Anyone Using a Strap Bike Holder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 06:20 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Anyone Using a Strap Bike Holder?

I’m on the fence about going the trailer hitch route, but I have a trip coming up that I’ll need to carry a bike. Anyone use a strap on bike carrier? I’m wondering how it is affected by (or affects) the rear spoiler.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:50 PM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Waetherman,

I had big plans to use my Hollywood Racks Baja Trunk Mounted Bike Rack on my 2019 Acura RDX Tech. I had used it successfully on my 2002 Acura MDX to carry two (2) bikes without any problems. However, the power tailgate makes installing the bike rack on the RDX very difficult. When the power tailgate is open, installing the bike rack on it, causes the power tailgate to automatically close before the clips/straps can be installed. I'm also not confident the way the top clips/straps of the bike rack put an extreme load on the rear spoiler.

I'm up for suggestions on how to install a trunk mounted bike rack on the RDX as I would really like to be able to transport my bikes. Anyone?

Old 06-28-2020, 07:54 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
The last time I used one of those, a bike pedal dug into the truck lid of the car. That was about 35 years ago. No doubt they have improved, but as you say the spoiler is an issue. You could look at the website for Saris and see what they have to say on the subject.

I went through the car-top rack phase, and somehow managed NOT to drive a bike into a garage door, but many of my buddies have checked that one off their list.

It's certainly possible to screw up with a hitch-mounted rack, but it takes a bit more creativity. Downsides are cost ( receiver and rack ) and storing the thing.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wander
The last time I used one of those, a bike pedal dug into the truck lid of the car.
To prevent this from happening, I like to double up and old athletic sock and cover the pedal that may face the trunk when on the bike rack. I also use additional bungee cords to secure the bikes to the bike rack so they don't move around when being transported.

I still would like to be able to use my trunk mounted bike rack on my RDX. Any suggestions on how to keep the power tailgate open when installing the bike rack?
Old 06-28-2020, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
Saris bones is a good trunk mounted one that has adjustable arms and legs to go around the spoiler. I’ve since gone away from the bones and went toward a seasucker rack that attaches to the roof of the car via suction cups
Old 06-28-2020, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
I’m on the fence about going the trailer hitch route, but I have a trip coming up that I’ll need to carry a bike. Anyone use a strap on bike carrier? I’m wondering how it is affected by (or affects) the rear spoiler.
I had one for my Mazda, the clips slowly wore the paint away, and the bike could hit the car too sometimes
Old 06-28-2020, 11:47 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
To prevent this from happening, I like to double up and old athletic sock and cover the pedal that may face the trunk when on the bike rack. I also use additional bungee cords to secure the bikes to the bike rack so they don't move around when being transported.

I still would like to be able to use my trunk mounted bike rack on my RDX. Any suggestions on how to keep the power tailgate open when installing the bike rack?
I think you push the button to open the tailgate, then push and hold the button to stop it without reversing. Or something like that. It's in the fine manual. Somewhere.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wander
I think you push the button to open the tailgate, then push and hold the button to stop it without reversing. Or something like that. It's in the fine manual. Somewhere.
Thanks for the tip. Hollywood Racks Baja Trunk Mounted Bike Rackinstalled! To keep the power tailgate from completely closing shut while I installed the clips/straps, I placed a folded up table cloth for padding between the power tailgate and bumper. I'll take the bike rack out for a test drive to make sure it stays installed. I'll then load my bikes on the bike rack and take them for a subsequent test drive. Stay tuned.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:34 PM
Racer

Update: Road test with Hollywood Racks Baja Trunk Mounted Bike Rack and one (1) bike successful. The anti-sway bike cradle keeps the bike in place and there is lots of clearance between the pedal and tailgate. So far so good.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:29 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Thanks for that - I guess I'll just be getting one of these. The hitch carrier can wait.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:01 PM
Racer

Update: Here's the Hollywood Racks Baja Trunk Mounted Bike Rackwith two (2) bikes. So far, so good.

Happy 4th of July. Stay safe and in good health.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:54 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Update:

Well I tried some strappy carriers and I have to say, not a great experience. The first was an old one my dad had. It was from like 1983. It was cumbersome and not very secure, but it got me from A to B without failing, so I guess it was ok. Then that rack got taken, so I borrowed one from my brother. It’s a cooler looking Sarris design that holds three bikes. I took it (and three bikes) on vacation this week and it’s worked fine and feels secure. The problem is that it has made my hatch go all wonky. It’ll open, but I think the weight of the rack confuses some sensor and it’ll automatically close right after it opens unless I hold it up by hand. And the “close hatch” button doesn’t work, so I have to manually shut it. And sometimes it doesn’t pull the hatch in that last half-inch so I have to give it a good shove or I get the “hatch open” alarm.

Luckily I have an appointment to get a hitch installed next week and a hitch rack that is coming this week. I’m done with strappy carriers!
Old 07-14-2020, 07:46 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
Update:

Well I tried some strappy carriers and I have to say, not a great experience. The first was an old one my dad had. It was from like 1983. It was cumbersome and not very secure, but it got me from A to B without failing, so I guess it was ok. Then that rack got taken, so I borrowed one from my brother. It’s a cooler looking Sarris design that holds three bikes. I took it (and three bikes) on vacation this week and it’s worked fine and feels secure. The problem is that it has made my hatch go all wonky. It’ll open, but I think the weight of the rack confuses some sensor and it’ll automatically close right after it opens unless I hold it up by hand. And the “close hatch” button doesn’t work, so I have to manually shut it. And sometimes it doesn’t pull the hatch in that last half-inch so I have to give it a good shove or I get the “hatch open” alarm.

Luckily I have an appointment to get a hitch installed next week and a hitch rack that is coming this week. I’m done with strappy carriers!
Good move. Everyone of these that I've seen has done a job on the paint
Old 07-05-2023, 06:54 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to hook upper straps?

Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
Thanks for the tip. Hollywood Racks Baja Trunk Mounted Bike Rackinstalled! To keep the power tailgate from completely closing shut while I installed the clips/straps, I placed a folded up table cloth for padding between the power tailgate and bumper. I'll take the bike rack out for a test drive to make sure it stays installed. I'll then load my bikes on the bike rack and take them for a subsequent test drive. Stay tuned.
I have 2016 RDX. I have a new 1.25 in hitch bike carrier. I was looking for where to hook an antisway strap and I did not find anything but two slots in the plastic spoiler. The spoiler looks too flimsy to hook anything on it. What is the secret?
Old 07-07-2023, 04:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by joeowner
I have 2016 RDX. I have a new 1.25 in hitch bike carrier. I was looking for where to hook an antisway strap and I did not find anything but two slots in the plastic spoiler. The spoiler looks too flimsy to hook anything on it. What is the secret?
Roger that. The rear spoiler of the 2018 Acura RDX did seem very flimsy to me. Although I carried two bikes on with Hollywood Racks Baja Trunk Mounted Bike Rack, I only drove a very short distance and didn't hit any big potholes. Good luck.