New Acura deliveries slow to a crawl

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
New Acura deliveries slow to a crawl

Went by my local dealer today to see when my 2022 RDX that’s in transit and sitting in a SC auto transport lot. The real eye opener was they only had one new car on the lot, a 2022 ILX and zero used Acuras as well. Sales manager said that they are selling mostly everything before they arrive. It looked like a ghost town. Anyone else observing this trend?
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (02-04-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 06:34 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
Went by my local dealer today to see when my 2022 RDX that’s in transit and sitting in a SC auto transport lot. The real eye opener was they only had one new car on the lot, a 2022 ILX and zero used Acuras as well. Sales manager said that they are selling mostly everything before they arrive. It looked like a ghost town. Anyone else observing this trend?
there are tons here at multiple acura dealerships both in stock and inbound
Old 01-22-2022, 08:26 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
Acura just told the dealers they are 2 mos. behind their factory schedule for building. My dealer...a big leader in it's district....has not been allowed to
order ANY Acura model in Dec. and Jan. The lot is empty. Acura said they WILL build all the pre sold ordered models....they will just be LATE. This is
not exclusive to Acura. Many manufacturers are having similar issues. LOTS of reasons. Most of us know what they are.
pilozm (02-04-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 08:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Welcome to the entire auto industry one year ago (and continuing today).

Toyota survived for a while because they had chip backups but now they're short as well.

One auto research group predicts normalization around 2025 or so
Old 01-22-2022, 08:38 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Acura just told the dealers they are 2 mos. behind their factory schedule for building. My dealer...a big leader in it's district....has not been allowed to
order ANY Acura model in Dec. and Jan. The lot is empty. Acura said they WILL build all the pre sold ordered models....they will just be LATE. This is
not exclusive to Acura. Many manufacturers are having similar issues. LOTS of reasons. Most of us know what they are.
Oh dear. That is not good news. I was told a couple of weeks ago that my build date is 2/5 to 2/9. Wonder when I will get it!
Old 01-22-2022, 09:00 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
Similar in Minneapolis area. I picked up my Aspec/Advance last weekend and all the new models they had were sold. They said the MDX has a 6 month wait right now.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered my RDX the beginning of January but haven't received any updates from the dealer. Looks like you are in Colorado as well, I wonder if we have the same dealer and that's why I haven't received any information. When I ordered it they thought the order would be placed with acura 1/14 but who knows at this point.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:27 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I called 3 Acura Dealers close to me here at California and they are adding markups $3500, $2500 and $1500.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts
Just crazy. I bought my 2021 in December of 2021, they had 20 RDX’s on the lot. Maybe all the chips are scattered over the train tracks in Los Angeles near the port they have been stealing out of cargo containers for weeks…Armageddon. News they don’t put on the MS. - until their Governor shows up.

There’s a bigger issue here with shortages we are experiencing in the USA.

https://www.kcra.com/article/newsom-...rime/38835606#

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 01-23-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Just crazy. I bought my 2021 in December of 2021, they had 20 RDX’s on the lot. Maybe all the chips are scattered over the train tracks in Los Angeles near the port they have been stealing out of cargo containers for weeks…Armageddon. News they don’t put on the MS. - until their Governor shows up.

Very sad state of affairs!
Old 01-23-2022, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts
yup, bought our '21 in Sept/Oct and we actually paid under msrp. There were quite a few sitting around Socal. We weren't in too much of a hurry but decided to get it early since it was a good deal and speculated delays would only get worse!
pilozm (02-04-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

**** correction - I bought mine in 12/2020 as a new 2021 model. So many in the parking lot at all the Texas dealers, they were offering big discounts off msrp. Never have a seen a manipulated supply issues.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
**** correction - I bought mine in 12/2020 as a new 2021 model. So many in the parking lot at all the Texas dealers, they were offering big discounts off msrp. Never have a seen a manipulated supply issues.
yeah, realizing how lucky I was to grab mines end of January 2021 for a relatively deep discount
Old 01-25-2022, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GaRaS
I called 3 Acura Dealers close to me here at California and they are adding markups $3500, $2500 and $1500.
I got the following email from the manager at my local dealership here in IL :

I just wanted you to be aware that Acura has just raised all new vehicle prices by $1000 in line with other manufacturers. I am not sure if you're still looking or have bought but if you are still looking we are suggesting to our clients they buy soon as possible. This is likely the first in a series of planned price increases - we are hearing it will be 7 - 11% in total in line with current inflation data. That means we will likely see 3 - 5 more of these increases this year.

I'm sure glad I already grabbed my 2022 Aspec/Advance before these prices increases.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tasso

I just wanted you to be aware that Acura has just raised all new vehicle prices by $1000 in line with other manufacturers. I am not sure if you're still looking or have bought but if you are still looking we are suggesting to our clients they buy soon as possible. This is likely the first in a series of planned price increases - we are hearing it will be 7 - 11% in total in line with current inflation data. That means we will likely see 3 - 5 more of these increases this year.

I'm sure glad I already grabbed my 2022 Aspec/Advance before these prices increases.
Not sure I buy into a dealer scaring a potential client about price increases? Maybe due to they are not selling any vehicles and trying another sales leverage pitch.
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
Ih8honda (01-28-2022), pilozm (02-04-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 11:55 AM
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure I buy into a dealer scaring a potential client about price increases? Maybe due to they are not selling any vehicles and trying another sales leverage pitch.
I agree, sounds like scare tactics into buying. But on the other hand, they really don't have to beg for sales right now.
I wonder what's happening with other brands. Only if they are doing the same will Acura follow suite. Otherwise they will be outpricing their own product.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Classic tactic to increase a sense of urgency and commitment.
leomio2.0 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cfdp
I agree, sounds like scare tactics into buying. But on the other hand, they really don't have to beg for sales right now.
I wonder what's happening with other brands. Only if they are doing the same will Acura follow suite. Otherwise they will be outpricing their own product.
Lots of other MFG's have cars on their lots and coming in. However, I have seen Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Ford and GM appear to get hit the hardest in the past few months. At this pace - dealership will need to super downsize, and just sell vehicles online to order.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts

Needless to say, my plans to buy a new car in about a year's time has been pushed back to 2-3yrs. Probably 2025. Fuck this market and fuck dealers gouging prices. I won't shed a tear if they switch to a "buy direct" model as an option and most dealers go out of business. I'd rather get a prostate exam than go to most dealers.
The following 4 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
EFR (01-25-2022), nist7 (01-26-2022), pilozm (02-04-2022), russianDude (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 05:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2KwLa3xUgI

Needless to say, my plans to buy a new car in about a year's time has been pushed back to 2-3yrs. Probably 2025. Fuck this market and fuck dealers gouging prices. I won't shed a tear if they switch to a "buy direct" model as an option and most dealers go out of business. I'd rather get a prostate exam than go to most dealers.
I also have the same thing to say to home contractors that want ridiculous amounts of money for crappy job they do. F… all!
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
leomio2.0 (01-25-2022), pilozm (02-04-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 06:15 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
Oh dear. That is not good news. I was told a couple of weeks ago that my build date is 2/5 to 2/9. Wonder when I will get it!
Check this out. I have a TLX Type S on order. First build date was first week of Feb. It has now changed 4 TIMES....and the latest news...middle of April...!!!!!

I told my Mgr. friend...IF they keep moving the bld date ahead that much and more...it will start getting closer to 2023 models...whenever that is. I'd have to drop out,
and MAYBE order a '23....but, as of now...I don't know what I'm doing. Don't have to do anything. My '21 Mustang GT, Perf. Pack. I with EVERY option avail sits in
my garage with 353 miles! I know....but, I like change and I don't drive much..obviously. Still tried to snag a C8 Vette, even the new Z06..which is AMAZING...but,
allocations are thin! My local Chevy dealer sells at MSRP...rare, but, they do. BUT....allocations are few. I could order a '23 my guy told me. Hmmmm?????

I asked my Acura Mgr. about the NSX. LOL...yeah right!! They had 2 allocations....the Owner of the dealership took the first one, and a local buyer of Acuras took
the other one, early on when they took "orders." MSRP. They don't do ADM's.

The ONLY vehicles the sales folks have to work with...are Used veh......and taking orders for new vehicles. But, can't tell customers WHEN they will be built or arrive.

There's no "games" being played...as some elude to. They just can't get parts, etc, etc. Believe me...Acura WANTS to build as many as possible...since the new RDX and
MDX are very popular. I have a '22 RDX A-Spec/Advance. They are nice!! Snagged it just before the ordering went to hell in Dec.
Showkey (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Check this out. I have a

There's no "games" being played...as some elude to. They just can't get parts, etc, etc. Believe me...Acura WANTS to build as many as possible...since the new RDX and
MDX are very popular. I have a '22 RDX A-Spec/Advance. They are nice!! Snagged it just before the ordering went to hell in Dec.

This is the correct answer……….^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everyone loves a great consistency or supply or price fixing story……………but……………it’s a made up story line.

ITS A HIGH DEMAND AND SHORT SUPPLY STORY.

Direct sale has its own issues……….like it or not dealer supply service and parts. Any manufacturer that want to sell direct would have to invest billions in service and apart facilities ………..larger manufacturers have 600-2000 dealers.

Last edited by Showkey; 01-25-2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Showkey

Everyone loves a great consistency or supply or price fixing story……………but……………it’s a made up story line.

Direct sale has its own issues……….like it or not dealer supply service and parts. Any manufacturer that want to sell direct would have to invest billions in service and apart facilities ………..larger manufacturers have 600-2000 dealers.
CTRs & TLX Type-S's were getting marked up even before the squeeze. Heck, almost every new performance car is guaranteed to be marked up. Even the damn Telluride was being marked up before the pandemic was even a thing. C8 Corvette ... an affordable supercar ... except dealers were charging 6-figures for even a base model. Perhaps I was a bit rash in my previous post, but if manufacturers opened up at least a "buy direct" option online, it would certainly quell a lot of this nonsense with greedy dealers gouging prices on brand new models. It would help sales as well, as I'm sure plenty of people are turned away when they go in expecting to pay $X based on MSRP and are met with a sticker price that's $5k, $10k, $20k, $50k, etc. over. I can guarantee dealers will still do it though even with this buying model ... as a buy to order would likely take a month or longer whereas the dealers would prey on the impatient who want it now.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
I dont see anything wrong with Tesla sales model. They should you a price online, if you like it, you buy it and you are in a queue. You do not need a middle man to buy a new car, it adds extra expense
pilozm (02-04-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 07:47 AM
Burning Brakes

CTRs & TLX Type-S's were getting marked up even before the squeeze. Heck, almost every new performance car is guaranteed to be marked up. Even the damn Telluride was being marked up before the pandemic was even a thing. C8 Corvette ... an affordable supercar ... except dealers were charging 6-figures for even a base model. Perhaps I was a bit rash in my previous post, but if manufacturers opened up at least a "buy direct" option online, it would certainly quell a lot of this nonsense with greedy dealers gouging prices on brand new models. It would help sales as well, as I'm sure plenty of people are turned away when they go in expecting to pay $X based on MSRP and are met with a sticker price that's $5k, $10k, $20k, $50k, etc. over. I can guarantee dealers will still do it though even with this buying model ... as a buy to order would likely take a month or longer whereas the dealers would prey on the impatient who want it now.
It's a catch 22 for the dealers. They need massive inventory to keep the place a float, are trying to make massive profit on the few vehicles they get in and hold on for more inventory to fill there lots soon. So they are on borrowed time - either treat your customer right, or the direct model (Tesla, Rivian and etc) will be the future avenue for most consumers. One thing is for sure - most customers hate dealerships buying pressure process - so burn enough of them - and you'll see the car industry go in a similar direct model to the computer industry - direct to consumer, and small service hubs. At this point only the strong will survive - kind of like the consolidation that happened in 2008/2009.

I've done so many deals at dealerships and just hate the process/game. Complete waste of time, but thats the game the dealerships play - as it intimates most consumers. Would rather pay a fair set price and avoid them all together. Plus, customer service and knowledge has gone to the gutter in since Cv19 - so what are you really getting besides a test drive?

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 01-26-2022 at 07:53 AM.
pilozm (02-04-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 09:15 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
I also have the same thing to say to home contractors that want ridiculous amounts of money for crappy job they do. F… all!
You are apparently lucky enough to get a contractor to even show up, unlike us.
As for car inventory, I can say that here in Vegas/Henderson, of the 6 car models we have on our list for a Honda replacement, inventory of those cars has all but disappeared. (Example GV70- about 15 at 2 dealers a couple months ago, now one, GLB- between 2 dealers there are now 0, and so on. Weird world.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
My son gave up looking for a new RDX and decided to go with a new Hybrid Honda CRV which is apparently more available and his existing vehicle is starting to falter so he can't wait much longer. He ordered it and it is being built a couple weeks after the order and he is to take delivery in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps living only a half hour away from the assembly plant helps a little. I will be curious to ride in it and compare its features and ride with my RDX. It is quite a bit less costly but I am overall satisfied with my fully paid 2019 RDX which hopefully will serve me well over the coming years..
pilozm (02-04-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I ordered an RDX Advance early/mid November. On 12/28 I was told the build date was 2/5-2/9. On 1/12 I was told the build date hadn’t changed. I just got an email today (1/28) from the dealership saying the build date is now 2/13-2/17. I was actually kind of surprised that it had only changed by about a week. Keeping my fingers crossed that the build date doesn’t change. But if it does, it won’t be the end of the world since there is nothing wrong with my current vehicle. But on a cold day like today when it’s only 6 degrees outside, it would be nice to have the remote start! Not having remote start was one of 3 reasons I decided to go back to an RDX. I previously had a 2013 and 2016 RDX but now have an Audi Q3 which I will be trading in.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by tasso

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Classic tactic to increase a sense of urgency and commitment.
Yes and odd move to send this to anyone who can wait this out considering many reports are showing things will be closer to normal in 2023. I do think the old days are long gone, though, and from here on out there will be much tighter inventory control which in turn will keep prices around MSRP with little wiggle room.

Originally Posted by cfdp
Other brands seem to have different contracts with companies because some appear to be chugging along a little better than most, Hyundai and VW come to mind. I would love to have visibility into the backend stuff like who has contracts with whom, what chips are being manufactured and then who they are allocated to, etc.

It's a catch 22 for the dealers. They need massive inventory to keep the place a float, are trying to make massive profit on the few vehicles they get in and hold on for more inventory to fill there lots soon. So they are on borrowed time - either treat your customer right, or the direct model (Tesla, Rivian and etc) will be the future avenue for most consumers. One thing is for sure - most customers hate dealerships buying pressure process - so burn enough of them - and you'll see the car industry go in a similar direct model to the computer industry - direct to consumer, and small service hubs. At this point only the strong will survive - kind of like the consolidation that happened in 2008/2009.

I've done so many deals at dealerships and just hate the process/game. Complete waste of time, but thats the game the dealerships play - as it intimates most consumers. Would rather pay a fair set price and avoid them all together. Plus, customer service and knowledge has gone to the gutter in since Cv19 - so what are you really getting besides a test drive?
I completely agree.
Texasrdx21 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Yes and odd move to send this to anyone who can wait this out considering many reports are showing things will be closer to normal in 2023. I do think the old days are long gone, though, and from here on out there will be much tighter inventory control which in turn will keep prices around MSRP with little wiggle room..
I've read that in numerous articles, and though I agree with the sentiment for at least a couple years after "normalcy" returns, humans are creatures of habits. Eventually, I can absolutely see things slowly returning to the way they were pre-pandemic. When someone is shopping around and Brand X has exactly what they have on their lot, and they go to Brand Y who says they need to order it and it will take 4-6wks for delivery, they'll turn around and tell them they're going with Brand X. Brand Y complains to the manufacturer that they lost "Z" amount of sales this month due to lack of on-lot inventory and suddenly, stored inventory slowly starts to creep back up.

Of course, I'm fucking nobody who doesn't know anything, so this is purely speculation.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:08 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Showkey

I think demand is high...BUT, it seems higher due to almost no inventory and or delays being able to even build cars. So, the "demand" could actually be "what normal used to be"
IF production was where it once was. IMHO.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:31 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

According to uncle gavin 280 people have been arrested. I wonder why, because $0 bail will only release them to steal more.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jfkmk:
Ken1997TL (01-28-2022), leomio2.0 (01-27-2022), Texasrdx21 (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Here is the sales data for the sale few years on the RDX and all vehicles in the USA. What it doesn't show is the vertical changes in a move away from making car to just SUV's in the USA and zippo information on why production has halted at most factories. What I see in my area now, lots of people posting new or newer SUV's and trucks for sale that get inferior gas mpg and trying to off load them before gas prices go higher. Similar to what happened in 2008-2010.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've read that in numerous articles, and though I agree with the sentiment for at least a couple years after "normalcy" returns, humans are creatures of habits. Eventually, I can absolutely see things slowly returning to the way they were pre-pandemic. When someone is shopping around and Brand X has exactly what they have on their lot, and they go to Brand Y who says they need to order it and it will take 4-6wks for delivery, they'll turn around and tell them they're going with Brand X. Brand Y complains to the manufacturer that they lost "Z" amount of sales this month due to lack of on-lot inventory and suddenly, stored inventory slowly starts to creep back up.

Of course, I'm fucking nobody who doesn't know anything, so this is purely speculation.
You may be right and who knows how this will play out. And I agree w/ the creatures of habit piece but what I think may happen here is the habit will shift to what we are seeing now. But yes that is a big variable and if a brand or two ups their inventory others may need to follow suit (but only if that brand(s) is really a threat, of course).

What sticks with me is that anymore car buying is the outlier and like nothing else and I just don't know if that will continue now that they all have had a taste of record profits; it would be simple for them to slip more into how everyone else does business and the price on the tag is it, take it or leave it.
leomio2.0 (01-27-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

I concur. Trying to limit inventory will not be good for any dealer. If they don't have the vehicle in stock, that is likely a lost sale. They have the space on the lot but when people what something in the US, they want it now.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:55 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Driving past the local Acura / Honda lots recently, they look full. Upon closer inspection, most of the automobiles are other brands.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince D
Driving past the local Acura / Honda lots recently, they look full. Upon closer inspection, most of the automobiles are other brands.
The Honda dealerships around here are still fairly well stocked (I see a lot of Civics, Accords, and CRVs) but Acura dealerships are a ghost town. At two different dealerships I drove by last week, I could count on one finger the number of new Acuras I saw. Can't help but to think that Honda has been prioritizing Honda production for whatever reason.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:36 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
It's crazy, I'm just glad I overpaid for my 2 RDX's a month ago. 3-4 months ago they told me to sit tight and they would have tons of them in January.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The Honda dealerships around here are still fairly well stocked (I see a lot of Civics, Accords, and CRVs) but Acura dealerships are a ghost town. At two different dealerships I drove by last week, I could count on one finger the number of new Acuras I saw. Can't help but to think that Honda has been prioritizing Honda production for whatever reason.
Same in my area as well and Honda actually has some decent deals right now, at least locally. On the flip side 0.0 TLXs, most other models "arriving soon"...
Old 01-28-2022, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was just informed my build date is 2/15-2/19. Ordered a red Aspec advanced in early December.

Quick Reply: New Acura deliveries slow to a crawl