Navigation Screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:15 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Screen

How do you change the scale (zoom in/out) of the GPS map? (It is always on 1/4 mile and I can not figure out how to change it.)
Old 06-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
I had the same question. I just reviewed the Nav manual and it does not address how to change the scale while following a route or just viewing the map. It does mention (p. 51) the ability to zoom in or out when you go into "Explore" mode, but I'm not sure how helpful that would be if you are sitting at a light and just want to view your situation at a larger or smaller scale than ¼ mile.

I would have thought that a finger-gesture on the TouchPad might work, but it didn't for me (pinch to zoom in, spread fingers to zoom out). There might be some way to trigger that function, but haven't found it.

Also I have seen the map automatically zoom while I'm driving, but I couldn't really watch what it was doing to know why it was doing it.

I have a training session scheduled next week at my dealer, so I will list "zooming" as a topic.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Just click touch pad A, then click Explore, you will see +/- sign to zoom in/out
Old 06-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I tried that but mine reverted back to 1/4 mile afterward.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Other than a temporary look via Explore, I haven’t read or discovered how to adjustment scale. The salesman didn’t know either.

I am not happy about this limitation.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:14 PM
10th Gear

Yes, I can zoom in "Explore", but as soon as you go back to the normal map, it defaults back to the 1/4 mile scale. This is unacceptable! Hope someone comes up with an answer.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Can someone try to make a route, start out, and zoom via explore and see if it will stay zoomed in explore while the car is following the route?
Old 06-16-2018, 04:39 PM
Racer

It sticks to my set zoom level if I don’t have a route set. If you have a route set it is auto-zoom. I haven’t checked if you can disable auto-zoom though.
The following users liked this post:
robuckj (06-17-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 04:56 PM
10th Gear

What do you mean by your "set zoom level"?
Old 06-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by guytdt
It sticks to my set zoom level if I don’t have a route set. If you have a route set it is auto-zoom. I haven’t checked if you can disable auto-zoom though.
I read the manual, and there does not seem to be a setting for it. But one never knows until one does a real-world experiment.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the same experience. You can go into explore and change the zoom level but the display will no longer track the car. I can find no other place to set the zoom level. I came from a 2013 RDX where the big dial in the center changed the zoom. On long trips - I like to set the zoom high so I can track the progress between cities. I guess I have to give that up.

Anyone know of a place to register a complaint to where it might be heard?

-Stan
Old 06-17-2018, 01:20 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Yeah, this is a "miss", and I haven't yet found a resolution aside from the silly Explore button. Good thing Acura seems to have anticipated a need for software updates.

While they're at it, maybe they could offer a setting to turn off the silly "swoosh" sound and the oh-so-classy graphics when you change "dynamic mode". I keep expecting Mario to pop out of the screen.

The good news is that these are the worst things I have yet found to complain about...
Old 06-18-2018, 10:16 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is it confirmed that there is no zoom capability while receiving route guidance?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Yeah, this is a "miss", and I haven't yet found a resolution aside from the silly Explore button. Good thing Acura seems to have anticipated a need for software updates.

While they're at it, maybe they could offer a setting to turn off the silly "swoosh" sound and the oh-so-classy graphics when you change "dynamic mode". I keep expecting Mario to pop out of the screen.

The good news is that these are the worst things I have yet found to complain about...
Have you tried voice zoom commands?
Old 06-19-2018, 12:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MHarnois
Have you tried voice zoom commands?
Not yet, but it's an interesting idea. Today I couldn't even get it to accept voice commands until I paired my phone over bluetooth. Older systems had voice recognition baked in. What gives?

Also, it doesn't "auto-zoom", whether or not I have a route set, at least on the rural roads and highways I was on today. It's always at 1/4 mile scale unless I use the "explore" button, and as reported, then it doesn't track the position of the car. Hmmm.

Just as a random thought, I wonder if it behaves differently depending on the "map view". I have mine set to "north up".

Last edited by Wander; 06-19-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wander
Today I couldn't even get it to accept voice commands until I paired my phone over bluetooth. Older systems had voice recognition baked in. What gives?
User error. Prolonged press of "voice command" button on the steering wheel activates smartphone voice command. Momentary press activates in-car voice command.

Still nothing on map zoom. There don't seem to be voice commands for it.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Actually, mine does "auto-zoom" when a route is active. But not very much. Maybe more on an Interstate in Montana?

The default 1/4 mile zoom level seems more suited to 3D mode.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
This is a big flaw in my book. No user selectable zoom? I hope they fix this with a software upgrade.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
I've not had any luck with the zoom either. It's really difficult to see traffic congestion on a route without zoom.

Anyone else notice that the nav is incredibly chatty? I've never had any nav system based on HERE (although I did have Navteq which stopped getting updates several years back), but man it will tell you to turn left three times for the same turn, and mangle the names in the process. It also tries to pronounce everything. Locally, Highway N is always Highway North which seems odd.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:59 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanFun
I've not had any luck with the zoom either. It's really difficult to see traffic congestion on a route without zoom.

Anyone else notice that the nav is incredibly chatty? I've never had any nav system based on HERE (although I did have Navteq which stopped getting updates several years back), but man it will tell you to turn left three times for the same turn, and mangle the names in the process. It also tries to pronounce everything. Locally, Highway N is always Highway North which seems odd.
Yeah, it's definitely a girl cuz she really likes to talk.

Navteq was rebranded as HERE during its period of assimilation by Nokia. Garmin has used HERE/Navteq map data for a long time. My Garmin stand-alone GPS receivers have the same "Highway North" quirk, and many others.

I'm still confused about whether the Nav software in 2019 RDX is from HERE or Garmin or whomever. But the map data is definitely from HERE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
To the poster that wrote he has his Nav screen set to "NORTH UP" is making his life a bit more difficult. The simplest and most straightforward way to interpret a moving map GPS device is to set it "TRACK UP". When using the "TRACK UP" setting, IF the route line turns left then YOU TURN LEFT, if it turns right, then you TURN RIGHT. Example of "North Up" awkwardness:........IF you've set your nav screen to display "NORTH UP' and happen to be driving South and the route line shows a turn to the LEFT you (in reality) need to turn RIGHT!.........in other words in the "TRACK NORTH" mode you must constantly interpret which way to turn by factoring in which direction you're currently going. "TRACK UP" is the best way to go. (I'm a commercial pilot and our GPS screens in the cockpit are always set to TRACK UP since the last thing I want to do when flying in poor weather with limited viability is to begin trying to "interpret".) I strongly suggest the setting of "TRACK UP" rather than "NORTH UP".
The following 3 users liked this post by Rob175:
37tzee (06-21-2018), anser77 (06-20-2018), RangersRule99 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:00 PM
10th Gear

Yes, "track up" is the only way. Update, I just returned from a long trip and messing with the nav. I tried everything and could find no way the change zoom scale. Interesting though, some times, usually on the interstate, it would switch the 3/8 scale (guidance not on). I could fine not reason why it switched. I thought maybe speed, but sometimes it would go from 1/4 to 3/8 when I got up to speed and sometimes not. Sometime it would go back to 1/4 when I came to a stop and sometimes not. I got a call from a CA Acura tech that ask me to call if I had any questions about the tech. I will run it by him tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Track Up. You know back in the day, when we had to to use paper maps, we used to turn the paper map to the direction of travel was up/forward. Then, the next leap in technology, the AAA TripTik and we still turned the map so that Track was up Used this argument with a friend when he first got a TomTom years ago and he set it to North up because he said it was like using a paper map.

This lack of manual zoom seems to be a serious omission. When it is added back, it should be easy to do while driving like pinch zoom. Hmmm, you can move the map by using the touchpad, right?
37tzee (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Drifting

"North up" vs "track up" is like arguing about vanilla vs chocolate ice cream. In the past I have always favored "north up", partly because on winding roads I find the constant rocking motion of the GPS display distracting and sometimes nauseating. I'm guessing commercial jets don't encounter a lot of winding roads. Also, I still carry paper maps, cuz their batteries never go dead and they don't lose satellite signal.

Having said that, the built-in Nav in 2019 RDX is clearly optimized for "track up 3D", so I guess I'll have to adapt. I tend to set the dash display to compass so I have a fix on direction of travel.

I think it chooses map scale based upon the category of road you are traveling and proximity to intersections/exits. Not sure about speed. But in 2D it's usually zoomed in too close IMO.

FWIW "pinch to zoom" works fine in Apple Maps through Car Play. Or the little dedicated zoom buttons in Apple Maps. How difficult can it be?

No reason we can't have more than one GPS app running if a phone is attached, but the Owner's Manual notes that voice guidance can only be active on one GPS app at a time.

( Yes I know that Android users will have to wait. Just as I have to wait for Google maps to come to Car Play. )

Last edited by Wander; 06-20-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
So Wander,

How smooth is the map when using TrackUp like say turning 90deg at an intersection. I use Waze, and the animation is smooth depending on how powerful the host device is.
Thanks
Old 06-21-2018, 05:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
To the poster that wrote he has his Nav screen set to "NORTH UP" is making his life a bit more difficult. The simplest and most straightforward way to interpret a moving map GPS device is to set it "TRACK UP". When using the "TRACK UP" setting, IF the route line turns left then YOU TURN LEFT, if it turns right, then you TURN RIGHT. Example of "North Up" awkwardness:........IF you've set your nav screen to display "NORTH UP' and happen to be driving South and the route line shows a turn to the LEFT you (in reality) need to turn RIGHT!.........in other words in the "TRACK NORTH" mode you must constantly interpret which way to turn by factoring in which direction you're currently going. "TRACK UP" is the best way to go. (I'm a commercial pilot and our GPS screens in the cockpit are always set to TRACK UP since the last thing I want to do when flying in poor weather with limited viability is to begin trying to "interpret".) I strongly suggest the setting of "TRACK UP" rather than "NORTH UP".
I still don;t understand why North Up is the default. I remember getting my 06 TL and did not know it could be changed for month and I was cursing the damn thing. Sure it is personal taste, but how many folks really prefer North Up as Track up is more natural.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:22 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I still don;t understand why North Up is the default.... Sure it is personal taste, but how many folks really prefer North Up as Track up is more natural.
There is a dedicated “button” on the map display to switch between “north-up” and “track-up” headings—too bad there is no on-screen zoom control. I’ve been using Acuras with nav for 13 years now, and I always found the zoom control to be a useful feature.

For local driving, I use “heading-up” so turn direction will be natural, and a ½-mile scale. As needed, I could easily zoom in to ⅛ or even 1/20 scale as I got closer to an unfamiliar destination. Further away, I occasionally liked to zoom out so the display included both my vehicle location and the destination target—that gave me a feel for how close or far away I was, so I would know when I had to “start looking.” Now, it seems, I can no longer adjust the scale to see where I am relative to the target.

On longer trips over, say, a hundred miles, I will not do a lot of turning, and I like “north-up” so I can see my direction of travel geographically; personally I find that more informative. I also like a scale between 5 and 15 miles (sometimes 50), to get a general feeling for where I am in relation to a larger portion of the total route. I haven’t done a road trip yet so I dont know how the new nav display will act after I've entered a 400 mile route, but I expect to have little control of the map display.

I often use Waze on long trips for the crowd-sourced info it gives you about traffic and hazards. Waze, which originally was slanted for local and repetitive driving (daily commutes, for example), defaults to a local scale. It automatically zooms in or out as needed, but not out very far. I could “pinch to zoom” in or out, but it will always zoom itself back in after a few seconds. So I can adapt to that way of doing things. But on a road trip, I will miss the ability to zoom out the display when I wish to, and I can’t imagine why Acura has removed that very helpful feature. Different drivers enjoy different approaches, and zoom/scale should be user-adjustable, IMO.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ednigma
Re: Track Up. You know back in the day, when we had to to use paper maps, we used to turn the paper map to the direction of travel was up/forward. Then, the next leap in technology, the AAA TripTik and we still turned the map so that Track was up Used this argument with a friend when he first got a TomTom years ago and he set it to North up because he said it was like using a paper map.

This lack of manual zoom seems to be a serious omission. When it is added back, it should be easy to do while driving like pinch zoom. Hmmm, you can move the map by using the touchpad, right?
Aah….the TripTik. Old school baby, old school!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Drifting

I am unhappy that the RDX Nav does not have the flexibility of my 10+ year old BMW, or of the current Honda Accord. That Apple CarPlay’s navigation might be better is no consolation to me.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I am unhappy that the RDX Nav does not have the flexibility of my 10+ year old BMW, or of the current Honda Accord. That Apple CarPlay’s navigation might be better is no consolation to me.
Given that this car can update over the air, one would hope features could be added and bugs could be fixed for the infotainment system. I would think Acura knew that a brand new system would have bugs and missing features at launch. However, we are dealing with a car company here.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ednigma
So Wander,

How smooth is the map when using TrackUp like say turning 90deg at an intersection. I use Waze, and the animation is smooth depending on how powerful the host device is.
Thanks
It's pretty smooth. But my comparison is somewhat vintage Garmin stand-alone units, and they aren't so smooth in "track-up" mode.

But I'm not sure why I thought gestures work on Apple Maps in CarPlay. They don't.

But in CarPlay Apple Maps there are soft buttons for zoom and a helpful little display at the top right with a compass direction, when it's in "track-up" mode. Might be things to study for whoever codes the latest Acura Nav. And when I said "how hard can it be?" I meant how hard could it be for them to integrate these simple little features in the Acura Nav, the exclusion of which is bizarre and unacceptable?

I'm just looking for ways to get by until they do the right thing and release an update.

But the good news is I discovered that we should get quarterly map updates, unlike the annual updates for the Garmin based Nav in recent Hondas. And they are free. Progress.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 AM
Advanced

This is just another reason why I won't buy, what is basically this very nice new SUV.....I don't want to become an Acura "beta-tester"....but I'm very grateful to those who are buying and "testing" and finding things that Acura should address in future years. I've decided that (for me) it's better to wait until the 2020 model year is out. Between the nav system issues discussed in this thread and the other threads on issues like the defaulting to Auto Stop Start always "ON", the electronic push button shifter, the non-LED rear turn signals, and the 1,500 max towing capacity I'll wait to see what Acura changes in 2020. For $40M to $50M I want little of no technical/mechanical issues. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Drifting

This is just another reason why I won't buy, what is basically this very nice new SUV.....I don't want to become an Acura "beta-tester"....but I'm very grateful to those who are buying and "testing" and finding things that Acura should address in future years. I've decided that (for me) it's better to wait until the 2020 model year is out. Between the nav system issues discussed in this thread and the other threads on issues like the defaulting to Auto Stop Start always "ON", the electronic push button shifter, the non-LED rear turn signals, and the 1,500 max towing capacity I'll wait to see what Acura changes in 2020. For $40M to $50M I want little of no technical/mechanical issues. Just my 2 cents.
I can't fault the logic of sitting out the "beta-test", but many of the things you specifically cite are unlikely to change. I waited three years for Auto Stop Start to become permanently selectable in my last vehicle. Didn't change, and I doubt Honda/Acura will ever change it. FWIW it's much smoother than it was in 3rd-gen Pilot.

Ditto push-button shifter in this model. Not gonna change. 1500 pound towing? Carved in stone.

Rear turn-signals are a style choice to go with clear lenses; I wouldn't hold my breath on that one either.

No car is the perfect fit for everyone.

But the infotainment system is designed to be capable of updates, and let's hope we don't have to wait too long. There are some bugs in addition to "missing features", and that's not really a surprise.

Last edited by Wander; 06-22-2018 at 09:00 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wander:
catbert430 (06-22-2018), GW208 (06-22-2018), Stew4HD (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
For $40M to $50M you can have a custom designed flying car capable of reaching outer space. But for $40K to $50K we all usually have to settle for some shortcomings.
Stew4HD (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam_68
For $40M to $50M you can have a custom designed flying car capable of reaching outer space. But for $40K to $50K we all usually have to settle for some shortcomings.
Now that is perspective!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam_68
Old 06-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Advanced

LOL.....is Acura offering and extended warranty on the starter and battery? In "big city" stop and go expressway traffic that system could easily be called upon to work a hundred times in one trip and what about in hot rainy weather when the AC, radio, lights, and wipers are all operating .....where's the power coming from if the engine is off.and where's the power coming from to constantly restart the engine? Sounds like a battery wouldn't last very long and same for the starter.............replacement of those two would easily cancel out any fuel savings......just a thought.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:40 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
LOL.....is Acura offering and extended warranty on the starter and battery? In "big city" stop and go expressway traffic that system could easily be called upon to work a hundred times in one trip and what about in hot rainy weather when the AC, radio, lights, and wipers are all operating .....where's the power coming from if the engine is off.and where's the power coming from to constantly restart the engine? Sounds like a battery wouldn't last very long and same for the starter.............replacement of those two would easily cancel out any fuel savings......just a thought.
I believe these concerns are unfounded. Honda has used idle-stop technology since 1999. The system monitors many conditions and will only stop the engine in certain situations. The list of manufacturers using idle-stop is long: Bentley, BMW, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Volvo.... It's not some crazy untested new technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system
Old 06-23-2018, 10:48 AM
10th Gear

The vehicle has an AGM battery for this very reason.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
You've made it clear in multiple comments that you hate a lot of things about this RDX (most of them unfounded I would say) so maybe you need to focus your attention on something else.
The following 2 users liked this post by MHarnois:
catbert430 (06-23-2018), Madd Dog (06-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Navigation Screen