Polish and Wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Polish and Wax

I’m sure this has been discussed a thousand times before but new ideas always help. What are you favorite washes, polishes and waxes for your RDX. I have been a Zaino guy for years but lately have leaned towards Chemical Guys. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2023, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolaur
I’m sure this has been discussed a thousand times before but new ideas always help. What are you favorite washes, polishes and waxes for your RDX. I have been a Zaino guy for years but lately have leaned towards Chemical Guys. Thanks in advance!
Everyone has an opinion on this topic. Kind of OCD on keeping my stuff pristine, but my vehicles are "daily" drivers in all weather conditions (pouring rain, snow and sub zero temps in the winter + 100+ temps in the summer.

Weekly washes regardless of weather - in the winters I've done the touches car washes with undercarriage spray to keep the build up low. Acura paint is very hard - so the few scratches or swirl marks from normal care - can easily be buffed out with a light polish.

I use the following which has kept my RDX paint and trim looking new and slick for almost 3 years.

Exterior: Yearly clay bar, orbital buffer with a light polish + orange pad - then a few coats of spray on ceramic or graphite sealer. Prefer this to an expensive ceramic coating, as it's just as slick when applied monthly and able to remove scratches or blemishes easy.
Exhaust tips: A good metal polish works well.
Windows: RainX by far is the best windshield coating - last 3-5 months. Takes 10 minutes to apply and less than $8. No need for a super expensive windshield coating.
Tires: Any good spray foam shine and that can be used on the inside of the wheel wells too.
Wheels: A good wheel brush, some dishwashing soap in a bucket and all the dirt is removed without harsh chemicals. Acura brakes omit very little brake dust. The coat with a spray on ceramic stuff.
Black trim and plastic: Trim restore is the best - several products out there - I tend to stay away from the products that say they seal it for a year or so. Found that never works, and when it fades - you are to strip the old product off to put new on to look good.
Interior: A good leather cleaner and conditioner monthly - including in the steering wheel.
Carpets: A multi purspose carpet cleaner with a brush - does the mats and carpet without soaking them.
Good microfiber car towels and NEVER wash them with fabric softener - just soap.

If you have a house and garage - invest in a car power washer - Amazon has them for $100.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts
This forum has crazy wide ranging sets of advice. Here's my process.

I wash weekly and do not have any marring or swirls outside of the piano black surfaces that get a polish & recoating about every 6 months

BASE - prework
Wash, IronX, Wash, clay if necessary, polish with orbital + CarPro Essence, 1 coat GTechniq Crystal Serum Light, 2 coats GTechniq EVOv4

MAINTENANCE
  1. TIRES: Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner + stiff tire brush
  2. WHEELS: P&S Brake Buster foamed with an IK pump foam sprayer, barrels cleaned with EZ Detail Brush, faces with a soft microfiber wheel cleaning mitt
  3. WASH: rinse, foam with MTM PF22.2 + KochChemie GSF, rinse + final rinse with CR Spotless water
  4. DRY: big water with Ryobi leaf blower, final dry with BigBoi heated dryer - no towels necessary
  5. SEAL: either Gyeon Q2M Wet Coat before final CR Spotless rinse or topcoat on paint and wheels with Gyeon Q2M Ceramic Detailer
  6. TIRES: KochChemie PSS
EQUIPMENT
  1. Karcher Pressure washer (K1700 Cube) - needs upgrade/replacement as its beginning to die after 4 years of pretty heavy use
  2. MTM Hydro SG28 gun w/50' Cobra Hose
  3. MTM Hydro PF22.2 foam cannon/gun
  4. DIW20 CR Spotless water deionizer
  5. BigBoi BlowR Mini +
Old 08-02-2023, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knakane
This forum has crazy wide ranging sets of advice. Here's my process.

I wash weekly and do not have any marring or swirls outside of the piano black surfaces that get a polish & recoating about every 6 months

BASE - prework
Wash, IronX, Wash, clay if necessary, polish with orbital + CarPro Essence, 1 coat GTechniq Crystal Serum Light, 2 coats GTechniq EVOv4

MAINTENANCE
  1. TIRES: Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner + stiff tire brush
  2. WHEELS: P&S Brake Buster foamed with an IK pump foam sprayer, barrels cleaned with EZ Detail Brush, faces with a soft microfiber wheel cleaning mitt
  3. WASH: rinse, foam with MTM PF22.2 + KochChemie GSF, rinse + final rinse with CR Spotless water
  4. DRY: big water with Ryobi leaf blower, final dry with BigBoi heated dryer - no towels necessary
  5. SEAL: either Gyeon Q2M Wet Coat before final CR Spotless rinse or topcoat on paint and wheels with Gyeon Q2M Ceramic Detailer
  6. TIRES: KochChemie PSS
EQUIPMENT
  1. Karcher Pressure washer (K1700 Cube) - needs upgrade/replacement as its beginning to die after 4 years of pretty heavy use
  2. MTM Hydro SG28 gun w/50' Cobra Hose
  3. MTM Hydro PF22.2 foam cannon/gun
  4. DIW20 CR Spotless water deionizer
  5. BigBoi BlowR Mini +
When can I drop my RDX off - that's an impressive products for detailing!
Old 08-02-2023, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
My approach to this...

1. Drive to the neighborhood car wash.
2. Tell the guy which wash I want.
3. Pay for it & wait till they're finished.
4. Drive home.

It's only a car for pete's sale...

To each his/her own...
The following users liked this post:
Twism86 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 02:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
When can I drop my RDX off - that's an impressive products for detailing!
Lol.. get to Cali and I'll hook you up!...

I've always been into caring for cars since my dad has had me helping him since I could walk basically. The obsession because real during covid 2020 when I started going down the detailing rabbit hole. I landed on my process and dont really intend on changing it any time soon. Probably purchased and tried more than 100 products in all categories to eventually land on what I detailed above. I am really impressed with the Gyeon line for their ease of use and results. Soon I will be removing all of the GTechniq coatings and replace them with Gyeon MOHS + Skin to see how that performs...

But of course, to each their own. I hate a dirty, scratched car and fortunately I can carve out time on weekends to wash the vehicles in our household. Other car is a 2020 Honda CR-V with the same protection set I have on my RDX...
Texasrdx21 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
My approach to this...

4. Drive home.

To each his/her own...
I agree in principle, but some of us actually enjoy detailing our cars.
Also, I am cheap and very picky, so I am probably the only one willing to put up with me as a customer!
RDX10 (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 05:57 PM
Racer

your second statement there is exactly how I feel. I am also probably the only one that will put up with me.. and maybe you in that case as well lol... I dont even like to valet the car cuz im like "man, what are they gonna touch and put fingerprints on..."
The following 2 users liked this post by knakane:
MJ4RDX (08-02-2023), RDX10 (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Being a details oriented person, I get a deep satisfaction in dealing my car. Finding all the details is fun to me - finding the nooks and crannies where dirt and grim hides, making sure the door jambs get attention after a wash, clean lug nut holes, the gap around the rear window...that frigging honeycomb plastic on the rear bumper that loves to trap dirt, and of cours the front grille with all its diamond shapes and tight gaps...

Washing, I use the two (or three for wheels and tires) if needed
Dry with leaf blower and wipe down the left over with waffle weave towel....
Wipe down door jambs, under hood, under tailgate
Wipe down will final detailing spray
Treat plastic/rubber with All Seasons Dressing and/or Hyper Dressing

Once a year major detail
Wash per above
Clean engine bay
Clay including glass!
Paint Correction (depends on how bad your paint is- Ultimate Polish works for me)
Couple of coats of wax
Final Detailer spray
Windows
Treat all the plastic rubber as noted under wash

Every few months, couple of coats of wax to help protect/maintain

Last edited by rdx4me?; 08-02-2023 at 06:33 PM.
amcobra (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
My approach to this...

4. Drive home.

To each his/her own...
Some of us really enjoy washing and detailing our vehicles. I get a lot of satisfaction washing the dirt and grime off and putting on a fresh cost of wax.
MJ4RDX (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Everyone has an opinion on this topic. Kind of OCD on keeping my stuff pristine, but my vehicles are "daily" drivers in all weather conditions (pouring rain, snow and sub zero temps in the winter + 100+ temps in the summer.

Weekly washes regardless of weather - in the winters I've done the touches car washes with undercarriage spray to keep the build up low. Acura paint is very hard - so the few scratches or swirl marks from normal care - can easily be buffed out with a light polish.

I use the following which has kept my RDX paint and trim looking new and slick for almost 3 years.

Exterior: Yearly clay bar, orbital buffer with a light polish + orange pad - then a few coats of spray on ceramic or graphite sealer. Prefer this to an expensive ceramic coating, as it's just as slick when applied monthly and able to remove scratches or blemishes easy.
Exhaust tips: A good metal polish works well.
Windows: RainX by far is the best windshield coating - last 3-5 months. Takes 10 minutes to apply and less than $8. No need for a super expensive windshield coating.
Tires: Any good spray foam shine and that can be used on the inside of the wheel wells too.
Wheels: A good wheel brush, some dishwashing soap in a bucket and all the dirt is removed without harsh chemicals. Acura brakes omit very little brake dust. The coat with a spray on ceramic stuff.
Black trim and plastic: Trim restore is the best - several products out there - I tend to stay away from the products that say they seal it for a year or so. Found that never works, and when it fades - you are to strip the old product off to put new on to look good.
Interior: A good leather cleaner and conditioner monthly - including in the steering wheel.
Carpets: A multi purspose carpet cleaner with a brush - does the mats and carpet without soaking them.
Good microfiber car towels and NEVER wash them with fabric softener - just soap.

If you have a house and garage - invest in a car power washer - Amazon has them for $100.
Great advice on the microfibers...Fab softener as well as dryer sheets will plug up the micro fibers. I also soak them in an all purpose cleaner (Meguiar's) for a day before washing..
Invest in high quality MF the ones at Costco don't qualify...but are OK for interiors, tires and grunt work

I like these guys

https://theragcompany.com/collections/all-microfiber

If limited in budget invest in a nice DA machine (don't waste your money on a cheap ' buffer'

IMHO a DA is more important that a power washer...but opinions vary

Last edited by rdx4me?; 08-02-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Texasrdx21 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 01:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rdx4me?
Great advice on the microfibers...Fab softener as well as dryer sheets will plug up the micro fibers. I also soak them in an all purpose cleaner (Meguiar's) for a day before washing..
Invest in high quality MF the ones at Costco don't qualify...but are OK for interiors, tires and grunt work

I like these guys

https://theragcompany.com/collections/all-microfiber

If limited in budget invest in a nice DA machine (don't waste your money on a cheap ' buffer'

IMHO a DA is more important that a power washer...but opinions vary

Those microfiber towels look incredible lol. But damn they're pricey 🤔🤔
Old 08-04-2023, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
A couple products that I love for their versatility and performance are Optimum No Rinse (ONR) and CarPro Perl. ONR can be used as a rinseless wash, a waterless wash, a quick detailer, an interior cleaner, and a window cleaner and it does all of that remarkably well. CarPro Perl works on plastic, rubber (tire and trim), and leather. Can't go wrong with either and they both go a very long ways.

I think for everything else it's just a matter of preference/brand loyalty as most stuff works just fine - it's the user, not the product that makes the most difference. I tend to go with CarPro products now - I've used their stuff a lot and like their performance and don't feel a need to change. Stuff like Reset, Retyre, Descale, IronX are all excellent but other brands offer similar products too.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
I used to be a Zaino guy too. The proliferation of ceramic products has kinda made them obsolete, at least in terms of daily driver detailing.

During the COVID shutdown, I put a lot of time into researching and trying the modern detailing products. The biggest takeaway was that the best bang for your buck (and time) in terms of paint shine and protection is either Turtle Wax Seal n Shine or Griots All-in One Ceramic. They’ll last at least a season (more if garaged) and take less than 20 mins to apply. Also way more foolproof to apply than the pro grade longer endurance ceramics.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a high-endurance ceramic for the sharkskin RDX wheels? I’ve been putting that project off because I hate, hate, hate doing wheel work haha.

I think the foam cannon fad is overkill (and too much damn equipment, haha). Looks cool for those marketing their detailing biz, but I prefer to stick with Gold Class in buckets and a nice microfiber sponge.

Last edited by jmhumr; 08-05-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhumr
Does anyone have a recommendation for a high-endurance ceramic for the sharkskin RDX wheels? I’ve been putting that project off because I hate, hate, hate doing wheel work haha.

I think the foam cannon fad is overkill (and too much damn equipment, haha). Looks cool for those marketing their detailing biz, but I prefer to stick with Gold Class in buckets and a nice microfiber sponge.
Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour is very popular as a ceramic coating for wheels. Lasts up to 2 years. I have Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra on my wheels and it works great - makes cleaning my wheels so simple, just soap and water versus using any wheel cleaner.
Old 08-05-2023, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jmhumr
I used to be a Zaino guy too. The proliferation of ceramic products has kinda made them obsolete, at least in terms of daily driver detailing.

During the COVID shutdown, I put a lot of time into researching and trying the modern detailing products. The biggest takeaway was that the best bang for your buck (and time) in terms of paint shine and protection is either Turtle Wax Seal n Shine or Griots All-in One Ceramic. They’ll last at least a season (more if garaged) and take less than 20 mins to apply. Also way more foolproof to apply than the pro grade longer endurance ceramics.

The foam cannon is definitely absolutely not necessary but I have one and it brings the biggest smile to my face lol. Plus it genuinely does help IMO.
attofarad (08-09-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 05:04 PM
Advanced

The 2013 and 2022 both got the Zaino treatment today! The 2013 still has a great shine and has only had Zaino since new!

Last edited by Rolaur; 08-05-2023 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 05:04 PM
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour is very popular as a ceramic coating for wheels. Lasts up to 2 years. I have Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra on my wheels and it works great - makes cleaning my wheels so simple, just soap and water versus using any wheel cleaner.
Thanks, I’ll check that out! I’ve actually had good luck using only soap and water on the gray wheels, but would like to add some protection.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:04 AM
Suzuka Master

The 2013 and 2022 both got the Zaino treatment today! The 2013 still has a great shine and has only had Zaino since new!

Damn that must have been an incredible update going from the 2013 to the 2022 RDX!
Old 08-06-2023, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Actually still have the 2013 as it's the wife's ride. I went from a 2011 MDX to the 2022 RDX!
Old 08-06-2023, 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Actually still have the 2013 as it's the wife's ride. I went from a 2011 MDX to the 2022 RDX!
Oof an even bigger upgrade lmao. That 2nd gen MDX was a DINOSAUR both technologically and size. Love the color on your RDX btw! Did you go with black or orchid interior?
Old 08-07-2023, 05:41 AM
Advanced

Black interior. I feel it's easier to keep clean.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:20 PM
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts
Just had the first polish and wax. I was a Meguiars carnuba wax guy for decades and with the new car decided to switch to Griot's and start using power tools to aid with the process. Love my new G8 and G9 RO polishers...so much faster than the old hand method
First time I really got close up to the paint all over the car. Impressed with paint quality and body panels overall...very happy that July 2023 was apparently a good build month
No need for any paint correction, so I just used Griot's perfecting cream and then the 3 in 1 ceramic wax...so much easier to apply than the carnuba wax....and if it lasts at least as long I will never go back!

Old 08-17-2023, 08:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJ4RDX
Just had the first polish and wax. I was a Meguiars carnuba wax guy for decades and with the new car decided to switch to Griot's and start using power tools to aid with the process. Love my new G8 and G9 RO polishers...so much faster than the old hand method
First time I really got close up to the paint all over the car. Impressed with paint quality and body panels overall...very happy that July 2023 was apparently a good build month
No need for any paint correction, so I just used Griot's perfecting cream and then the 3 in 1 ceramic wax...so much easier to apply than the carnuba wax....and if it lasts at least as long I will never go back!

Looks great. I gave up on the carnauba waxes years ago. The new wave of spray on ceramic and changed to the nano-graphite sealers at a very affordable price, goes on without any effort or residue, and last for months. Once a year deep detain with an orbital polisher, orange pad and some good polish to remove any imperfects/swirls from normal wear and tear is my go too. Add some Rainx on the windows, trim protector and it will look new for years to come - regardless. of the outside elements.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Collinite 476 or Car Guys liquid wax works best for me