filer (01-10-2022), JB in AZ (01-11-2022), SG103 (01-12-2022), ShouldIBuyNew (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Showkey
Other perspectives are welcome IMO. From a 2021 RDX Aspec SHawd owner for 1 year, I'd say Acura needs to put the necessary resources into hybrid and electric technology NOW. Most other brands are ahead of the curve, and with gas prices climbing in the USA - I surely weight performance with consumption - for a daily and not a track vehicle.

This is what I gulp on when driving in the cold and snow with 60% city driving and a light foot. 13mpg - 15.8mpg real world @ $3.80 for premium gas.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
I pretty much have the same issues with RDX and hence the reasons we don't own it, or any newer Acura for that matter. The infotainment system is lousy, and trackpad (pros to those who like it) is horrendous. I know people who like trackpads in $300 Windows laptops too - does not mean that they are good! Also lack of full screen mode makes the UI tiny for anything usable - I mean economy car tiny. MPG is another factor - if a modern SUV is unable to compete with older V6 gas guzzlers, then that is a problem. Any modern SUV in RDX class has better or significantly better mileage while also offering more performance.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I now drive fewer than 10K miles a year, so gas mileage has a lower impact, and the extra cost of a hybrid might not make one worth it.

Too, I use regular gas with no issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
amcobra (01-17-2022), tecwerks (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 03:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I now drive fewer than 10K miles a year, so gas mileage has a lower impact, and the extra cost of a hybrid might not make one worth it.

Too, I use regular gas with no issues.
Same here, 21k miles in over 3 years. I use regular too, no issues. Once in awhile I might go for premium gas but I really can’t detect any discernible performance hit.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Other perspectives are welcome IMO. From a 2021 RDX Aspec SHawd owner for 1 year, I'd say Acura needs to put the necessary resources into hybrid and electric technology NOW. Most other brands are ahead of the curve, and with gas prices climbing in the USA - I surely weight performance with consumption - for a daily and not a track vehicle.

This is what I gulp on when driving in the cold and snow with 60% city driving and a light foot. 13mpg - 15.8mpg real world @ $3.80 for premium gas.
This is why I have crossed the RDX off of my list. I do 90% heavy city driving and MPG is important to me and these numbers won't work for me.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
This is why I have crossed the RDX off of my list. I do 90% heavy city driving and MPG is important to me and these numbers won't work for me.
I could not believe those mpg numbers too - if I wasn't an owner and drove in super cold and snowy winter weather. Texas summer city driving was a bit better, 17-19mpg - as the car didn't have to heat up - rather just cool the interior. Build quality is excellent, and SHawd is a dream - mpg similar to a gas guzzler 700hp car/suv is not.
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
ESHBG (01-17-2022), tecwerks (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Build quality is excellent
Agree to disagree.

gordonary (01-18-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Agree to disagree.

i disagree to agree 😂
Old 01-18-2022, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep waiting to see what Acura is going to do in the hybrid area. I don't know the "official" story as to why Acura is behind in the hybrid game, but I am pretty impressed with my wife's hybrid CR-V EX-L. No, it's not the same as my 2016 RDX in terms of comfort or power, but the technology (emergency braking, lane departure, adaptive cruise, etc.) and fuel economy are very good. And it includes Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Sirius XM. No need for a factory navigation system with paid map updates when I can use Waze, Google Maps, etc.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:29 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
I would not buy an RDX if it was Battery powered. The technology, while far superior to the original stuff, is still too new. My boss had a Prius and when the battery went it was so expensive to replace he bought a new car - gas powered. Every year this technology continues to improve, however. In 3-5 years most of the battery cars on the road will be relics, and you have to wonder about resale.

Just my thoughts
NBPDC505 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 01:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
I would not buy an RDX if it was Battery powered. The technology, while far superior to the original stuff, is still too new. My boss had a Prius and when the battery went it was so expensive to replace he bought a new car - gas powered. Every year this technology continues to improve, however. In 3-5 years most of the battery cars on the road will be relics, and you have to wonder about resale.

Just my thoughts
How old was his Prius when the battery went out? They're warrantied for 10 years / 150K miles, and the cost to replace the battery packs are around $4000 including labor. The car wasn't worth $4000 anymore at that point?
Old 01-18-2022, 01:22 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
How old was his Prius when the battery went out? They're warrantied for 10 years / 150K miles, and the cost to replace the battery packs are around $4000 including labor. The car wasn't worth $4000 anymore at that point?
Honestly I don't recall. I just know that was the reason he gave for getting rid of it and getting an Audi. It was his wife's car. Maybe he was giving me a line of crap, I don't know. I really wasn't that interested. I just remember him telling me that.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oblio98
Honestly I don't recall. I just know that was the reason he gave for getting rid of it and getting an Audi. It was his wife's car. Maybe he was giving me a line of crap, I don't know. I really wasn't that interested. I just remember him telling me that.
Going from a Prius to an Audi...he was probably looking for an excuse to not piss off the wife . The battery longevity thing really is not a valid excuse for Priuses.
tecwerks (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by fkistner
I keep waiting to see what Acura is going to do in the hybrid area. I don't know the "official" story as to why Acura is behind in the hybrid game, but I am pretty impressed with my wife's hybrid CR-V EX-L. No, it's not the same as my 2016 RDX in terms of comfort or power, but the technology (emergency braking, lane departure, adaptive cruise, etc.) and fuel economy are very good. And it includes Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Sirius XM. No need for a factory navigation system with paid map updates when I can use Waze, Google Maps, etc.
There will be no Acura hybrid, they are skipping this and going to full EV.
tecwerks (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
When Acura goes full EV it's on to another brand for me. Performance hybrid I would love to see on the other hand.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NBPDC505
When Acura goes full EV it's on to another brand for me. Performance hybrid I would love to see on the other hand.
Will you come back when everyone is full EV? Or will it only be used cars forever?
Old 01-18-2022, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Will you come back when everyone is full EV? Or will it only be used cars forever?
Guess we'll see. I'm holding out hope that someone figures out an alternative that doesn't involve everyone driving a soul-less RC car everywhere. The change to electric is attempting to be forced in short order without the infrastructure fully implemented and high cost to match and I'm in absolutely no rush.
The following 2 users liked this post by NBPDC505:
mg3878 (04-21-2022), tecwerks (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
-

Last edited by sonyfever; 01-18-2022 at 09:11 PM.