Auto Start/Stop used with Auto Brake hold

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019 | 10:32 PM
Pro

Auto Start/Stop used with Auto Brake hold

I did some testing using both Auto Start/Stop and Auto brake hold. There have been reports of when using brake hold and the auto start/stop “restarts the engine” during the brake hold the car will come out of brake hold and start moving forward on it’s own (this has happened to me). This is startling of course as you don’t expect this to happen. So I did some testing and can reproduce consistent results to ensure it works the way we want it to work.

When coming to a stop (if you have Auto brake hold turned on) push down “hard” on the brake pedal by trying to push it to the floor. My theory is this helps with the “physical engagement” of whatever mechanism is holding the car that it doesn’t dislodge when the car restarts. If I only lightly press the brake and then the car restarts from the auto start/stop it is far more likely to start moving on it’s own. Just letting others know that you can make it behave better by pushing harder on the brake pedal when engaging the Auto brake hold.
Old 09-15-2019 | 11:04 PM
Drifting

I brought this up months ago. The best solution, IMO, is to use one or the other, but not both.
Old 09-16-2019 | 07:47 AM
Racer

During the past 50 years of driving, I have never found it necessary to take my foot off of the brake pedal or turn off the engine at a stop. I have no plans to change that practice now that I have a car with some useless, annoying features.
The following 2 users liked this post by robnalex:
NooYawkuh (09-17-2019), samiam_68 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019 | 08:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
I did some testing using both Auto Start/Stop and Auto brake hold. There have been reports of when using brake hold and the auto start/stop “restarts the engine” during the brake hold the car will come out of brake hold and start moving forward on it’s own (this has happened to me). This is startling of course as you don’t expect this to happen. So I did some testing and can reproduce consistent results to ensure it works the way we want it to work.

When coming to a stop (if you have Auto brake hold turned on) push down “hard” on the brake pedal by trying to push it to the floor. My theory is this helps with the “physical engagement” of whatever mechanism is holding the car that it doesn’t dislodge when the car restarts. If I only lightly press the brake and then the car restarts from the auto start/stop it is far more likely to start moving on it’s own. Just letting others know that you can make it behave better by pushing harder on the brake pedal when engaging the Auto brake hold.
Never had an issue using both. I use both all the time as I drive in the city most of the week. Doesn't matter if I brake soft or hard the brake holds even when auto start starts during those hot days.
Old 09-16-2019 | 08:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by robnalex
During the past 50 years of driving, I have never found it necessary to take my foot off of the brake pedal or turn off the engine at a stop. I have no plans to change that practice now that I have a car with some useless, annoying features.
Yeah the only scenario is at a long stop light or stuck at train tracks. That’s only if I leave the auto start/stop turned on.
Old 09-17-2019 | 06:24 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I brought this up months ago. The best solution, IMO, is to use one or the other, but not both.
Or neither.

At least on the RDX they can be turned off / disabled. On my sister-in-law's Caddy, you can't turn off either one.

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Yeah the only scenario is at a long stop light or stuck at train tracks. That’s only if I leave the auto start/stop turned on.
If I'm stopped at a RR crossing or sitting in line at a drive through, and I know I won't be moving for a while, I put the car in park. It's the safest thing to do, rather than getting cute with the newer features on cars and going against 40 years of muscle memory.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 09-17-2019 at 06:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TheLevelOne (09-17-2019)