Panoramic Sunroof Popping

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 01:28 PM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Panoramic Sunroof Popping

My pano roof makes a loud popping noise when closed and turning into a parking lot, etc that has a significant change in elevation. I'm assuming it has something to do with the body flexing. Curious to see if anyone has experienced the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
PTHolmie (07-11-2021)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
yes, most cars that have a structurally stiff body will flex at the sunroof. as that's the weak point....as it's a hole in the structure...stuffed with glass.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:52 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
yes, most cars that have a structurally stiff body will flex at the sunroof. as that's the weak point....as it's a hole in the structure...stuffed with glass.
Figured as much. Mine hadn't done it for 6,000 miles and then suddenly started doing it every time I got in the car and pulled out of a parking lot. Comes with the territory, I guess.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
interesting story; my 2006 TL with a sunroof actually dented at the sunroof from flexing in an accident.

I hit a curb and went through insurance, when I got the car back, I noticed dents on three corners of the sunroof...At first, I thought it was the body shop's lift that damaged the top of my car...but the more I thought about it and the angle of the crash, the more the stiff body and the gaping hole theory made more sense. because it is a hole in the body, and the way/angle of my crash, it only dented three corners and not the 4th corner of the sunroof.

if it was the body shop lift, you would have a more uniform dent....not just three corners. which made sense, as the dents coincide with the angle I hit the curb

Last edited by justnspace; 09-02-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:39 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by v95t5r
My pano roof makes a loud popping noise when closed and turning into a parking lot, etc that has a significant change in elevation. I'm assuming it has something to do with the body flexing. Curious to see if anyone has experienced the same thing.
Mine does it too. Not all the time or even enough to duplicate for the techs to hear it. It usually happens when I go up or down a driveway entrance at an angle so it acts as if it is twisting the body. RR tracks or speed bumps will cause it too.

Brought it to the attention of the dealer at my first service and the tech there just put a LOT of silicone paste around the sunroof.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Mine also does this when turning out of a driveway with a curb, it's annonying but sounds like others hear it too.
RENARELLO (11-19-2020)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
I also hear it from time to time when backing down my driveway with a curb and I thought it was my crossbar making the popping sound but I guess it was the sunroof.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does the same thing, I thought it was just mine. Has anyone taken it to the dealership and gotten it fixed yet?? Or is there even a fix???
PTHolmie (07-11-2021)
Old 09-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine does this as well exactly as OP described (during body flex). I'll ask my local dealer about it when I get the chance.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does this as well. My previous vehicle also had a panoramic sunroof and did this as well. I think it's common to vehicles with the pano sunroofs.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine just started doing it on bumps or when I turn and the car is at an angles. Seems like flexing but not sure if normal. Dont like the sound.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:07 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
I wish this was an option instead of standard equipment. They always make goddamn noise. I've been to the dealer twice due to a noise complaint coming from the rear cargo area ... it's been blamed on the rear sunroof needing adjustment. It's good for a few days and then comes back. I hate the damn thing.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:40 AM
Intermediate

Sounds like Acura has an issue with the popping noise. Iv'e been going at it with the dealership for over a year, and now have American Honda Corporate involved. Not sure how much that will help. Sounds like we all have the same issue. Popping when going up or down an incline (driveway), and turning while left rear wheel comes off an edge or lip (pop).
Of course the dealership says they can't replicate it, but for me it happens every day. I think they know its an issue and really do not want to deal with it. Its very frustrating and annoying.

I read this on another thread.
The solution for the flex-popping sound is the moon roof assembly replacement

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post16525847

Ali

2019 RDX tech and advanced- 10,000 miles
Old 02-19-2020, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Is this the popping sound everyone is experiencing. Sorry for the shaky video, had my son do it. I can't believe the dealership can't replicate it.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0039.mov (1.09 MB, 782 views)
IMG_0054.mov (747.0 KB, 374 views)
IMG_0077.mov (4.10 MB, 405 views)
Old 02-19-2020, 09:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,442 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by altayar
Is this the popping sound everyone is experiencing. Sorry for the shaky video, had my son do it. I can't believe the dealership can't replicate it.
Oh I bet you they know about this problem, but they don’t know how to fix it so they claim they can’t reproduce it.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but it looks like my 2020 A-Spec is having the same issue on bumps and when going up steep driveways at an angle. This is my first car with a pano roof and this is a new noise for me. Has anyone been able to get their dealer to fix this issue?
Old 11-18-2020, 10:47 AM
7th Gear

Reviving this thread. I have complained about this at least 5-6 times over the past year. On my last visit, the dealer actually replicated the popping noise and replaced a faulty sunroof clip and moulding. Part number on receipt is 74307-TJB-A01.

Popping noise has reduced about 80%. I have only heard it once in the past 3 weeks while before I would hear it 2-3 times a day. Hope this helps others.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Had mine in today for the popping noise. A new sunroof frame is on order.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by v95t5r
Reviving this thread. I have complained about this at least 5-6 times over the past year. On my last visit, the dealer actually replicated the popping noise and replaced a faulty sunroof clip and moulding. Part number on receipt is 74307-TJB-A01.

Popping noise has reduced about 80%. I have only heard it once in the past 3 weeks while before I would hear it 2-3 times a day. Hope this helps others.
is that the only part they replaced? Can I get a pic of the work order?

Last edited by Dereileak; 12-02-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Got into a battle with my local dealer about this noise, same popping and same way to demonstrate. Service manager took it for a test drive and was able to replicate it once. Seems to happen more when the vehicle is cold, they are doing the TSB for the rattling sunroof which may not be the cause but it involves getting a whole new frame installed. Will report back once I have the vehicle back.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:11 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I was having the same issue. They replaced the panoramic roof frame and now the problem is gone.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 RDX Sunroof Popping/Flexing

Wondering if we should get the dealer's recommended fix for panoramic roof popping/flexing issue. Car only has 3,000 miles. Pops occasionally with slight elevation shift such as driveway or dip in road. Maybe car/pano window frame will adjust and problem will go away? I'm afraid seals will never be the same and new problem such as leaking or rattle will occur after repair. Think we should wait on official recall? Is this a band-aid fix or the real-deal? Anyone have the framing replaced yet? Dealer said it could take up to 2 weeks.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:32 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by GCE228
Wondering if we should get the dealer's recommended fix for panoramic roof popping/flexing issue. Car only has 3,000 miles. Pops occasionally with slight elevation shift such as driveway or dip in road. Maybe car/pano window frame will adjust and problem will go away? I'm afraid seals will never be the same and new problem such as leaking or rattle will occur after repair. Think we should wait on official recall? Is this a band-aid fix or the real-deal? Anyone have the framing replaced yet? Dealer said it could take up to 2 weeks.
Two weeks to do the work or get the parts?
Old 03-17-2021, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Folks, for almost 2 years iv'e had that pop noise in the sunroof everyday. I've about given up. Even went through TX lemon law (that didn't help). Took the car in for regular maintenance, a rattle in the dash, and I said I still get the pop upper left hand side of the sunroof, even played my video of it. BTW: They have a whole new service team (John Eagle Acura), Houston.

All I know is that they tightened 8 screws and put lube in it, but I think they did something else.because, it's been a weak and haven't heard the noise since. There is a TSB: #B21-003 for the sunroof. Not sure if its the same issue, however if you read it there is a part that says:"There is not enough clearance between the rear panoramic glass roof mechanism arm and the plastic curve on slider.:

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Increase the clearance between the curve on slider and the mechanism arm by bending the arm. If this does not fix the issue, replace the panoramic glass roof frame. (I think this is what was popping when the car flexes going pop and down driveways.
Ive asked my service adviser to tell me exactly what they did so I can relay it on this message board.

Its funny, since it has happened everyday for 2 years, I still cringe when I go down any driveway with a lip. Keeping fingers crossed.

Ali
JB in AZ (03-17-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 05:30 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Time for me to complain to my dealer of the popping sound again. Dealer couldn’t replicate. I get a pop sound going over bumps, backing out of my driveway or pulling in. The driveway is at an incline.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:43 AM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
Time for me to complain to my dealer of the popping sound again. Dealer couldn’t replicate. I get a pop sound going over bumps, backing out of my driveway or pulling in. The driveway is at an incline.
Sorry to hear that you're having these issues. Mine is a early build 2019 Aspec and have never in 2 1/2 years ever had any rattles or popping of the Pano roof. How does one reconcile that with ones that are having these issues? I would be pissed for sure. I wish you good luck on getting the dealer to fix the issue once and for all.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:13 PM

It's pretty disheartening that this is happening even in '21 MYs.

Get the same thing doing over uneven pavement, rough patches and inclines.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jesser916
I was having the same issue. They replaced the panoramic roof frame and now the problem is gone.
I just got my roof rails replaced, but I opened it for the first time during this nice weather and realized the windscreen that pops up is gone. Did your new roof rails retain the windscreen? Or did my dealer just either forgot to put it back on or just got lazy and didnt put it back. Perhaps it was the issue and they just took it off completely?
Old 03-29-2021, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Finally scheduled a trip to the dealer to look into the popping sound. I'm a bit worried they'll say they can't re-produce.

Any tried and true tips/methods/instructions you have all given the Dealer Tech to reproduce? I'm thinking going over a relatively large speed bump at an angle, or a large driveway at an angle... but if the Dealer doesn't have either... Wanted to take it in before weather got warmer (since it seems to be more prevalent when the weather is colder...)

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2021, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by xandr115
Finally scheduled a trip to the dealer to look into the popping sound. I'm a bit worried they'll say they can't re-produce.

Any tried and true tips/methods/instructions you have all given the Dealer Tech to reproduce? I'm thinking going over a relatively large speed bump at an angle, or a large driveway at an angle... but if the Dealer doesn't have either... Wanted to take it in before weather got warmer (since it seems to be more prevalent when the weather is colder...)

Thanks in advance!
I plan on capturing and show my dealer. Have my camera record on while I back out of my driveway which is at an incline. Turn off radio, heater or any source that make sound. Car must be cold and sat overnight for a while. Sometimes if I go slow enough when pull into the driveway I can replicate the noise. A few months ago I told my dealer the popping sound while the car was in to replace both front control arms. Dealer said they can’t replicate. That was the end of it.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by AZ4035
I just got my roof rails replaced, but I opened it for the first time during this nice weather and realized the windscreen that pops up is gone. Did your new roof rails retain the windscreen? Or did my dealer just either forgot to put it back on or just got lazy and didnt put it back. Perhaps it was the issue and they just took it off completely?
The windscreen is a major rattle point for the panoramic sunroof. It won't stop the popping when going into an incline and the body flexes, but it will stop the rattles coming from broken pavement (ie: potholes/fixed potholes [ie: basically every road in NYC]). They likely removed the windscreen as it's very likely that it's become common knowledge in Acura's service departments that this is one of the major causes of rattles from the area.

Just all the more reason I hope to never have to own a vehicle with a panoramic sunroof ever again.
Leaf 68 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by leomio85
Just all the more reason I hope to never have to own a vehicle with a panoramic sunroof ever again.
I've owned many vehicles with pano roofs, this is the first that has provided me with this fun popping sound (or any issues to be honest). I had it to the dealer for the "A" service, and had them address a few warranty issues while it was there. The pop sound was one of these. I forget what they did, but it has now become more frequent.
sonyfever (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 06:34 PM
Advanced

The windscreen is a major rattle point for the panoramic sunroof. It won't stop the popping when going into an incline and the body flexes, but it will stop the rattles coming from broken pavement (ie: potholes/fixed potholes [ie: basically every road in NYC]). They likely removed the windscreen as it's very likely that it's become common knowledge in Acura's service departments that this is one of the major causes of rattles from the area.

The TSB they have out for the sunroof rail replacement finishes the install with "reassemble windscreen" and reverse installation procedure. I'll send an email over and verify with them.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I've owned many vehicles with pano roofs, this is the first that has provided me with this fun popping sound (or any issues to be honest). I had it to the dealer for the "A" service, and had them address a few warranty issues while it was there. The pop sound was one of these. I forget what they did, but it has now become more frequent.

I'm sorry to laugh at your expense. To be fair, it probably doesn't have anything to do with what the service department did. As the vehicle ages and tolerances become wider, I think the noise becomes louder and more apparent.

I checked mine out today and the six bolts holding the moveable portion to the brackets are all tight. As it warms up here in NY, I may try to tinker with it some before bringing it in. I know somebody mentioned they had their rails replaced and their interior got messed up from them removing all the panels (dealer did the right thing and replaced them). But, it's things like that that make me apprehensive of bringing it to the dealer, even if the service is free. And, honestly, it's probably more a temporary fix until it just starts happening again. I fixed most of the rattles on my own without messing anything up ... hopefully I can keep the streak going. *fingers crossed*
Old 03-30-2021, 06:39 PM

The TSB they have out for the sunroof rail replacement finishes the install with "reassemble windscreen" and reverse installation procedure. I'll send an email over and verify with them.
Oh, I'm not saying that it's an official fix thru Acura, but the dealer(s) may have found that a major source of noise complaints has been from the windscreen. Or, maybe it was just an absent-minded tech who simply forgot to put it back on. Either way, it's a primary source of rattles from the sunroof area (hence why I took mine off a long time ago). Creaks, clicks, ticks and pops are from the center support beam of the panoramic sunroof.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Oh, I'm not saying that it's an official fix thru Acura, but the dealer(s) may have found that a major source of noise complaints has been from the windscreen. Or, maybe it was just an absent-minded tech who simply forgot to put it back on. Either way, it's a primary source of rattles from the sunroof area (hence why I took mine off a long time ago). Creaks, clicks, ticks and pops are from the center support beam of the panoramic sunroof.
Did you take it off yourself? Would it be possible to simply reattach the windscreen without having to drop the headliner again?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:42 PM
Drifting

I'm sorry to laugh at your expense. To be fair, it probably doesn't have anything to do with what the service department did. As the vehicle ages and tolerances become wider, I think the noise becomes louder and more apparent.

I checked mine out today and the six bolts holding the moveable portion to the brackets are all tight. As it warms up here in NY, I may try to tinker with it some before bringing it in. I know somebody mentioned they had their rails replaced and their interior got messed up from them removing all the panels (dealer did the right thing and replaced them). But, it's things like that that make me apprehensive of bringing it to the dealer, even if the service is free. And, honestly, it's probably more a temporary fix until it just starts happening again. I fixed most of the rattles on my own without messing anything up ... hopefully I can keep the streak going. *fingers crossed*
No worries at all, leomio85! Of course I know that vehicles tend to loosen up over time, so I really didn't associate the work that the dealer did with the popping becoming more frequent. In fact, it didn't start popping until sometime after the first year. Just a bit disappointed, as I have said in other threads. I'm not sure if the latest TSB was out when I brought mine in, but I don't think they did major surgery on my RDX.
leomio85 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:29 PM

Did you take it off yourself? Would it be possible to simply reattach the windscreen without having to drop the headliner again?
Yes, I took it off myself. It's very easy to install and remove. It doesn't require any tools or anything to be removed and takes less than 5mins. They should honestly be able to do it while you wait.
AZ4035 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

I've recorded the audio this morning and will do it again tomorrow. For those that did get it serviced (frame replacement), curious if you know how the Dealers were able to replicate the sound (since it seems to be more easily replicated early in the morning)? Did they need the vehicle overnight?
Old 04-02-2021, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Folks, for almost 2 years iv'e had that pop noise in the sunroof everyday. I've about given up. Even went through TX lemon law (that didn't help). Took the car in for regular maintenance, a rattle in the dash, and I said I still get the pop upper left hand side of the sunroof, even played my video of it. BTW: They have a whole new service team (John Eagle Acura), Houston.

All I know is that they tightened 8 screws and put lube in it, but I think they did something else.because, it's been a weak and haven't heard the noise since. There is a TSB: #B21-003 for the sunroof. Not sure if its the same issue, however if you read it there is a part that says:"There is not enough clearance between the rear panoramic glass roof mechanism arm and the plastic curve on slider.:

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Increase the clearance between the curve on slider and the mechanism arm by bending the arm. If this does not fix the issue, replace the panoramic glass roof frame. (I think this is what was popping when the car flexes going pop and down driveways.
Ive asked my service adviser to tell me exactly what they did so I can relay it on this message board.

Its funny, since it has happened everyday for 2 years, I still cringe when I go down any driveway with a lip. Keeping fingers crossed.

Ali
Service rep confirming that TSB for the 2019 (mines is 2021) model year is that popping sound. I recorded it for him to hear/see and fortunately they were able to reproduce. They’re doing part 1 which is adjusting the clearance to see if it fixes the problem... if not then I’ll be back for the full frame replacement. 🤞

Quick Reply: Panoramic Sunroof Popping