Leather Durability/Buying Outright.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 09:31 AM
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 108 Posts
Leather Durability/Buying Outright.

Hello,

So, while at Acura yesterday, I had a salesman ask me if I would be interested in moving out of my 21' RDX Aspec lease and into a 22' Aspec/Advance. Although tempting, I am completely content with my current RDX. Is this how desperate they are for used cars right now? I wasn't even aware of the fact that you could get out of a lease this early (10 months into 36 months)? I'm assuming they would pay off the current lease and then move me into a new one?

I could be crazy, but I plan on buying this Aspec outright after my lease is up. I will then either trade it in, or sell it to Carmax. Do most people usually end up doing this, or do most turn in and walk away?

Also, for those of you with some higher mileage on your RDX's, how well is your leather interior holding up? While at Acura yesterday, I was looking at one of their used 2019 RDX's with 43k miles on it. The drivers seat was absolutely beat-up. Is this normal for the type of leather (or lack of) seating in the RDX?
Old 02-08-2022, 10:20 AM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
I traded in my Lexus lease with 5 months remaining. In my state you have to pay sales tax when you buyout your lease so it made more sense to just trade it in vs me buying and then selling.

And yes dealers really need used cars. They gave me a crazy trade in value for my Lexus.

This year is an exception since leased cars are worth a lot more than their residual/buyout. In my case the dealer gave me $11k more than the buyout cost.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:09 AM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the current situation might not last until your lease is up and things might return to more or less normal so their offer might not be there at that time.

It is crazy. My 94 yr old mother finally(!) decided she shouldn't be driving any more so I bought her 2014 Accord LX with 50k miles from her. Carmax's online offer was about $15k...she paid a little less than $20K when she bought it new. Most of the other car pricing places showed a similar amount. She wouldn't take that much for it (whew!) so we settled ona more reasonable price. I offered to take it to Carmax for her but she wanted me to have it. I'll probably keep it a couple years and see what the market is then.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:12 AM
Pro

Unless you need that Accord I’d sell it right now. Used car prices are going to plummet at some point. No way these crazy values will last forever.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
Unless you need that Accord I’d sell it right now. Used car prices are going to plummet at some point. No way these crazy values will last forever.
Not soon enough, especially with this roller coaster ride we're all on ... up then down ... rinse and repeat. I remember reading that chip shortage should alleviate by the beginning of 2022 with things getting back to normal late in the year, early 2023. Now they're saying chip shortage won't be remedied until late '22 and the market actually adjusting well into 2023. I easily foresee that being pushed back as well. Not to mention, dealers are making record profits, so they're not exactly rushing to get back to the old model of selling cars.
The following users liked this post:
hans471 (02-09-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 12:07 PM
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 108 Posts
I traded in my Lexus lease with 5 months remaining. In my state you have to pay sales tax when you buyout your lease so it made more sense to just trade it in vs me buying and then selling.

And yes dealers really need used cars. They gave me a crazy trade in value for my Lexus.

This year is an exception since leased cars are worth a lot more than their residual/buyout. In my case the dealer gave me $11k more than the buyout cost.
How do you trade-in a lease early? Will I be able to do that with my current lease? I'm not sure if I would go Acura again, so I'm not sure if that would put a limitation on what I can do with my lease.

Also, I have a feeling that I will end up exceeding my mileage allotment, based on how much we have been driving the vehicle. It has been more than we had anticipated with the wife switching jobs. So, in that case, I'm thinking it might make more sense to just buyout at the end of the lease?

Old 02-08-2022, 03:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by swttsx007
How do you trade-in a lease early? Will I be able to do that with my current lease? I'm not sure if I would go Acura again, so I'm not sure if that would put a limitation on what I can do with my lease.

Also, I have a feeling that I will end up exceeding my mileage allotment, based on how much we have been driving the vehicle. It has been more than we had anticipated with the wife switching jobs. So, in that case, I'm thinking it might make more sense to just buyout at the end of the lease?

Acura won’t allow 3rd party buyouts so you’d have to get another Acura if you wanted out early.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:30 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Hello,

So, while at Acura yesterday, I had a salesman ask me if I would be interested in moving out of my 21' RDX Aspec lease and into a 22' Aspec/Advance. Although tempting, I am completely content with my current RDX. Is this how desperate they are for used cars right now? I wasn't even aware of the fact that you could get out of a lease this early (10 months into 36 months)? I'm assuming they would pay off the current lease and then move me into a new one?

I could be crazy, but I plan on buying this Aspec outright after my lease is up. I will then either trade it in, or sell it to Carmax. Do most people usually end up doing this, or do most turn in and walk away?

Also, for those of you with some higher mileage on your RDX's, how well is your leather interior holding up? While at Acura yesterday, I was looking at one of their used 2019 RDX's with 43k miles on it. The drivers seat was absolutely beat-up. Is this normal for the type of leather (or lack of) seating in the RDX?
Wouldn't that depend a lot on how the owner takes care of their cars? Some people are really rough on them...inside and out....and others treat them very well....leather cleaning/conditioner....and being more careful how you
drag...or not...your body in to the seat each and every time. I'm mindful of my leather seat cars and do my best not to drag all my weight against the side bolster when entering and exiting. On many Corvettes that was always
an "issue" with the bolster being trashed before the rest of the seat. YES, they are harder to get in and out of...but, the "careful owners" get in differently....and don't rip up the side bolster. How? Easy...turn to your left, buttocal area
goes in first, then swing your legs in one at a time. Ta Da..no dragging across those bolsters. YES...there are vids of this on how to do it right so you don't ruin that leather bolster!!
With my Mustang...I just take my time and being careful how I deposit my old bod in those nice red leather seats! LOL!
Old 02-08-2022, 08:08 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Agreed big time!

Hmmm. Since I just bought another TL, I wonder how much my 2006 Accord would pull in mint condition, come to think of it.