Canadian 2023 RDX now just 2 trims?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Canadian 2023 RDX now just 2 trims?

https://www.acura.ca/en/rdx/trims

Happened to pop onto the Acura site and it appears that the 2023 RDX is now only available in 2 trims, an A-Spec and a Platinum Elite A-Spec. Kinda surprised that there's no price leader there as it's now $66k CAD all-in for the "base" RDX which is about $15k or so more than in 2019. Same thing has happened with the MDX, base trims are all gone.

Anyone know if this is temporary or deliberate?
Old 11-03-2022, 07:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Still 5 models available in the USA (RDX, Technology, Aspec, Advance and Advance Aspec). Doesn't appear like any of the specs changed from 2022 to 2023.

The biggest change I see is they skinny down some of the interior color options based on exterior color.. Pricing appears to gone up a few thousand dollar. The real question, is what will be the availability - as Honda/Acura and Lexus appear to have more problems with parts to build vehicles - as their MO production numbers are way off.

IMO - Wish Acura would omit the pano-sunroof for the Apex, as it's really useless to most (Never use it in the backing Texas summers or snowy, freezing winter mountains).
Also, the rear taillamp turn signal is still a regular bulb? - why not move to a LED turn signal. Easy fix for $40 with new bulbs LASFIT Amber BAU15S LED bulbs - which are so much brighter and safer.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 11-03-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Correct. I just picked up a 2023 A-Spec Platinum Elite (Advance A-Spec in the US) and the salesperson said that Acura is simplifying the trims in an effort to manage the supply chain. He said they're still dealing with significant supply chain issues and have been told by Acura Canada to expect significant shortages of new vehicles throughout 2023.
The following users liked this post:
supafamous (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When did you order your car? I placed an order (Ontario area) in July for an A-Spec and am still waiting.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rahcu2
When did you order your car? I placed an order (Ontario area) in July for an A-Spec and am still waiting.
I placed the order in September. The dealership said they had a shipment of RDXs coming in that they had ordered back in the spring. It was a 70/30 mix of regular A-Spec and the A-Spec Platinum Elite. All were black/black as they said that's the easiest to sell. They have another shipment coming in at the end of December (and most if not all of those are already sold), but they said they have no idea after that. They've been told that they may need to switch over to selling used cars only depending on what happens to the supply chain.
rahcu2 (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I placed the order in September. The dealership said they had a shipment of RDXs coming in that they had ordered back in the spring. It was a 70/30 mix of regular A-Spec and the A-Spec Platinum Elite. All were black/black as they said that's the easiest to sell. They have another shipment coming in at the end of December (and most if not all of those are already sold), but they said they have no idea after that. They've been told that they may need to switch over to selling used cars only depending on what happens to the supply chain.
All black - dang, not the color of choice for the super hot summer states. I rarely saw a black/black Aspec on the lot when I got mine and had 30 to choose from in all colors and trims. Most popular were white, blue, silver, gray and a few reds and blacks.

Quickest way for a franchise dealer to go out of business, selling only used cars and no new in inventory. Americans got use to BIG SUV's & trucks, that was until petrol prices exploded. Just makes zero sense and in a declining car market and rising interest rates - this will have some casualties.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
All black - dang, not the color of choice for the super hot summer states. I rarely saw a black/black Aspec on the lot when I got mine and had 30 to choose from in all colors and trims. Most popular were white, blue, silver, gray and a few reds and blacks.

Quickest way for a franchise dealer to go out of business, selling only used cars and no new in inventory. Americans got use to BIG SUV's & trucks, that was until petrol prices exploded. Just makes zero sense and in a declining car market and rising interest rates - this will have some casualties.
A quick look at parking lots around here will show you that most cars are black, silver or white. Black/black is an easy sell here. It's not just Acura, all dealerships are struggling for inventory.

The dealer where I bought my other car keeps emailing me with offers to buy my car back for more than I paid for it.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

A quick look at parking lots around here will show you that most cars are black, silver or white. Black/black is an easy sell here. It's not just Acura, all dealerships are struggling for inventory.

The dealer where I bought my other car keeps emailing me with offers to buy my car back for more than I paid for it.
Yep - Acura and Honda inventory is super slim. Just drove by Lexus, Nissan, VW and a few others - there lots are filling in with new vehicles. Hyundai and Kia have an advantage, as they are getting more chips from an article I read. There dealerships look FULL.

Boy your car back for more then you paid for it - depends when you bought it. All the online and dealer prices are coming down fast for used cars I have seen and got bids on my 21' RDX Aspec SHawd lately.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

This is true here for the Canadian market. The law for a new car states that the dealer can only charge a maximum of MSRP. He can sell for less but not more. So in this crazy market it pays to bring back even a new car that you sold a month ago and charge an extra 10k to sell it as used. There is always a sucker that will pay.
I was also told that people still waiting for their cars without a trade in are way down on the list. The dealer is much more interested with customers than have a trade in as they can make a good profit at both ends.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Byer2021
This is true here for the Canadian market. The law for a new car states that the dealer can only charge a maximum of MSRP. He can sell for less but not more. So in this crazy market it pays to bring back even a new car that you sold a month ago and charge an extra 10k to sell it as used. There is always a sucker that will pay.
I was also told that people still waiting for their cars without a trade in are way down on the list. The dealer is much more interested with customers than have a trade in as they can make a good profit at both ends.
It's not illegal. I'm Canadian and know lots of people who have paid over MSRP for a new car. It is not illegal for a dealer to add on a dealer markup fee as long as it's disclosed. What's more common in Canada is, instead of ADMs, for the dealer to register a new car in the dealership name so then it can be sold as a used car and the dealer can charge whatever they want for it as manufacturers are allowed to "punish" dealers who tack on ADMs in Canada. In most US states that is not allowed so you see the easier method of just tacking on ADMs.
Old 11-04-2022, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
It's not illegal. I'm Canadian and know lots of people who have paid over MSRP for a new car. It is not illegal for a dealer to add on a dealer markup fee as long as it's disclosed. What's more common in Canada is, instead of ADMs, for the dealer to register a new car in the dealership name so then it can be sold as a used car and the dealer can charge whatever they want for it as manufacturers are allowed to "punish" dealers who tack on ADMs in Canada. In most US states that is not allowed so you see the easier method of just tacking on ADMs.

Ok. Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. It is illegal to charge over the MSRP. So if the car comes from the factory for a price and then the dealer only adds the required levies, prep and taxes this will be the going out price ceiling.
The dealer cannot legally ask for more. But here is where the dealer comes in and sells you nitrogen, theft protection, warranty, financing and all the other stuff. So they have their way of increasing the total price without touching the MSRP.
The other situation we have is where a customer is waiting 18-24 months for a Rav 4 Prime. Nothing is stopping a customer to offer 5K$ to move up the waiting list to top 10. So of course the MSRP is totally irrelevant here.
You can pay 1 million if you want to. No one will stop you.
So basically the dealers understand the implications in regard to the MSRP but they don’t really care because they can go around it in so many ways.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

It's not a matter of being illegal. The MSRP is simply that, a suggested retail price. The dealer can't change it because that's set by the manufacturer and anyone can see that on the manufacturer's website. However, a dealer is free to say "The MSRP on this car is $50,000 but we won't sell it below $65,000." I had similiar situations happen when I was looking for a car during the pandemic. What you're probably thinking of is Section 74.05 of the Competition Act which says that a retailer can't sell something for higher than the advertised price (car manufacturers, for the most part, are not retailers). It's intended to prevent bait and switch, so you couldn't advertise a Civic for $25,000 and then say "We actually won't sell it for less than $30,000". That's why, during the height of the pandemic, lots of dealers simply had "call for pricing" on their websites or ads because they didn't want to advertise the markups they were charging. Here's an example from a Toronto area Ford dealer that's has been adding $15,000 markups to their in stock Ford Mach-Es. https://dixieford.com/new-inventory/filter/mach-e/ You can see that they're all listed as "Call for pricing". If you search the same dealer for Broncos, (https://dixieford.com/new-inventory/filter/bronco/) you'll see that the Bronco Sports all have their prices listed but the full size Bronco is listed as "Call for pricing". The added dealer markup is pure profit to the dealer and is in addition to all the extra things list rust proofing, accessories, etc.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
wow! you're correct! The same with MDX. You have A-SPEC and Plat Elite. then the Type S.

Definitely, Acura is having issue with supply chain and just want to push higher train to maintain healthy margins.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was on the Acura.ca website and holy shit you're not kidding it really does only have 2 trims! What were they thinking only producing the top 2 most expensive trims on their volume model?
Old 05-19-2023, 09:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was on the Acura.ca website and holy shit you're not kidding it really does only have 2 trims! What were they thinking only producing the top 2 most expensive trims on their volume model?
Correct! Acura cars are on the expensive side in Canada now.
RDX10 (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 10:05 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Just remember that Acura announced that their EV cars sales will be taken in-house and sold directly online by Acura. I'm sure a part of me would have hated the idea, but given what the dealers have become in so many cases, it will be a welcome relief. Seems Ford had mentioned something similar coming in the future. One thing that was noticeable as we push forward with a vehicle to replace our RDX....not a single one of the MB dealers we communicated with had any dealer additions...like nitrogen, etching, etc, and none had a 'market adjustment'. I don't care for government regulation in most cases, but when it comes to car sales I would be all for a law that required car dealers to post the price they are selling at, so for example if you added a 5K mark-up, then thats the price you advertise...if you added a long list of worthless add-ons like nitrogen, etc, then advertise that price. If you add on both a mark-up and a sheet of added junk like nitrogen...well, you just suck. The last Kia dealer we had communicated with had both a $5,000 mark up and $4,000 bunch of garbage added....an extra $9,000. Took a Kia and made it more expensive than a Mercedes. And of course when you go to trade that Kia in, that 9K will be worthless.
The following 4 users liked this post by EFR:
Byer2021 (05-22-2023), JB in AZ (05-19-2023), RDX10 (05-19-2023), Tony Pac (05-19-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Correct! Acura cars are on the expensive side in Canada now.
No kidding! Starting at 57k is wild to me!

Originally Posted by EFR
Just remember that Acura announced that their EV cars sales will be taken in-house and sold directly online by Acura. I'm sure a part of me would have hated the idea, but given what the dealers have become in so many cases, it will be a welcome relief. Seems Ford had mentioned something similar coming in the future. One thing that was noticeable as we push forward with a vehicle to replace our RDX....not a single one of the MB dealers we communicated with had any dealer additions...like nitrogen, etching, etc, and none had a 'market adjustment'. I don't care for government regulation in most cases, but when it comes to car sales I would be all for a law that required car dealers to post the price they are selling at, so for example if you added a 5K mark-up, then thats the price you advertise...if you added a long list of worthless add-ons like nitrogen, etc, then advertise that price. If you add on both a mark-up and a sheet of added junk like nitrogen...well, you just suck. The last Kia dealer we had communicated with had both a $5,000 mark up and $4,000 bunch of garbage added....an extra $9,000. Took a Kia and made it more expensive than a Mercedes. And of course when you go to trade that Kia in, that 9K will be worthless.
This is the first time I'm hearing this and I welcome this news wholeheartedly! I despise dealerships and dralership models. Even taking my vehicle in for service and I feel like I'm being predated. It's disgusting.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

No kidding! Starting at 57k is wild to me!
Honda pricing in some areas has gotten pretty steep - a loaded CR-V is $57k all in which is $5k more than a loaded CX-5. I can't recall what my all-in MSRP price was on my 2019 A-Spec but I had negotiated down to $56k all-in with accessories and today it's $67k for that same car, steep increase for just 4 years.
RDX10 (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by supafamous
Honda pricing in some areas has gotten pretty steep - a loaded CR-V is $57k all in which is $5k more than a loaded CX-5. I can't recall what my all-in MSRP price was on my 2019 A-Spec but I had negotiated down to $56k all-in with accessories and today it's $67k for that same car, steep increase for just 4 years.
Yo am I crazy here or something? I just went onto Honda.ca and the CRV base 2WD STARTS AT 38K?!??!?!? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?! The fact the CRV is more expensive than a CX5 is mind blowing when one compares build quality and drive trains. Wild. Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the CRV start at like 28k just a couple years ago??

Like when I saw that the new Kia Sorento topped off at 63k I thought I was crazy but omg a CRV for 57k? What is the world coming to? How are people affording new cars these days? With respect to the RDX, you're probably seeing the Elite-Aspec for 67k, the regular Aspec is still 57k.

Last edited by RDX10; 05-20-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Yo am I crazy here or something? I just went onto Honda.ca and the CRV base 2WD STARTS AT 38K?!??!?!? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?! The fact the CRV is more expensive than a CX5 is mind blowing when one compares build quality and drive trains. Wild. Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the CRV start at like 28k just a couple years ago??

Like when I saw that the new Kia Sorento topped off at 63k I thought I was crazy but omg a CRV for 57k? What is the world coming to? How are people affording new cars these days? With respect to the RDX, you're probably seeing the Elite-Aspec for 67k, the regular Aspec is still 57k.
You saw it right. Pre-tax prices (but including PDI) of base models (CAD):

CR-V: 38.5k
Rogue: 35.7k
CX-5: 33.8k
Rav4: 35.6k

re: RDX - $67k - that's the all-in with taxes price in BC that I was referring to. I had negotiated to $56k after taxes back in 2019.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by supafamous
You saw it right. Pre-tax prices (but including PDI) of base models (CAD):

CR-V: 38.5k
Rogue: 35.7k
CX-5: 33.8k
Rav4: 35.6k

re: RDX - $67k - that's the all-in with taxes price in BC that I was referring to. I had negotiated to $56k after taxes back in 2019.
Absolutely wild! I am actually shocked right now. I could have sworn the compact class SUV's were selling from the 25k to 40k range just a couple years ago. Looks like the Escape still starts just below 30k. Everything else is 31k+. The price creep is scary. We bought a Santa fe limited all in for 37k in 2012. The Santa fe currently starts at 39k and a top model is 57k...20k more in 10 years....my God. They'll be going for 80k in another 10 years.