Negotiating Add-ons/Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Negotiating Add-ons/Accessories

So I'm likely to purchase the RDX soon, and I realize that I'll pay pretty darn close to sticker since it's a new model. However, is there any room to negotiate the price of add-ons? If so, how do you go about fairly pricing them out? I'm talking anything (maybe a trailer hitch, roof rack, wheel locks, all weather mats, new rims, etc.)? I want to ensure I give the dealer a fair shake, but I don't want to be shaken down either!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Huskr84
So I'm likely to purchase the RDX soon, and I realize that I'll pay pretty darn close to sticker since it's a new model. However, is there any room to negotiate the price of add-ons? If so, how do you go about fairly pricing them out? I'm talking anything (maybe a trailer hitch, roof rack, wheel locks, all weather mats, new rims, etc.)? I want to ensure I give the dealer a fair shake, but I don't want to be shaken down either!
First, since I've done this SO many times...and I only negotiate with one of two folks at my dealerships. Either the Gen. Sales Mgr...that's the #2 person or the GM. Many if not all my GM's are hands on people and great to sit down
with and make a deal. Just ask for a meeting. Don't go in and talk to the first Sales person that "grabs you." Too much time wasted going back and forth. Haven't done that in years. Make the deal with either of the 2 people
I mentioned. Just look them up on their web site so you know who they are. Then call for an appt. to sit down with them. They won't say no...they want to sell cars. Trust me...again, I've done this MANY times....and I've been told
by virtually all of them...."you are not the typical buyer!" No I'm not. I'm a no nonsense buyer who's been a car salesman in my past and have bought tons of new cars.

Next...you are going in with the wrong attitude...already defeated by saying you'll probably have to pay close to sticker. That's only true, mostly, IF you allow that to happen. I won't have to at all, but, I have an advantage. This will be my
5th Acura from my dealer. But, even if it's your first, go in with the attitude that you are going to make an offer and go from there. Know what amount you will pay max for the car. KEEP that to yourself. Do your homework. Go on True Car
dot com and other places. I bet, if you tried hard you can get about $1,000 off MSRP. But, start at even more of a discount. You have to be willing to get up and say..."I guess you can't sell me a car today."

Now, first ones...yes, may be a little tougher to negotiate a deal...but, I know it can be done. I've done it in the past with cars that were....New models....hot items, etc.etc. I've had dealers call me back after refusing my offer.....and ask
if I still wanted the car. One time...I said...NO...I"ve already bought one. I was asked...."how much did you pay?" My answer...."what I wanted to!"

Now...accessories. Once the deal is struck on the price of your purchase.....then you say..."I'd like a discount on all the accessories I may want to buy. And, since I know I can buy them for 25 to 30% off MSRP....I'd like to buy them
from you for 25% discount....and I'd like you to please discount the labor to install." I get that every time I buy. Now...Sales and Parts and Service are run separately "on the books." So, getting you discounts they have to "talk" with
their Parts and Service Mgrs.....but, I've never had the GM...or the Gen. Sales Mgr. come back and say..."no we can't do that!" YES they can...and do. Most people are afraid to ask! Nothing to be afraid of....ASK...or basically "tell them
what you need in order for you to buy the car." Accessories, if done right, can always be negotiated with the sale. It's automatic now when I go to my Acura dealer. I don't have to ask.....he KNOWS he will be giving me 25% off on
accessories. It's just all so much easier when you end up a "regular" at a dealership."

So...do your homework....have your "numbers written down'...in a folder or something that you sit down with and open up and read from. That tips them off you've done your homework. I always carry in a nice folder with an 8.5 x 11" pad
and pen with notes...and quotes....ready to read off as I need to.
Also, ask to see the Invoice. In today's car buying world they have no problem printing you a copy. Why??....'cause they know you can get the Invoice costs from True Car dot com...and Edmonds....etc. So, they are willing to give it up
to you. But, again, YOU need to have that number written down on your tablet because you already looked it up before you arrive....as part of your preparation.

Any questions...PM me.
The following 6 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
birdonamission (05-14-2018), Froid (05-18-2018), MCBfly (09-30-2018), MrJames (05-14-2018), oblio98 (05-15-2018), TxLady (05-18-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
First, since I've done this SO many times...and I only negotiate with one of two folks at my dealerships. Either the Gen. Sales Mgr...that's the #2 person or the GM. Many if not all my GM's are hands on people and great to sit down
with and make a deal. Just ask for a meeting. Don't go in and talk to the first Sales person that "grabs you." Too much time wasted going back and forth. Haven't done that in years. Make the deal with either of the 2 people
I mentioned. Just look them up on their web site so you know who they are. Then call for an appt. to sit down with them. They won't say no...they want to sell cars. Trust me...again, I've done this MANY times....and I've been told
by virtually all of them...."you are not the typical buyer!" No I'm not. I'm a no nonsense buyer who's been a car salesman in my past and have bought tons of new cars.

Next...you are going in with the wrong attitude...already defeated by saying you'll probably have to pay close to sticker. That's only true, mostly, IF you allow that to happen. I won't have to at all, but, I have an advantage. This will be my
5th Acura from my dealer. But, even if it's your first, go in with the attitude that you are going to make an offer and go from there. Know what amount you will pay max for the car. KEEP that to yourself. Do your homework. Go on True Car
dot com and other places. I bet, if you tried hard you can get about $1,000 off MSRP. But, start at even more of a discount. You have to be willing to get up and say..."I guess you can't sell me a car today."

Now, first ones...yes, may be a little tougher to negotiate a deal...but, I know it can be done. I've done it in the past with cars that were....New models....hot items, etc.etc. I've had dealers call me back after refusing my offer.....and ask
if I still wanted the car. One time...I said...NO...I"ve already bought one. I was asked...."how much did you pay?" My answer...."what I wanted to!"

Now...accessories. Once the deal is struck on the price of your purchase.....then you say..."I'd like a discount on all the accessories I may want to buy. And, since I know I can buy them for 25 to 30% off MSRP....I'd like to buy them
from you for 25% discount....and I'd like you to please discount the labor to install." I get that every time I buy. Now...Sales and Parts and Service are run separately "on the books." So, getting you discounts they have to "talk" with
their Parts and Service Mgrs.....but, I've never had the GM...or the Gen. Sales Mgr. come back and say..."no we can't do that!" YES they can...and do. Most people are afraid to ask! Nothing to be afraid of....ASK...or basically "tell them
what you need in order for you to buy the car." Accessories, if done right, can always be negotiated with the sale. It's automatic now when I go to my Acura dealer. I don't have to ask.....he KNOWS he will be giving me 25% off on
accessories. It's just all so much easier when you end up a "regular" at a dealership."

So...do your homework....have your "numbers written down'...in a folder or something that you sit down with and open up and read from. That tips them off you've done your homework. I always carry in a nice folder with an 8.5 x 11" pad
and pen with notes...and quotes....ready to read off as I need to.
Also, ask to see the Invoice. In today's car buying world they have no problem printing you a copy. Why??....'cause they know you can get the Invoice costs from True Car dot com...and Edmonds....etc. So, they are willing to give it up
to you. But, again, YOU need to have that number written down on your tablet because you already looked it up before you arrive....as part of your preparation.

Any questions...PM me.
Great advice. I'm a complete novice as I only buy every 10-15 years. I did something similar when I bought my 05 TL. I pulled the email address of the sales manager off the dealer website. Did my homework and named my price for the car I wanted in the color combo and all options with only certain accessories included that I wanted. Made it clear that if the car they tried to sell me included any additional options or accessories that it would be included in my named price. They gave me the exact car I wanted at the total price I was willing to pay before I ever set foot on the lot.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:06 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by MrJames
Great advice. I'm a complete novice as I only buy every 10-15 years. I did something similar when I bought my 05 TL. I pulled the email address of the sales manager off the dealer website. Did my homework and named my price for the car I wanted in the color combo and all options with only certain accessories included that I wanted. Made it clear that if the car they tried to sell me included any additional options or accessories that it would be included in my named price. They gave me the exact car I wanted at the total price I was willing to pay before I ever set foot on the lot.
Thank you! I just like the "chase" for what I want..and the deal making. I've owned over 60 vehicles and well over 30+ new ones. So, that, and once sold cars when jobs were tough...I learned some things that I put to use now.
I can't tell you the last time I actually talked to a floor sales person to start to buy a car. At least 20 yrs. But, the BEST thing is to be a "multiple vehicle buyer" at one dealership. Then it's ALL much easier. Hey, I just bought my 4th
Acura, a TLX A-Spec recently...and my GM gave my wife...a whiskey decanter from...Tiffany and Co! That's not done everyday for sure! We do the "deal" over emails and or the phone. Quick and easy. The car is ready when
I arrive...I check it over and write them a check. Nice and easy now. I do trade...so that is negotiated also...but, he never looks at my trade vehicle...he knows how nice they are....and I get for them what I ask for. I've got it good when
it comes to a GM and a dealership. Soon, looks like a '19 RDX will be negotiated. NOT sure how this will go. I KNOW the '19's will be hot items...so, I don't know how flexible he will be. But, I do know this...he will be more flexible
with me than with a "walk in buyer." That's the good part about a repeat customer. I'll ask for the Invoice via email....he'll send it to me...or has it done...LOL.....and I will email my offer...we go back and forth usually one time..and it's done.
I always go for a big discount...knowing I may not get it..but, that's where you start. I normally get at least $2K off MSRP. Got lots more on my TLX. Had to...since the '19's were about to come out. He drives an A-Spec TLX and an
MDX for his wife.

He actually asked me some time ago....he wants me to give an evaluation on what I think about the new RDX. He values my knowledge and input....and seriously wants to know what Acura did right and what the messed up! I'll print it
up and give it to him. I'm a straight shooter. He already knows I hate the push button trans!!! LOL! The jury is still out for me...on how the new turbo 4 cyl and trans work together. IF that is good then I'll pick which RDX I want...or
WE want. LOL!! Wife leaning toward the Advance..but, she likes the red leather interior of the A-Spec..which is exclusive to that model. I like both for different things. Hard decision really. My GM is saving one of each in my color
choices..so we have to decide which one we want.

And, good for you on that deal you made. You did it the way it should be done...IF a person wants to get the best deal.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Or you can use the Costco Auto buying program. They will send you to a local Acura dealer near your address . And you can use their No Haggle Price as a starting point ... I will still do my homework and take that No Haggle price to other Acura dealers . Living here in Southern Calif is a bonus , since So Cal is prolly the car capital of the world . I can get so many dealers within driving distance .

If you buy from Costco , they will include this
;Complete a satisfaction survey after your purchase for additional savings
If you purchase a new or select pre-owned vehicle, complete a Costco Auto Program member satisfaction survey within 30 days to receive a 50% off coupon** – good toward parts, service and accessories at the dealership where the vehicle was purchased.•Executive Members receive 50% off, up to a maximum of $200 in savings•Gold Star and Business Members receive 50% off, up to a maximum of $100 in savings
Instructor

Or you can use the Costco Auto buying program. They will send you to a local Acura dealer near your address . And you can use their No Haggle Price as a starting point ... I will still do my homework and take that No Haggle price to other Acura dealers . Living here in Southern Calif is a bonus , since So Cal is prolly the car capital of the world . I can get so many dealers within driving distance .

If you buy from Costco , they will include this
;Complete a satisfaction survey after your purchase for additional savings
If you purchase a new or select pre-owned vehicle, complete a Costco Auto Program member satisfaction survey within 30 days to receive a 50% off coupon** – good toward parts, service and accessories at the dealership where the vehicle was purchased.•Executive Members receive 50% off, up to a maximum of $200 in savings•Gold Star and Business Members receive 50% off, up to a maximum of $100 in savings
Instructor

Parts, Service and Accessories Discount

Every Costco member receives 15% off parts, service and accessories at participating service centers on any vehicle in your household – even if you’ve never purchased through the program.*
Old 05-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Or you can hold your horses and see how it plays out.

I plan to wait six months. If I decide to go with this car.

The pace of automotive advancement is high, but it does plateau.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Or you can hold your horses and see how it plays out.

I plan to wait six months. If I decide to go with this car.

The pace of automotive advancement is high, but it does plateau.
This me as well. The RDX is my leading contender but I'm not planning to buy until the end of the year or early next year. Acura did a great job with the new RDX so I'm also intrigued with what they will do with the next MDX.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Drifting

You must curb your enthusiasm, or the dealer will see it a mile away. And if you don’t have someone on the inside, you give up a big advantage when they sense you really, really, really want this car.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've been wondering for a while... Is there a politically correct way to do a test drive at a dealership and still be able to negotiate the price with the GM or the Gen. Sales Mgr.?

I don't see myself asking the Gen. Sales Mgr. for a test ride and if I do the test drive with a floor sales person I feel like it's not 'correct' to finally close the deal with his boss.

There is only one Acura dealer not too far. There is other one 90 minutes away.

Should I drive to the dealership further (where I don't plan to buy) for the test drive?
Old 05-16-2018, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ultramart
I've been wondering for a while... Is there a politically correct way to do a test drive at a dealership and still be able to negotiate the price with the GM or the Gen. Sales Mgr.?

I don't see myself asking the Gen. Sales Mgr. for a test ride and if I do the test drive with a floor sales person I feel like it's not 'correct' to finally close the deal with his boss.

Should I drive to the dealership further (where I don't plan to buy) for the test drive?
A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

You don’t owe them anything. There are a whole bunch of ‘secret shoppers’ who get paid to take test drives of cars they don’t plan to buy, and report back about the experience. Consider yourself ‘quality control’ if you test drive at another location. Too, having another location gives competition, you don’t know for sure that in your case, dealing with a GSM is better. I would also test drive a 2.0 Honda Accord to focus on engine and transmission.

I’ve got three within a reasonable distance, and I plan to visit them all.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Hello World

Ok thanks! I will feel less guilty. LOL
Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

OK...listen up...or read up! LOL!! As I've already told you I've done this MANY times. First let me inform you.....you are not CLOSING the deal per se with the GM or Gen. Sales Mgr. You would settle on the price you pay and your
trade and agree on getting 25% off of accessories. You can make the apt, tell him/her what you are looking at and that you'd like to make the negotiating sit down with them...no one else.

Finance always does the paperwork no matter who you do the deal with. I wasn't financing so it was straight forward....just sign and date where he told us to. After I checked the #'s and correctness of name spellings etc.

Now, they will "assign" a sales person to help you with the test drive etc. That person will also be "given the deal" IF you buy the car. The top 2 folks are either salaried or take a % of total sales....or both. Depends on their contract.
But, it's really that simple. Don't make it harder...although I understand it is your first time doing this.

I just bought my latest Acura recently. My GM and I made the deal....he picked a sales person he wanted to get the "credit" of a sales...and this person has stayed with me from right after the deal was struck and still today we
talk on the phone and text.

Now, what I just explained is very doable....'cause again...I've done it this way for approx. 25 yrs. No kidding...I have.

Also, my Acura dealer that I've purchased 5 Acuras from is 100 miles round trip for me. There is one in the city, but, they suck big time. BUT, I had no problems going there, asked if they had a white/red TLX A-Spec....and that
I would like to drive it. Both my wife and I. I just talked to the first sales person that greeted us. It was very slow and most were sitting in the lounge watching TV. They didn't look too enthused to be selling.
So, this guy pulled the car into the bldg...service entrance area....so we could look it over inside and out. He knew almost nothing about the car. It was unreal. I knew more than he did. When we were ready to take it out, I asked
him if my wife and I could drive it in the local area. He literally threw the key fob at me, so I could catch it....and said...."have a blast." He didn't even go with us. He put the plates on and off we went.

We got back...did some chit chatting with him....I asked for a brochure on the car since none were out....he said I think we are out of them. I said...oh, there are always some around....in the back room or someone's desk.
He went back and handed me one. I thanked him and we were on our way. He didn't even try to sell us the car.

My point was to do a test drive without having to do a 100 mi. round trip. I told my GM what I was going to do.....of course he said, "fine...let me know what you think." He drives the same car. We then made the deal via email and text and
by phone. Quick and easy....but, in my case it was this way since it was my 5th purchase from him.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 05-16-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
There is one in the city, but, they suck big time. ... It was very slow and most were sitting in the lounge watching TV. They didn't look too enthused to be selling.
So, this guy pulled the car into the bldg...service entrance area....so we could look it over inside and out. He knew almost nothing about the car. It was unreal. I knew more than he did. When we were ready to take it out, I asked
him if my wife and I could drive it in the local area. He literally threw the key fob at me, so I could catch it....and said...."have a blast." He didn't even go with us. He put the plates on and off we went.

We got back...did some chit chatting with him....I asked for a brochure on the car since none were out....he said I think we are out of them. I said...oh, there are always some around....in the back room or someone's desk.
He went back and handed me one. I thanked him and we were on our way. He didn't even try to sell us the car.
Whoa... How does that dealership in the city closer to you even stay in business? I would drive 100 miles RT too just to avoid them.

I'd be like
Old 05-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Hello World

Ok thanks!

When I bought my current vehicle, I paid a few dollars to have the dealer's invoice price report. According to this report their margin was 3,668$.

Then I sent my offer by email to my salesperson: invoice price + 750$.

Ok, maybe that was very aggressive but better start with a lowball, right? LOL

He replied (by email) something like: Sorry, I can't afford to have you as a client.

That's all. No counter offer... End of discussion. I had to call him to restart the negotiation.

I'm still wondering if the offer was really too low or if he was just better than me at negotiating. LOL

Finally after a few phone calls ( I tough it was better than negotiating at the dealership) we agreed on dealer's invoice price + 1,500$.

I'm very interested to have your opinion on my strategy and on those numbers. :-)
Old 05-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by birdonamission
Whoa... How does that dealership in the city closer to you even stay in business? I would drive 100 miles RT too just to avoid them.

I'd be like
They are well known for terrible sales dept, parts and service. I had a friend that some yrs ago worked in the service dept. I've talked to people over the years that have horror stories about service work there. I've often asked
"how does Acura let them stay in business?"

I have never done business of any kind with them. I only wanted to "use them' and their TLX to test drive, which is not a problem, and they certainly didn't care...or care about selling the car. Hell, I drove in there in a '17 RDX!
So, yes, I've been making the 100 mi. round trip to buy cars at one dealer that I now can call the GM and many other's there my friends. They cater to me and I make deals via email, text, and phone. My trades...they never look at
them before giving me a trade value price! That is a true fact. Why?....'cause they know my word is solid....and they've seen my past trades...always low mileage...and still look almost new. My last 2 RDX trades were bought my
"lookers" from the front lot just after I arrived to pick up my new car. They still had to accept it in...do the mandatory multi point inspection etc, etc. My trades are always CPO vehicles. ( Certified Pre-Owned)...so, after the dealer
does what Acura requires plus pay Acura a certain $$ amount it is then sold as a CPO vehicles...with a special warranty, etc. On the lot the CPO cars, of course, cost more than the other's.
The following users liked this post:
birdonamission (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
They are well known for terrible sales dept, parts and service. I had a friend that some yrs ago worked in the service dept. I've talked to people over the years that have horror stories about service work there. I've often asked
"how does Acura let them stay in business?"

I have never done business of any kind with them. I only wanted to "use them' and their TLX to test drive, which is not a problem, and they certainly didn't care...or care about selling the car. Hell, I drove in there in a '17 RDX!
So, yes, I've been making the 100 mi. round trip to buy cars at one dealer that I now can call the GM and many other's there my friends. They cater to me and I make deals via email, text, and phone. My trades...they never look at
them before giving me a trade value price! That is a true fact. Why?....'cause they know my word is solid....and they've seen my past trades...always low mileage...and still look almost new. My last 2 RDX trades were bought my
"lookers" from the front lot just after I arrived to pick up my new car. They still had to accept it in...do the mandatory multi point inspection etc, etc. My trades are always CPO vehicles. ( Certified Pre-Owned)...so, after the dealer
does what Acura requires plus pay Acura a certain $$ amount it is then sold as a CPO vehicles...with a special warranty, etc. On the lot the CPO cars, of course, cost more than the other's.
Dealerships like that damage the overall brand's reputation...which is too bad -- Acura makes really good cars (love my '17). You really worked hard to build a bond and relationship with your dealership and it has paid off. Good for you! Plus, good for them! They have a good customer who comes back again and again.

Speaking of trades... Mine has the normal dings and scratches on the paint (very, very few and barely perceptible) after driving it since September 2016. What do you recommend, if anything, to optimize its condition to get the highest trade in or sales quote from car buyers? Trust me, my '17 is still very much new-looking all inside and out. The interior is impeccably clean as it's just me in it 90% of the time...
Old 05-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Ok thanks!

When I bought my current vehicle, I paid a few dollars to have the dealer's invoice price report. According to this report their margin was 3,668$.

Then I sent my offer by email to my salesperson: invoice price + 750$.

Ok, maybe that was very aggressive but better start with a lowball, right? LOL

He replied (by email) something like: Sorry, I can't afford to have you as a client.

That's all. No counter offer... End of discussion. I had to call him to restart the negotiation.

I'm still wondering if the offer was really too low or if he was just better than me at negotiating. LOL

Finally after a few phone calls ( I tough it was better than negotiating at the dealership) we agreed on dealer's invoice price + 1,500$.

I'm very interested to have your opinion on my strategy and on those numbers. :-)
Sorry, but, I just realized you are in Canada. My bad. Paid for an Invoice?? Wow.....not here. Just ask the top guys and you will get one printed and given to you right there. I've had many emailed to me as documents. I read them at
home!

Not sure how "dealing price" goes in Canada, but, NO your offer was not too low. It's a place to start. IF it's soundly rejected then I would say...."then what number are you thinking?" That of course will be HIGH....and then you
try to "work him/her" from that point to get close as you can to your original offer., All the while you must know what the MAX you will want to spend. It does help if there are other dealers within a reasonable distance to check out
also.

$1,500 over Invoice is starting to get close to the MSRP...depending on the car. Some, or many, there are not large margins for profit. And, don't forget, Acura always has "back money" to give dealers with incentives etc.
Dealers make MOST of their profits from USED vehicles. That's a fact, that once you know someone there well, they will admit to. I've had that conversation often.

My recent purchase of an '18 TLX A-Spec...I bought for under Invoice.. Why...'cause the '19's were soon to arrive...and I'm a great customer for them. It was my 5th purchase of a new Acura from them. The GM is very good to me.
While taking delivery of this car.....the GM brought out a gift for my wife. I recognized the "color used on the box"......inside was a whiskey decanter from Tiffany and Co!, in crystal. Now, not everyone gets that....for sure!! LOL!!
We were quite surprised at that.

So, my upcoming...."'POSSIBLE PURCHASE OF A NEW RDX" will be interesting when the numbers are played out. I know the RDX's will be hot sellers. Again, what I do have going for me is it would be my 6th new Acura from him.
So, he does loosen up the selling prices for me. He'll make it back on someone else paying full MSRP for one!! LOL!! There are those folks that will walk in a dealership and believe all the BS...like, OH, this is a very hot seller and
it's the "market value" right now...so we can't take any less than MSRP!" And many pay it. But, I guarantee you if it's your first time in a dealer....and you negotiate with the GM or Gen. Sales Mgr..at least in the U.S. you won't have to
pay MSRP for most any vehicle. I never have..even when I was told...they would not do any better. Within the same day....they called back...and.....DID BETTER!! They want to sell cars.
ultramart (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The best thing you can do... is walk out.

Regardless of what price they give you, hum and haw a little bit, tell them you're not sure about the price and that you'll think about it. They will do everything they can to make you stay. They'll tell you they're your friends and they care for you and about your family, and blah blah blah. Don't bite. Just say thanks, Tell them you'll consider their prices but will look at other dealerships. take the info and leave.

Wait a few days. They WILL call you. And that's when you have the upper hand. Whatever price they gave you, you can start knocking dollars off and/or adding features/options on.

Now... this being a brand new model, it may not be so easy to do this. But once it's on the market for six months? Hell yeah.
ultramart (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by birdonamission
Dealerships like that damage the overall brand's reputation...which is too bad -- Acura makes really good cars (love my '17). You really worked hard to build a bond and relationship with your dealership and it has paid off. Good for you! Plus, good for them! They have a good customer who comes back again and again.

Speaking of trades... Mine has the normal dings and scratches on the paint (very, very few and barely perceptible) after driving it since September 2016. What do you recommend, if anything, to optimize its condition to get the highest trade in or sales quote from car buyers? Trust me, my '17 is still very much new-looking all inside and out. The interior is impeccably clean as it's just me in it 90% of the time...
Thank you and I agree on the "lousy dealer." I just hope I don't have warranty issue that doesn't allow me to drive the car....then Acura will expect me to take it to the nearest dealer. Or, I could pay to have it flat bedded up to my dealer.
But, with all the Acura's I've owned, only had 2 issues needing parts/repair....and, I drove up to my dealer. Replaced one new front parking sensor "button"....and a right rear shock that was leaking. That's it.

So, on a trade vehicle. Well, I would first try and get a good idea of what it's trade value is. Look up on all the web sites and kind of average the figures out. That's how I do it. And, I've pretty much received the $$ amount I wanted.
Now, somehow, I've been lucky and my trades are without any dents..minor or otherwise...no scratches that are even perceptible. IF you have some "things" that could look better...and look better to them....I'd take it to a respected body
shop and get an estimate of the cost to fix. Normally.....what you would pay...is less that what the dealer will deduct from your trade after they see it. It's just a "bottom line profit" issue....always.

My last trade was a great '16 RDX, white/parchment, Advance with way low miles. Here we have issues with tiny rocks on the roads from the "mix" they use during winter. Guess what those rocks due to windshields. They know this and
mine had quite a few tiny "hits." I also had one repaired by Safelite...as I have many other times on other vehicles. inject them with their polymer and it looks better and keeps the glass from cracking. I told them it had that.

But, I still got what I wanted for the trade. Often, they will replace a windshield that is bad enough...since the rest of the car looks almost new. They can buy the Acura replacement windshield at a fairly low cost and have their own
glass guy put the new one in.

So, knowing how much they will take off for dents, dings, small scratches is a big guess. Depends now.....but, with my dealer, and I had this situation facing me....I would take it to my GM....ask him how much for my trade...warts and all,
then find out how much it would cost to "make it all look better"....and then decide which way to go. In the end we all "pay" for "damage" no matter how small. It's normal wear for high mileage and in some locations that helps devalue the
trade. I've been lucky...again...and I make sure the paint looks as perfect as possible. Well, waxed...I even wax the door jams! Open the doors and what do you see...in my trades? A vehicle that looks like new. Inside, virtually no
issues....just clean and shine it up. Tires should be at least 7 mm tread left...if not...most likely you'll take a hit for tires...they will replace them, esp, it they want it to be sold as a CPO car. Acura mandates that as other mfer's do.

Clean under the hood....just make it looks as clean and shiny as you can. It DOES make a difference. It shows you take care of your vehicle....and they always joke with me...."we don't even have to detail your car!" That's right they don't.
they just do the obligatory multi point maint. inspection....brakes, wear and tear items....anything loose underneath, leaking shocks, etc, etc.

Hope that helps. Anything else...PM me.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Hello World

Originally Posted by TacoBello
They will do everything they can to make you stay. They'll tell you they're your friends and they care for you and about your family, and blah blah blah.
Exactly! They will also try to make you feel guilty: I gave you a good service, had I ride with you, we need to pay for our expenses (heating, building), if I don't close this sale my boss will be mad at me.

Some other 'arguments' I heard: They're selling like hotcakes. We can't have enough from the manufacturer. Someone else will buy it.

Also he was always trying to get back to the MSRP to explain the generous 'discount' he was giving me. Every time I was telling him: you don't give me anything, your invoice price is X$ and you make a profit of Y$ over that. He didn't give up easily, I had to repeat the same thing several times.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exactly! They will also try to make you feel guilty: I gave you a good service, had I ride with you, we need to pay for our expenses (heating, building), if I don't close this sale my boss will be mad at me.

Some other 'arguments' I heard: They're selling like hotcakes. We can't have enough from the manufacturer. Someone else will buy it.

Also he was always trying to get back to the MSRP to explain the generous 'discount' he was giving me. Every time I was telling him: you don't give me anything, your invoice price is X$ and you make a profit of Y$ over that. He didn't give up easily, I had to repeat the same thing several times.
This why I don't negotiate in person any more. I have purchased my last five vehicles online via email and it has saved me lots of time and gotten me good deals (I know someone, somewhere got a better deal, but I hate negotiating with people when I perceive them as potentially less than forthright and sincere). At any rate, living in the Boston area, I have 9-10 dealers (Honda, Subaru, Nissan - depends on what I was buying) within 75 miles or so, so they can be induced to provide competitive bids. I send out an email to the GM and tell them I am prepared to buy X vehicle with Y trim and with these options. I tell them up front that I will buy from the dealer with the best price. I asked they submit FULL cost excluding TT&L only. I make it very VERY clear that ALL dealer fees, expenses etc. must be included in their final price.

I typically get bids from 6-7 dealers. What amazes me is the range of prices quoted - typically $3000+ or more variance on the EXACT SAME ~$30-40K vehicle. I had one dealer refuse to give me a price unless I came in. I explained that for me (I am the customer, right?) this was like buying an appliance and that no matter how wonderful they were, I wouldn't be returning after the sale because of the distance from my home. Well, this sales person wrote me a full two-page letter as to why they and their dealership were "different" and they could not give me a price via email. They were very indignant that I had the audacity to say that one vehicle is the exact same as another vehicle from another dealer (they better be, considering I am buying brand new vehicles!). I always let the two runner-up dealers make a counter-offer after getting my best quote. This whole process takes about a week. Fine by me, as I am a planner and not an impulse buyer (not since that 1981 Camaro Z-28 in my youth ... but I digress)

So, all in all, it is a very stress-free process. I have gotten a couple of invoice price reports and my pricing was very near the lowest profit margin dealers would take. So, do your test drive wherever, but once you are ready to buy I wouldn't bother haggling in a dealership unless you like that type of activity.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:51 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
To me the biggest guilt trip buying cars in the finance guy and his wheeling and dealing trying to get me to buy crap like glass etching, tire and rim protection, paint protection, extended warranty protection, and stuff like that. Geez, they really get pissed off when I say 'no', 'no', 'no'. They try their best, but I still say no. That finance guy makes a decent buck when someone buys that extra stuff. Probably a big profit margin there.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I like to start off with "I'm real happy with my current ride and not even sure I want to buy a new car etc etc" - then test drive and nose around and don't show any emotion. Go by yourself.

Then you can come back at a later date (by yourself) and tell them "I'm interested but my wife won't let me spend a penny more than: $39,000 OTD (or whatever price makes sense)" - this takes YOU out of the negotiation. You're sure as hell not going to make your wife angry by spending more than she gave the okay for! Be sure they understand this. If they can't meet the price your wife is going to let you spend then tell them thanks anyways and walk.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, everyone for the advice. I'm pretty comfortable pricing out the car where everyone gets a good deal - this will be my 4th deal with this guy who is now a manager but the only person I work with. It was the 'extra' accessory stuff that I wasn't sure how to price out. It sounds like take off at least 25% and negotiate a lesser labor rate for install are the way to go! Thanks again!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Great tips, everyone. I've used some of these methods myself and have had great success with emailing several dealers in a 100 mile radius and asking for best prices on specific model with specific options and then letting the two lowest priced dealers compete for my business. This has worked very well but we usually only buy new cars at the very end of the model year. We are very interested in the '19 RDX and actually need to buy a car within the next month because we're giving one of our cars to our college daughter so my husband and I will sharing a car which will be quite painful. I hate being in the "perfect storm" position of desperately needing a car and also specifically wanting a brand new model hot off the factory floor - I'm not sure how to handle negotiations with this type of purchase. We obviously need to test drive the car and understand pricing before emailing dealers for prices. However, if we go to test drive a demo car, we'll be roped in with a specific salesperson and I would rather deal directly with either the internet sales manager or the GM (thanks for that tip, Colorado Guy AF!). So what would be the best way to handle this type of negotiation without being locked into a specific sales person just because we go test drive the demo? Also, will it be difficult to buy a car when they first hit the dealer lots because of people already putting deposits on these cars? We live in Ohio about 45 minutes from the factory, so I'm hoping the dealers here get these '19 RDXs soon and that there are many on order. I absolutely do not want to sit down with anyone - really want to do this by email. Any advice on how to handle this type of negotiation?
Old 05-18-2018, 05:17 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by baseballmom94
Great tips, everyone. I've used some of these methods myself and have had great success with emailing several dealers in a 100 mile radius and asking for best prices on specific model with specific options and then letting the two lowest priced dealers compete for my business. This has worked very well but we usually only buy new cars at the very end of the model year. We are very interested in the '19 RDX and actually need to buy a car within the next month because we're giving one of our cars to our college daughter so my husband and I will sharing a car which will be quite painful. I hate being in the "perfect storm" position of desperately needing a car and also specifically wanting a brand new model hot off the factory floor - I'm not sure how to handle negotiations with this type of purchase. We obviously need to test drive the car and understand pricing before emailing dealers for prices. However, if we go to test drive a demo car, we'll be roped in with a specific salesperson and I would rather deal directly with either the internet sales manager or the GM (thanks for that tip, Colorado Guy AF!). So what would be the best way to handle this type of negotiation without being locked into a specific sales person just because we go test drive the demo? Also, will it be difficult to buy a car when they first hit the dealer lots because of people already putting deposits on these cars? We live in Ohio about 45 minutes from the factory, so I'm hoping the dealers here get these '19 RDXs soon and that there are many on order. I absolutely do not want to sit down with anyone - really want to do this by email. Any advice on how to handle this type of negotiation?
It comes down to supply and demand. If dealers can get a premium for all the cars on the lot, they will be less likely to negotiate. This will likely be the case if the RDX is as much of a hot item as we all seem to think it will be. This does not mean that dealers won’t be willing to negotiate via email, they will just be less likely to give you a great deal. The dealers you may have more success with are those that are trying to get their volume up so as to get greater allotments I the future. These tend to be newer dealers and smaller dealers further away from metro areas. If you are flexible on color or options, you are much more likely to get a vehicle at a better price.
there are also various car buying services through Costco or other companies that will get you a guaranteed price. Usually not as good as you negotiating, but generally fair if you are afraid the dealer may try to take advantage of you as an individual buyer.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by baseballmom94

I bought my 1st Gen TLX right when it came out (won't do that again ) and used the "my wife won't let me spend more than $$$ tactic - I had to wait a month before they finally gave in but I did get the discount I wanted and honestly I wasn't asking for a lot. If the RDX is a hot seller right out of the gate the dealers have an advantage over you. They may be happy to keep the prices high and not sell you a car if they're selling like hotcakes.

You can do most negotiating via email regardless of how new the car is. My wife bought a new Honda CRV and we emailed about 10 Honda dealers then let them duke it out. Once we got the price we wanted we drove in and signed the docs. Of course it's easier with Honda because there are lot more dealers. You need to know exactly what you want - they'll get one for you even if they have to trade with another dealer to get it.

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 05-18-2018 at 07:57 AM.