RDX Steering wheel position

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 12:57 PM
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 114 Posts
RDX Steering wheel position

Hello,
Maybe it's the flat bottom steering wheel on my 24 Aspec Advance, but I swear it seems like the steering wheel position sits much higher than my 21 Aspec did. Has anyone else noticed this? I wish I could pull it down further, but the lowest it goes is still pretty high.

Just curious if anyone else has issues or doesn't like the steering wheel height position. I can live with it as I love the vehicle, I just wish it was more adjustable.

Old 09-06-2024, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I can't specifically speak to the 2024 Aspec advance but the owner's manual seems to indicate it is adjustable. See page 214 or the image I've attached. Don;t forget that many of these functions can be programmed to a specific fob. My #1 fob has my setting; th #2 fob is the wife's settings. And if you've reached the lowest setting, then see if the distance from the body is comfortable. Since the steering column is angled, the front to back position has some effect on the height.

Last edited by John from PA; 09-06-2024 at 01:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (09-06-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 07:41 AM
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 922 Posts
Can't you raise your seat height or does your head hit the ceiling?
Old 09-09-2024, 11:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 314 Posts
I don't recall having any issues with the flat bottomed wheel on a loaner I got a while ago. If it's bothering you, go to the dealer and try another car to make sure there is not something wrong with the adjustment mechanism in your car.

I set the steering by pulling it out to where my arms are at 120 degrees, then adjust the height so I have a clear view of the gauges through the top of the wheel.
Old 09-11-2024, 06:33 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
The fact that Acura Continues to Omit a power tilt /telescoping Steering wheel is Mind Numbing to me. Even in the Top of The line models. For a fully Loaded 19-25 RDX does not include this feature. I've had that in my last 6 cars (4 Infinitis, and now my second Acura [22 MDX Advance]). It works so well with the Auto Exit and Auto Entry Memory system. Once You have that feature, it is hard to omit it. FWIW, I am toying with a trade down to a 25 RDX A-Spec Advance to possibly replace my 22 MDX Advance (lease expired in August, currently on a 6 month Extension). I was disppointed to learn that Acura Did NOT include the new Touch screen InfoT. system that is in the new 25 MDX!! I'm in the CON Camp on the TTIP. After 3 years - still don't like it. Having HUD in my MDX makes things a bit easier and using the steering wheel controls helps to accept it. I do norice that the 25 RDX did enhance thier screen - going full screen in AA or CP mode. I will need to test drive one B4 I proceed. One of the Cons to TTIP is its terrible operation in AA or CP mode - acting like a Very SLOW mouse pad. I am curious to know Real World MPGs with the RDX. The MPGs in the MDX is at least 15% below thier EPA ratings, especially in City/ Suburban driving.
Old 09-11-2024, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Almatti
The fact that Acura Continues to Omit a power tilt /telescoping Steering wheel is Mind Numbing to me. Even in the Top of The line models. For a fully Loaded 19-25 RDX does not include this feature. I've had that in my last 6 cars (4 Infinitis, and now my second Acura [22 MDX Advance]). It works so well with the Auto Exit and Auto Entry Memory system. Once You have that feature, it is hard to omit it. FWIW, I am toying with a trade down to a 25 RDX A-Spec Advance to possibly replace my 22 MDX Advance (lease expired in August, currently on a 6 month Extension). I was disppointed to learn that Acura Did NOT include the new Touch screen InfoT. system that is in the new 25 MDX!! I'm in the CON Camp on the TTIP. After 3 years - still don't like it. Having HUD in my MDX makes things a bit easier and using the steering wheel controls helps to accept it. I do norice that the 25 RDX did enhance thier screen - going full screen in AA or CP mode. I will need to test drive one B4 I proceed. One of the Cons to TTIP is its terrible operation in AA or CP mode - acting like a Very SLOW mouse pad. I am curious to know Real World MPGs with the RDX. The MPGs in the MDX is at least 15% below thier EPA ratings, especially in City/ Suburban driving.
Most brands omit something that seemingly should be there. For example, many cars don’t have the same level of controls for passenger and driver but RDX does. Many don’t have 4 way lumbar until you get to highest trims but the RDX does. So the electric tilt/telescope missing is not that big of a deal unless you have had it in the past (it’s always hard to give up something one is used to).
Texasrdx21 (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 907 Likes on 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I find the absence of the power tilt and telescoping wheel to be a very strange omission as well, especially considering direct competition models like the NX and QX50 have had one since 2017 and 2009 respectively. You can also find it on top trims of models like the Edge, Murano, Grand Cherokee, Explorer...etc.

I had it on my 07 MDX Elite, my 07 Veracruz Limited and my current Jeep GC Limited as well. I will add though that I think the Q5 still doesn't have one and some some upper tier companies like Volvo don't on any models (even on their 100k+ XC90!). So it's not entirely wild that the RDX doesn't.

I am just glad that the RDX has a wonderfully tilt and telescoping wheel and is the first SUV I have driven in my life that allows me to telescope the wheel far enough to drive with my hands on the 10 and 2 position while keeping both elbows comfortably on the center console lid/door arm rest. That more than makes up for the missing power steering wheel. I am 6'2 for reference with long legs so most vehicles have me uncomfortably reaching for the wheel.
Old 09-11-2024, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDX10
I am just glad that the RDX has a wonderfully tilt and telescoping wheel and is the first SUV I have driven in my life that allows me to telescope the wheel far enough to drive with my hands on the 10 and 2 position while keeping both elbows comfortably on the center console lid/door arm rest. That more than makes up for the missing power steering wheel. I am 6'2 for reference with long legs so most vehicles have me uncomfortably reaching for the wheel.
These days 9 and 3 is recommended over 10 and 2. There's no 10 and 2 with the optional joystick steering in Tesla.
RDX10 (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 907 Likes on 690 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
These days 9 and 3 is recommended over 10 and 2. There's no 10 and 2 with the optional joystick steering in Tesla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDboDByUD90
Sorry I meant 9 and 3! But good video lol