Remote start in closed garage: Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018 | 11:55 AM
Instructor

Remote start in closed garage: Dangerous?

The remote start through AcuraLink runs for ten minutes by default. In a closed unheated two-car garage is that enough time to build up dangerous levels of CO or other emissions?

I ask because leaving the door open in wintry weather could create a mess.
Old 12-17-2018 | 12:54 PM
10th Gear

You are kidding right?
Old 12-17-2018 | 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Darwin award nominee right here...
Old 12-17-2018 | 12:57 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by tangible
The remote start through AcuraLink runs for ten minutes by default. In a closed unheated two-car garage is that enough time to build up dangerous levels of CO or other emissions?

Not only that, but if said garage is attached to the house, even if all of the doors are closed, you are highly likely to introduce dangerous levels of CO2 into the home.
Old 12-17-2018 | 01:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Darwin award nominee right here...
Didn't you ever hear that saying that there's no such thing as a stupid question? Anyway, I've already reproduced, so I'm beyond the reach of the forces of natural selection.

After a little googling, it appears that what I've actually been doing, opening the garage door before remote-starting the engine, also isn't safe. From the Iowa State U site:

"Is it safe to briefly warm up a car in an open garage? No. In an Iowa State study, warming up a vehicle for only two minutes with the overhead door open raised CO concentrations in the garage to 500 ppm. Ten hours after the car had been backed out of the garage, there was still a measurable concentration of CO in the garage. Persons working in the garage for a long period of time would breath a dangerous amount of carbon monoxide."

That's bad news as we head into winter. My other car, a Honda Clarity PHEV, can pre-heat without turning on the ICE, drawing power from the 40-amp charger or, if not connected, from its traction battery. A plug-in RDX would be nice, for lots of reasons.
The following users liked this post:
1_SSMTL05 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018 | 02:07 PM
Latent car nut

Didn't you ever hear that saying that there's no such thing as a stupid question? Anyway, I've already reproduced, so I'm beyond the reach of the forces of natural selection.

After a little googling, it appears that what I've actually been doing, opening the garage door before remote-starting the engine, also isn't safe. From the Iowa State U site:

"Is it safe to briefly warm up a car in an open garage? No. In an Iowa State study, warming up a vehicle for only two minutes with the overhead door open raised CO concentrations in the garage to 500 ppm. Ten hours after the car had been backed out of the garage, there was still a measurable concentration of CO in the garage. Persons working in the garage for a long period of time would breath a dangerous amount of carbon monoxide."

That's bad news as we head into winter. My other car, a Honda Clarity PHEV, can pre-heat without turning on the ICE, drawing power from the 40-amp charger or, if not connected, from its traction battery. A plug-in RDX would be nice, for lots of reasons.
Why fuss with preheating; just turn the damn thing on, fasten your seat belt, and drive.
Old 12-17-2018 | 02:15 PM
Racer

Another reason to keep your phone secure with fingerprint bio-metrics. A six year old can't start the car playing around with Acuralink in the phone.
Old 12-17-2018 | 03:32 PM
Pro

On a modern vehicle that is running properly, the short answer is "no". However, I shouldn't have to point out how incredibly stupid it would be to test that theory.

That quote comes from an Iowa State University Agricultural Engineering Note that is two decades old. AEN's are informal publications. AEN-207 references some Iowa State study, but does not give a citation for it. Without the text of that study, we don't know which vehicle(s) were used for testing (they could have a used a poorly-tuned 1973 Cadillac with no catalytic converter for all we know).

Modern engines produce extremely low levels of CO - most of what comes out of the tailpipe at idle and part-throttle is CO2 and water vapor. CO will poison you quickly. CO2, on the other hand, is what we exhale. The danger with too much CO2 is displacing oxygen causing asphyxiation - not poisoning. An internal combustion engine would begin to misfire and stall once oxygen levels get too low for complete combustion at which point further consumption of O2 and poisonous emissions would stop. As this relates to factory remote start systems, if the "check engine" light comes on during a remote start such as would occur if oxygen levels got too low and the ECU could no longer maintain the proper air-to-fuel ratio or the engine began misfiring, the remote start would be terminated. I highly suspect someone trying to commit suicide by idling a modern vehicle in an enclosed garage would probably become frustrated and give up long before they were successful.
Old 12-17-2018 | 03:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zroger73
however, i shouldn't have to point out how incredibly stupid it would be to test that theory.
this
Old 12-17-2018 | 04:08 PM
Racer

My daily commute is 2.9 miles and after 1 mile the heater blows out warm air on my 2005 TL. I as suspect a 2019 will warm up much faster.
Old 12-17-2018 | 04:15 PM
Pro

This is what I do, I check the weather on my iPhone and when cold temps are predicted I turn on a small heater in the garage the night before. When I leave for work at 0400 the car and garage are both toasty warm. The car is already warm and no deadly CO2 build up. Everyone lives!!
Old 12-17-2018 | 04:39 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by lil12002
My daily commute is 2.9 miles and after 1 mile the heater blows out warm air on my 2005 TL. I as suspect a 2019 will warm up much faster.
Hell, for a 2.9 mile commute I'd either walk or run, regardless of how cold it is.
Old 12-17-2018 | 04:44 PM
Pro

I would gladly trade my 29 mile one way commute for a 2.9 mile commute any day!
Old 12-17-2018 | 04:46 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

I asked my wife to check that question out. She went out to the garage about two hours ago and hasn't returned. Should I be concerned?
The following 6 users liked this post by EFR:
Curious3GTL (12-17-2018), flames9 (12-17-2018), Madd Dog (12-17-2018), Outfitter (12-24-2018), thoiboi (12-17-2018), zroger73 (12-17-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-17-2018 | 05:58 PM
Drifting

"I've already reproduced, so I'm beyond the reach of the forces of natural selection."

Not if you kill your family. Entire families HAVE been killed by CO poisoning. Common sources include malfunctioning heaters in RVs or camper trailers, malfunctioning furnaces, and smoldering fires. But I know of a case locally where it was a car idling in a garage. Sadly, in that case it may have been a deliberate act.

This is potentially an increased hazard with modern tightly sealed homes, because they don't have a steady fresh air breeze flowing through them like older homes.

Carbon monoxide is damn sneaky. Don't mess with it. Make sure you have functioning CO detectors in your home, but don't expect them to save you from deliberate stupidity.

End sermon. Be safe out there.

Last edited by Wander; 12-17-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2018 | 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

...Modern engines produce extremely low levels of CO...
That may be true but they still produce enough that when my wife starts her car in the attached garage then runs back in to get something she forgot there's enough CO entering the house to set off a detector 2 rooms away from the garage door. Good news is the detector scares the hell out of her so she doesn't do it very often.
Old 12-17-2018 | 06:25 PM
Pro

I use a small electric heater with a built in fan and tip over protection to circulate the heat in the garage really cold days. Haven't used a gas furnace since I was little.
Old 12-17-2018 | 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

That quote comes from an Iowa State University Agricultural Engineering Note that is two decades old. AEN's are informal publications. AEN-207 references some Iowa State study, but does not give a citation for it. Without the text of that study, we don't know which vehicle(s) were used for testing (they could have a used a poorly-tuned 1973 Cadillac with no catalytic converter for all we know).

Modern engines produce extremely low levels of CO - most of what comes out of the tailpipe at idle and part-throttle is CO2 and water vapor. CO will poison you quickly. CO2, on the other hand, is what we exhale. The danger with too much CO2 is displacing oxygen causing asphyxiation - not poisoning. An internal combustion engine would begin to misfire and stall once oxygen levels get too low for complete combustion at which point further consumption of O2 and poisonous emissions would stop. As this relates to factory remote start systems, if the "check engine" light comes on during a remote start such as would occur if oxygen levels got too low and the ECU could no longer maintain the proper air-to-fuel ratio or the engine began misfiring, the remote start would be terminated. I highly suspect someone trying to commit suicide by idling a modern vehicle in an enclosed garage would probably become frustrated and give up long before they were successful.

In other words.. still a bad idea
Old 12-17-2018 | 07:07 PM
Pro

I don't run my car in the garage AT ALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. By using a small electric heater it keeps the space comfy. The only time I have used my remote start is when I have been in a store for a while and I'm on my way out to the car. I have known about the dangers of CO2 for a while now. I was taught the right way by my Mom. Now I hope that makes it clear enough.
Old 12-17-2018 | 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

I put my pond fish in a big tub in the garage a few years ago during the winter. Bare in mind I did this many times in the past but I did something different this time around. I had my RDX in the garage and would start it with the big door open of course. Well my fish all died over the course of 2 weeks that year and I couldn't for the hell of me figure out why. I realized after it was because of starting the car in the garage. Pleass don't do it, even with the door open. Not worth it.
Old 12-18-2018 | 01:46 AM
Drifting

That is credible. Although fish don't "breathe air" they depend upon oxygen for aerobic metabolism, and they transport the oxygen from their gills to their tissues with hemoglobin contained within red blood cells, just as we do. The main problem with carbon monoxide is that it binds to hemoglobin with much higher affinity than oxygen. This progressively reduces the number of molecules of hemoglobin that are available to carry oxygen, in a dose and time dependent manner. ( CO has other mechanisms of toxicity, but they are highly technical. )

CO can be displaced from hemoglobin by oxygen, but it is a relatively slow process. It's like trying to move a bowling ball with a BB gun. It takes a whole lot of BBs and it doesn't happen very fast. Unfortunately, by the time symptoms of CO poisoning manifest, the victim is already in dire straits. Prompt removal from exposure to CO is essential. Administration of pure oxygen is the primary treatment, possibly in a hyperbaric chamber.

BTW, although carbon dioxide ( CO2 ) is less toxic than carbon monoxide ( CO ), CO2 is NOT inert. CO2 is a component of the primary system that maintains the pH in our bodies, the CO2/bicarbonate buffer system. ( CO2 combines with water to form carbonic acid ). In high doses, CO2 causes a rapid drop in serum pH and severe, potentially fatal, compromise. This is independent of available oxygen. As an illustration of this, you may recall from the movie Apollo 13 ( or if you have an especially long memory, from the live televised newsfeed of the calamity ) that a major concern wasn't that the astronauts would run out of oxygen before they got back to earth, it was that the carbon dioxide scrubbers weren't keeping up because the lunar module wasn't designed to host three astronauts.

And yes, biochemistry and medicine are within my professional expertise. ( Or were; I'm retired ). Now let's get back to talking about cars. Safely.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wander:
birdonamission (12-18-2018), MI-RDX (12-18-2018), zroger73 (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018 | 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
...It's like trying to move a bowling ball with a BB gun. It takes a whole lot of BBs and it doesn't happen very fast....
Love it.

Old 12-18-2018 | 10:32 AM
Azine Jabroni

Alright, let me start by saying remote start in a car in a closed garage is a VERY BAD IDEA.

From my Chemical Engineering background:
Basically, what happens in a car engine is you create two different main reactions:
Hydrocarbon + Oxygen -> CO2 + H2O (Complete combustion. This is the main reaction in a car engine)
Hydrocarbon + Oxygen -> CO + H2O (Incomplete combustion. This is a side reaction which, in modern engines, is minimized)

Now, in most engines today, you're going to get mostly CO2. That's an asphyxiant, which is bad. Now, if you're not in the car in the garage with the door closed, that's not the biggest deal.

What will kill you, particularly if your car is in a garage attached to your house, is the CO from the incomplete reaction. If you inhale CO2, your body doesn't do anything with it. If you inhale CO, your hemoglobin process actually has a higher affinity for Carbon Monoxide than it does for Oxygen. As a result, your blood fails to distribute oxygen and it kills you.

From what I have read, it's unlikely that running the engine in your closed garage on accident will kill you, but DO NOT RISK IT. My mother in law's first fiance died of CO poisoning in his house and had no idea it was happening.
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018 | 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
That is credible. Although fish don't "breathe air" they depend upon oxygen for aerobic metabolism, and they transport the oxygen from their gills to their tissues with hemoglobin contained within red blood cells, just as we do. The main problem with carbon monoxide is that it binds to hemoglobin with much higher affinity than oxygen. This progressively reduces the number of molecules of hemoglobin that are available to carry oxygen, in a dose and time dependent manner. ( CO has other mechanisms of toxicity, but they are highly technical. )

CO can be displaced from hemoglobin by oxygen, but it is a relatively slow process. It's like trying to move a bowling ball with a BB gun. It takes a whole lot of BBs and it doesn't happen very fast. Unfortunately, by the time symptoms of CO poisoning manifest, the victim is already in dire straits. Prompt removal from exposure to CO is essential. Administration of pure oxygen is the primary treatment, possibly in a hyperbaric chamber.

BTW, although carbon dioxide ( CO2 ) is less toxic than carbon monoxide ( CO ), CO2 is NOT inert. CO2 is a component of the primary system that maintains the pH in our bodies, the CO2/bicarbonate buffer system. ( CO2 combines with water to form carbonic acid ). In high doses, CO2 causes a rapid drop in serum pH and severe, potentially fatal, compromise. This is independent of available oxygen. As an illustration of this, you may recall from the movie Apollo 13 ( or if you have an especially long memory, from the live televised newsfeed of the calamity ) that a major concern wasn't that the astronauts would run out of oxygen before they got back to earth, it was that the carbon dioxide scrubbers weren't keeping up because the lunar module wasn't designed to host three astronauts.

And yes, biochemistry and medicine are within my professional expertise. ( Or were; I'm retired ). Now let's get back to talking about cars. Safely.
While the fish do not breathe oxygen like we do, there was a filter on the back of the tank agitating the surface for gas exchange and I'm guessing too high of a concentration of CO built up in the water killing the fish.

I took a few organic chemistry and bio chemistry courses, my Major is Biology. I just wanted to say your explanation on the mechanisms of CO vs 02 and Co2 is spot on.
Old 12-18-2018 | 10:49 PM
Cruisin'

Lol
Old 12-19-2018 | 05:30 AM
Racer

How cold is this garage that you have to warm up the car before leaving, especially if it’s attached to the house? Sheesh!
Old 12-19-2018 | 06:20 AM
Pro

Sheesh the smugness on this forum is overbearing. Since the living area is on top of the garage and the garage door is not insulated yet the space tends to GET COLD IN WINTER! So placing a small space heater helps to keep it warm overnight and helps with the space above even with the rest of the house being insulated. If you don’t like it or agree oh well it’s my house and I live there not you. Do whatever you want in your home and I quite frankly could care less. Now it’s settled.
Old 12-19-2018 | 06:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Master47
How cold is this garage that you have to warm up the car before leaving, especially if it’s attached to the house? Sheesh!
Maybe you would be a little less contemptuous if you considered that some people are very old, or very young, or frail.

It seems to be acceptable on this forum to say, “I have spoken, therefore it’s time to end the discussion.” I, for one, am happy to read the thoughts of others. If I get bored I will stop reading. You can too.
Old 12-19-2018 | 07:55 AM
Pro

Go have a soy latte and therapy goat session and keep it to yourself ok. Bye now!
Old 12-19-2018 | 03:32 PM

Moderator's note; thread has ran it's course.