Auto Engine Idle Stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Auto Engine Idle Stop

Is anyone else having issues with the Auto Idle Stop feature working consistently? When I first got the car it was turning off regularly when I was at a stoplight. Now its only happening about 10% of the time. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I have confirmed the button is still turned on.
The following users liked this post:
romer (09-14-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
Is anyone else having issues with the Auto Idle Stop feature working consistently? When I first got the car it was turning off regularly when I was at a stoplight. Now its only happening about 10% of the time. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I have confirmed the button is still turned on.
This is what I have found so far. If the A/C is working fairly hard, idle stop does not go on. But, mostly, if I step on the brake firmly, but let up and hold it lightly, idle stop either doesn’t go on, or, if it is on when the brake is held firmly, the engine starts if I lighten up on brake pressure even if I don’t release the brake.

Otherwise, mine works as expected.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Too bad you can't disable it permanently. Auto start/stop is stupid IMO. Saves very little fuel and causes additional wear to the crank bearings. It's yet another gimmick to attempt to meet government regulations and make consumers think they're saving fuel at the expense of increased wear to the engine and components. I turn my engine off if I know I'll be stopped more than a minute. But start/stops in traffic jams or 15 second red lights? Not a good idea.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Too bad you can't disable it permanently. Auto start/stop is stupid IMO. Saves very little fuel and causes additional wear to the crank bearings. It's yet another gimmick to attempt to meet government regulations and make consumers think they're saving fuel at the expense of increased wear to the engine and components. I turn my engine off if I know I'll be stopped more than a minute. But start/stops in traffic jams or 15 second red lights? Not a good idea.
To answer OP, I find it inconsistent as well. It sometimes comes on and sometimes doesn't. Glad I am not the only one. In terms of the above, cant you disable it permanently by hitting the button to the left of the electronic gear shifter (it has an "A" with an arrow circling the letter)?
Old 08-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Drifting

I've heard you can. Sorry, I'm ignorant on the RDX but according to what I've read on the board, you can disable it but it resets each time you drive the car. So you'd need to push it every time you get in to drive. Sort of like disabling the traction control system.

When I purchase my next vehicle I'm specifically looking for something that either doesn't have it, or can be disabled permanently.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
I had one of the limp mode events and ever since that I can’t remember that auto idle has worked.

I have tried different ways of stopping, turning it off and on, no air conditioning.

Billy
Old 08-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
..It's yet another gimmick to attempt to meet government regulations..
Not a gimmick as much as it's the government deciding that it's a good technology (whether that's true or not is another matter). 'Big Brother' is kind of forcing it's use by awarding CAFE credits based on whether or not a vehicle has idle S/S and what type it is.

No start/stop = no CAFE credits
S/S that can be turned off and remembers it's been turned off = a little bit of CAFE credit
S/S that can be turned off but defaults back to on = more CAFE credit
S/S than cannot be turned off at all = maximum CAFE credit

Be happy you're not buying a GM product since most of their vehicles fall into the last category. At least Acura put the 'S/S off' button right between the start button of the transmission selector where it's real easy to get to.
The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
Stew4HD (08-16-2018), zroger73 (09-21-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 05:09 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
At least Acura put the 'S/S off' button right between the start button of the transmission selector where it's real easy to get to.
That is a good observation. And it isn’t difficult to get in to the habit of pressing it if it bugs you. My 20 year old daughter has it on her car and doesn’t think twice about turning it off as part of start up. Just like putting on your seat belt.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Not a gimmick as much as it's the government deciding that it's a good technology (whether that's true or not is another matter). 'Big Brother' is kind of forcing it's use by awarding CAFE credits based on whether or not a vehicle has idle S/S and what type it is.

No start/stop = no CAFE credits
S/S that can be turned off and remembers it's been turned off = a little bit of CAFE credit
S/S that can be turned off but defaults back to on = more CAFE credit
S/S than cannot be turned off at all = maximum CAFE credit

Be happy you're not buying a GM product since most of their vehicles fall into the last category. At least Acura put the 'S/S off' button right between the start button of the transmission selector where it's real easy to get to.
yeah I would never buy a car that would not allow you to turn off s/s. I hate the s/s on my TLX, very obnoxious and intrusive. My A6 was not horrible, and I was lucky as it remembered it was turned off before when you started the car.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the updates guys. I am glad I am not the only one where the idle stop is not working well. It's not a huge issue but it's odd that it worked more regularly the first week or two I had the car and now does not seem to be kicking in as much.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the updates guys. I am glad I am not the only one where the idle stop is not working well. It's not a huge issue but it's odd that it worked more regularly the first week or two I had the car and now does not seem to be kicking in as much.
In addition to not depressing the brake pedal hard enough there are a litany of reasons why idle stop will not kick in. They're listed on pages 430-431 of the owner's manual.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm ambivalent towards it. I'll take the fuel savings as even the most efficient powertrain gets 0 mpg idling while stationary. It is intrusive as it is very noticeable / not smooth when the engine restarts. A definite bump and shake. Also I hate the way it fires the engine back up needlessly when I come to a stop to park.
zroger73 (09-21-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
... Also I hate the way it fires the engine back up needlessly when I come to a stop to park.
I’ve gotten used to just hitting the stop/start button when I stop to park, and the engine won’t restart. With the electronic controls, there is no need to select park.
DHood (10-28-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 10:02 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My previous car was a hybrid so I’m somewhat used to the s/s behavior with the exception I could take off from a stop with the electric motor. The Infiniti system was much smoother but probably designed for more s/s cycles as it would do so even at highway speeds. It definitely helped my fuel economy reach a whopping 30mpg!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Am I the only one who actually enjoys the s/s? I like the perfect quiet at the stop light.
The following 2 users liked this post by r1ckster:
DHood (10-28-2018), zroger73 (09-21-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 02:04 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I find if I put the AC on auto, the auto s/s works consistently. However, I find if I turn off the AC and just leave it on fan, the auto s/s doesn't work consistently. I don't know why. I would expect that it would turn off the engine more because it's not putting load on the battery, but its not.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 354 Posts
Someone on their Honda Pilot has it permanently disabled. This might work for the RDX too.

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/114...top-start.html
jjacke (11-04-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:50 AM
2013 RDX tech Amber

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had this on my recent BMW and it was much more noticeable than the RDX. Compared to BMW I could hardly notice the Acura auto engine off.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Drifting

I'm curious, how does the car get moving with any degree of response when you accelerate from a stop light? The amount of time it takes to let your foot off the brake and press the accelerator is less than it is for the car to restart isn't it? So do you have some sort of delay? And what about connection to the torque converter? For a normal car without s/s you have to disengage the TC prior to starting the car. That seems like it would cause an additional delay since it would have to reengage the torque converter when it restarts.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Personally I have developed into a two button pusher every time I get into the vehicle - the button to start the engine plus the button to turn off the auto start/stop. It is really not too burdensome to do that once you get into the habit. I suppose if I get into a horrendous traffic jam I might use it rather than burn the fuel at a very prolonged stop. I wonder if there are any published studies how the average mpg is affected in typical city stop and go traffic when the start/stop is engaged.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtssenior
...I wonder if there are any published studies how the average mpg is affected in typical city stop and go traffic when the start/stop is engaged.
I've seen a few of them - with wildly different claims depending on the motives of the author.

One actually claimed as much as 30% fuel savings, but once you dug into how that was calculated it was only measured while in stop-and-go traffic which consisted of only 2% to 3% of the total drive time - so 30% of 2% is actually 0.6%. Applying this "30%" fuel savings to the real world would mean that a car that would otherwise get 24 MPG can improve that to as much as 24.14 MPG.

Statistics can (and are) manipulated to prove whatever the author wants so it's critically important when reading them to determine how the numbers are derived to see what's really being measured.

To me S/S technology is a 'feel good' and 'looks good on paper' approach but when it comes down to it the cost far outweighs any benefit and I'll turn it off without feeling the least bit guilty.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by gtssenior
Personally I have developed into a two button pusher every time I get into the vehicle - the button to start the engine plus the button to turn off the auto start/stop. It is really not too burdensome to do that once you get into the habit. I suppose if I get into a horrendous traffic jam I might use it rather than burn the fuel at a very prolonged stop. I wonder if there are any published studies how the average mpg is affected in typical city stop and go traffic when the start/stop is engaged.
Yup on my TLX is is now second nature’s, push brake, push start, push disable start/stop, push brake hold and push LKAS button.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Drifting

I'm curious, how does the car get moving with any degree of response when you accelerate from a stop light? The amount of time it takes to let your foot off the brake and press the accelerator is less than it is for the car to restart isn't it? So do you have some sort of delay? And what about connection to the torque converter? For a normal car without s/s you have to disengage the TC prior to starting the car. That seems like it would cause an additional delay since it would have to reengage the torque converter when it restarts.
If you intend to move out, disable the auto start. If you are going to mosey along, leave it on.
HillbillyInBC (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
If you intend to move out, disable the auto start. If you are going to mosey along, leave it on.
QFT. As I approach senescence and decrepitude, I find myself in "mosey along" mode more often than I would ever have imagined in my youth. Auto Engine Idle Stop works just fine when I'm in that mode, and is a quick and handy off switch away when I'm not.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Split decision in my household. I like it and my wife hates it. Somewhere I saw that you can disable the dash panel indicator that comes on when you press the engine stop button by changing the vehicle settings. It keeps the indicator from coming on if it bothers you but there is no way to disable the engine stop function without manually pressing the button to turn it off.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HillbillyInBC
QFT. As I approach senescence and decrepitude, I find myself in "mosey along" mode more often than I would ever have imagined in my youth. Auto Engine Idle Stop works just fine when I'm in that mode, and is a quick and handy off switch away when I'm not.
There are some of us who are not appoaching; we are dragging it behind us. I generally leave it on, unless I am going to make a left turn, or there will be a merge after the stop. Or when my wife is at home, I have the sound cranked up, and I have the SH-AWD graphic up, not the trip computer.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcmcia
I find if I put the AC on auto, the auto s/s works consistently. However, I find if I turn off the AC and just leave it on fan, the auto s/s doesn't work consistently. I don't know why. I would expect that it would turn off the engine more because it's not putting load on the battery, but its not.
I did what you suggested and turned the Heating/Cooling unit to Auto and that did it. Since doing that every time I have come to a top the car shuts off which is what I wanted since I do mainly city driving and hit many stop lights. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Personally with the long lights of Raleigh, I really like this feature. It's definitely helped me save some fuel versus my 14 MDX in those situations. I too like how it gets silent when in use.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:57 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did anyone else observe car restart when the car ahead starts moving (using the radar)? I kept my foot firmly on the brake and saw this happen a couple of times....
Old 09-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RangersRule99
Did anyone else observe car restart when the car ahead starts moving (using the radar)? I kept my foot firmly on the brake and saw this happen a couple of times....
When we were on our test drive many times the car would start when sitting at a light. Many times it was when I was first in line.

Billy
Old 09-13-2018, 09:28 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by billyt1963

When we were on our test drive many times the car would start when sitting at a light. Many times it was when I was first in line.

Billy
The camera can read speed limits.. I am sure that it can also read the traffic lights
Old 09-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm pretty sure the displayed speed limit is from the navigation database. The limit on my street went from 50 mph to 45 mph about a year ago but the higher limit still displays in my RDX.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by billyt1963

Billy
The car restarts after 1 minute regardless of the surroundings.
This makes it even more useless for me with the 3-minute red lights where I live.
All that wear and tear to save gas for 1 minute?

I always disable it at startup just as I did in my TLX.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by B25Nut
I'm pretty sure the displayed speed limit is from the navigation database. The limit on my street went from 50 mph to 45 mph about a year ago but the higher limit still displays in my RDX.
I am pretty sure that the camera up in the windshield reads the signs and displays the appropriate speed. I believe that is how it is advertised.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Auto Start/Stop is actually pretty important. You only have to turn off the engine for six or seven seconds for it to be worth it

Old 09-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I’ve seen the road sign reading marketed for the Honda Accord “Sensing,” but not for the RDX.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Yeah, the speed limits are stored in the navigation database.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by securityguy
I am pretty sure that the camera up in the windshield reads the signs and displays the appropriate speed. I believe that is how it is advertised.
If it does it's not working. MI has recently changed the limits on some rural highways from 70 to 75 and signs have all been updated. RDX still shows 70 as the limit so it is not reading the signs - has to be coming from the NAV data base.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Racer

I can verify it comes from the nav. When I picked my car up the GPS was not working because the antenna was defective. I did not have any speed signs in the HUD or on the MID.

Billy
Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 AM
Drifting

In the Accord sensing system, it is read by the camera. In the RDX, it comes off the nav.

Quick Reply: Auto Engine Idle Stop