My week with a '22 Loaner (AKA '20 Advance / Platinum Elite vs. '22 Aspec Advance)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
My week with a '22 Loaner (AKA '20 Advance / Platinum Elite vs. '22 Aspec Advance)

I had my RDX in for it's THIRD major repair (...) and Acura was kind enough to loan me a brand new '22 Aspec Advance. I had it for 8 days and about 500 kms of mostly local driving - my daily commute and usual local driving, plus a short road trip out of town to go hiking.

The 2022 undeniably smoother and quieter. It's not even close. It feels like a different vehicle in this regard.

But the demeanor has changed, too. I thought it was my imagination at first, but when I went back to my '20 I confirmed it in my head. The '22 is trying to be closer to a Lexus. It's not only quieter, it's more isolated from the road. Many people will consider this a positive change. It certainly makes it a better place to spend time. But the handling has been dulled, especially at low speeds. I can't chalk it all up to my tires (Conti DWS06 which are a massive improvement over stock) because it happens at very low speeds where traction is not a significant factor).

The same for the throttle response. The new drive modes are lamer. Even in "Sport" it's not as good as the '20 in Sport, and the '20 also has Sport+. I don't use Sport+ that often, but I like to know it's there when I want it (and I do enjoy it quite a bit on the right occasion). The '22 just doesn't have the same sporty driving character. You have to push the throttle so hard to get power to the rear wheels that it becomes impractical in regular driving, and what's left is a feeling that the car is slow. I know it's not - with the pedal floored both cars behave about the same, and reviews say they are equivalent in performance - but no one spends much time using wide open throttle in an RDX, and the '20 is just straight up more responsive.

There were some very nice upgrades in the '22, of course. Wireless CarPlay is a game changer. CarPlay would just show up even though my phone was in my pocket. The wireless charger is nice, too, although it is in a somewhat awkward spot and I'd rather put my stuff there (I find that storage area to be surprisingly useful). I definitely prefer the interior and exterior trim of the Aspec a lot more than the chrome and wood of my car, but of course that's just me. There were also a lot of little things - like an instant fuel economy gauge that isn't smooshed into half of a tiny screen. The cameras were notably better (but still crammed into awkward parts of the screen rather than just taking the whole thing like every other non-Acura). The seatbelt indicator when I started the car was also nice for me (as my kids often complain that I try to drive away before they secure their seatbelt). I would go so far as to say that there are enough small things that have been fixed that it seems like my '20 is still "in beta," as we would say in the software development world.

I was offered an "upgrade" to a '22, to continue my lease for 4 more years at the same price (I posted about this previously, it's not a scam as usual, because of the high price of used cars). I'm glad I didn't take it. The '22 is quieter, has a lot of nice improvements, but for me the '20 is just a better drive.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jordster:
anoop (06-05-2022), supafamous (06-03-2022), Tony Pac (06-15-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 01:38 PM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordster
I had my RDX in for it's THIRD major repair (...) and Acura was kind enough to loan me a brand new '22 Aspec Advance. I had it for 8 days and about 500 kms of mostly local driving - my daily commute and usual local driving, plus a short road trip out of town to go hiking.

The 2022 undeniably smoother and quieter. It's not even close. It feels like a different vehicle in this regard.

But the demeanor has changed, too. I thought it was my imagination at first, but when I went back to my '20 I confirmed it in my head. The '22 is trying to be closer to a Lexus. It's not only quieter, it's more isolated from the road. Many people will consider this a positive change. It certainly makes it a better place to spend time. But the handling has been dulled, especially at low speeds. I can't chalk it all up to my tires (Conti DWS06 which are a massive improvement over stock) because it happens at very low speeds where traction is not a significant factor).

The same for the throttle response. The new drive modes are lamer. Even in "Sport" it's not as good as the '20 in Sport, and the '20 also has Sport+. I don't use Sport+ that often, but I like to know it's there when I want it (and I do enjoy it quite a bit on the right occasion). The '22 just doesn't have the same sporty driving character. You have to push the throttle so hard to get power to the rear wheels that it becomes impractical in regular driving, and what's left is a feeling that the car is slow. I know it's not - with the pedal floored both cars behave about the same, and reviews say they are equivalent in performance - but no one spends much time using wide open throttle in an RDX, and the '20 is just straight up more responsive.

There were some very nice upgrades in the '22, of course. Wireless CarPlay is a game changer. CarPlay would just show up even though my phone was in my pocket. The wireless charger is nice, too, although it is in a somewhat awkward spot and I'd rather put my stuff there (I find that storage area to be surprisingly useful). I definitely prefer the interior and exterior trim of the Aspec a lot more than the chrome and wood of my car, but of course that's just me. There were also a lot of little things - like an instant fuel economy gauge that isn't smooshed into half of a tiny screen. The cameras were notably better (but still crammed into awkward parts of the screen rather than just taking the whole thing like every other non-Acura). The seatbelt indicator when I started the car was also nice for me (as my kids often complain that I try to drive away before they secure their seatbelt). I would go so far as to say that there are enough small things that have been fixed that it seems like my '20 is still "in beta," as we would say in the software development world.

I was offered an "upgrade" to a '22, to continue my lease for 4 more years at the same price (I posted about this previously, it's not a scam as usual, because of the high price of used cars). I'm glad I didn't take it. The '22 is quieter, has a lot of nice improvements, but for me the '20 is just a better drive.
I hate to disagree with your great observations and I know what you are saying regarding sport mode. In my 22 ASPEC/Advance I can discern no difference in low speed power once you press the transmission in to sequential mode. Just like my 19 ASPEC - loads of fun plus all the other goodies on my 22 that was lacking on my departed 19 ASPEC.
The following users liked this post:
rbbcpa (06-04-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
I hate to disagree with your great observations and I know what you are saying regarding sport mode. In my 22 ASPEC/Advance I can discern no difference in low speed power once you press the transmission in to sequential mode. Just like my 19 ASPEC - loads of fun plus all the other goodies on my 22 that was lacking on my departed 19 ASPEC.
I have a feeling that some of the differences op mentioned are due to the tires. I recently replaced the factory RS-A with Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS+, and observed similar improvements as mentioned including better acceleration response.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by sonyfever
I have a feeling that some of the differences op mentioned are due to the tires. I recently replaced the factory RS-A with Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS+, and observed similar improvements as mentioned including better acceleration response.
Tires have zero to do with throttle response, Handling, yes tires help some.
rbbcpa (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 10:54 AM
Instructor

To be honest, if you're talking about pressing the D/S button (Sport transmission mode? I think the AT is always sequential) I didn't press that once during my week in the car, so maybe that was the secret sauce I was missing.

I was more focused on the way the car responds when driven normally, even when in Comfort mode. Comfort mode vs Comfort mode, the '22 is definitely dulled a lot. That's not entirely a bad thing, and probably considered a feature for people looking for a smoother, quieter and more relaxing experience. For me, though, it made the car seem a bit placid. Like I said before, I definitely enjoy Sport/Sport+ when the opportunity is there, but my car sits in Comfort most of the time (I know I could leave it to default into Sport, and sometimes I do, but after a week of that I find myself driving like more an as a-hole so I always put it back.. lol)
Old 06-04-2022, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Tires have zero to do with throttle response, Handling, yes tires help some.
I can think of a few reasons for the better acceleration response (I am not using throttle response, because to me throttle response is the response of the engine, the acceleration response is from for example lower rotation weight or smaller diameter tires). Modern tires have lower rolling resistance. And perhaps the profile of the Scorpion Zero yields a smaller sidewall on the 20x8 wheel than RS-A. But take whatever you want to believe, while I enjoy the lighter-footed feel of Scorpion Zero.

Last edited by sonyfever; 06-04-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:06 PM
Pro

To be honest, if you're talking about pressing the D/S button (Sport transmission mode? I think the AT is always sequential) I didn't press that once during my week in the car, so maybe that was the secret sauce I was missing.

I was more focused on the way the car responds when driven normally, even when in Comfort mode. Comfort mode vs Comfort mode, the '22 is definitely dulled a lot. That's not entirely a bad thing, and probably considered a feature for people looking for a smoother, quieter and more relaxing experience. For me, though, it made the car seem a bit placid. Like I said before, I definitely enjoy Sport/Sport+ when the opportunity is there, but my car sits in Comfort most of the time (I know I could leave it to default into Sport, and sometimes I do, but after a week of that I find myself driving like more an as a-hole so I always put it back.. lol)
‘That’s why I always drive mine in Sport/+ sequential shift 100% all the time. Even on the interstates. No, I don’t care about the shitty gas mileage. When my RSA’S get to 50% I’ll buy new tires.
oblio98 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
I am one of those that would probably appreciate the more luxurious feel. I am also the type that prefers the lighter beige and wood interior in the advance over the black/red sporty look in the A-spec.
The following 3 users liked this post by anoop:
Acurafangrl (06-08-2022), JB in AZ (06-12-2022), larrygeller (06-05-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
I've found that normal mode on the '22 is pretty much the sweet spot of this vehicle and I rarely ever put it into any other mode. I did not notice any significant downgrade in throttle response when we swapped our '21 for the '22. But maybe my expectations just aren't the same as some for this vehicle.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:55 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
I felt a huge improvement going from my 19 Aspec to my 22 ASpec Advance, but unlike you, I did not have the opportunity to go back to my older car, which is pretty cool with regard to comparing them. I've had my 22 since the end of December and I don't think I would ever go back. Too many improvements, even the subtle ones, are very nice. I usually leave the car in the default normal mode, so I'm not super sensitive to the changes when going to sport, other than it seemed to me when I've tried sport mode that the car really perks up.

Anyway, thanks for that write up. It's pretty rare to be able to live with a different version of the same car you own for a week, and then go back to your original. Very cool
The following 4 users liked this post by oblio98:
GW208 (06-07-2022), JB in AZ (06-12-2022), Jordster (06-08-2022), tecwerks (06-07-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 12:10 PM
Instructor

I realized today that there was another nice feature added that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. The mirrors seem to now be tied to the seat memory, so your mirrors go to your saved spot as well as your seat. This is very useful for me as my wife and I both drive the car. My '15 X3 had this, but my 2020 RDX does not. The 2022 had it...

And as a funny (but not so funny) story I almost crashed because of it. I had set my mirrors the first time I drove the car, but didn't bother checking them the second time I drove it. I didn't realize they were pointed WAY too high until I tried to make a lane change and heard someone's tires screech - realized there was a car right beside me. I apologized profusely and I was VERY confused because I always look before I change lanes, and I only realized later what happened.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:14 PM
Pro

I realized today that there was another nice feature added that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. The mirrors seem to now be tied to the seat memory, so your mirrors go to your saved spot as well as your seat. This is very useful for me as my wife and I both drive the car. My '15 X3 had this, but my 2020 RDX does not. The 2022 had it...

And as a funny (but not so funny) story I almost crashed because of it. I had set my mirrors the first time I drove the car, but didn't bother checking them the second time I drove it. I didn't realize they were pointed WAY too high until I tried to make a lane change and heard someone's tires screech - realized there was a car right beside me. I apologized profusely and I was VERY confused because I always look before I change lanes, and I only realized later what happened.
‘The blind spot monitor should have given you a audible and visual warning that someone was next to you,
Old 06-08-2022, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
How many miles on your car? How many miles on the new tires? Just remember, a newer car will always be nicer. Newer seals, newer tires, newer insulation, etc etc. I'm sure Acura did some extra things to make it quieter/more isolated, but it's also due to the fact that it's simply a newer car. It's always nice putting a new set of tires on and enjoying how much quieter it makes the ride until they wear down again.

As for the difference in driving. ECUs "learn" how you drive over time and adjust different parameters (I'm not an expert on this, but this is the jist of it from what I'm told). Being a loaner, it was probably putted around by random people who drive Acuras the way I see most Acura owners driving around in the wild ... under the speed limit and incompetently.

Also, my US Spec 2020 A-Spec holds/changes the mirrors to the selected preset. Did I get an anomaly?
Old 06-09-2022, 09:19 AM
Instructor

‘The blind spot monitor should have given you a audible and visual warning that someone was next to you,
He was too far back, behind the blindspot sensor area, right where his back end should have been visible in my mirrors, and I'm pretty sure he was trying to zip around me at the time because otherwise I would have seen him prior to trying to change lanes. I've had a lot of time to think about it ... I've never done that before in 20+ years of driving so it didn't sit well.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
How many miles on your car? How many miles on the new tires? Just remember, a newer car will always be nicer. Newer seals, newer tires, newer insulation, etc etc. I'm sure Acura did some extra things to make it quieter/more isolated, but it's also due to the fact that it's simply a newer car. It's always nice putting a new set of tires on and enjoying how much quieter it makes the ride until they wear down again.

As for the difference in driving. ECUs "learn" how you drive over time and adjust different parameters (I'm not an expert on this, but this is the jist of it from what I'm told). Being a loaner, it was probably putted around by random people who drive Acuras the way I see most Acura owners driving around in the wild ... under the speed limit and incompetently.

Also, my US Spec 2020 A-Spec holds/changes the mirrors to the selected preset. Did I get an anomaly?
Not sure about the mirrors ... I'm 99% sure my car doesn't do this. Now I guess i have to go test it.

The tires on my current car are pretty new with lots of tread left. I can't say *exactly* how much quieter the new car was, but it was not a subtle difference.

And if the ECU really does "learn" (I have also heard this idea about cars I've bought in the last 15 years but never seen much evidence or been able to measure their effect) the new car only had 1400kms on it when I got it so it's unlikely it learned all that much. And FWIW the average fuel economy since new (it had never been reset) was about 15L/100km (about 15 mpg) so I doubt it was driven by your average elderly RDX driver.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:15 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
The mirrors are tied to the seat memory on my '21 Advance, also.