New 2022 Acura RDX spy shots

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021 | 08:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Oh you mean the 2021 Q5? RDX 2021 is available now too...

Q5 was too small for my needs, but if it works for you, it seems like a nice car.
Small in what way? They appear to be pretty competitive.
Attached Thumbnails New 2022 Acura RDX spy shots-comparo.png  
Old 03-26-2021 | 09:01 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Mostly cargo space - I was coming from a CRV so going to the RDX I was already losing 5 cu, losing 10 cu wasn't feasible for my family trips. 30 has proved just sufficient for most purposes.

Second reason was rear seating. RDX felt roomier, especially with the flat floor in the back. Q5 rear hump definitely makes it more cramped for three passengers.

Third reason was just general width; Q5 feels tight by comparison. RDX is vast, especially in the front.
The following 4 users liked this post by Waetherman:
ELIN (03-26-2021), NBPDC505 (03-26-2021), RDXinNETX (03-27-2021), stl0090 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 06:59 AM
Instructor

I asked my dealer/friend release date for the 2022 and he said expect it July.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlopMeister:
RDXinNETX (03-27-2021), stl0090 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELIN
Small in what way? They appear to be pretty competitive.
These type of measurements turn out to be easy to manipulate - I don't know exactly how but it's a pretty consistent theme nowadays that the reality of these measurements for a lot of cars is quite different than the measurements themselves. I like how Autoblog has the luggage test now where they use real world suitcases to see how much cars actually hold. For example, the BMW 3 series is rated at 17 cubic feet which is 3-5 more than its competitors but it turns out it's a lie and it hold the same as its competitors. The Accord OTOH can basically hold what the CR-V can (https://www.autoblog.com/2021/03/18/...-luggage-test/ and https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/06/...-luggage-test/).

In terms of real life for the Q5, it's incredibly small for its class - I considered it and the X3 when I first started hunting and it was just tiny in the back seat compared to the X3. The hump meant the middle seat was largely useless and the legroom and width were substantially smaller than the X3. Same for the usable part of the trunk. In its class the RDX and X3 are the class leaders for space/practicality with the no hump RDX being the best if you need the middle seat.

Q5 luggage test: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/25/...-luggage-test/
RDX luggage test: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/23/...-luggage-test/ (Note that the RDX basically can hold the same amount of stuff as the CR-V despite a rating that's ~7-8 cubic feet smaller)

Last edited by supafamous; 03-27-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2021 | 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Wish they would do something about the lobster claw taillights too....
Old 03-27-2021 | 10:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acuraada
It's strange that they needed to make this connection to the Honda products like Civic and Accord.
Old 03-27-2021 | 12:52 PM
Skeptic

They look like fish hooks to me. Barb and all.
Old 03-27-2021 | 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FlopMeister
I asked my dealer/friend release date for the 2022 and he said expect it July.
Any word about Type-S?
The following 2 users liked this post by sonyfever:
SpaceBot (03-29-2021), stl0090 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-29-2021 | 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
They look like fish hooks to me. Barb and all.
They are dragon tail taillights and they are supposed to mesmerize you!

The following users liked this post:
Waetherman (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021 | 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anoop
They are dragon tail taillights and they are supposed to mesmerize you!

lol, I must be hungry when staring at them
Old 03-29-2021 | 08:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Any word about Type-S?
no he wouldn’t say anything except release date. He’s a salesman at an Acura dealership.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlopMeister:
SpaceBot (03-29-2021), stl0090 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021 | 10:42 PM
Safety Car

Given the news of an Acura EV crossover coming for the 2024 model year, I wonder if Acura has decided to dedicate whatever resources would have gone to an RDX Type-S to this instead.
Old 03-29-2021 | 11:37 PM
Racer

Honda is doing a joint development project with GM an electric platform. Not too much detail yet on which models but its in the works. While I am no longer a big GM fan they do have a lot of electric car experience going back to the EV-1 and even earlier. You can read a little about it here (note the part about GM building an Acura EV in the US for Honda):

GM to build EV for Acura
RDXinNETX (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021 | 03:55 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by hans471
Honda is doing a joint development project with GM an electric platform. Not too much detail yet on which models but its in the works. While I am no longer a big GM fan they do have a lot of electric car experience going back to the EV-1 and even earlier. You can read a little about it here (note the part about GM building an

Acura EV in the US for Honda):

GM to build EV for Acura
Since GM is on my personal "Banned-for-Life" list, I tend to feel this venture will not work out any better than having Isuzu build their first SUV.

The following 2 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
Ih8honda (07-14-2021), Rocket_man (05-16-2021)
Old 03-31-2021 | 01:15 PM
Instructor

Personally I feel like they will reveal it right after the MDX Type-S goes on sale. So if they reveal it after then I would say maybe October or November on sale date. Going based on how Acura reveals and sales vehicles.
Old 05-04-2021 | 07:54 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb HotCars

https://www.hotcars.com/2022-acura-r...t-know-so-far/

2022 Acura RDX: What We Know So Far

If you're looking for strength and quality in a conveniently sized compartment, you're at the right place.
By Hamed Paydarfar Published 22 hours ago The Acura RDX will definitely be one of the first premium crossovers to capture your interest if you prefer your luxury fusions with a splash of adrenaline. With an expressive design that involves sharp creases and massive air intakes, the RDX is a comparatively tiny SUV that isn't scared to reveal itself.

It mostly lives up to its good looks, with sleek handling and lithe results. The RDX sees its niche as a luxurious all-around crossover at an acceptable price, with Acura emphasizing more on having a smooth ride than approaching the speed of certain competitors, such as the Porsche Macan.

Since the latest version of Acura's compact crossover has only been on the market for less than 3 years, upgrades are still in the works. The Acura RDX will get a mid-cycle upgrade in 2022, and we expect a lot of new features.

The emphasis will, of course, be on aesthetics, and the testing model has already been seen on the lane. Since it wears a lot of camouflage, the standards for next year's versions are sky-high. Information on interior and engine and transmission modifications is still scarce at this time.

Considering the upcoming releases, we anticipate seeing it a little earlier than expected, most likely in the third quarter of the year.

RELATED: Acura's Type-S Story Is About Making Everything A Little Bit Better

The New Look

Via Pinterest As previously said, the forthcoming update will primarily focus on design. The testing prototype has already been seen on the track, and both ends of the automobile are disguised. The front part is nearly completely concealed. As a result, we foresee updates that will bring this model in line with the newly released new-generation MDX. This shouldn't be too difficult, given that the new design already seems to be very modern. The headlights are likely to remain unchanged, but we expect a slimmer bumper and a more conspicuous grille.

The rear bumper is sealed, so we might get the changes here. The updated exhaust system, which uses rectangular pipes instead of the original circular ones, is one of the only noticeable improvements. Typical mid-cycle refresh changes, such as new color options, tires, and so on, are also expected.

RELATED: 2021 Acura RDX: Costs, Facts, And Figures

Interior Design

Via: Acura Media Interior shots were not possible due to spy photographers' inability to get close enough. As a result, it's difficult to discuss interior improvements at this time. However, we are certain that the interior of the 2022 Acura RDX will be somewhat unchanged.

Obviously, the existing cabin still looks pretty fine. It's elegant and well-constructed. Furthermore, the majority of the fabrics are of excellent quality, making it difficult to identify any major flaws in this interior.

The total cabin measurements will, of course, stay the same, so you can expect the very same amount of passenger space. This translates to 2 rows of seats that can comfortably fit five adults. In addition, the freight area has some very decent numbers. With all the back seats up, you'll get about 29.5 cubic feet and a max number of 58.9 cubic feet. It is better than the average car in this class.

RELATED: 2022 Acura MDX: Costs, Facts, and Figures

Accessories And Specs

Via Acura We don't foresee any major changes in this area because the new model already has a long list of basic features. The catalog of important features currently contains tech gadgets, including a 10.2-inch touchscreen, Siri Eyes Free, Bluetooth, a Wi-Fi hot spot, Android Auto, HD Radio, satellite radio, two USB ports, Apple CarPlay, speech recognition, a 9-speaker stereo system, dual-zone climate control, etc.

As a result, we can keep an eye out for future upgrades to the existing set of options, which includes premium audio systems, head-up displays, navigation, and so on.

When it comes to protective features, things aren't any different. Adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, road departure prevention, lane departure warning, lane hold assists, and automatic high-beam assist are all standard on the new model. Blindspot alarm, front and reverse parking sensors, a surround-view parking camera system, rain-sensing windshield wipers, and other features are available too.

RELATED: 10 Things People Didn't Know About The Acura TLX Type S

The Engine & Performance

Via Wikimedia According to some reports, the Acura RDX could get a hybrid variant in 2022. It would reportedly use the same mechanism as the current-generation Accord, which is based on a widely known 2.0-liter gasoline engine that produces 212 horsepower totals. Standard models, on the other hand, will continue to use a 2.0-liter turbo-4. It has a power output of 272 horsepower and a torque of 280 pound-feet. This fantastic engine is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission, and the entire package is very polished.

The riding is silky smooth, and the driving mechanics are outstanding. In the town, the fuel economy is around 22 mpg, and on the highway, it's around 28 mpg. Again for this class, this is around average.

The 2022 Acura RDX will arrive a little earlier than anticipated but still in the 2nd half of the year, thanks to the mid-cycle refresh. The current model starts at about 39.000 dollars, and we don't expect a significant rise in price.
Old 05-04-2021 | 07:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX69

https://www.hotcars.com/2022-acura-r...t-know-so-far/

2022 Acura RDX: What We Know So Far

If you're looking for strength and quality in a conveniently sized compartment, you're at the right place.
By Hamed Paydarfar Published 22 hours ago The Acura RDX will definitely be one of the first premium crossovers to capture your interest if you prefer your luxury fusions with a splash of adrenaline. With an expressive design that involves sharp creases and massive air intakes, the RDX is a comparatively tiny SUV that isn't scared to reveal itself.

It mostly lives up to its good looks, with sleek handling and lithe results. The RDX sees its niche as a luxurious all-around crossover at an acceptable price, with Acura emphasizing more on having a smooth ride than approaching the speed of certain competitors, such as the Porsche Macan.

Since the latest version of Acura's compact crossover has only been on the market for less than 3 years, upgrades are still in the works. The Acura RDX will get a mid-cycle upgrade in 2022, and we expect a lot of new features.

The emphasis will, of course, be on aesthetics, and the testing model has already been seen on the lane. Since it wears a lot of camouflage, the standards for next year's versions are sky-high. Information on interior and engine and transmission modifications is still scarce at this time.

Considering the upcoming releases, we anticipate seeing it a little earlier than expected, most likely in the third quarter of the year.

RELATED: Acura's Type-S Story Is About Making Everything A Little Bit Better

The New Look

Via Pinterest As previously said, the forthcoming update will primarily focus on design. The testing prototype has already been seen on the track, and both ends of the automobile are disguised. The front part is nearly completely concealed. As a result, we foresee updates that will bring this model in line with the newly released new-generation MDX. This shouldn't be too difficult, given that the new design already seems to be very modern. The headlights are likely to remain unchanged, but we expect a slimmer bumper and a more conspicuous grille.

The rear bumper is sealed, so we might get the changes here. The updated exhaust system, which uses rectangular pipes instead of the original circular ones, is one of the only noticeable improvements. Typical mid-cycle refresh changes, such as new color options, tires, and so on, are also expected.

RELATED: 2021 Acura RDX: Costs, Facts, And Figures

Interior Design

Via: Acura Media Interior shots were not possible due to spy photographers' inability to get close enough. As a result, it's difficult to discuss interior improvements at this time. However, we are certain that the interior of the 2022 Acura RDX will be somewhat unchanged.

Obviously, the existing cabin still looks pretty fine. It's elegant and well-constructed. Furthermore, the majority of the fabrics are of excellent quality, making it difficult to identify any major flaws in this interior.

The total cabin measurements will, of course, stay the same, so you can expect the very same amount of passenger space. This translates to 2 rows of seats that can comfortably fit five adults. In addition, the freight area has some very decent numbers. With all the back seats up, you'll get about 29.5 cubic feet and a max number of 58.9 cubic feet. It is better than the average car in this class.

RELATED: 2022 Acura MDX: Costs, Facts, and Figures

Accessories And Specs

Via Acura We don't foresee any major changes in this area because the new model already has a long list of basic features. The catalog of important features currently contains tech gadgets, including a 10.2-inch touchscreen, Siri Eyes Free, Bluetooth, a Wi-Fi hot spot, Android Auto, HD Radio, satellite radio, two USB ports, Apple CarPlay, speech recognition, a 9-speaker stereo system, dual-zone climate control, etc.

As a result, we can keep an eye out for future upgrades to the existing set of options, which includes premium audio systems, head-up displays, navigation, and so on.

When it comes to protective features, things aren't any different. Adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, road departure prevention, lane departure warning, lane hold assists, and automatic high-beam assist are all standard on the new model. Blindspot alarm, front and reverse parking sensors, a surround-view parking camera system, rain-sensing windshield wipers, and other features are available too.

RELATED: 10 Things People Didn't Know About The Acura TLX Type S

The Engine & Performance

Via Wikimedia According to some reports, the Acura RDX could get a hybrid variant in 2022. It would reportedly use the same mechanism as the current-generation Accord, which is based on a widely known 2.0-liter gasoline engine that produces 212 horsepower totals. Standard models, on the other hand, will continue to use a 2.0-liter turbo-4. It has a power output of 272 horsepower and a torque of 280 pound-feet. This fantastic engine is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission, and the entire package is very polished.

The riding is silky smooth, and the driving mechanics are outstanding. In the town, the fuel economy is around 22 mpg, and on the highway, it's around 28 mpg. Again for this class, this is around average.

The 2022 Acura RDX will arrive a little earlier than anticipated but still in the 2nd half of the year, thanks to the mid-cycle refresh. The current model starts at about 39.000 dollars, and we don't expect a significant rise in price.
I saw this but it gives zero to no detail we already know about from the Spy Shots and what other news reporters are reporting.
Old 05-04-2021 | 07:59 AM
Instructor

From the post above " including a 10.2-inch touchscreen " so the track pad is no mas?
Old 05-04-2021 | 08:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDXinNETX
From the post above " including a 10.2-inch touchscreen "
I think after the MDX was revealed Acura was going to put it in all of there line up except for the ILX replacement.
RDXinNETX (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021 | 08:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TigerEyeJazz
I think after the MDX was revealed Acura was going to put it in all of there line up except for the ILX replacement.
The Tscreen was one of the reason's I just lateraled into a Care by Volvo XC60 but given how the XC60 has been the last few days I may not return to an RDX in 4 months.
Old 05-04-2021 | 08:08 AM
Instructor

The Tscreen was one of the reason's I just lateraled into a Care by Volvo XC60 but given how the XC60 has been the last few days I may not return to an RDX in 4 months.
I’ve heard mixed things about Volvo new 4 cylinder engines. Some say it’s good and some say it’s bad. Watch a review of Savagegeese the other day and he mentioned that the dealership is usually stock pilled with Volvo for engine problems. Don’t quote me on that though because I can’t quite remember that.
Old 05-04-2021 | 09:26 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

From the post above " including a 10.2-inch touchscreen " so the track pad is no mas?
I don't think that's accurate. That article is a word salad that says nothing, probably written by someone who doesn't know anything about the current RDX or its trackpad interface. The MDX does not have a touchscreen. Acura seems to be all-in on the TrueTouch trackpad system and I don't see them moving away from it, though hopefully it will be improved.
The following 2 users liked this post by Waetherman:
amcobra (05-12-2021), RDXinNETX (05-04-2021)
Old 05-12-2021 | 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Count me in those who don't like the rectangular tail pipes. I really hope the MMC doesn't mirror the ILX MMC where it looked like they squared the bumpers and edges just for the sake of making changes (IMO).

The current RDX design is fluid and I hope they don't square it off...