Led rear blinker recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Led rear blinker recommendations?

I would like to swap out the rear blinkers with led lights. Has anyone had any luck after using them for a while and not having hyperflash? Link to product? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2019, 04:11 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Anthonyc1,

iJDMTOY (2) No Resistor, No Hyper Flash 21W High Power Amber 7507 PY21W LED Bulbs For Car Front or Rear Turn Signal Lights

Old 06-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I don’t get why someone would go and mess with this.

The downside is you can fcuk things up, and the upside is that 97.6% of people behind you won’t notice, but you will know that you did it.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (06-17-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

The downside is you can fcuk things up, and the upside is that 97.6% of people behind you won’t notice, but you will know that you did it.
If you use the iJDMTOY (2) No Resistor, No Hyper Flash 21W High Power Amber 7507 PY21W LED Bulbs For Car Front or Rear Turn Signal Lights, this is a simple plug-and-play mod. There are no load resistors to mount and no hyperflashing. For the DIY'er, there is little chance of f*cking this up. People following too close will definitely notice these LED turn signal bulbs. This reminds me of the fine print on the eye exam chart, "If you can read this, you are too close."

Last edited by EXCALIBUR1; 06-15-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
You're using a high power LED turn signal to blind someone who is already following too close to you? That seems to not be the wisest move, but OK.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
If you use the iJDMTOY (2) No Resistor, No Hyper Flash 21W High Power Amber 7507 PY21W LED Bulbs For Car Front or Rear Turn Signal Lights, this is a simple plug-and-play mod. There are no load resistors to mount and no hyperflashing. For the DIY'er, there is little chance of f*cking this up. People following too close will definitely notice these LED turn signal bulbs. This reminds me of the fine print on the eye exam chart, "If you can read this, you are too close."

Excuse me. I have to go and yell at some kids and tell them to get off my lawn.

Other than that, the words you use, like hyper flashing, probably don’t mean what I think they mean.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DriverOne
You're using a high power LED turn signal to blind someone who is already following too close to you? That seems to not be the wisest move, but OK.
Us responsible drivers would never "intentionally" use an LED turn signal bulb to blind a driver tailgating at our six, but "Hey! Let's be careful out there."

Old 06-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Racer

Excuse me. I have to go and yell at some kids and tell them to get off my lawn.

Other than that, the words you use, like hyper flashing, probably don’t mean what I think they mean.
Walt Kowlski had the same problem in his neighborhood. He didn't hyperflash, he talked with his M1 Garand. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:20 PM
Banned

Us responsible drivers would never "intentionally" use an LED turn signal bulb to blind a driver tailgating at our six
I mean, that's fine but I never understand the mentality of people who think that people who tailgate are going to realize that they're doing something wrong and change their driving habits. I'm sure the mods don't want this to devolve into a back-and-forth about "how to drive," but people who tailgate are going to tailgate. They tailgate because they think that's how to motivate people to speed up. Now you're blinding them because you think that's how to motivate people to slow down. When those two things collide, it causes an accident. Now, the tailgater will be at fault because they're behind, but as the saying goes, "what did that get you?" Like, at the end of the day, you have a damaged car. Don't get me wrong, I used to be 100% like you and would purposely try to force people to "drive better." I still do. Like if a tailgater is following me, I just take my foot off the gas pedal. But some people say "slam on the brakes hard and scare them." OK ...now that they hit you, what's next?
Old 06-15-2019, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I have to go and yell at some kids and tell them to get off my lawn.
You mean bark at them, like this:

Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Don’t get me started on squirrels, the little bastids.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Banned

Someone felt the need to film that for 1:10? It's like they have no life at all.
Funz51 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts

I was sitting at a stoplight early this morning, it was raining out, the person in front of me had very bright turn signals causing me to have to look to the side because it was fricken blinding.

I was reminded then about the arguments I have had on this forum about changing to LED bulbs because they are brighter. How did I ever not rear end people back in the 70's with the cars only having those low tech incandescent bulbs?? I think I was just lucky, maybe?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I was sitting at a stoplight early this morning, it was raining out, the person in front of me had very bright turn signals causing me to have to look to the side because it was fricken blinding.

I was reminded then about the arguments I have had on this forum about changing to LED bulbs because they are brighter. How did I ever not rear end people back in the 70's with the cars only having those low tech incandescent bulbs?? I think I was just lucky, maybe?
When LED headlights (not tail lights) came out, I remember how obnoxious they were and everyone kept on getting brighter and brighter ones where it was blinding. And then if you did a courtesy flash because you thought they had on high beams they would get all angry and turn on their actual high beams and it would blot out your entire vision. I actually don't see that as much any more, possibly because I moved to a less populated area, but I'm optimistic that auto manufacturers have also figured out how to direct the lights better. I've never seen it where an incandescent turn signal was not visible and it needed an LED.
The following 2 users liked this post by DriverOne:
Rdxguy20 (04-30-2020), Stew4HD (06-17-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 06:00 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
So on amazon someone wrote that the bulbs go into hyper flash after 8mins if you leave your hazards on? Can you confirm if this true?
Old 06-21-2019, 06:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by pdpgps
So on amazon someone wrote that the bulbs go into hyper flash after 8mins if you leave your hazards on? Can you confirm if this true?
No, I cannot confirm if this is true. I can confirm these LED turn signal bulbs work well in everyday use. To the best of my recollection, no drivers following my RDX were "intentionally" blinded by the use of these LED turn signal bulbs. YMMV and Good luck.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
I’ve tried these and a couple of different LED turn signals, they were both about 20x too bright, and after a minute of blinking were so hot I couldn’t touch them, so both sets got returned. Not worth the headaches.

I believe these are 21w rated and the stocks are like 7w, someone correct me if I am wrong, but that right there is a big red flag.

Im sure this won’t stop people from trying them, but fair warning.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,408 Posts
If you do go with the LED bulbs, don't forget the LED grade blinker fluid to go along with them.
catbert430 (06-22-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have installed my bulbs and left them on flasher for over 10 min. no hyper flash, now they did get hot, But when I get around to adding the blinker fluid it should help cool them off. What you think horseshoez will that work.
Padre Dave (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
How does the front corner of the taillight assembly attach to the fender? I am trying not to break it while changing to my blinding LED turn signals.....
Old 06-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
How does the front corner of the taillight assembly attach to the fender? I am trying not to break it while changing to my blinding LED turn signals.....
Replacing the OEM bulb is simple:

1) Open the tail gate.
2) On the frame of the tailgate, you will see a black plastic panel next to the taillight assembly. Remove this panel. I use a plastic upholstery tool or you can use a screwdriver with tape on the tip.
3) Gently remove the taillight assembly. It is held in place with pins and grommets.
4) Twist the turn signal bulb wiring.
5) Remove the OEM turn signal bulb and install the new LED turn signal bulb.
6) Reverse the disassembly process.
7) Repeat the process on the other turn signal bulb.
8) Test your new LED turn signal bulbs to make sure they are working properly.
9) Enjoy!

The LED turn signal bulbs are bright, but not blindingly bright as the haters claim. Good luck, and don't forget to post photos on the thread.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:20 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
Replacing the OEM bulb is simple:

1) Open the tail gate.
2) On the frame of the tailgate, you will see a black plastic panel next to the taillight assembly. Remove this panel. I use a plastic upholstery tool or you can use a screwdriver with tape on the tip.
3) Gently remove the taillight assembly. It is held in place with pins and grommets.
4) Twist the turn signal bulb wiring.
5) Remove the OEM turn signal bulb and install the new LED turn signal bulb.
6) Reverse the disassembly process.
7) Repeat the process on the other turn signal bulb.
8) Test your new LED turn signal bulbs to make sure they are working properly.
9) Enjoy!

The LED turn signal bulbs are bright, but not blindingly bright as the haters claim. Good luck, and don't forget to post photos on the thread.
Thanks so much. If I am reading you correctly, the pointed end that points anteriorly has a passive removal process....that is, the pins and grommets you refer to snap off and on? When I get to this tomorrow, I will take pics to help the rest of y’all. Thanks again! This is a great forum, especially after dealing with the Mazdaspeed forums for the past 3 years.....yikes!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
Thanks so much. If I am reading you correctly, the pointed end that points anteriorly has a passive removal process....that is, the pins and grommets you refer to snap off and on? When I get to this tomorrow, I will take pics to help the rest of y’all. Thanks again! This is a great forum, especially after dealing with the Mazdaspeed forums for the past 3 years.....yikes!
Once you've pried open the black panel and removed the two screws, you will have access to the taillights assembly. It is held on to the sheet metal body of the car by pins and grommets. Just be careful and gently remove the taillight assembly. Follow the rest of the procedure and you should be good to go. Yes, please post photos to share with the rest of us DIY forum members. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
I just ordered these, how hot do they get? To the point they may melt something, can you still hold them? I mean the stock are 7 watts, which is like ~0.75 amps each, ~1.5 total. These LED ones are 21 watts which would be ~2 amps each or 4 amps total

I do worry about the load it could put on the unit that handles the lighting, nowadays they don’t just use relays it’s all computer controlled through some module, I wish I could find some lower power LED turn signal lights
Old 06-29-2019, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tobey457
I’ve tried these and a couple of different LED turn signals, they were both about 20x too bright, and after a minute of blinking were so hot I couldn’t touch them, so both sets got returned. Not worth the headaches.

I believe these are 21w rated and the stocks are like 7w, someone correct me if I am wrong, but that right there is a big red flag.

Im sure this won’t stop people from trying them, but fair warning.
Not sure where you came up with 7watts, when I look up the stock bulb type they are 21w bulbs

Last edited by Dereileak; 06-29-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dereileak
I just ordered these, how hot do they get? To the point they may melt something, can you still hold them? I mean the stock are 7 watts, which is like ~0.75 amps each, ~1.5 total. These LED ones are 21 watts which would be ~2 amps each or 4 amps total

I do worry about the load it could put on the unit that handles the lighting, nowadays they don’t just use relays it’s all computer controlled through some module, I wish I could find some lower power LED turn signal lights
When used in real life traffic conditions, I have the LED turn signal bulbs blinking 10-15 seconds, 30 seconds tops. That's hardly enough time for them to heat up and melt anything. I've never had the hazard lights on for 8 minutes to test the hyperflash claim of one amazon.com customer. YMMV. The LED turn signal bulbs I used in this thread are PNP. You don't need to install load resistors. They are bright, but 20X's brighter? I don't think so. Enjoy.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

When used in real life traffic conditions, I have the LED turn signal bulbs blinking 10-15 seconds, 30 seconds tops. That's hardly enough time for them to heat up and melt anything. I've never had the hazard lights on for 8 minutes to test the hyperflash claim of one amazon.com customer. YMMV. The LED turn signal bulbs I used in this thread are PNP. You don't need to install load resistors. They are bright, but 20X's brighter? I don't think so. Enjoy.
My guess is that, I know LEDs are way more efficient then halogen, if they are using the same amount of power, 21 watts, the LEDs are brighter, and halogen waste a lot of energy as heat, then I would conclude that the halogen put out more heat then the LEDs. I know some halogen can get so hot that if you touch them you will get burned, so I don’t think ill worry about it, LEDs can’t get too hot or they will burn out, so it’s probably safe to say nothing to worry about
Old 06-29-2019, 05:15 PM
Racer

My guess is that, I know LEDs are way more efficient then halogen, if they are using the same amount of power, 21 watts, the LEDs are brighter, and halogen waste a lot of energy as heat, then I would conclude that the halogen put out more heat then the LEDs. I know some halogen can get so hot that if you touch them you will get burned, so I don’t think ill worry about it, LEDs can’t get too hot or they will burn out, so it’s probably safe to say nothing to worry about
That makes sense.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:31 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
I have the LASFIT in my RDX and I installed the load resistors using Posi Taps(really easy). No problems since then. No melting of anything. Before the load resistors they would hyper flash around the 10 min mark but only the passenger side would do so. No complaints from anyone following me thru a turn either. Since their are no LED’s on the end of the bulb it tolerable but it gets drivers attention when in use.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
I have the LASFIT in my RDX and I installed the load resistors using Posi Taps(really easy). No problems since then. No melting of anything. Before the load resistors they would hyper flash around the 10 min mark but only the passenger side would do so. No complaints from anyone following me thru a turn either. Since their are no LED’s on the end of the bulb it tolerable but it gets drivers attention when in use.
Where you install load resistors?
Old 07-06-2019, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow install is a breeze, pop off plastic cover when hatch is open by lights, 2 Phillips or a 8mm socket to get the 2 screws out, pull the light out sideways, replace bulb and screw back in. Very big difference in brightness!!
They honestly kinda leave flashes in my eyes after looking right at them, they almost feel too bright, but at least people will see my blinker now for sure!!!

Also I ran the hazards for about 12-15 minutes and never got hyper flashing!

Normal turn signal bulbs

New LED turn signal left side
(You can really see the reaction/turn on time for the LED is instance, where the halogen bulb has a slight delay for it to get lit up from power flowing through it)

Both LED turn signals

Last edited by Dereileak; 07-06-2019 at 03:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dereileak:
bluntman72 (07-06-2019), EXCALIBUR1 (07-07-2019), jc411 (02-17-2020)
Old 07-06-2019, 03:37 PM
Latent car nut

I sure hope I don't end up driving behind you when you have your blinkers on.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I sure hope I don't end up driving behind you when you have your blinkers on.
I honestly may have to find a solution to tone it down a bit, looking at it in the day hurt my eyes lol I hate to take one apart and mess it up but I think they do need to be toned down a bit brightness wise, maybe tinting the light housing, not sure yet
Old 07-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Those are definitely brighter but I'm not sure it is intense enough to cause problems. I guess I'd have to be there. You were recording in a relatively dark background. It would be interesting to compare them outdoors in bright sunlight also.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
Those are definitely brighter but I'm not sure it is intense enough to cause problems. I guess I'd have to be there. You were recording in a relatively dark background. It would be interesting to compare them outdoors in bright sunlight also.
Was out tonight while it was dark and I was sitting at a stop light, watching the person in my rear view mirror they didn’t seem to be bothered, I’m not gonna worry about it I think, they looks absolutely great in person! A nice upgrade and worth the $30 for sure. People will have no excuse for not seeing my turn signals now I can say that
EXCALIBUR1 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Latent car nut

Was out tonight while it was dark and I was sitting at a stop light, watching the person in my rear view mirror they didn’t seem to be bothered, I’m not gonna worry about it I think, they looks absolutely great in person! A nice upgrade and worth the $30 for sure. People will have no excuse for not seeing my turn signals now I can say that
Except they can be exceedingly glaring, especially at night, especially for folks with good night vision.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Except they can be exceedingly glaring, especially at night, especially for folks with good night vision.
I hope cops pull them over for this. This is equivalent to drivers leaving high beams on in the opposite direction. Super obnoxious.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
WTF, this is a stupid thread and a dumb idea. Why even care or bother to replace rear turn signal bulbs to LED ones? First off they are way brighter than stock as numerous members have pointed out and more importantly, what's the point? Perhaps the idea is to save energy....:-)
Old 07-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I hope cops pull them over for this. This is equivalent to drivers leaving high beams on in the opposite direction. Super obnoxious.
Thanks. Says the guy who installs HIDs in a housing made for halogens and uses radar detectors to avoid the cops for speeding 😂

Last edited by Dereileak; 07-07-2019 at 12:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dereileak:
Burger Steak & Eggs (07-07-2019), Rdxguy20 (04-30-2020)
Old 07-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
WTF, this is a stupid thread and a dumb idea. Why even care or bother to replace rear turn signal bulbs to LED ones? First off they are way brighter than stock as numerous members have pointed out and more importantly, what's the point? Perhaps the idea is to save energy....:-)
Except that you're not using the bulb all the time so you're not really saving much. They're on only for a couple seconds on the highway and maybe at most a minute at a traffic light.

Quick Reply: Led rear blinker recommendations?