Ceramic Coating ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018 | 01:04 PM
Racer

Ceramic Coating ????

Any thoughts on Ceramic coating OR Paint Protection Film? have you done it ??
Old 10-06-2018 | 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I have done paint protection film and then ceramic coat the entire vehicle. www.r1coatings.com
Old 10-06-2018 | 01:36 PM
Instructor

I do paint protection film (hood, bumper, fenders, head lights, mirrors, a pillar, roof in front of sunroof, door pull cups and door edges) on all my cars for many years and wouldn’t do without it.

i am currently on the fence about ceramic coating... some of their claims have a whif of snake oil about them, and I am concerned that if the film ever needs to be touched up is that possible with the ceramic coating on top of it?

also something I have heard but have no experience with or corroboration of, is that ceramic coatings might not stand up to winter weather conditions as well as it does in milder climates.

the dealership quoted me 1600 bucks to ceramic pro my rdx.
Old 10-06-2018 | 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by qwxilvr
i am currently on the fence about ceramic coating... some of their claims have a whif of snake oil about them, and I am concerned that if the film ever needs to be touched up is that possible with the ceramic coating on top of it?

also something I have heard but have no experience with or corroboration of, is that ceramic coatings might not stand up to winter weather conditions as well as it does in milder climates.

the dealership quoted me 1600 bucks to ceramic pro my rdx.

1. Not snake oil if you do your research and buy a reputable product...see my link above as an example of a highly reputable product
2. Not holding up in winter conditions? Where did you hear that? Totally not true and more Internet BS. Just buy a reputable product
3. $1600? Exactly why you should do it yourself for well under $100...assuming you are a healthy person and can read directions and take your time
Old 10-06-2018 | 07:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by securityguy
1. Not snake oil if you do your research and buy a reputable product...see my link above as an example of a highly reputable product
2. Not holding up in winter conditions? Where did you hear that? Totally not true and more Internet BS. Just buy a reputable product
3. $1600? Exactly why you should do it yourself for well under $100...assuming you are a healthy person and can read directions and take your time
Agree with both comments above. But I am just trying to find which one is better, Ceramic coating or Plastic Wrap. May youtubers are doing it both due to specific advantages on both, Front bumper and hood with plastic wrapping and rest with ceramic.
Old 10-06-2018 | 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Coolguy
Agree with both comments above. But I am just trying to find which one is better, Ceramic coating or Plastic Wrap. May youtubers are doing it both due to specific advantages on both, Front bumper and hood with plastic wrapping and rest with ceramic.
If you want to go the route of using both, I would apply the clear film on all the high impact areas like the front bumper, whole hood, front fenders and even the lower 1/3 if the doors and the door handle area.
Old 10-06-2018 | 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

I'm also on the fence about the ceramic coating since it's a lot of money. I got quotes from between $700-1000 CAD (including clay bar application). I watched a demo car wash after it was applied and the water just beaded right off the car. It was really impressive. I was told reapplication may need to be reapplied every 5 years, especially if you live in a cold winter climate with a lot of salt/sand used on the roads. Automatic car wash waxes are to be avoided after ceramic coating so it was recommended to go with the most basic wash that also washes your undercarriage to help keep your ceramic coating last longer. I'm not sure how often the DIY ceramic coating needs to be done to make it worth the time vs. money. The end result looks like it's worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chibo:
Coolguy (10-07-2018), qwxilvr (10-06-2018)
Old 10-07-2018 | 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chibo
I'm also on the fence about the ceramic coating since it's a lot of money. I got quotes from between $700-1000 CAD (including clay bar application). I watched a demo car wash after it was applied and the water just beaded right off the car. It was really impressive. I was told reapplication may need to be reapplied every 5 years, especially if you live in a cold winter climate with a lot of salt/sand used on the roads. Automatic car wash waxes are to be avoided after ceramic coating so it was recommended to go with the most basic wash that also washes your undercarriage to help keep your ceramic coating last longer. I'm not sure how often the DIY ceramic coating needs to be done to make it worth the time vs. money. The end result looks like it's worth it.
I am telling you...do it yourself with a great kit and you will not be disappointed. The DIY kits are just as good and, in some cases, is the same material the professionals use that charge outrageous amounts of money. I did Xpel paint protection film on the following (and do this to ALL of my cars for the last 12 years):

FULL hood
Front Bumper
Front quarter panels
Mirror caps
Door handle cups

I then do a ceramic on the remainder of the car. The PPF will protect against rocks and paint chips FAR better than a ceramic coating will which is why most use film on the front areas of the car that are most vulnerable.
Old 10-07-2018 | 08:13 AM
Summer is Coming

I had a really bad experience with clear bras. Granted it was several years ago but I will never use them again. I had one on my TSX and in the Texas heat is began to breakdown after a few years (can;t recall exactly how long). The bra had a lifetime warranty so I actually got it replaced. But I think the replacement did not have the same warranty. And was a slightly different 'improved' product. Well that didn't last either and this time I ended up removing it myself. What a nightmare. It too had broken down and I was taking it off tiny piece by piece. I used solvents, adhesive remover, it was terrible. Maybe there are better materials out there now but in this part of the country, it just didn't hold up.

Ceramic coatings on the other hand have been great. Well worth it. Preparation is the key. Buy yourself a random orbit polisher and do the job yourself. If the car is brand new you can probably do it all by hand. If you need some paint correction, get a power tool.
Old 10-07-2018 | 08:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by securityguy
I am telling you...do it yourself with a great kit and you will not be disappointed. The DIY kits are just as good and, in some cases, is the same material the professionals use that charge outrageous amounts of money. I did Xpel paint protection film on the following (and do this to ALL of my cars for the last 12 years):

FULL hood
Front Bumper
Front quarter panels
Mirror caps
Door handle cups

I then do a ceramic on the remainder of the car. The PPF will protect against rocks and paint chips FAR better than a ceramic coating will which is why most use film on the front areas of the car that are most vulnerable.
agree
Old 10-07-2018 | 04:28 PM
Instructor

Please be careful here...

ceramic coatings are are not magic, yes they can give your car a higher gloss factor, in some case they shed water better than traditional waxes, they are harder and therefore last longer than traditional waxes. Most of the videos out there are misleading. Ceramic can get scratched, it can get marred, it’s a pain to remove. Ceramic should be installed over perfectly clean paint, without physical or chemical contamination (i.e. claying and iron decon). The paint should also be glass smooth, without scratches, hazing, holograms, etc. In order to properly prep and install a ceramic coating yourself you should be spending ~$300 for all prep stuff, the coating, etc.; expect to spend a few hours to a few days installing, depending on how much correction your paint needs. installing a ceramic coating without proper paint prep will make your car look worse, and the coating won’t perform well.

IMHO, film is great until it gets damaged, then you’re replacing film on entire panels because the film looks like garbage. I’ve seen panels get damaged from removing film too, it yellows over time...

I personally use strips of film in a few key, high-wear, smaller areas, spots that I can replace myself. The rest of the car is ceramic coated, mine is a 2019 majestic black that needed some paint correction before coating (yes straight from the factory). So I’ve lived some of this stuff above, and did (and re-did) the work myself. I personally use McKee’s coatings and detailing products.

If if you’re really into detailing and protecting your car, check out the autogeek detailing forums. So much to read and research.
The following users liked this post:
qwxilvr (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018 | 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chibo
you should not take a coated car through any car wash that is not touch as those brushes are to abrasive to the coating. I wash the car once a month with foam gun chenille mitt and dry it with microfiber clothes.
Old 10-07-2018 | 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

You should go through a non-touchless car wash regardless!
Old 10-08-2018 | 05:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Personally I would not go through any car wash, if I owned a car for the long haul then hand wash is only way I would. And even with my lease sicne I got is coated I only do hand wash. Yes I know it is a lease, but I still want car to look good for the 3 years I will have it and being a darker color the coating made it pop.
Old 10-08-2018 | 06:25 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

I just had my TL paint corrected and Nanolex Si3d HD coated. I had detailers domain do the work and it came out great. I would recommend it for anyone that wants to extend the life of the original paint and keep it looking great. I've owned my TL for 13 years now and wanted the paint to last as long as possible. It's not my daily, so wear and tear on the surface is very limited. Once my wife and I get another vehicle for herself, I'll take it in for the same work. I wouldn't do it to a lease vehicle, but if you're planning on owning or own the vehicle, go for it. I have pictures on my build thread. Just go to the last page.
Old 10-08-2018 | 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

What did that cost you?
Old 10-11-2018 | 12:41 PM
Advanced

Clear bra is a must on every vehicle. I get it on all of my vehicles. Rock chips on the front bumper, headlights and hood look so nasty.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (10-11-2018)