Brake Concerns, HUD Issues and other Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Concerns, HUD Issues and other Concerns

I'm about ready to purchase a 2020 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance in Modern Steel Metallic. I have a deposit down and the car is ready for pickup. I have a couple of concerns about the purchase and could use some advice:
  • I drove 4 different Advance models and they all had a rattle which was determined to be the HUD. I refused to buy the car until the dealer could prove to me they could eliminate the rattle. In order to repair the issue, the Acura dealership had to disassemble the dashboard. My concern is that taking apart the dashboard may lead to future rattles. Should I be concerned about this issue?
  • When braking, I can hear what I believe are the brake pads contacting the rotors. Is this the same brake noise that others have complained about on this forum? It's not a squealing noise, rather it's more of a rubbing noise. I've never noticed this sound in any other car.
  • And then there are the infotainment issues. Some people on this forum have reported that they don't have the issues but it's not clear to me whether this has been resolved in the 2020 model year. I will be using Apple Carplay on a daily basis and the biggest complaints seem to be about the reliability of this app. Should I not consider the RDX because of these issues? It doesn't seem like Acura has been willing to address these issues which have persisted since the new model arrived.
  • Finally, I test drove a Lexus RX 450 F-Sport over the weekend. Was it as fun to drive as the RDX - no. But it was so much more refined/polished. And the touchscreen on the infotainment system was so much better than Acura's infotainment system. I do a lot of city driving and it would be nice to get the hybrid to save gas. The cost of the RX would be about $15K more and I'm not sure it's worth the difference. If they were closer in price, I think I would jump at the RX 450.
If it seems like I'm overthinking this purchase, i admit that I probably am. But I was burned by Acura with transmission issues for 2002 TL. I now have a 2009 TL which I love and plan to keep with this purchase. So I want to feel confident that I'm not going to get screwed by Acura again and a bunch of problems they won't fix.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 2020 A-Spec SH-AWD. I picked it up a few months ago and have only driven ~1200 miles. So I haven’t had my RDX for too long, but it’s been great so far. Infotainment has been working without issues. I use CarPlay all the time. The brakes have always stopped my car when needed. I also considered the RX vs RDX and ultimately went with the Acura. Didn’t think the Lexus was worth the extra money. No ragrets!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:31 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I have my RDX for about a year now.
  • Yes. If you can, find another RDX without the rattle.
  • Yes, but the noise would go away after a few miles of driving.
  • I don't use carplay and the infotainment is working fine, except small glitches that I can live with. There are reports of issues using it with carplay that you have already read about, so I would wait until Acura fixes it before making the purchase.
  • I would go with Lexus.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
I cannot make your decisions for you, but I would go with the RX450 over the RDX just in the chance that you could get one of the lemons. I had one and it was a year of nightmares for myself and my family as the car nearly killed us once.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:22 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. Ive seen some pretty cheap 04 - 06 but for a bit more I can get the 07 - 08. I did the Type S conversion on my older 2g so Im thinking this time around I go with the Type S to save me the headache of doing the conversion.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Sounds like you have nothing good to say about the RDX and nothing bad to say about the RX450. So, what do you want to hear from us?

And yes, I have a dash rattle near the HUD.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:11 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
If you don't feel 100% comfortable with the RDX that you already test drove and you feel it has issues I'll go with the RX, but that just me, I own and RDX Aspec since Nov-2018 with already almost 17k miles, have had some issues here and there but my dealer have been always great fixing them and with the service, today, after my long experience with the car, I'll probably buy again.. but you know, that's just me!!

My advice, don't buy something that you already feeling uncomfortable with before hand, you will regret it later on...! go with whatever you feel is the right car for you and makes you feel comfortable expending the money on.. after all, what you buying is all about personal satisfaction...
Old 10-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
It's hard to justify 15k for the Lexus, but I believe it's worth the difference:

1) IF you appreciate the more cushy ride. The Lexus is more softly sprung than even the Advance RDX in comfort mode. The ride quality is excellent as is the sound isolation. Overall, there is a greater sense of quality in that car.

2) IF your body fits more comfortably in the RX seat. I'm pretty tall and the Lexus had a couple of areas that rubbed my knees and would have bugged me. The RDX is surprisingly roomy and comfortable for the driver. If not for this issue, I would have bought a used RX for the same or less money than the RDX (even though the older model years lack CarPlay and have an atrocious infotainment system).

I would also like to mention that despite the EPA ratings, there probably won't be as much (if any) difference in fuel economy between the NON-hybrid RX and the RDX, so that might be worth a look too (as it also drives a little better). The RX350 overachieves and the RDX underachieves. The RX has the benefit of a 6 cylinder, higher towing capacity, proven reliability, accessories are cheaper/easier. As an owner of many Toyota and Lexus vehicles, including an older RX that I have right now, I can tell you that other than the dated infotainment systems, there is no nonsense you have to put up with from the vehicle, dealer, or manufacturer. That's also because it's sharing parts with tons of different cars, minivans, etc., which doesn't lead to the sportiest experience, but definitely a reliable one.

To give the RDX credit, there's no way you can beat it if you go feature-for-feature and it offers a significantly more engaging driving experience. If you're mostly driving in the city like me, the isolation you'd get out of the RX would probably be just a nice as the better dynamics, but that depends on what you're into.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:19 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by dugums
It's hard to justify 15k for the Lexus, but I believe it's worth the difference:

1) IF you appreciate the more cushy ride. The Lexus is more softly sprung than even the Advance RDX in comfort mode. The ride quality is excellent as is the sound isolation. Overall, there is a greater sense of quality in that car.

2) IF your body fits more comfortably in the RX seat. I'm pretty tall and the Lexus had a couple of areas that rubbed my knees and would have bugged me. The RDX is surprisingly roomy and comfortable for the driver. If not for this issue, I would have bought a used RX for the same or less money than the RDX (even though the older model years lack CarPlay and have an atrocious infotainment system).

I would also like to mention that despite the EPA ratings, there probably won't be as much (if any) difference in fuel economy between the NON-hybrid RX and the RDX, so that might be worth a look too (as it also drives a little better). The RX350 overachieves and the RDX underachieves. The RX has the benefit of a 6 cylinder, higher towing capacity, proven reliability, accessories are cheaper/easier. As an owner of many Toyota and Lexus vehicles, including an older RX that I have right now, I can tell you that other than the dated infotainment systems, there is no nonsense you have to put up with from the vehicle, dealer, or manufacturer. That's also because it's sharing parts with tons of different cars, minivans, etc., which doesn't lead to the sportiest experience, but definitely a reliable one.

To give the RDX credit, there's no way you can beat it if you go feature-for-feature and it offers a significantly more engaging driving experience. If you're mostly driving in the city like me, the isolation you'd get out of the RX would probably be just a nice as the better dynamics, but that depends on what you're into.
Yep. I drive an RX periodically and the center tunnel drives me nuts.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Don’t buy a car you don’t like. Certainly not at this price point.

when I had a big commute, and needed a reliable car, I was willing to get a cheap POS that was new and reliable (Dodge Colt) even if I didn’t like it.

But it was a cheap POS bought for a specific purpose.

When you pay the kind of money we are talking about, you should sit in the car, and say ‘yeeah’. Even if you need to deal with some random irritations.

But if you don’t like it, if it leaves you with a bad feeling, don’t buy it. You can get that for a lot cheaper.
The following users liked this post:
Tom_D (11-01-2019)