RIP to my ‘21 A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
RIP to my ‘21 A-Spec

Hi all, sadly my 2021 blue A-Spec that I just got last August was taken out a few days ago

I was heading to work when someone cut in front of me, clipped my front right bumper and pushed me right into the barrier. The road had no shoulder in the left lane so I had no room to avoid it. That hit was hard and busted what I assume was the tie rod and I then was launched across the two lanes and into the right barrier. All airbags deployed and I was lucky to only get some cuts and bruises. And to boot, the other guy kept going!

My insurance has been good and quick to act, already got me a loaner and paid to replace the child seat. Thankfully it was just me in the car and not my 15 month old daughter!! I still have a loan on the car but I made a large down payment so there should be plenty left over to roll into a new vehicle.

I’m hoping I can jump back into another similar RDX but will look for a 2022 this time. I’m also considering a 2022 MDX A-Spec as there are come decent CPO ones around. Drove one yesterday, nice car but feels more sluggish than the RDX. Type-S is out my price range unfortunately. My wife would likely steal the MDX from me if I go that route though haha.

The following users liked this post:
jbooker3 (05-13-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
Sorry to see this happen.

Hopefully you install a dashcam in the next car to catch any future assholes.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,448 Posts
^
Indeed, there is a special place in he!! for recreant miscreants!

Good luck OP.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts
Dang, as long as you are ok, the vehicle can be replaced. Like another reply noted, a two way dash camera is becoming almost mandatory these days. Tesla has them standard in all of their vehicles - hopefully future Acuras do as well.

2022+ RDX Aspec advanced would be on my replacement list if this happened to me, Lots of inventory out there to make a deal - check all the online car search engines (cars.com, cargurus and etc).
jbooker3 (05-13-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 10:10 AM
Racer

Thanks everyone. The Acura did a great job keeping me safe from a big impact. Plenty more out there.

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
2022+ RDX Aspec advanced would be on my replacement list if this happened to me, Lots of inventory out there to make a deal - check all the online car search engines (cars.com, cargurus and etc).
Almost every dealer around has one to a few 2022 RDX Aspecs on the lot that are CPO, so I will definitely do haggling. I’m torn between going back to the dealer I got this car from, as my friends fiancé sold me the car. Their prices are higher than most tho.

There is also a 2022 PMC edition near me. Only thing is while it’s CPO is has unknown damage listed on the carfax and has been on the lot for 6+ months. I find it odd that car would be sitting for so long…. Could be a red flag, but I love that baby blue color!
Old 05-05-2024, 12:26 AM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Your 2021 Blue A-Spec was a beauty.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Twism86
Thanks everyone. The Acura did a great job keeping me safe from a big impact. Plenty more out there.

Almost every dealer around has one to a few 2022 RDX Aspecs on the lot that are CPO, so I will definitely do haggling. I’m torn between going back to the dealer I got this car from, as my friends fiancé sold me the car. Their prices are higher than most tho.

There is also a 2022 PMC edition near me. Only thing is while it’s CPO is has unknown damage listed on the carfax and has been on the lot for 6+ months. I find it odd that car would be sitting for so long…. Could be a red flag, but I love that baby blue color!
I am glad the RDX did its' job and that you are still here with us relatively unharmed. Stuff can be replaced, people cannot.

I would say be very wary of cars that sit on lots for months and months on end. There are a few RDX's in my province that have been for sale for months to a year and the dealer keeps dropping them to the point the price is so enticing that it's almost worth ignoring that they've been sitting so long. But IME when a popular and in demand vehicle is sitting on a lot for months and months and months (provided the price makes sense) then there is most definitely something going on, especially considering the weird carfax history.

Really there is almost no reason to go PMC in 2022+ models IMO except for the cool colors. In earlier models it made sense since it was the only way to combine Aspec with Elite/Advanced packages.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:53 AM
Racer

Yea, I don’t like seeing “damage reported” but no details. Was it scratch in a parking lot that got fixed using insurance? I’m ok with that. Hail damage or something structural? That’s a hard pass.

In my area I’m not seeing any Aspec Advance 2022s around, so that PMC is the only one that fits the bill. I’ll see if I can get more details from them. They recently changed it to CPO to entice buyers it seems.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:23 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
If it is cpo then you can buy the 8yr/120k mile Acuracare warranty online, or the 9yr/150k warranty from the selling dealer (though it will be much more expensive).

With that warranty it reduces the risk of whatever the damage was. We got ours cpo with 6k miles and added the 150k warranty. We've had no mechanical issues on our 22 rdxpmc except the brake squeal which got us free new pads under tsb.

Our other cpo Acura had over 8k in repairs paid for in 4 years for free, so well worth the warranty.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mvl
If it is cpo then you can buy the 8yr/120k mile Acuracare warranty online, or the 9yr/150k warranty from the selling dealer (though it will be much more expensive).

With that warranty it reduces the risk of whatever the damage was. We got ours cpo with 6k miles and added the 150k warranty. We've had no mechanical issues on our 22 rdxpmc except the brake squeal which got us free new pads under tsb.

Our other cpo Acura had over 8k in repairs paid for in 4 years for free, so well worth the warranty.
This PMC has 36k on it which is actually more than my totaled car, which is one draw back but still low for a Honda/Acura. I’m skeptical about adding more warranty as I kind of assume any issues that are serious will come forward before the 100k mark. It also has the tan/cream colored seats which I kinda of hate but could learn to accept. If the deal is right I might jump but I need details on the damage and why the car hasn’t sold. If they try to BS me I’m out. There are some other nice lower mile 2022s regular Aspecs out there.

I’ve also made an interesting observation shopping last August and now again. I consider myself a well informed car buyer. I do extensive research on the model I want, known issues, etc. I also score the dealer site to see what cars they have, read the carfax, compare prices. Then when I talk to sales staff it’s like they know nothing about the cars on their lot?? Are they playing dumb? I would expect a car sales person to know every details of every car they are trying to sell. They often sound surprised when I bring up something I read on their own website, the carfax or they didn’t even know they had a certain model on the lot and features it has!
Old 05-05-2024, 01:40 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
If you research you'll know more than an average dealer sales rep. Acura dealers sell at least 3 cars a day on average so the reps won't have time to keep up on every one of them.

The main reason I get CPO warranties is that they can access the Acura "warranty" labor rate and that means you come out ahead on average vs dealer-sourced repairs. Plus all the proprietary electronic parts are priced at monopoly retail costs despite costing Honda almost nothing in marginal cost to make them.

You can also go to acuracertified.com to find aspec advance models in a wider search radius.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I got a MDX aspec as a loaner for a few days and I was surprised how much sportier the RDX feels. Feels like it mostly comes down to the transmission tuning. Just seemed more down to clown. Definitely nimble for it's size tho.But I'll admit, I immediately noticed how much better the sound system was in the MDX. Sorry to hear about the hit and run. I watch way too much car crash videos on YT. I feel like everyone is gonna run into me at this point
Old 05-05-2024, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea, I don’t like seeing “damage reported” but no details. Was it scratch in a parking lot that got fixed using insurance? I’m ok with that. Hail damage or something structural? That’s a hard pass.

In my area I’m not seeing any Aspec Advance 2022s around, so that PMC is the only one that fits the bill. I’ll see if I can get more details from them. They recently changed it to CPO to entice buyers it seems.
I guess my question is, can you trust the dealer to be honest when pressed? On the flip side I have seen "clean no accident" vehicles according to the Carfax have very obvious signs of an accident when viewed in person so Carfax isn't the be all end all sometimes.
Texasrdx21 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 08:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mvl
You can also go to acuracertified.com to find aspec advance models in a wider search radius.
Thanks, I forgot about that! Where I check there I see cars not listed on the dealers own site so I am not sure which is more up to date.

Originally Posted by blAcura85
I got a MDX aspec as a loaner for a few days and I was surprised how much sportier the RDX feels. Feels like it mostly comes down to the transmission tuning. Just seemed more down to clown. Definitely nimble for it's size tho. But I'll admit, I immediately noticed how much better the sound system was in the MDX. Sorry to hear about the hit and run. I watch way too much car crash videos on YT. I feel like everyone is gonna run into me at this point
I test drove the MDX A-Spec, love the interior and styling but yea, its a dog compared to the RDX. I dont think it is much slower by the numbers but doesnt have same quick and nimble handling of the RDX, which given the extra size is no surprise. I have also already driven the Type-S, so the NA version is kind of ruined for me.... If you think crashes sound bad on dash cam videos, the metal banging and bending, tire screeching and air bags going off is way way worse in person. 0/10 do not recommend.

Originally Posted by RDX10
I guess my question is, can you trust the dealer to be honest when pressed? On the flip side I have seen "clean no accident" vehicles according to the Carfax have very obvious signs of an accident when viewed in person so Carfax isn't the be all end all sometimes.
You said trust and dealer in the same sentence, I think that's an oxymoron. I trust no dealer, even the one I bought my original RDX from and the sales manager was my friends fiancé. I trust numbers and well written warranties with no loop holes. Yes, Carfax is very dependent on what information is actually reported by dealers. I have seen cars listed as getting tires replaced just before the sale only to find a 3+ year old date code and lots of wear.
The following 3 users liked this post by Twism86:
GW208 (05-06-2024), markAZ (05-06-2024), Texasrdx21 (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks, I forgot about that! Where I check there I see cars not listed on the dealers own site so I am not sure which is more up to date.

I test drove the MDX A-Spec, love the interior and styling but yea, its a dog compared to the RDX. I dont think it is much slower by the numbers but doesnt have same quick and nimble handling of the RDX, which given the extra size is no surprise. I have also already driven the Type-S, so the NA version is kind of ruined for me.... If you think crashes sound bad on dash cam videos, the metal banging and bending, tire screeching and air bags going off is way way worse in person. 0/10 do not recommend.

You said trust and dealer in the same sentence, I think that's an oxymoron. I trust no dealer, even the one I bought my original RDX from and the sales manager was my friends fiancé. I trust numbers and well written warranties with no loop holes. Yes, Carfax is very dependent on what information is actually reported by dealers. I have seen cars listed as getting tires replaced just before the sale only to find a 3+ year old date code and lots of wear.
I also test drove an MDX A-spec and for me I found that not only was it VERY boat-like, but also the windows are very skinny which means visibility was abysmal. Now I haven't really driven comparable models (i.e Q7, GLS, Enclave...etc) so my boat-like is in comparison to smaller and more nimble models.

Lol you're right dude, I bought my current Grand Cherokee from my bestfriend's dealership who literally showed me the numbers he paid for it and everything and I STILL do not trust it haha.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:20 AM
Racer

Now that Geico has just about settled my claim I can begin the shopping process again. I had a loan on the car but I owed a good amount less than it was worth, so I'm left with a healthy down payment for the next one. While I've never been through this before, Geico has been very quick it seems. Im considering the following cars that are available in my area......

2022 RDX Aspec in White 16k miles: Same dealer I got my '21 Blue one from, so they are willing to work with me on price if im loyal to them.

2022 RDX PMC in light Blue 36k miles: Vague damage on Carfax but not seeing anything else glaringly wrong with the car. Might be harder to get a good deal.

2021 RDX Aspec in Blue 30k miles: This is literally an exact replacement for my car, with 2k less miles. Red interior which is a plus! A few little spots have touched up but my car had that too. Clean otherwise and I will actually end up with a lower monthly payment than previously. This is more economic and reasonable choice.

2021 Audi SQ5 38k miles: Yea, not an Acura but damn that car drives nice. Slightly more expensive, higher maintenance, and worse warranty but it drives and feels way more solid than any JDM car can even compare too.

2021 BMW X3 M40i 42k miles: I havent driven this option yet, I probably shouldnt if I dont want to buy it as I hear they are beasts!
Old 05-09-2024, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Now that Geico has just about settled my claim I can begin the shopping process again. I had a loan on the car but I owed a good amount less than it was worth, so I'm left with a healthy down payment for the next one. While I've never been through this before, Geico has been very quick it seems. Im considering the following cars that are available in my area......

2022 RDX Aspec in White 16k miles: Same dealer I got my '21 Blue one from, so they are willing to work with me on price if im loyal to them.

2022 RDX PMC in light Blue 36k miles: Vague damage on Carfax but not seeing anything else glaringly wrong with the car. Might be harder to get a good deal.

2021 RDX Aspec in Blue 30k miles: This is literally an exact replacement for my car, with 2k less miles. Red interior which is a plus! A few little spots have touched up but my car had that too. Clean otherwise and I will actually end up with a lower monthly payment than previously. This is more economic and reasonable choice.

2021 Audi SQ5 38k miles: Yea, not an Acura but damn that car drives nice. Slightly more expensive, higher maintenance, and worse warranty but it drives and feels way more solid than any JDM car can even compare too.

2021 BMW X3 M40i 42k miles: I havent driven this option yet, I probably shouldnt if I dont want to buy it as I hear they are beasts!
Also, consider the warranty on all of those vehicles (what’s left, or if it’s extended via CPO). With the average repair out of warranty close to $1k (per my experience on a few vehicles), the warranty means a ton to me. Also, you can get “AcuraCare” extended warranty for way less than a BMW or Audi extended warranty.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

The bonus of the SQ5 over the regular Q5's is it still has real quattro and not Quattro ultra, I believe it also has torque vectoring but don't quote me on that. I drove a 2019 Q5 (S-line) as a loaner for a few hours while my brother's Q7 was being repaired a few years back and man it drove incredibly well. Very very nimble, very quick, and very good fuel economy. The other bonus if the SQ5 is it has the much better ZF 8 speed vs the clunky 7DCT.

Irrespective of warranty though, you also should keep in mind general maintenance. Audi charges $500 for an oil change here, Acura is only $100. It's for that reason alone I am not even looking at a Q5.

I have not driven the latest X3, I hear they are pretty amazing, but honestly after some extremely negative experiences and the horrendous depreciation values I swore off BMW for life.

YMMV, let us know how you make out.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad u r ok

impressive, most impressive
Old 05-10-2024, 10:14 AM
Racer

Well, I went with the economical option!

The PMC sold before getting a look, and then the dealer pissed me off by basically insulting me on my spending limit when he tried to upsell me into something else (Bridgewater Acura can **** off!) Remember buyers, stick to your budget!
The 2022 was also higher than what I wanted to spend, but they were still polite and are my dealer of choice for maintenance (Clinton Acura double thumbs up!!)
I love driving German cars, but they both had more miles, more $$$ and less warranty than I would be happy with. (Everyone at Park Ave BMW and Princeton Audi were friendly and a pleasure to deal with).

I put a deposit on the 2021 RDX A-Spec in Apex Blue Pearl. Same color that I lost (still have the touch up paint). This car does not have the seat sensor recall and is still CPO. Two small touch up spots on the rear trunk (looks like someone opened it to full in the garage) but otherwise the car is very clean. Tires are good and all the fluids, filters and brakes were changed right before certification. Anything else, I have the warranty! I really do love the red interior and was bummed that the car I bought last year didnt have it, so thats an upgrade for me. It also has 2k less miles than my totaled car. They worked with me on the price to where I am satisfied and I got 1.9% financing so that's hard to beat and my payments will be less than my old RDX. Sticking with the same car means I can also still use all the accessories I already have. My experience with Park Ave Acura was great and I cant wait to have "my" RDX back!
ESHBG (05-11-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

The PMC sold before getting a look, and then the dealer pissed me off by basically insulting me on my spending limit when he tried to upsell me into something else (Bridgewater Acura can **** off!) Remember buyers, stick to your budget!
The 2022 was also higher than what I wanted to spend, but they were still polite and are my dealer of choice for maintenance (Clinton Acura double thumbs up!!)
I love driving German cars, but they both had more miles, more $$$ and less warranty than I would be happy with. (Everyone at Park Ave BMW and Princeton Audi were friendly and a pleasure to deal with).

I put a deposit on the 2021 RDX A-Spec in Apex Blue Pearl. Same color that I lost (still have the touch up paint). This car does not have the seat sensor recall and is still CPO. Two small touch up spots on the rear trunk (looks like someone opened it to full in the garage) but otherwise the car is very clean. Tires are good and all the fluids, filters and brakes were changed right before certification. Anything else, I have the warranty! I really do love the red interior and was bummed that the car I bought last year didnt have it, so thats an upgrade for me. It also has 2k less miles than my totaled car. They worked with me on the price to where I am satisfied and I got 1.9% financing so that's hard to beat and my payments will be less than my old RDX. Sticking with the same car means I can also still use all the accessories I already have. My experience with Park Ave Acura was great and I cant wait to have "my" RDX back!
Congratulations! Sounds like the right choice for you! Red interior - wish I would of had that option on the lot when I was getting my 21 - it was mostly in gray and white exterior colors then

Ding dong dealers who have sales people who want to push buyers to higher payment levels - only are looking for their commission.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:59 AM
Racer

Congratulations! Sounds like the right choice for you! Red interior - wish I would of had that option on the lot when I was getting my 21 - it was mostly in gray and white exterior colors then

Ding dong dealers who have sales people who want to push buyers to higher payment levels - only are looking for their commission.
Thanks! Yea I got the gray/ebony interior on my first one as it was good deal with low miles and that mattered more than the leather color. This time it was just the right car at the right time (although unfortunate for my first RDX).

I dont tolerate dealers who are pushy, I went to look at a specific car and was only interested in a very select range of CPO A-Spec RDXs. It sold, no problem. I let them know what my financial situation was and I could make a deal if they could work within that. If they dont have anything in my range thats ok. Dont push a more expensive, non-CPO car on me and then insult me for "aiming too high" when you're the one that tried to suggest it in the first place!! Im also not afraid to call you out on your BS, so NJ/Tristate folks, avoid Bill Vince's Bridgewater Acura!! Specifically Michael L. who is the General Sales Manager, which means this is their business model and not just some rogue pushy salesperson.
The following 3 users liked this post by Twism86:
ESHBG (05-11-2024), hand-filer (05-10-2024), Texasrdx21 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Remember buyers, stick to your budget!
Quoted for truth!
Well Done, OP.
Just a little different situation:
I just had an offer on a home I'm selling.
Buyer wanted $25K shaved off the purchase price, with $25K down, and 1.75% towards his FHA up-front mortgage insurance premium at closing.
He clearly was punching 'above his weight limit' in affordability for this neighborhood, so I promptly sent him on his way.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zeta
Quoted for truth!
Well Done, OP.
Just a little different situation:
I just had an offer on a home I'm selling.
Buyer wanted $25K shaved off the purchase price, with $25K down, and 1.75% towards his FHA up-front mortgage insurance premium at closing.
He clearly was punching 'above his weight limit' in affordability for this neighborhood, so I promptly sent him on his way.
Works both ways. Buying a car/house, stick to your budget. Selling a car/house, dont accept less than your set amount!!
Old 05-10-2024, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I put a deposit on the 2021 RDX A-Spec in Apex Blue Pearl. Same color that I lost (still have the touch up paint). This car does not have the seat sensor recall and is still CPO. Two small touch up spots on the rear trunk (looks like someone opened it to full in the garage) but otherwise the car is very clean. Tires are good and all the fluids, filters and brakes were changed right before certification. Anything else, I have the warranty! I really do love the red interior and was bummed that the car I bought last year didnt have it, so thats an upgrade for me. It also has 2k less miles than my totaled car. They worked with me on the price to where I am satisfied and I got 1.9% financing so that's hard to beat and my payments will be less than my old RDX. Sticking with the same car means I can also still use all the accessories I already have. My experience with Park Ave Acura was great and I

cant wait to have "my" RDX back!

Congratulations dude, I think you definitely made the right choice here! Sure the Q5/X3 are more sporty but the RDX should last much much longer and has the superior AWD system. Plus if you get the itch a tune with much more power is just a few hundred dollars away!

Oh and I LOVE the blue on red color option! I definitely see it fetching a premium in the future. I wish they would have offered silver on red!
Old 05-10-2024, 04:47 PM
Racer

Congratulations dude, I think you definitely made the right choice here! Sure the Q5/X3 are more sporty but the RDX should last much much longer and has the superior AWD system. Plus if you get the itch a tune with much more power is just a few hundred dollars away!

Oh and I LOVE the blue on red color option! I definitely see it fetching a premium in the future. I wish they would have offered silver on red!
I always said "I will do a tune when my powertrain warranty expires." That is 70k miles away now.... If the accident taught me something, its to enjoy what you have now!! Plus, there a plenty of people here with a tune and 0 issues, so I think its time.... Im also annoyed I couldnt take my K&N and PRL intake tube out of my totaled car

Funny, the Audi dealer kept saying "Quattro is King" and I agree its good but until I drove the SH-AWD I had no clue now amazing it was. Best kept secret out there. Quattro and Subaru are second by miles!

Last edited by Twism86; 05-10-2024 at 04:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Twism86:
RDX10 (05-11-2024), Texasrdx21 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 12:51 AM
Suzuka Master

I always said "I will do a tune when my powertrain warranty expires." That is 70k miles away now.... If the accident taught me something, its to enjoy what you have now!! Plus, there a plenty of people here with a tune and 0 issues, so I think its time.... Im also annoyed I couldnt take my K&N and PRL intake tube out of my totaled car

Funny, the Audi dealer kept saying "Quattro is King" and I agree its good but until I drove the SH-AWD I had no clue now amazing it was. Best kept secret out there. Quattro and Subaru are second by miles!
You never know, your dealer might not even care dude. There's some dealers who actually are registered to do the tunes themselves! But aside from that, people on here have pushed their RDX's to north of 350hp and had zero issues. A stage 1 or 2 tune isn't enough to damage anything and will completely transform the RDX. Let us know if you go ahead with it and how you like it!

This is an old video of Quattro vs SH-AWD. SH-AWD is far far superior. I've driven both AWD systems in ice and snow and SH-AWD is BY FAR superior. All around a much much better system IMO.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:02 AM
Racer

You never know, your dealer might not even care dude. There's some dealers who actually are registered to do the tunes themselves! But aside from that, people on here have pushed their RDX's to north of 350hp and had zero issues. A stage 1 or 2 tune isn't enough to damage anything and will completely transform the RDX. Let us know if you go ahead with it and how you like it!
Im going to pull the trigger and give this one a tune. At this point there as so many people running stage 2/3 tunes on stock equipment with no issues that im not worried.

Now the question is.... How the hell do I do it? Never messed with anything along the lines of a flash tune before. My options look like K Tuner or Hondata, with K Tuner looking like the more popular option. I would like to buy something while im still waiting for the car but it looks like I need info off the ECU. Im not interested in having the K Tuner V2 with the screen, as I like a clean look and nothing extra on my dash. Once I get the tuner where do you acquire the tunes? I would like to start with the stage 2 but eventually try that stage 3 phearable.... Vids looks super quick with it. Im ordering my replacement air filter and intake tube today.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Im going to pull the trigger and give this one a tune. At this point there as so many people running stage 2/3 tunes on stock equipment with no issues that im not worried.

Now the question is.... How the hell do I do it? Never messed with anything along the lines of a flash tune before. My options look like K Tuner or Hondata, with K Tuner looking like the more popular option. I would like to buy something while im still waiting for the car but it looks like I need info off the ECU. Im not interested in having the K Tuner V2 with the screen, as I like a clean look and nothing extra on my dash. Once I get the tuner where do you acquire the tunes? I would like to start with the stage 2 but eventually try that stage 3 phearable.... Vids looks super quick with it. Im ordering my replacement air filter and intake tube today.
Phearable stage 3 scares me, I almost feel like it too much of a boost over stock. I would personally stick with stage 1 or 2 just for peace of mind and longevity (keeping in mind there are tons of people on here who have stage 3 and have been totally fine long term). To be honest with you the process confuses the hell out of me because on one hand you have to get the product from a licensed retailer and on the other hand you just order it online. I think for older models you had to send in the ECU. I would make a post in the performance subsection at the top and I a sure one of the guys who've done it will have all the info.

I saw a phearable stage 3 tuned RDX on youtube do a 0-60 run in 4.8s, that's literally bonkers.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:12 PM
Racer

Phearable stage 3 scares me, I almost feel like it too much of a boost over stock. I would personally stick with stage 1 or 2 just for peace of mind and longevity (keeping in mind there are tons of people on here who have stage 3 and have been totally fine long term). To be honest with you the process confuses the hell out of me because on one hand you have to get the product from a licensed retailer and on the other hand you just order it online. I think for older models you had to send in the ECU. I would make a post in the performance subsection at the top and I a sure one of the guys who've done it will have all the info.

I saw a phearable stage 3 tuned RDX on youtube do a 0-60 run in 4.8s, that's literally bonkers.
It looks like I can order the Ktuner 1.2 directly from phearable and add on the stage 3 tune for a big discount. Even if I don’t use the stage 3 right away I can just stick to Ktuner’s stage 2.

I’ve been watching those same YouTube’s, that’s incredible performance for the value of this car. For the “small” cost of a Ktuner and tune, it now competes with cars costing 10k more! I think stage 2 would be nice for daily driving and load the stage 3 up for spirited weekends when I want it. Or to show up my friends who bought more expensive German cars!!
Old 05-14-2024, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

It looks like I can order the Ktuner 1.2 directly from phearable and add on the stage 3 tune for a big discount. Even if I don’t use the stage 3 right away I can just stick to Ktuner’s stage 2.

I’ve been watching those same YouTube’s, that’s incredible performance for the value of this car. For the “small” cost of a Ktuner and tune, it now competes with cars costing 10k more! I think stage 2 would be nice for daily driving and load the stage 3 up for spirited weekends when I want it. Or to show up my friends who bought more expensive German cars!!
Sounds like your RDX will have more mo-jo than normal - for less than a grand. May be add lowering springs, better brake pads and slotted/drilled rotors and a free flowing air intake too.

As for expensive German cars, if a Tesla Model Y Performance shows up (same price range) it will smoke everyone around by a long shot - it's just violent from 0-80mph. .

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 05-14-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:49 AM
Racer

Sounds like your RDX will have more mo-jo than normal - for less than a grand. May be add lowering springs, better brake pads and slotted/drilled rotors and a free flowing air intake too.

As for expensive German cars, if a Tesla Model Y Performance shows up (same price range) it will smoke everyone around by a long shot - it's just violent from 0-80mph. .
I dont count Tesla's as real cars LOL! My electric R/C car is super fast too, I just cant sit in it, otherwise they are the same.

I ordered my PRL intake tube and K&N filter already. The dealer just did the brakes all around, so I will wait until those are worn a bit before upgrading. I would like to go with R1 Concepts but im not sure if they support the RDX. Im not interested in the lowering the RDX as I do take it on some back roads from time to time and dont want it sitting any lower.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

I dont count Tesla's as real cars LOL! My electric R/C car is super fast too, I just cant sit in it, otherwise they are the same.

I ordered my PRL intake tube and K&N filter already. The dealer just did the brakes all around, so I will wait until those are worn a bit before upgrading. I would like to go with R1 Concepts but im not sure if they support the RDX. Im not interested in the lowering the RDX as I do take it on some back roads from time to time and dont want it sitting any lower.
Awesome on the performance parts! Agree on not lowering - as that would just make a SUV into a wagon - there is peace of mind not scrubbing the front under spoiler in the parking lots and steep driveways.

As for the Tesla - to me it's a "real car" with superior performance. If you haven't driven one - once you do it will change your mind on future options. The instant torque is down right addicting.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:45 AM
Racer

Awesome on the performance parts! Agree on not lowering - as that would just make a SUV into a wagon - there is peace of mind not scrubbing the front under spoiler in the parking lots and steep driveways.

As for the Tesla - to me it's a "real car" with superior performance. If you haven't driven one - once you do it will change your mind on future options. The instant torque is down right addicting.
Been in a Tesla, but that was just an Uber so they werent having fun with it. Never driven one myself. My boss just got the Y-Performance, so maybe I can convince him to let take it for a spin. Aside from not buying into the electric car thing, Im not a fan of Tesla styling, particularly the interiors. I do like the Polestar styling all around.

Last edited by Twism86; 05-14-2024 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Superior performance and hardware store parts sourcing.

Last edited by hand-filer; 05-14-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Superior performance and hardware store parts sourcing.

What the heck is that picture of. Nothing wrong with reliable, store parts that perform. Much better IMO that rare parts that are hard to source and break all the time - I’ve been to that show on a few vehicles - waited weeks to get parts (that broke again prematurely).

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 05-14-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:08 AM
Burning Brakes

What the heck is that picture of. Nothing wrong with reliable, store parts that perform. Much better IMO that rare parts that are hard to source and break all the time - I’ve been to that show on a few vehicles - waited weeks to get parts (that broke again prematurely).
Tesla Model Y owners find cheap Home Depot trim propping up cooling system
Old 05-15-2024, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

That appears to be a "staged" photo and article. from 4 years ago to get views. That is not the quality Tesla puts out.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:46 AM
Racer

Right now I'm just waiting on Geico and Honda Financial to settle out the lien on my totaled RDX before they pay me out the rest. Deposit is already placed on the "new" one but the dealer is antsy to get it off the lot. I want to use my insurance $ for the down payment and not front it all myself. I made the smart choice of replacing my car with the same one for a good deal and not spending more than I need, so I'm still sticking to my plan and not shelling out my own cash yet.

My new PRL intake tube and drop in filter should be here today. I think I've finally decided to go with the Ktuner from phearable with a stage 3 but I need my ECU model to place an order, so that will have to wait until I have the car. No other "mods" planned except to try and repair to poorly fixed paint chips on the trunk and some front tints.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

That appears to be a "staged" photo and article. from 4 years ago to get views. That is not the quality Tesla puts out.
Not a staged photo.
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/36274/...rade-fake-wood
https://www.inverse.com/input/tech/t...rade-fake-wood
https://grandtournation.com/cars/ind...s-owner-finds/
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-y-o...-to-1844999285
https://www.pressreader.com/canada/t...82591675358839
https://interestingengineering.com/t...ooling-systems

Why is Musk so eager to get the shareholders to agree to restore his 56 billion dollar pay package? The company is on the verge of imploding. He wants his cash before the shit really hits the fan.

Last edited by hand-filer; 05-15-2024 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: RIP to my ‘21 A-Spec