So there is hope for a decent infotainment in Acura

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
So there is hope for a decent infotainment in Acura

I am not sure how many watched Apple's WWDC 2022 but Apple is working on next-gen CarPlay interface, and Acura and Honda are among a few other manufacturers that will be implementing and bringing that tech to the customers in the near future. Apple is working on integrating additional data such as speed/tach, HVAC etc into the CarPlay interface. I hope that the days of True Touchpad Interface are numbered with this change.

The following users liked this post:
pilozm (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
The problem with Acura's infotainment is twofold:
  1. It sucks for CarPlay.
  2. Most auto journalists don't value it's strengths, and make it seem like the 30 minute learning curve is insurmountable.
(Most people would rather have a touchscreen, but I'm of the opinion, as a runner who has almost been run over twice be people fidgeting with their car touch screens, that touchscreens in cars should be illegal... Sort of like how most people would like to use their phones while driving but we realize it's dangerous so we don't, but for some reason, if the "tablet" is attached it's deemed safe? Studies have shown that touch screen use is incredibly distracting as it involves activating the part of your brain that controls coordination, which is already in use while you're driving, or something like that)

This will hopefully solve both ... but not for years as the tech is not going to debut for another 18 months, and so we will have to wait for next-gen Acura models to see this implemented..
JeremyGNJ (06-12-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
LOL, this just means my entire dash will crash randomly but especially when I'm using Apple Maps and listening to music at the same time. CarPlay has been unreliable trash for me in the 3 years I've owned my RDX - crashes at least every 2nd time I use it.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordster
The problem with Acura's infotainment is twofold:
  1. It sucks for CarPlay.
  2. Most auto journalists don't value it's strengths, and make it seem like the 30 minute learning curve is insurmountable.
(Most people would rather have a touchscreen, but I'm of the opinion, as a runner who has almost been run over twice be people fidgeting with their car touch screens, that touchscreens in cars should be illegal... Sort of like how most people would like to use their phones while driving but we realize it's dangerous so we don't, but for some reason, if the "tablet" is attached it's deemed safe? Studies have shown that touch screen use is incredibly distracting as it involves activating the part of your brain that controls coordination, which is already in use while you're driving, or something like that)

This will hopefully solve both ... but not for years as the tech is not going to debut for another 18 months, and so we will have to wait for next-gen Acura models to see this implemented..

This happens when a car company like Acura tries to get on board with software development. They used to outsource Radio / Navi to 3rd parties like Panasonic, but now they got forced into the software development business, which is failing them because they are clueless on how to do a proper dev op, and that is reflected in how their infotainment works/operates. It shouldn't take them 3 years to fix something, but it does, unfortunately. Savagegeese has a great video about Toyota and their dev op struggles and goals - I wonder where Honda/Acura is in that regard because right now, they have nothing to show off.

Even their cars lost some mojo over time, it feels. They are stuck offering gas-only options that offer mediocre MPG across the board - this is not something they want to be known for when premium gas is about $6.5 or more. They are so stuck with the gas engine that they forget about the hybrid, plug-in, or electric options - again, a poor choice in today's market when gas it thru the roof. It is hard to be an Acura fan when you see them struggling and making poor decisions one after another. I hope that they will hit a turning point soon, but for now, it is difficult to watch what they do.

The following 4 users liked this post by mlody:
Acurafangrl (06-10-2022), amcobra (06-15-2022), hand-filer (06-11-2022), Jordster (06-13-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
It will be a long time before this dash happens. I can only imagine the distraction of trying to find the AC button then hitting the radio button, only for the volume to be set at max,….Someday this will happen.
amcobra (06-15-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by FlopMeister
It will be a long time before this dash happens. I can only imagine the distraction of trying to find the AC button then hitting the radio button, only for the volume to be set at max,….Someday this will happen.
Agree. CarPlay and android auto are good, however moving to more EV models will require the mfg to integrate vehicle data (consumption, miles to empty and etc), as to provide data and routing to the nearest EV charger. Anyone who has driven a Tesla, Ford Mustang MachE or several other EV brands will see all the data required by the new EV vehicles. Plus, those super big dashes will be on the more expensive models and to me it’s better to transmit that data to a virtual heads up display, as staring out that much screen real estate is. To advantageous for safe driving.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
This happens when a car company like Acura tries to get on board with software development. They used to outsource Radio / Navi to 3rd parties like Panasonic, but now they got forced into the software development business, which is failing them because they are clueless on how to do a proper dev op, and that is reflected in how their infotainment works/operates. It shouldn't take them 3 years to fix something, but it does, unfortunately. Savagegeese has a great video about Toyota and their dev op struggles and goals - I wonder where Honda/Acura is in that regard because right now, they have nothing to show off.

Even their cars lost some mojo over time, it feels. They are stuck offering gas-only options that offer mediocre MPG across the board - this is not something they want to be known for when premium gas is about $6.5 or more. They are so stuck with the gas engine that they forget about the hybrid, plug-in, or electric options - again, a poor choice in today's market when gas it thru the roof. It is hard to be an Acura fan when you see them struggling and making poor decisions one after another. I hope that they will hit a turning point soon, but for now, it is difficult to watch what they do.
I take a lot of heat around here for my comments but Acura is heading downward quickly if you look at the brand objectively. The new Integra seems like it will be a hit but much of that is because it's more like a Honda than the current Acura lineup. Acura is a bunch of good ideas that don't really come together properly due to some missteps and a not so clear vision for the brand: sporty, but not quite enough. Luxury, but not quite enough. In the end you get a hodge-podge with no clear identity or really excelling in any one area.

I have not messed with Acura's True Touchpad enough to give a fair assessment but my initial impression was that I didn't care for it and much prefer a touchscreen, or at least the option for one. Honda's was easier to use and doesn't seem to be as buggy, I am happy that they went with that setup for the Integra.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I take a lot of heat around here for my comments but Acura is heading downward quickly if you look at the brand objectively. The new Integra seems like it will be a hit but much of that is because it's more like a Honda than the current Acura lineup. Acura is a bunch of good ideas that don't really come together properly due to some missteps and a not so clear vision for the brand: sporty, but not quite enough. Luxury, but not quite enough. In the end you get a hodge-podge with no clear identity or really excelling in any one area.

I have not messed with Acura's True Touchpad enough to give a fair assessment but my initial impression was that I didn't care for it and much prefer a touchscreen, or at least the option for one. Honda's was easier to use and doesn't seem to be as buggy, I am happy that they went with that setup for the Integra.
Isn't that the entire history of the brand though? I don't think you're stating anything that hasn't been true for 30 years. Has there ever been a point in Acura's history where it was clear what it was supposed to be other than on launch day?

I look at Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti as all missed opportunities for the Japanese to show the world what is possible - they've had a few cars along the way like the NSX, the 1st LS, and the LFA that were world class but otherwise it's never had a cohesive "this is our best work" result.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by supafamous
Isn't that the entire history of the brand though? I don't think you're stating anything that hasn't been true for 30 years. Has there ever been a point in Acura's history where it was clear what it was supposed to be other than on launch day?

I look at Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti as all missed opportunities for the Japanese to show the world what is possible - they've had a few cars along the way like the NSX, the 1st LS, and the LFA that were world class but otherwise it's never had a cohesive "this is our best work" result.
No, it hasn't been the history. In the past you had a clear "bargain luxury" and "bargain sporty" and it was a lot of bang for the buck, plus you had the reliability [overall] on top of that. The 3rd gen. TL/TL-S was a great car and you knew exactly what you were getting when you bought it. I am still driving my '09 TSX and while I may part with it soon, I still enjoy driving it and it does a lot well. The 4th gen. TL got some flak for its looks but I had one as a loaner for an extended period of time and it was a lot of fun to drive, plus SH-AWD made it a bit unique at the time. To me over the years there was a clear direction but then Acura took a hard left (that started with their bizarre trim levels) and it's been muddled since.
Old 06-11-2022, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
No, it hasn't been the history. In the past you had a clear "bargain luxury" and "bargain sporty" and it was a lot of bang for the buck, plus you had the reliability [overall] on top of that. The 3rd gen. TL/TL-S was a great car and you knew exactly what you were getting when you bought it. I am still driving my '09 TSX and while I may part with it soon, I still enjoy driving it and it does a lot well. The 4th gen. TL got some flak for its looks but I had one as a loaner for an extended period of time and it was a lot of fun to drive, plus SH-AWD made it a bit unique at the time. To me over the years there was a clear direction but then Acura took a hard left (that started with their bizarre trim levels) and it's been muddled since.
I see your point but can't agree with it. I still love the TSX (I had a 07) but it was nothing more than a rebadged Euro Accord. Acura got lucky that there was something in the Honda portfolio that could take the entry level slot. IMO, Acura's peak was right around when the 1G TSX, 3G TL, 2G RL, and 2G MDX were all out (the RSX just misses this time) - that was when the brand was most consistent across the board and could conceivably claim multiple products were near the top of the class. Outside of that there's never been a time when Acura was a coherent brand but the runner-ups are the launch lineup of the original Integra/Legend and the current lineup of cars. There's good attempts outside of those time periods (the Integra was always consistent, the MDX is great) but the entire lineup has rarely shown consistency about what they are (the 1G RDX vs 2G RDX is just sad)

Re: Trim levels - I think the current ones aren't great but I don't think they're really that different than past history - the A-Spec is exactly what it always was (an appearance package).
Old 06-11-2022, 12:26 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Acura usually is a step behind the tech and the market to stay competitively priced..

they put out a 4cyl turbo… everyone else does a v6
they put out a v6… everyone else goes 4cyl turbo

they give u carplay
competition gives you wireless carplay lol

they finally make a type s mdx when gas prices are insane after years of people spending pre covid when they could have sold tons…

seems like they always miss the windows avail to them because they have to step back and reevaluate so much

i’m a 20+yr honda n acura buyer and for cost i usually can live with the issues but so many competitors putting out some good stuff that im constantly tempted to bolt lol
amcobra (06-15-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by supafamous
I see your point but can't agree with it. I still love the TSX (I had a 07) but it was nothing more than a rebadged Euro Accord. Acura got lucky that there was something in the Honda portfolio that could take the entry level slot.
Here in the US the TSX was nothing like the Accord so it being rebadged from another country was irrelevant to our market. I had an '08 Base Auto (and had access to the manual and drove it occasionally) and both cars were fun and solid and nothing like a Honda here, it was clearly a step above in materials and driving dynamics.

Re: Trim levels - I think the current ones aren't great but I don't think they're really that different than past history - the A-Spec is exactly what it always was (an appearance package).
Here in the US they are, though, and you have had better trim levels along the way. Where it started to get weird here was with the second gen. TSX where you could get useful or sportier but not both; one had to make a lot of compromises for the SE package but that package looked way better both inside and outside. And then the A-Spec came along and again we had to make compromises and lost a lot of useful daily features e.g. 360 camera, heated steering wheel, power fold in mirrors, remote start.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:58 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
An apple infotainment won’t change my mind about this being my last Acura.

Honda/Acura are so late to the EV transition they’re relying on GM help (embarrassing)…Even so there’s nothing in the pipeline coming out while you have Tesla, VW, Fords, Hyundai with actual EV on the road learning valuable experience.

I won’t be a Honda Guinea pig if and when they finally make their EV.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:33 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts
A lot of whining going on here Acura's are decent vehicles. Variety is the spice of life. Go try something else.
The following 5 users liked this post by ColoRDX:
Acurafangrl (06-13-2022), amcobra (06-15-2022), cale250 (06-12-2022), tecwerks (06-12-2022), Vince D (06-18-2022)