A-Spec ride quality compared to Tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
A-Spec ride quality compared to Tech

Hey Everyone

I have been interested in the new 2021 RDX lately and would like to know if the 20” tires on the Aspec feel more stiff than the 19”. I would like a smooth ride so I’m debating on the Aspec. I heard you feel bumps more with the bigger tires. I love the looks of it but my concern is the tires. My only other concern is getting them stolen for looking so good lol good area, bad area, happens everywhere.

Are RDX’s high on thieves lists?

Did anyone else have reservations about going with ASpec due to the tires being more of a looker than other models?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:58 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Love my A-Spec with Tech Pkg! No complaints about the ride quality. Personally I love the 20 inch tires. As far as theft is concerned I don’t leave anything of great value in the car or visible when shopping. I never leave the car running unoccupied and always lock my doors. I stay away from known their areas to minimize the opportunity for someone to try and steal my car, plus I always leave my home armed when possible!

Last edited by kboo74656; 10-08-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unfortunately, I've only driven an A-Spec, so can't compare, but in my experience the larger wheels tend to give more feedback from the road. However, my 2019 A-Spec also came with locking lug nuts (one on each wheel). Even if it doesn't come with locking lug nuts, it's a small expense for some peace of mind. This is what I got for my other car (Charger Hellcat) which is high on the list for theft:

For the Acura RDX, the part number would be 71633NBC. For around $60 you get 20 locking lug nuts, and the key.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

Also, maybe look into getting something like a Fobguard security pouch for your key fob. If the fob is close enough to the car, a thief can use signal amplification to access your car without even having to break in...
Old 10-08-2020, 04:57 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Where do you live? No locks or different lugs will stop thieves from getting your wheels if they want them. I don't know how desirable these A-Spec wheels would honestly be.

As for ride quality, the only real way to know for yourself is to test drive both back-to-back on the same roads. And not on smooth roads, but bumpy roads with imperfections. The A-Spec was noticeably harsher than my buddy's Tech, but it's not unbearable. Ride quality certainly isn't a highlight of the A-Spec, but it was worth it for the better looks IMO.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Where do you live? No locks or different lugs will stop thieves from getting your wheels if they want them. I don't know how desirable these A-Spec wheels would honestly be.

As for ride quality, the only real way to know for yourself is to test drive both back-to-back on the same roads. And not on smooth roads, but bumpy roads with imperfections. The A-Spec was noticeably harsher than my buddy's Tech, but it's not unbearable. Ride quality certainly isn't a highlight of the A-Spec, but it was worth it for the better looks IMO.
I live in the Hampton Roads area of Va. The neighborhood I live in is not in a high crime area thank goodness. I’ve driven over some rough roads and have no complaints at all. With all said I love my car.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:03 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts

of course the smaller sidewall will feel stiffer, with the same brand of tires. It also depends a lot on the tire itself. The Oem tires suck, so once you change the tires, both the non-A and Aspec might just ride with more compliance. Depends on the ones you choose. See tire rack dot com.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:41 PM
Retired Geezer

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts
Before the pandemic I test drove both an Aspec and a Platinum Elite. I didn’t notice much of a difference with the ride. The Aspec seemed to have more road noise, however.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I had my A-Spec at the dealers changing the fuel pump recently. The loaner was a base 2020. I did find the base ride quality to be smoother but only slightly.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Intermediate

FYI, I didn't mean to imply that wheel locks and a security pouch for your key fob are going to make one invincible to thieves. In this day and age, if someone wants your car bad enough, the best you can hope for is to slow them down or at least make it harder for them. Thankfully I don't like in a high crime area, and my cars are parked in my garage.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
In this day and age, if someone wants your car bad enough, the best you can hope for is to slow them down or at least make it harder for them.
I never understand it when people make this point about cars. Because, frankly, people could break into everyone's houses any day they wanted to, knowing that everyone is at work. Everyone has tips on how to not have crime happen to you and the real tip is "live in a society where people respect and obey the law." That's why everyone should look at all the rioting and looting that has been occurring all year and be repelled by the mental retardation.
The following users liked this post:
Midwestuser1 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

I didn't mean to start a social commentary. I was trying to give some helpful tips to protect your property. I can't single-handedly change the society I / we live in, but at least there are some things you can do to try and protect your family and belongings until the Utopia we all dream of becomes a reality (which it most likely never will). Also, this is what insurance is for, too… Good luck and stay safe out there!
The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (10-12-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
I start social commentaries at will. It's my thing.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:34 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
In this day and age, if someone wants your car bad enough, the best you can hope for is to slow them down or at least make it harder for them. Thankfully I don't like in a high crime area, and my cars are parked in my garage.
With AcuraLink fully activated, I have some level of comfort knowing I could locate my RDX if it's parked in an area with a cellular connection if it's a joyride theft. If so, I'll know exactly where it's parked, call the authorities, lock / unlock the doors, hit the horn, flash lights, stop the engine...

...not so sure how it would end up in the hands of a professional thief knowing the tricks of the trade...

Old 10-12-2020, 01:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
I find the tech pack barely acceptable in my area, so if A-spec is harsher, it would be a complete no-no for me.

In general, low profile tires means harsher ride and worse fuel economy (more weight).