Flexing structure

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Flexing structure

There seems to be a lot of reports on here of shattering sunroofs, rear windows, and popping sunroofs. Could it be this car is flexing a little?Advanced Body Architecture
The RDX's new body architecture employs advanced engineering and assembly techniques to simultaneously increase rigidity and reduce weight. These include a new double-ring rear body/frame structure, a world's-first ultra-high strength steel, inner and outer front door ring design, and Acura's first use of high-performance structural adhesive and RDX's first use of sound-absorbing acoustic spray foam. These enhancements significantly improve ride and handling, cabin quietness, and collision safety performance.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:11 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Who knows. All vehicles flex. The posts definitely get attention but how many windows have actually shattered?

It’s hard to tell because people don’t tend to post if they don’t have issues and many that have issues post multiple times.

I’ve definitely noticed the same people complaining over and over in various threads.

At the end of the day I’m not going to loose sleep over it.
The following users liked this post:
hans471 (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
Who knows. All vehicles flex. The posts definitely get attention but how many windows have actually shattered?

It’s hard to tell because people don’t tend to post if they don’t have issues and many that have issues post multiple times.

I’ve definitely noticed the same people complaining over and over in various threads.

By the same token, how many have shattered with people not even knowing/bothering to report it on the internet?
Leaf 68 (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SG103
There seems to be a lot of reports on here of shattering sunroofs, rear windows, and popping sunroofs. Could it be this car is flexing a little?Advanced Body Architecture
The RDX's new body architecture employs advanced engineering and assembly techniques to simultaneously increase rigidity and reduce weight. These include a new double-ring rear body/frame structure, a world's-first ultra-high strength steel, inner and outer front door ring design, and Acura's first use of high-performance structural adhesive and RDX's first use of sound-absorbing acoustic spray foam. These enhancements significantly improve ride and handling, cabin quietness, and collision safety performance.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were the case. It likely also depends on how bad the roads are in your area, and how often you're going up and down driveway entrances that flex the body. It some people report their cars having poor interior build quality while others do not (tho the latter may just be them not being "tuned in" to hear it ... ie: wife says she doesn't notice any of the rattles that I hear before even leaving our block).
Old 02-09-2022, 05:25 PM
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts
Never a issue with my 2021 RDX Aspec SHAWD - chassis/unibody is very stiff on mine, sure it flexes (it has too a bit), however no issues with popping sunroof or shattering/cracking windows.

There are variances to all parts and how things are made - acceptable tolerances - so some will have issues and others won’t. If it was a HUGE issue, they do a recall on it.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
By the same token, how many have shattered with people not even knowing/bothering to report it on the internet?
Sure and many more not bothering to join this site or Facebook groups to not complain because they don’t have issues.

The FB group has 6000 members and there are approx 15 who posted about rear glass breaking. It would be one thing if hundreds were reporting it. God knows everyone on this site would if it happened to them.

Sometimes it seems like these problems are happening to every RDX because problem posts get the most attention and people pile on. Some don’t even own an RDX and still post to complain.

I’m not saying we should ignore it but it’s likely not going to happen to most of us. And I’m not going to worry about it. I would certainly be pissed if it happened to me though.

End rant…😁
Old 02-09-2022, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Sure and many more not bothering to join this site or Facebook groups to not complain because they don’t have issues.

The FB group has 6000 members and there are approx 15 who posted about rear glass breaking. It would be one thing if hundreds were reporting it. God knows everyone on this site would if it happened to them.

Sometimes it seems like these problems are happening to every RDX because problem posts get the most attention and people pile on. Some don’t even own an RDX and still post to complain.

I’m not saying we should ignore it but it’s likely not going to happen to most of us. And I’m not going to worry about it. I would certainly be pissed if it happened to me though.

End rant…😁
But it's occurring enough to be recognized by Acura of Canada as being an issue which they honor under warranty. That also has me to believe that the cold plays a factor in whether or not the glass will shatter.

Of those 6000 members, who are still actually really active and how many are actual 3G RDX owners?

Regardless, that's a poor attitude to have. "It's not happening to me, so why should I worry about it?" Until it does happen to you. And because nobody else cared, Acura US rested on their laurels and sat back and hasn't done anything. So you're now fighting with your dealer to get your window replaced while they tell you to pay your own insurance company, even though we know this isn't an isolated incident in the least. Then you get it fixed for a few hundred dollars, and you get to drive around in your nice "premium" vehicle with glass shards shaking around in your rear hatch to compliment the plastic rattles. It can be like a nice symphony of how much Acura fucking sucks. GTFOH with this bullshit.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:33 PM
Pro

Lots of bad things can happen but I’m not going to get worked up about it. Or be on pins and needles waiting for my glass to break.

I wouldn’t call it a bad attitude to assume you’ll have a problem free vehicle. Lots of pessimists on this site….

The following 4 users liked this post by ross7777:
hans471 (02-09-2022), littlegto (02-13-2022), Type X (02-11-2022), WTF.Acura (02-22-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

It's not being about pessimistic. It's being prepared for the possibility. If nobody makes a stink about it, Acura won't do a goddamn thing to make it right.

You'd be one of the first mofos eaten in a zombie movie.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:35 PM
Pro

Like I said. Shouldn’t ignore it but I’m not worried about it. Not sure what that has to do with zombies. How does one prepare themselves for glass possibly breaking? Nothing I can do about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by ross7777:
hans471 (02-09-2022), WTF.Acura (02-22-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 03:58 AM
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Apology

I didn't mean to alarm anyone. My windshield broke for no reason while turning onto an onramp,and am trying to find the reason. I like forums because sometimes there are good information on them. I posted on here without thinking I would be hurting people on here who like their cars, and some who are brand loyal. I'm not putting Acura down for this, their intention was to make the car better with this new technology and MAYBE it didn't work.I'm not saying this is the cause of the windows breaking, just trying to find a cause, in my opinion there is something causing the windows to break.
I am bringing the car in today for them to have a look at it, I don't expect them to pay for the repairs. but they are willing to look at it. The windshield is 997 dollars to replace and my insurance deductable is 1000 dollars, not the end of the world. Shit happens.
Again my post was not to criticize Acura. It was just to see if it had happened to someone else.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:07 AM
Pro

You don’t need to apologize. But you’ll drive yourself nuts trying to determine why something broke or malfunctioned.

If it’s really the body structure then we all are screwed.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:46 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Pretty sure as time goes on there’s gonna be more and more 19/20s with roofs popping from the flex. My driveway is off camber so flexes every time I go in or out. It sounds like the hull of a submarine that’s gone too deep. Always hold my breath as I’m expecting a pop and lose the rear glass and or the roof. Never had a vehicle groan like this going into a driveway or even flexed out off-road. Sounds like the whole body and interior panels moving against each other In mid to rear of vehicle.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
But it's occurring enough to be recognized by Acura of Canada as being an issue which they honor under warranty. That also has me to believe that the cold plays a factor in whether or not the glass will shatter.

Of those 6000 members, who are still actually really active and how many are actual 3G RDX owners?

Regardless, that's a poor attitude to have. "It's not happening to me, so why should I worry about it?" Until it does happen to you. And because nobody else cared, Acura US rested on their laurels and sat back and hasn't done anything. So you're now fighting with your dealer to get your window replaced while they tell you to pay your own insurance company, even though we know this isn't an isolated incident in the least. Then you get it fixed for a few hundred dollars, and you get to drive around in your nice "premium" vehicle with glass shards shaking around in your rear hatch to compliment the plastic rattles. It can be like a nice symphony of how much Acura fucking sucks. GTFOH with this bullshit.
dude i like your mindset. I am the victim of abrupt moon roof shattering on freeway. It was frightening when it happend and i still do not believe it was hit by something
EFR (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 10:34 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is "AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community"
Obviously you are on the wrong website!
Old 02-13-2022, 05:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,417 Likes on 1,869 Posts
Originally Posted by SG103
I didn't mean to alarm anyone. My windshield broke for no reason while turning onto an onramp,and am trying to find the reason. I like forums because sometimes there are good information on them. I posted on here without thinking I would be hurting people on here who like their cars, and some who are brand loyal. I'm not putting Acura down for this, their intention was to make the car better with this new technology and MAYBE it didn't work.I'm not saying this is the cause of the windows breaking, just trying to find a cause, in my opinion there is something causing the windows to break.
I am bringing the car in today for them to have a look at it, I don't expect them to pay for the repairs. but they are willing to look at it. The windshield is 997 dollars to replace and my insurance deductable is 1000 dollars, not the end of the world. Shit happens.
Again my post was not to criticize Acura. It was just to see if it had happened to someone else.
If people are so sensitive that they get butthurt because someone has a problem with their car, it really isn't worth worrying about whether you're hurting their feelings.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,417 Likes on 1,869 Posts

You sound like the type of person who stuck their heads in the sand with the R18 cracked block issue. Or for the 2-3 transmission grind issue. Or for the CRV vibration issue. Or for the 1.5T oil dilution issue. All four ended up being real issues with recalls, TSBs, settlements, or extended warranties offered, but Honda didn't get off their butts until sad class action lawsuits started getting enough traction.
leomio2.0 (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
The RDX has well over 32000nm/deg of deflection torsional rigidity. This is literally the most rigid SUV I am aware of. The chassis does not have a deflection issue. In fact, 32,000nm/deg+ is the LAST rdx torsional rigidity data. The new one is 38.3% more rigid, but Acura does not say if this is torsional or bending, so I presume its the highest number of either. Still...its super rigid.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by fiatlux
You sound like the type of person who stuck their heads in the sand with the R18 cracked block issue. Or for the 2-3 transmission grind issue. Or for the CRV vibration issue. Or for the 1.5T oil dilution issue. All four ended up being real issues with recalls, TSBs, settlements, or extended warranties offered, but Honda didn't get off their butts until sad class action lawsuits started getting enough traction.
Nah. I’m just not going to get worked up about it or be on pins and needles assuming mine will break. Things break and fail. Nobody knows why right now and I’m not going to start researching body structure flexing or whatever else. There is nothing I can do now except enjoying driving the car. Maybe something will fail, until them I guess I’ll bury my head in the sand and relax. 😆
WTF.Acura (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I had serious loud flex issues coming from moonroof. The entire piece was replaced. Now I have a loud wind noise from the front sunroof.