Rock Chip Prone Areas

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2024, 09:33 PM
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Rock Chip Prone Areas

Hi all,

What areas on your RDX are you finding to be the most prone to rock chips? I have already found 2 on the hood of my new 24' RDX. I was able to touch them up, and they look pretty good, but it still makes me mad. However, I know it's a car, my work commute is via the interstate, so I am sure there will be many more that I will get as well.

Thanks, everyone!

Old 08-03-2024, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Hi all,

What areas on your RDX are you finding to be the most prone to rock chips? I have already found 2 on the hood of my new 24' RDX. I was able to touch them up, and they look pretty good, but it still makes me mad. However, I know it's a car, my work commute is via the interstate, so I am sure there will be many more that I will get as well.

Thanks, everyone!
My 2021 paint is super hard. After 45 months, 25k miles with lots of road trips - I have only a few tiny ones on the front bumper. However, I did a DIY PPF on partial hood, partial side fends and mirror caps + tailgate lip and door edge guards. I have two blemishes in the PPF on the hood that saved the paint.
Old 08-03-2024, 10:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
My 2021 paint is super hard. After 45 months, 25k miles with lots of road trips - I have only a few tiny ones on the front bumper. However, I did a DIY PPF on partial hood, partial side fends and mirror caps + tailgate lip and door edge guards. I have two blemishes in the PPF on the hood that saved the paint.
If this wasn't a lease, I'd probably opt for PPF. However, after already getting a nice rock chip in under 200 miles on the hood, I am reconsidering applying PPF. I found a place that seems reasonably priced, so I may opt to have it done.

Do you have your RDX ceramic coated? I am going to go with Meguiars 888 for my ceramic coating. It was between that and C6 Hydrolite, but I am going to give the Megs a go. The reviews on Youtube of it have been awesome, so we shall see!
Old 08-04-2024, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

If this wasn't a lease, I'd probably opt for PPF. However, after already getting a nice rock chip in under 200 miles on the hood, I am reconsidering applying PPF. I found a place that seems reasonably priced, so I may opt to have it done.

Do you have your RDX ceramic coated? I am going to go with Meguiars 888 for my ceramic coating. It was between that and C6 Hydrolite, but I am going to give the Megs a go. The reviews on Youtube of it have been awesome, so we shall see!
Pic was in 2023 after detail and front windshield tint added (Llumar Air 80% ceramic). Looks exactly the same today, as the weekly wash + NexGen ceramic coating added to keep the paint slick.

I used https://www.invisiblemask.com to order the PPF for the hood, mirrror caps and sides of front fenders. Was pretty easy to put on, as I’ve done windows and PPF before.

in terms of ceramic coating, most to me are “snake oil” pitches. I detail the car once a year with an orbital buffer (orange pad or blue), clay bar, polish and then NexGen spray on ceramic coating (Amazon sells it). I apply a quick coating after every wash, and my paint is super slick and deep. It’s a daily, but I want it to look nice and be easy to clean. Also, adding rainx to the exterior windows makes driving in the rain and bug removal easy.

For the black trim, I use Gtechniq C4 Permanent Car Trim Restorer (sold on Amazon), which a little goes and long way and last 6-9 months.

Exhaust tips, by far Meguiar's Metal Polish works the best.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 08-04-2024 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2024, 08:10 PM
Pro

What kind of tire shine do you use? I made the mistake of using Meguiars Insane Shine and had silicone tire shine all of the sides of my black RDX paint. I cleaned the tires well and washed the car. All good now, but last time I use any of that crap!

I need something that produces a shine and will NOT sling once it dries.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
My daily commute takes me past a rock quarry... Always dump trucks and rocks in the road. I also drive a lot and have never owned a car that didnt end up with multiple rock chips on the bumper, hood and windshield.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

What kind of tire shine do you use? I made the mistake of using Meguiars Insane Shine and had silicone tire shine all of the sides of my black RDX paint. I cleaned the tires well and washed the car. All good now, but last time I use any of that crap!

The inexpensive tire foam shine stuff at Walmart. Key for no sling, is to spray it on - let it soak in and then wipe the tire with a micro fiber towel to remove the excess left over. Also, work wonders on the inner wheel wells too.
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would recommend Blackfire Tire Gel. Goes on satin with one coat. If you want a little more shine, do 2 coats. I've never had sling. It will last through 2-3 touchless washes as well. And it is water based so no silicone.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
As for paint chips, I have found Acura white paints to be fairly hard and chip resistant. Black on the other hand is typically very soft. I had my TLX TypeS filmed on the hood, front bumper, and side mirrors, because I know how soft Honda/Acura black paint is.