Auto Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
Auto Detailing

Hey guys/gals,

Is anyone on here into Auto Detailing? I decided to just pick-up a Flex DA to try and correct my Apex Blue Aspec RDX better than it currently is. I previously had it detailed, and although it looks much better than it did, it still needs some help. I am hoping to try the DA polisher this week or weekend.

I am hoping to hit the paint with some 3D AIO. I was thinking about maybe using Megs Ult. Compound before had to try and remove some deeper defects.

Anyway, what kind of polisher/pad combo do you use? What products would you recommend?

Thanks much!
Old 06-29-2022, 06:53 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I haven't used a polisher, BUT I have heard it is very easy to cut too deep and ruin your clear coat, or even cut into the paint if you are not careful.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I haven't used a polisher, BUT I have heard it is very easy to cut too deep and ruin your clear coat, or even cut into the paint if you are not careful.
you are thinking of a rotary buffer. The dual action polishers are much safer!
Old 06-29-2022, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
you are thinking of a rotary buffer. The dual action polishers are much safer!
Ah! I admit I didn't know what your DA stood for! LOL Now I do! Thanks!
Old 06-29-2022, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Hey guys/gals,

Is anyone on here into Auto Detailing? I decided to just pick-up a Flex DA to try and correct my Apex Blue Aspec RDX better than it currently is. I previously had it detailed, and although it looks much better than it did, it still needs some help. I am hoping to try the DA polisher this week or weekend.

I am hoping to hit the paint with some 3D AIO. I was thinking about maybe using Megs Ult. Compound before had to try and remove some deeper defects.

Anyway, what kind of polisher/pad combo do you use? What products would you recommend?

Thanks much!
Easy. I used an orange buffing pad, with polish and not compound, You want to work a small panel at a time, let the DA on medium speed do the work, once done wipe off the area you worked on. You will be buffing the clear coat, not the paint. You will easily remove swirl marks, some light scratching and haze. Doubt your RDX paint needs more than a light polish over the panels. Be carful around the seem and edges, don’t spend too much time on those thin paint areas. Watch some DIY YouTube videos on using a DA buffer.

1st - wash the car good, then clay bar the entire RDX. You want the paint as smooth and clean before buffing it. Once polished, use a good sealer or ceramic/nano product to protect it,

Here is what I use, all available on Amazon:

Griot's Garage 11241 3" Orange Foam Correcting pad

3D Speed Car Polish & Wax (similar 3D AIO - All in One polish, protection). You just need the smallest bottle, as a little goes a very long way).

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 06-29-2022 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Easy. I used an orange buffing pad, with polish and not compound, You want to work a small panel at a time, let the DA on medium speed do the work, once done wipe off the area you worked on. You will be buffing the clear coat, not the paint. You will easily remove swirl marks, some light scratching and haze. Doubt your RDX paint needs more than a light polish over the panels. Be carful around the seem and edges, don’t spend too much time on those thin paint areas. Watch some DIY YouTube videos on using a DA buffer.

1st - wash the car good, then clay bar the entire RDX. You want the paint as smooth and clean before buffing it. Once polished, use a good sealer or ceramic/nano product to protect it,

Here is what I use, all available on Amazon:

Griot's Garage 11241 3" Orange Foam Correcting pad

3D Speed Car Polish & Wax (similar 3D AIO - All in One polish, protection). You just need the smallest bottle, as a little goes a very long way).

I did pick-up some of the 3D Speed. I am going to give it a whirl later this week. I'm glad to hear that you had good results with it!
Old 06-29-2022, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Assuming the RDX's clear coat is as soft as other Honda/Acura products you may find that a white pad works just fine - I've tried an orange pad and found it unnecessary. It depends on how strong the polish that you use is but Meguiar's 210 + a white pad has worked well for me on Mazda and Honda clear coats.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
I did pick-up some of the 3D Speed. I am going to give it a whirl later this week. I'm glad to hear that you had good results with it!
You can also use the black polishing pad too. Just depends on the shape/condition of your paint. Regardless, just some light application of the DA, go. over the area several times in a cross hatch pattern, and you’ll see amazing results when wiping it off. I did my blue Mini JCW coupe and the paint looked like glass. Silver is a hard color, as the swirl marks don’t show up easy. But the depth of my paint is amazing.

Tips: Go slow till you get the hang of it. Put the cord over your shoulder (less likely to get caught up in), make sure the pad is securely on the DA, use moderate speed and let the DA do the work, a few drops of the polish on the pad is plenty - 5 - 6 (get some education by watching YouTube videos for a crash course).
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (07-01-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 07:08 AM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey guys/gals,

Thanks much!
I consider myself a weekend warrior when it comes to detailing my 2022 A-Spec Advance BUT I draw the line at doing anything involving paint correction. I’m just not willing to risk the chance that I’ll do irreversible damage.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by rbbcpa
I consider myself a weekend warrior when it comes to detailing my 2022 A-Spec Advance BUT I draw the line at doing anything involving paint correction. I’m just not willing to risk the chance that I’ll do irreversible damage.
I too would call myself a weekend warrior type and I'd say with some small precautions it's remarkably safe to do a paint correction - use a dual action machine and start with the weakest pads (white) and a light polish and it's really hard to screw it up. I wouldn't do it on a really old car or on single stage paint but for a new-ish car it's straightforward stuff. It's a lot of work though - several hours of laborious back and forth - I did it 4 times and gave it up.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rbbcpa
Clay and minor paint correction with a DA are you friends! Been doing it for many years and never had any issues other than a great looking finish when I am done. Stay on top of it to avoid causing swirls/scratches, etc an you will never need to do 'severe paint correction'. I have done some of that on a Toyota PU, again with a DA and had no issues.....Rotary will give better results but requires skill to us properly and done incorrectly can cause more problems that it solves. Flex is a great choice and the Meguiars MT300 is also good at a lower price....

Finishing my annual detail tomorrow....will post pics once complete..

Last edited by rdx4me?; 07-03-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rdx4me?
Clay and minor paint correction with a DA are you friends! Been doing it fore many years and never had any issues other than a great looking finish when I am done. Stay on top of it to avoid causing swirls/scratches, etc an you will never need to do 'severe paint correction'. I have done some of that on a Toyota PU, again with a DA and had no issues.....Rotary will give better results but requires skill to us properly and done incorrectly can cause more problems that it solves. Flex is a great choice and the Meguiars MT300 is also good at a lower price....

I picked up a Flex cordless DA. It seems to work great! I have yet to fully detail the RDX, but from the little bit I've messed around with just one panel, it does an awesome job! I am using it with 3D Speed AIO. Awesome product! I like their spider-web light purple pad as well!
Old 07-04-2022, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx4me?
Clay and minor paint correction with a DA are you friends! Been doing it for many years and never had any issues other than a great looking finish when I am done. Stay on top of it to avoid causing swirls/scratches, etc an you will never need to do 'severe paint correction'. I have done some of that on a Toyota PU, again with a DA and had no issues.....Rotary will give better results but requires skill to us properly and done incorrectly can cause more problems that it solves. Flex is a great choice and the Meguiars MT300 is also good at a lower price....

The following users liked this post:
supafamous (07-04-2022)