RDX vs Q5

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
RDX vs Q5

i thought I was all ready to sign papers and give deposit for RDX (AWD Advance) that dealer should be receiving within a month that is the color I want but then yesterday I looked at a Q5. Kind of wish I hadn’t as there were some things I liked about it. Here are some advantages I noticed for both based on my visit to Audi dealer:

RDX: Not nearly as expensive as Q5, more cargo space (I keep my golf clubs in cargo area all the time during golf season)
Q5: Folding power mirrors, able to zoom in and out of navigation system while driving, I believe addresses can be stored for family/friends in navigation system but not sure.

i will probably go with RDX mainly due to price and that I have had both previous generations of RDX and loved both. But looking at Q5 has made my decision a little tougher.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,583 Likes on 953 Posts
Honestly, it’s very tough to choose a car now.
Way too many options out there. I hope you make a decision that will make you happy but with new RDX is definitely at the top. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
ShouldIBuyNew (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
The RDX checks every box for total features at the lowest cost it seems. If you hone in on specifics and particular performance of features you’ll find differences in execution, and areas where it’s not the best. For example, I’m not sure why they went to a 4 cylinder turbo, it doesn’t appear to be for gas mileage over the previous 6 cyl. From what I read it’s not as smooth/refined as the previous. If you look at the camera clarity compared to others in the segment, it’s certainly lacking, but the box is checked for surround view on the Advance model. There are other features that are best in class such as the HUD and a subjective measure of the infotainment interface (I'd separate that from software execution, as it gets a different grade, but can be updated easily after launch)

Overall, the RDX was my choice as the best overall package, while I could see some others honing in on two or three specifics and make a different choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Master47:
B25Nut (09-23-2018), ShouldIBuyNew (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
I looked at the q5 and seriously thought it was the front runner before I went and drove it. It drove fine, just as expected, but the center console took up too much legroom, and the hard edge of it dug into my lower leg around the knee. If you couple that with the dealership experience that wasn’t interested in making a sale, tried talking me out of options that I wanted, and only had limited colors, the q5 lost.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:06 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by qwxilvr
I looked at the q5 and seriously thought it was the front runner before I went and drove it. It drove fine, just as expected, but the center console took up too much legroom, and the hard edge of it dug into my lower leg around the knee. If you couple that with the dealership experience that wasn’t interested in making a sale, tried talking me out of options that I wanted, and only had limited colors, the q5 lost.
Similar experience. Indifferent dealer essentially telling me to buy the packages on the lot, and did not care what I personally wanted and could build on the site. Could not get what I did want without having to buy lots of stuff I did not want, at a price measurably more than the RDX which did have what I did want.

Acura: “You don’t want the all weather mats? Then don’t buy the all weather mats.”
Audi: “All of our cars have the protection package.“ “I don’t want the protection package.” “All of our cars have the protection package.”

Last edited by Madd Dog; 09-23-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
One thing I can not stand with the Q5 is the rear view .. Fake Exhaust pipes .... What's up with that ???
Old 09-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Similar experience. Indifferent dealer essentially telling me to buy the packages on the lot, and did not care what I personally wanted and could build on the site. Could not get what I did want without having to buy lots of stuff I did not want, at a price measurably more than the RDX which did have what I did want.

Acura: “You don’t want the all weather mats? Then don’t buy the all weather mats.”
Audi: “All of our cars have the protection package.“ “I don’t want the protection package.” “All of our cars have the protection package.”
I had a great experience at my local Audi dealer. We got back from a test drive and it wasn’t until we went up to the front door that I saw that the dealership closed 1 1/2 hours ago. Sales person spent a lot of time with me, I test drove both a Q3 and Q5, and sales person took her time and gave me no indication that it was way past their closing time. But after thinking about it all day, I think I still want the RDX. I just don’t want to spend what the Q5 would require for features I want. I looked at the Q3 because I really don’t need the size of the RDX or Q5 and it was certainly a lot less expensive than Q5 but the cargo area was way to small. Actually I wish that Acura made a subcompact SUV. I’m planning to meet with my Acura local dealer this week, hoping we can agree on price and trade-in allowance. If I’m not satisfied with what they offer, I guess I’ll just keep my 2016 RDX and put off looking again until next Spring or Summer. But hopefully I’ll have a new RDX soon!
Old 09-23-2018, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 876 Likes on 670 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmod
one thing i can not stand with the q5 is the rear view .. Fake exhaust pipes .... What's up with that ???
right?!?!?! I hate those fake tips!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dcmod
One thing I can not stand with the Q5 is the rear view .. Fake Exhaust pipes .... What's up with that ???
Agreed!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:51 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
right?!?!?! I hate those fake tips!
But lots of ladies have them.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 876 Likes on 670 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
But lots of ladies have them.
Hey, even on the ladies the fake ones never feel like the real ones....but they usually do look purdy so hmmmm