New Android Auto Split Screen Support!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:49 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
New Android Auto Split Screen Support!

Finally - we can have a music app playing on the small screen while also having Waze or Google Maps open on the big screen or vice versa.

Look: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto...een_headunits/

New layout should be available today or very very soon.

Edit: I don't seem to have this feature yet. I believe it's a server side thing for AA and Google. It should update soon.

Last edited by SpaceBot; 03-04-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
I hope it will be as simple as a phone-side setting, but I think Acura hard-coded the screen dimension in the infotainment unit to disable widescreen support. I can see with widescreen layout, reaching the side screen can take a lot of scrolling if the side scrolling area on the touchpad cannot be directly map to the side screen, but still I prefer having all-AA or nothing rather than the current implementation.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't yet have it, and not sure how it would be rolling out. But this would be a welcome upgrade.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jc411
I don't yet have it, and not sure how it would be rolling out. But this would be a welcome upgrade.
Same. I don't have it yet either. Seems like some other countries are getting it first. I know our infotainment system had an AA widescreen support update in the most recent firmware update. Seems like everything is there to make it happen.....but doesn't seem to be active for us yet. It's a server side thing that Google has to activate.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Dreams can come true!
Old 03-10-2021, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by ncsustash
Dreams can come true!
Huh?
Did it? Or you are saying it may come true.
Do tell!
Old 03-11-2021, 04:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe I looked in the wrong direction, but as far as I know, the secondary screen (cards) is driven by its own rendering thread. This seems to be fixed, so I feel some lower-level changes are needed before widescreen can work.

I didn't see obvious switch in the AA apk that enables widescreen support. I still think widescreen or not is all done through screen dimension - head unit tells phone the dimension, and the phone app decides if widescreen is feasible or not. Of course I will be glad to be proven wrong.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
Maybe I looked in the wrong direction, but as far as I know, the secondary screen (cards) is driven by its own rendering thread. This seems to be fixed, so I feel some lower-level changes are needed before widescreen can work.

I didn't see obvious switch in the AA apk that enables widescreen support. I still think widescreen or not is all done through screen dimension - head unit tells phone the dimension, and the phone app decides if widescreen is feasible or not. Of course I will be glad to be proven wrong.
I certainly couldn't prove you wrong, you seem to know more about it than I do.

Considering how long it took Acura (purportedly to be Google, however) to get us AA to begin with, I would not hold my breath for this split screen capability.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Huh?
Did it? Or you are saying it may come true.
Do tell!
Just hoping. Based on how long it took to get AA the first time, I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by ncsustash; 03-12-2021 at 05:33 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-12-2021, 06:56 AM
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 95 Posts

I’m skeptical as well. I doubt the system is setup to let AA or ACP overcome the card screen. The screen dimension those software see most likely excludes that area, like you suggested.

Will be hilarious if the AA update results in 3 screens: AA split screens plus the card screen.
The following users liked this post:
SpaceBot (03-12-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 01:09 AM
Burning Brakes

I realized that the CarPlay implementation in the head unit has codes to handle data on the secondary screen, or b-zone. AA currently does not have such arrangement. Does it mean Acura do not bother because they know widescreen support is the way to go? Or they are working in the b-zone support internally? Time will tell.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:15 AM
Racer

Android Auto version 6.2 is out now....but still our RDX does not use this new widescreen feature.

I don't get it.... AA has the support, the latest infotainment update had AA widescreen support....but we still have nothing.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpaceBot
Android Auto version 6.2 is out now....but still our RDX does not use this new widescreen feature.

I don't get it.... AA has the support, the latest infotainment update had AA widescreen support....but we still have nothing.
I would love to know how you figure out the AA in the head unit has widescreen support! I peeked here and there under the hood but found nothing.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:19 PM
Racer

I would love to know how you figure out the AA in the head unit has widescreen support! I peeked here and there under the hood but found nothing.
It is a server side thing that Google has to enable. Our Infotainment system has the support ready to go...latest AA versions have the functionality....now I guess we just await Google to roll out the widescreen support for RDX. Only they can do it.