new tires? which are best for quietness and comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
I now have 35k on my ASPEC OEM tires. Plenty of life left. I dont have any issues with them, will be buying the same tires again. Do not experiment with different tires unless you hate OEM.
Agree. Have 22k miles on the GoodYears Eagle RS A and still have 8/9th of tread depth. They are pretty good tires, never got stuck in the deep snow in the Midwest either (a lot of that can be attributed to the SHawd system). They may be a little heavier than some of the newer performance all season tires, but never got one flat yet.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
I now have 35k on my ASPEC OEM tires. Plenty of life left. I dont have any issues with them, will be buying the same tires again. Do not experiment with different tires unless you hate OEM.
Curious, why stick with a tire that's over 20 years old in technology when for the same price (or less) you can get something that significantly outperforms it in every aspect? Its performance is so middling today that a touring all-season outperforms it in every category.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=HPAS

In its class its ratings are pretty poor and this class of tires has hardly any competition in it - all the major tire makers have moved into a different class.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by supafamous
Curious, why stick with a tire that's over 20 years old in technology when for the same price (or less) you can get something that significantly outperforms it in every aspect? Its performance is so middling today that a touring all-season outperforms it in every category.

In its class its ratings are pretty poor and this class of tires has hardly any competition in it - all the major tire makers have moved into a different class.
I agree on when it comes time to replace them (if I still own the RDX) - will look for a new tech, better preforming tire. Like most, will get the life out of the tires that come on the vehicle before replacement. Hoping Acura upgrades the tires and brakes in the next RDX too.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts

As discussed earlier in the thread (and corroborated by my experience), ratings don't mean anything unless they are rated on the same car. I bought tires that had a higher rating in every category compared to the OEM ones I was replacing and I ended up returning them and going with the OEM ones.

Last edited by anoop; 01-10-2024 at 12:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
As discussed earlier in the thread (and corroborated by my experience), ratings don't mean anything unless they are rated on the same car. I bought tires that had a higher rating in every category compared to the OEM ones I was replacing and I ended up returning them and going with the OEM ones.
It can be true a highly rated tire is a poor match for a specific car - for example, I don't like the ExtremeContactDWS06+ that I run on my RDX (though others do) as I think its additional performance makes the car's firm ride too firm. It can also be true though that an OEM tire is not a good tire - the Eagle RS-A is ancient technology and Acura should be embarrassed to be putting it on a modern car and nearly any general purpose all season tire outperforms it (like the Turanza that comes on the MDX). While I don't love the fit of the DWS06+ on my RDX it's worlds better than the Eagle RS-A.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
BTW, Tire Rack ratings seems to say Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 which has a noise rating of 9.2/10. Anyone vouch for these?

There also seems to be a newer tire -- Pirelli Scorpion WeatherActive. Doesn't have ratings, but the few reviews indicate it is very quiet and comfortable.
I had the Scorpions on my old Mazda crossover and didn’t think they lived up to the high ratings. They were just “fine.”
Old 01-14-2024, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts

I take more simple approach: "Do not try to fix something that is not broken" I am satisfied with current tires. Can there be better tires? Possibly, but thats an expensive experiment. I dont do it always, on my 1st gen RDX OEM tires were awful and were worn out at 30k miles and needed replacement, thats why I got something else.
Texasrdx21 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 11:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks everyone for your input.
I ended up ordering the Scorpion AS 3 Plus - everything else of interest for me (Mich CC2, Conti LX25) was out past 2 weeks for delivery in my area. Sam's had a great sale on these with extra discounts for Plus members as has been mentioned elsewhere on this site.

mlloyd1
Old 01-15-2024, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

I take more simple approach: "Do not try to fix something that is not broken" I am satisfied with current tires. Can there be better tires? Possibly, but thats an expensive experiment. I dont do it always, on my 1st gen RDX OEM tires were awful and were worn out at 30k miles and needed replacement, thats why I got something else.
Agree. Tires are "specific to vehicles", as I had the CC2's on a Hybrid - great traction in the snow and wet, a little noisy and a hit in MPG by 2+ mpg. Was not a big fan of the tread pattern - but that me.

Seems everyone has a "opinion on the best tires", but I find only a few have switched them to there RDX. Goodyear Eagle RS-A's may be old tech, but they are durable (not one flat yet), quiet, sturdy and never got me stuck once in deep snow or sketchy road conditions. Mine have 22K on them, 8/9th's tread depth and really no complaints.
anoop (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 10:19 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so true about opinions. i ran Goodyear Eagles for many years (very happily I might add) on my Prelude & Legend when i had those vehicles. the all-weather handling, noise levels and wear were great ...
Old 01-15-2024, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
The car manufacturer likely uses the tire based heavily on a costing decision. Not necessarily the best for the vehicle. I’m not sure I’ve ever had a good set of OEM tires on any car. I’ve had those Goodyear RSAs on two different vehicles now. Junk in rain and downright dangerous in snow. And also quit loud after about 15k miles.

I’ve been very happy with the CC2s.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ross7777
The car manufacturer likely uses the tire based heavily on a costing decision. Not necessarily the best for the vehicle. I’m not sure I’ve ever had a good set of OEM tires on any car. I’ve had those Goodyear RSAs on two different vehicles now. Junk in rain and downright dangerous in snow. And also quit loud after about 15k miles.

I’ve been very happy with the CC2s.
This may have been true in the past. because a lot of cars are now leased it is in the manufacturers best interest to put the tires that provide the best experience to the owner, if they are hoping for the owner to come back to them when the lease is done.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:13 AM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
This may have been true in the past but because a lot of cars are now leased it is in the manufacturers best interest to put the tires that provide the best experience to the owner if they are hoping for the owner to come back to them when the lease is done.
Maybe but my leased 2019 NX300 had trash tires on it. Some of the worst for noise and snow. Made no sense why they would put them on a semi-luxury vehicle. Yokohama Geolander G91. Couldn’t wait to be rid of it.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:48 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Put CC2's on about a month ago. I could tell they were quieter than the factory Continentals right out of the lot. Had the first long drive where I could really compare them to a previous drive on Tuesday. They're definitely quieter. A 2dB reduction on the same section of turnpike where I'd done a previous measurement (69dB vs 71dB at 80 mph). Hard to gauge the mileage due to all the variations in wind we have around here, but I've got the feeling I took up to a 2 mpg hit on that - 22mpg vs 24mpg on the old ones on a 450 mile drive.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jcross1231
A 2dB reduction on the same section of turnpike where I'd done a previous measurement (69dB vs 71dB at 80 mph).
What did you use to measure this?
Old 02-22-2024, 05:30 PM
Touring

What did you use to measure this?
A Triplett 3550 placed at about neck height between the two front seats.
anoop (02-22-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Put CC2's on about a month ago. I could tell they were quieter than the factory Continentals right out of the lot. Had the first long drive where I could really compare them to a previous drive on Tuesday. They're definitely quieter. A 2dB reduction on the same section of turnpike where I'd done a previous measurement (69dB vs 71dB at 80 mph). Hard to gauge the mileage due to all the variations in wind we have around here, but I've got the feeling I took up to a 2 mpg hit on that - 22mpg vs 24mpg on the old ones on a 450 mile drive.
I had a similar experience putting those on a Hybrid, a bit quieter when new - but took a hit in mpg. The Goodyears Eagle RS-A on my Aspec may not be current tech, but they last long, pretty quiet, never a flat, good in the snow + rain and I get 27ish on the hwy (which is great IMO for a 2 ton SUV with SHawd).

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 02-23-2024 at 08:09 AM.
jcross1231 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Anyone getting their tires at Costco? I put new tires for my wife car at Costco, great
deal. The CC2 had rebate and also installation and balancing is free.

Last edited by russianDude; 02-23-2024 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Tire Rack has a much wider selection than Costco, at least my Costco. That may be because my Costco, located in Pennsylvania, is just a few miles from Delaware where there is no sales tax which offers an upfront savings of 6%. I will say that long ago I got in the habit of checking the Tire Rack prices, printing out the page, and then going to a local independent tire dealer. Almost always they will match the Costco offering. I have a times even received a lower price than Costcco or Tire Rack because I'm eligible for a Veteran's discount.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:03 PM
Touring

Anyone getting their tires at Costco? I put new tires for my wife car at Costco, great
deal. The CC2 had rebate and also installation and balancing is free.
That's where I got mine. Good service. They also have free nitrogen fill, although I'm not real sold on that being a benefit.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

That's where I got mine. Good service. They also have free nitrogen fill, although I'm not real sold on that being a benefit.
yeah, mine was good also, they even recommended I do alignment. So when I took it to my mechanic,
they were right because alignment was off.

I also heard it depends on particular tire center — some are better/worse than others.

I like that besides free rotations you can also request them to rebalance your tires for free, which is a goood
idea to do when tires get worn half way to avoid any vibrations.

will definitely consider costco when its time to do tires
on my RDX
Old 02-23-2024, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Just to be specific for my case.
Tirerack price was $800 plus tax with free shipping ($850)

costco price was $815 including tax and installation on same exact CC2 tire.

I figure it would take me at least another $100 to install tirerack tires, so total saving is at least $135
Old 02-24-2024, 01:26 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
How many miles were on your factory tires? Many tires get significantly louder over their lifetime.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:29 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
That's a pretty big hit in mileage -- it could amount to $700+ over the life of the tire set in increased fuel cost.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by attofarad
That's a pretty big hit in mileage -- it could amount to $700+ over the life of the tire set in increased fuel cost.

I find it hard to believe that different kind of tire will have 2 MPG impact
Old 02-24-2024, 10:32 AM
Touring

Originally Posted by attofarad
How many miles were on your factory tires? Many tires get significantly louder over their lifetime.
Had around 23,000 miles on the original tires. They probably had 2/3 of the life left.
Leaf 68 (03-03-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 10:34 AM
Touring

I find it hard to believe that different kind of tire will have 2 MPG impact
That's what I thought, too. Burning up that amount of fuel in friction would generate a lot of heat. Need to do more long distance driving to get a better handle on it, but there's definitely been some amount of loss.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
If you have any winter weather I highly recommend Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires. Great all season if you’re not going to run separate snow tires. They are quiet as well.
I second this, just got these, they have amazing grip, great comfort, quiet, snow grip has been great. Honestly the best tire I have ever had
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scorpion Verde A/S vs Scorpion AS 3 Plus

Originally Posted by mlloyd1
Thanks everyone for your input.
I ended up ordering the Scorpion AS 3 Plus - everything else of interest for me (Mich CC2, Conti LX25) was out past 2 weeks for delivery in my area. Sam's had a great sale on these with extra discounts for Plus members as has been mentioned elsewhere on this site.

mlloyd1
How did these work out? I'm going on my third set of tires for my 2016 RDX. the last two were Scorpion Verde A/S. I was going to stick with them, although they get noisy after some wear, but the AS 3 plus are a good amount cheaper.