Comfort vs Sport Gas Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comfort vs Sport Gas Consumption

Howdy:

Just wondering if any fellow forumers have done anything to quantify any difference in fuel consumption between comfort mode and sport mode. I really like the feeling of my AWD Tech Pkg in sport mode but it is not clear what the dollar effect might be if I just left it in sport mode. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:28 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I suspect "Sport" would be a tad worse as it tends to hold revs a little higher and gears a little lower, but I doubt it would add up to much. Set it where you like and don't worry about it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Burger Steak & Eggs:
37tzee (01-10-2019), Mark-RDX (06-24-2020), MTD (01-09-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
On the highway no difference, in the city depends on how much you push the pedal. The answer to this is more dependent on driving style. YMMV literally.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:02 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Sport+ felt amazing but I'm sure it was burning more fuel since the kept the RPMs up higher. Then again, if you feel like need for that power, I wonder if it's a wash between comfort and sport if you just end up pressing the accelerator down further to get that acceleration you want in comfort?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mbhalpern
Howdy:

Just wondering if any fellow forumers have done anything to quantify any difference in fuel consumption between comfort mode and sport mode. I really like the feeling of my AWD Tech Pkg in sport mode but it is not clear what the dollar effect might be if I just left it in sport mode. Thanks!
Sport + mode burns a lot of fuel in my experience, but it's so much better than comfort mode, even if I'm just cruising along. Overall I'm far from impressed with the gas mileage on this vehicle. My old Genesis with a 6 cylinder engine got better mileage in sport mode.
The following users liked this post:
RDXDoug (08-27-2023)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Overall I'm far from impressed with the gas mileage on this vehicle. My old Genesis with a 6 cylinder engine got better mileage in sport mode.
@spinedoc777 If you could get a do-over, would you still buy the RDX, or something else? And if something else, what would you want?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
@spinedoc777 If you could get a do-over, would you still buy the RDX, or something else? And if something else, what would you want?
Sounds, you are asking very good questions! I am following along. I will be taking a long test drive this weekend and will post back with my findings/observations

Drove a Lexus NX yesterday. Not impressed, but I didn't expect to be. The only reason I even considered it was the availability of the hybrid engine...I had to drive it so I could cross it off my list.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Sounds, you are asking very good questions!
Why, thank you!

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I will be taking a long test drive this weekend and will post back with my findings/observations.
Please do !!

Old 01-11-2019, 11:35 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mbhalpern
Howdy:

I'd say there is no noticeable difference on gas consumption between dComfort and Sport modes.
I've been using Sport mode lately because, as my own experiences, in Comfort mode the gear got confused a couple of times in low speed traffic, never happened in Sport mode.
Sport+, awesome for light traffic highway driving, passing other cars as if they were cones; but horrible for heavy traffic local driving as rev is kept high after releasing gas peddle which makes me nervous.
The following users liked this post:
subin (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
go with Sport mode

Originally Posted by 1990integra
I'd say there is no noticeable difference on gas consumption between dComfort and Sport modes.
I've been using Sport mode lately because, as my own experiences, in Comfort mode the gear got confused a couple of times in low speed traffic, never happened in Sport mode.
Sport+, awesome for light traffic highway driving, passing other cars as if they were cones; but horrible for heavy traffic local driving as rev is kept high after releasing gas peddle which makes me nervous.
I am with you on this one. In comfort mode, I also have "late shift issue from 3 to 4 or 4 to 5, where it does not shift until 4.5k rpm when re-accelerate out of a low speed turn". One of the members pointed out to try Sport mode and I have not seen the late shift issue for the past 100 miles or so.
Gas mileage wise, I see no significant different. You can try this on your own, just reset the trip meter A to zero and drive around in Comfort mode and record the mpg on the dash for a full tank of gas, then reset it to zero again and repeat in Spot mode.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure. Part of the issue, and I hate to keep blaming Acura for this, is that I suppose I just don't really like crossovers. But my other issue is that Acura didn't go far enough in making this a luxury vehicle. I keep going back to my previous Genesis, Hyundai really went all out and made this a true luxury vehicle IMO. The ride, the seats, etc are all top notch. The seats on the RDX are terrible, no bolster support and I end up sliding around if I want to maneuver quickly, lumbar support is terrible (yes I'm an expert ), the ride quality and steering response, etc. If I had to do it over again I would probably stop being a cheap bastard and would have went for the x4, which is initially what I wanted.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Something else - Maybe a MDX A-spec? I think this 3G RDX needs a lot of refinement, from too much wind noise, body roll, squeaky brakes and struts, not smooth trunk closing, & glitchy infotaiment system. Maybe I will come back next time before they bring out the 4G. Really sad because its really a nice looking car (inside & out) with the best handling (I think).