Kia Sorento

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kia Sorento

I'm looking to replace my '09 MDX with something a bit smaller. RDX is probably my top choice right now but I'm also liking the new Sorento (and also the Passport if I decide to get something about the size of my MDX). It's a little bigger than the RDX but there are a lot of similarities. There are obviously plusses and minuses for both. I'm considering the RDX Advance vs the Sorento SX Prestige X-Line. I've driven the RDX a few times but I've not the Sorento, yet. I searched the forum but didn't see any old posts about the Sorento. Has anyone cross-shopped these 2? Thoughts?

Also, I see a lot of comments on here about Kia/Hyundai dealerships being really bad. I have no experience with them, what's that all about? Is it more of a hit or miss thing depending on the dealership or are there systemic issues?
Old 05-15-2022, 11:45 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Max_NJ
I'm looking to replace my '09 MDX with something a bit smaller. RDX is probably my top choice right now but I'm also liking the new Sorento (and also the Passport if I decide to get something about the size of my MDX). It's a little bigger than the RDX but there are a lot of similarities. There are obviously plusses and minuses for both. I'm considering the RDX Advance vs the Sorento SX Prestige X-Line. I've driven the RDX a few times but I've not the Sorento, yet. I searched the forum but didn't see any old posts about the Sorento. Has anyone cross-shopped these 2? Thoughts?

Also, I see a lot of comments on here about Kia/Hyundai dealerships being really bad. I have no experience with them, what's that all about? Is it more of a hit or miss thing depending on the dealership or are there systemic issues?
Several questions.
What are your priorities? Are you okay with spending >$60 per fill up of gasoline? How much are you driving per year? Now is the time to think more about hybrids or PHEVs rather than ICE vehicles. Have you looked into the Toyota Highlander Hybrid? If you can get over the RDX's abysmal MPG numbers, as cited by multiple members and reviewers, then RDX is a great vehicle. However, it's also a 4 year old model (RDX third gen released in 2018.) You can also consider the Genesis GV70/80 as well if you want performance.

Kia/Hyundai has really stepped up in terms of quality recently. Have you also considered a Mazda CX-90 (due for a redesign next year?) Or even a Mazda CX-70 (due for release end of this year, comes with different powertrain options with a PHEV option available with Federal Tax Credit) which is bigger than the RDX and smaller than the MDX? You can see what the preview of it looks like based on the CX-60 Mazda released to European markets. It's actually an ideal vehicle for me, and I would say buying an ICE vehicle at this current market is not a great idea given the shift more towards PHEV and EV over ICE if you care about trading it in or resale value.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 05-15-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Several questions.
What are your priorities? Are you okay with spending >$60 per fill up of gasoline? How much are you driving per year? Now is the time to think more about hybrids or PHEVs rather than ICE vehicles. Have you looked into the Toyota Highlander Hybrid? If you can get over the RDX's abysmal MPG numbers, as cited by multiple members and reviewers, then RDX is a great vehicle. However, it's also a 4 year old model (RDX third gen released in 2018.) You can also consider the Genesis GV70/80 as well if you want performance.

Kia/Hyundai has really stepped up in terms of quality recently. Have you also considered a Mazda CX-90 (due for a redesign next year?) Or even a Mazda CX-70 (due for release end of this year, comes with different powertrain options with a PHEV option available with Federal Tax Credit) which is bigger than the RDX and smaller than the MDX? You can see what the preview of it looks like based on the CX-60 Mazda released to European markets. It's actually an ideal vehicle for me, and I would say buying an ICE vehicle at this current market is not a great idea given the shift more towards PHEV and EV over ICE if you care about trading it in or resale value.
Unfortunately, I can't really wait for too long, the MDX needs some work done to it that won't allow me to wait longer than a few months which is about how long it'll probably take to get a car if I need to order one. I love the MDX and it's been awesome for 13 years but, it's time. I don't drive much, about 5,000 miles/yr, so I'm not real worried about gas mileage. Anything would be an improvement over the MDX and having the option of using regular gas is a big too.

The highlander is bigger than what I want and the RAV4 is too small. I'm looking in that middle area and there aren't a ton of options. I'm looking for a mix of performance and comfort, I won't be driving it like a mad man but having that option is good thing. The one big drawback for me with the RDX is the height. And by height I mean distance from my eyeballs to the pavement. I like being up a bit (got used to it from diving 2 MDXs over the last 20+ years) which is why I'm considering the Sorento. Really just looking for someone that's driven both cars to get their impressions. I'll be driving both and the Passport soon.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I almost bought one last year. Wasn't a fan of the dual clutch transmission in stop and go traffic. It was very juddery. Didn't like the headlights at night either. With that said, it had a lot of plusses and checked a lot of boxes. You should definitely drive one and see if its for you.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just might end with a kia Sorrento, due to Acura no inventory.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Have u test drove a Subaru Ascent? Maybe a bit too big!! I loved my Outback prior to my Volvo. Test drive everything and go with what makes you happy
Old 05-15-2022, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by anser77
I just might end with a kia Sorrento, due to Acura no inventory.
I traded in a Gen 2 RDX for a 2016 Sorento. The Sorento was a big step up in terms of feature content and build quality. Also much quieter.
I know that the Gen 3 is much improved in terms of handling with the return of SH-AWD but build quality is still hit and miss and gas mileage is awful.
Although I have moved on from the brand I would still consider a KIA, Hyundai or Genesis in the future. The RDX was such a turd that I would not consider another Acura product.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
I traded in a Gen 2 RDX for a 2016 Sorento. The Sorento was a big step up in terms of feature content and build quality. Also much quieter.
I know that the Gen 3 is much improved in terms of handling with the return of SH-AWD but build quality is still hit and miss and gas mileage is awful.
Although I have moved on from the brand I would still consider a KIA, Hyundai or Genesis in the future. The RDX was such a turd that I would not consider another Acura product.
Three years ago when I was shopping for a new car, I would have thought you were taking crazy pills. Sure, Kia has made great strides in their offerings and quality, but better build quality than Acura? Blasphemy! After owning an Acura product for three years, I completely agree with you that build quality is not Acura's forte. It's a shame because the rest of the package is pretty good.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
ESHBG (05-16-2022), hand-filer (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 09:04 AM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Three years ago when I was shopping for a new car, I would have thought you were taking crazy pills. Sure, Kia has made great strides in their offerings and quality, but better build quality than Acura? Blasphemy! After owning an Acura product for three years, I completely agree with you that build quality is not Acura's forte. It's a shame because the rest of the package is pretty good.
OK all you Acura haters on this forum since you don't even own a Acura product and if you do and hate it so much why even are you here? I have had 2 3rd gen RDX's. A 2019 Aspec and now a 22 Aspec/Advance. Sure, the 2019 had some 1st model year issues but the build quality on my 19 was awesome. My 2022 is even better without any issues as well as build quality is excellent and am enjoying the added features as well. Sure, maybe not 100% perfect but no car ever is.
The following 3 users liked this post by tecwerks:
amcobra (05-16-2022), catbert430 (05-16-2022), markAZ (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
OK all you Acura haters on this forum since you don't even own a Acura product and if you do and hate it so much why even are you here? I have had 2 3rd gen RDX's. A 2019 Aspec and now a 22 Aspec/Advance. Sure, the 2019 had some 1st model year issues but the build quality on my 19 was awesome. My 2022 is even better without any issues as well as build quality is excellent and am enjoying the added features as well. Sure, maybe not 100% perfect but no car ever is.
The problem is that most Acura dealerships have the same mindset as you do and think nothing is wrong with the car when problems do arise. It can be a crapshoot getting problems resolved depending on your dealership, but Acura corporate has shown time and time again that they are either unwilling or unable to do right by the customers when the dealerships drop the ball. Nobody is saying other cars don’t have issues of their own, but when you go to a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi dealership (to say nothing of Lexus which is in a completely different league) you get the 5* treatment that makes these issues forgivable.
The following 4 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (05-16-2022), hand-filer (05-16-2022), Leaf 68 (05-16-2022), leomio2.0 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Perusing thru Reddit & YouTube, I've seen other complaints of build quality issues on the 3G RDX and 4G MDX. It's certainly not an isolated issue. Complaints highlight what manufacturers need to do better, lest they lose business. If the CX-90 looks anything like the concept floating around, the RDX will likely be getting dumped for it. I wasn't all that impressed with the CX-50.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:48 AM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
Oh look. Another thread with the same people complaining.

Just remember, when someone complains about a car on the internet it means everyone else will have the same problems.

These forums are helpful for DIY and other issues but not in determining how reliable a specific model is overall. It’s a select group of people to begin with and many are very vocal about their problems and mention it over and over.

This goes for all car forums IMHO.

I test drive multiple vehicles and buy the one I like. Maybe something will break down, maybe not. Life is too short to get all worked up about trying to predict it.

Going down the rabbit hole of car forums is an exercise in frustration.

In summation: The RDX is a POS rattletrap with squealing brakes and terrible MPG and shattering back windows and every dealer is horrible. Don’t buy it.

The response to this post will be: “You just wait, all the same bad things will happen to your RDX that happened to mine, you’ll see”.

End rant/

The following 6 users liked this post by ross7777:
amcobra (05-16-2022), catbert430 (05-16-2022), Gamera (05-16-2022), JB in AZ (05-16-2022), markAZ (05-16-2022), tecwerks (05-16-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
Re- fuel economy...

The RDX weighs 4100-ish pounds and is not a hybrid. There are simply no cars with those traits that will return good mileage. I can wring good mileage out of the RDX (21-24 city, 32+ highway) but only if I pay attention. Here are some things to consider:
  • Both pedals are your enemy when you want good mileage. Braking a lot means you added too much speed.
  • The car wants to be driven quickly and on boost. That's not good for mileage.
  • If you want to stay off boost, turn on the (stupid) "Sport Guages" and keep the (stupid) orange/purple indicator from showing orange.
Fuel economy is not amazing, but you can't find an AWD SUV with the same weight and performance that's much better. The X3 comes to mind, but it *requires* premium.

As for reasons not to buy one - for me it's the reliability and build quality. I'm two years into my lease and I'm already scheduled for my third (and on a backorder list for my fourth) major repair. By major repair I mean something that requires me to give up my car for 3 days or longer, even if they are providing a rental. I had the USB port replaced (had to take apart the center tunnel), I had the intercooler replaced (had to remove my front bumper), I'm in next week to have the HUD rattle fixed (have to take apart the whole dash) and I have a pano roof on backorder for 6 months and counting...

It's hard to beat Acura's 3 S's though - Seats, Sound and Sporty Handling. You can't find a combination of these three at this price range. Personally, I'll be giving Genesis a solid look next time around. I'm too spoiled by the three S's in the Acura to drop back to a mainstream offering as none of them come close, sadly.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jordster; 05-16-2022 at 12:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jordster:
ESHBG (05-16-2022), tecwerks (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordster
Re- fuel economy...

The RDX weighs 4100-ish pounds and is not a hybrid. There are simply no cars with those traits that will return good mileage. I can wring good mileage out of the RDX (21-24 city, 32+ highway) but only if I pay attention. Here are some things to consider:
  • Both pedals are your enemy when you want good mileage. Braking a lot means you added too much speed.
  • The car wants to be driven quickly and on boost. That's not good for mileage.
  • If you want to stay off boost, turn on the (stupid) "Sport Guages" and keep the (stupid) orange/purple indicator from showing orange.
Fuel economy is not amazing, but you can't find an AWD SUV with the same weight and performance that's much better. The X3 comes to mind, but it *requires* premium.

As for reasons not to buy one - for me it's the reliability and build quality. I'm two years into my lease and I'm already scheduled for my third (and on a backorder list for my fourth) major repair. By major repair I mean something that requires me to give up my car for 3 days or longer, even if they are providing a rental. I had the USB port replaced (had to take apart the center tunnel), I had the intercooler replaced (had to remove my front bumper), I'm in next week to have the HUD rattle fixed (have to take apart the whole dash) and I have a pano roof on backorder for 6 months and counting...

It's hard to beat Acura's 3 S's though - Seats, Sound and Sporty Handling. You can't find a combination of these three at this price range. Personally, I'll be giving Genesis a solid look next time around. I'm too spoiled by the three S's in the Acura to drop back to a mainstream offering as none of them come close, sadly.

Good luck.
3 S’s is a great description. Here in the mountains and narrow roads my 3rd gen RDX’s have exceeded my expectations. On my 2019 I had the Intercooler replaced which went smooth. Did I mention I don’t care about gas mileage. The thrill of it all outweighs that issue for me. If someone is looking for a gas miser better look elsewhere as you will be disappointed or drive the RDX at a snails pace.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
OK all you Acura haters on this forum since you don't even own a Acura product and if you do and hate it so much why even are you here?
For the entertainment value.