Anyone else in love with the Audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 10:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else in love with the Audio system?

I think this is the best quality of audio I have ever had in a car. My previous system was a $3k custom system.

I find myself turning the tunes up, and just getting lost in the bliss of full range of audio that I previously had not experienced. Even streamed audio sounds excellent. They really knocked this out of the park.

Anyone else feel the same?
Old 05-18-2021, 07:43 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
My wife, who listens to more music than me, and I, a professional musician, are not fans of the sound system in our 2019 RDX Technology Trim. We find it tinny and brittle. However, we are in the minority, as most people like the RDX sound system. I stirred up a lot of hornets with this thread. The sound system in our 2021 TLX is really quite good- infinitely better than the sound in the RDX.
The following users liked this post:
sdonnelly691 (06-29-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 08:00 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I agree! My 2019 Advanced had the best sound system I have ever had in a vehicle.
Unfortunately:
1. My wife doesn't like to listen to the music loud enough for me to realty enjoy the quality of the system.
2. I don't own it anymore.
3. The system in my new Corsair is close, but I think the ceiling mounted speakers in the RDX take it a step above
Old 05-18-2021, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
My wife, who listens to more music than me, and I, a professional musician, are not fans of the sound system in our 2019 RDX Technology Trim. We find it tinny and brittle. However, we are in the minority, as most people like the RDX sound system. I stirred up a lot of hornets with this thread. The sound system in our 2021 TLX is really quite good- infinitely better than the sound in the RDX.
Unless I'm mistaken, your Technology trim comes with 12 speaker ELS system while the A-Spec and Advance come with 16 speaker ELS Studio 3D system. Most of the accolades are for the upper-end 3D system.

Have you compared the 2 systems back to back? I'm sure in addition to the difference in number of speakers, the 3D system also gets a beefier amp.
NBPDC505 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 08:51 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Unless I'm mistaken, your Technology trim comes with 12 speaker ELS system while the A-Spec and Advance come with 16 speaker ELS Studio 3D system. Most of the accolades are for the upper-end 3D system.

Have you compared the 2 systems back to back? I'm sure in addition to the difference in number of speakers, the 3D system also gets a beefier amp.
Quite possibly the Advance's sound is better. We've been listening to the RDX's sound for two years. The first time we listened to the TLX's sound it was an amazing improvement over the RDX. The TLX is ELS with 13 speakers, but comparing the two cars is an apples/oranges deal since the cabins are entirely different.

Here's a review of the TLX system.

Last edited by robnalex; 05-18-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Quite possibly the Advance's sound is better. We've been listening to the RDX's sound for two years. The first time we listened to the TLX's sound it was an amazing improvement over the RDX. The TLX is ELS with 13 speakers, but comparing the two cars is an apples/oranges deal since the cabins are entirely different.

Yes, cabin size b/w the RDX and TLX will be a big factor.

I'm curious where that extra speaker is on your TLX Tech vs the RDX Tech. Could it be the number of subwoofers?
Old 05-18-2021, 09:39 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
I think that might be correct. I believe I read the '21 TLX has 2 subs.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
The musicians in my household like the RDX advance and think it is very good. The main complaint is not linearly good over volume range. Does not hit sweet spot until higher volumes. There is also wish of my control over the audio.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:18 AM
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
I'm impressed with the sound system in my 21' A-Spec. It's a big improvement over the Bose system that was in my previous vehicle - a 2019 Mazda CX-5.
The following 2 users liked this post by swttsx007:
ELIN (05-18-2021), NBPDC505 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 03:59 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
1010 WINS AM, all news all the time, has never sounded better.
The following 3 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
AZ4035 (05-19-2021), TheLevelOne (05-22-2021), Waetherman (05-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
1010 WINS AM, all news all the time, has never sounded better.
Funny you mention. Did a drive in theater with FM radio sound. Was actually amazed how good it sounded. Only annoyance factor was cargo light can't be turned off and daughter pushed it trying to turn it off. This pushed the light into the ceiling. Will have Acura look at it when I take it in since she did not push hard.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:50 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by LightRider
I think this is the best quality of audio I have ever had in a car. My previous system was a $3k custom system.

I find myself turning the tunes up, and just getting lost in the bliss of full range of audio that I previously had not experienced. Even streamed audio sounds excellent. They really knocked this out of the park.

The ELS Studio 3D system was the main factor in pushing me over the top when I bought my 2020 Advance. As a drummer, I can appreciate the beauty of sound and atmospherics. There are a variety of ways to tweak the system to make it virtually perfect with the right song production, sound alignment and recording techniques. Using DTS Neural on certain productions (but not all) only enhances the listening experience (in my humble opinion)

Looking for peak sensory experience and a taste of heaven even if you're not religious? OK, pop a jump drive in and take a listen to Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" in 5.1 SACD. Pull the cords, drop both your rear seats to open up the cabin concert-hall style so there's even less objects for sound to bounce off of and flick the volume to 20. All 16 speakers come alive. The subwoofer driving the bass line will slay you. You will literally feel as if you're a participant in the studio recording with the group. As they say, YOLO

So - yea, I sorta like the audio system...
The following 5 users liked this post by Vince D:
amcobra (05-21-2021), DJ Iceman (05-19-2021), tecwerks (05-20-2021), TheLevelOne (05-22-2021), Trek (05-24-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Definitely the Tech vs A-Spec/Advance version of the audio system at play here.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
I have the 12 speaker system in my 2019. I would agree the audio is lacking (tinny and brittle) when playing certain recordings and is quite good with other recordings. I'm not including 3d or flac recordings here.

What I find is music that is not compressed sounds poor with the 12 speaker RDX. That is rock recordings done pre-2000. The compression of rock music (see Loudness war - Wikipedia) pre-2000 was not being done. With my home audio system these sound best.
Music that is compressed sounds quite good with the 12 speaker RDX.. These are recordings done after 2000 when the loudness war started. Streaming audio is all compressed. I suspect compressed music in a noisy cabin makes sense.

It was mentioned elsewhere on this board that the RDX audio is 'tuned' for a specific recording method and is inflexible with other recording methods. I believe that to be accurate.

Lastly, I get a strong 'frisson' response when listening to music. With the 12 speaker RDX I get less of this 'frisson' then in my old 8 speaker TSX that I drove for 15 years.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:42 AM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Gate 17
I have the 12 speaker system in my 2019. I would agree the audio is lacking (tinny and brittle) when playing certain recordings and is quite good with other recordings. I'm not including 3d or flac recordings here.

What I find is music that is not compressed sounds poor with the 12 speaker RDX. That is rock recordings done pre-2000. The compression of rock music (see Loudness war - Wikipedia) pre-2000 was not being done. With my home audio system these sound best.
Music that is compressed sounds quite good with the 12 speaker RDX.. These are recordings done after 2000 when the loudness war started. Streaming audio is all compressed. I suspect compressed music in a noisy cabin makes sense.

It was mentioned elsewhere on this board that the RDX audio is 'tuned' for a specific recording method and is inflexible with other recording methods. I believe that to be accurate.

Lastly, I get a strong 'frisson' response when listening to music. With the 12 speaker RDX I get less of this 'frisson' then in my old 8 speaker TSX that I drove for 15 years.
Describe frission.
Also, i have read there are 13 different 'profiles' that the audio system uses depending on the input. Too bad we cannot override.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
+1 for the Acura/ELS Studio 3D system in our A-Spec. Unreal sound. Best I've had in a vehicle and we've owned a lot of vehicles from a lot of brands.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:52 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
It is a pretty good system. (I have the A-Spec). I do wish it had a little more control over the sound instead of just bass/treble adjustments. Our LR3 had the addition of a 'Subwoofer' level which I thought was nice as I like to add a little more low end 'thump' at lower volume than most cars have. However, the system that you hear pales next to hearing it with some those tracks that have been made available on this blog in 5.1 FLAC. What an incredible difference. If you haven't tried them, you don't know what you are missing. It's just too bad that 5.1 songs are not available online for purchase, without having to buy whole albums....like an I-Tunes store of some type.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:12 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by LightRider

i generally love the rdx sound system. I installed another sub in mine, which the install is located elsewhere on this site. It sounds even better with that lower octave. What I don’t like is where you turn it up it gets a 2-3k ‘screeching’ or better a distortion. If i could dsp that out, that would be great. So instead I just tweak the treble down a notch and the midrange down a couple more, leaving the bass in the middle. It sounds better but still needs to be smoother in that range. Yes the 5.1 is really nice, but really depends on the source/mix. Some terrible some really nice. My collection is topping 150 5.1 Albums.
glad you like the demo discs!
Vince D (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
How does it sound with Van Halen?

to me, a good sound system sounds like you are standing in front of a Marshall stack.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:36 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by FlopMeister

to me, a good sound system sounds like you are standing in front of a Marshall stack.
OR - if you're sitting...

FlopMeister (05-27-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 11:50 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by tecwerks:
FlopMeister (05-27-2021), Vince D (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Reply to Funz51

Frisson - term for the chills that music can cause when listing.
If a person is lucky enough to have this reaction to music, the better quality of listening equipment, recordings, and live events enhance the feelings.
Keep in mind the music itself is the main driver. Change in tempo even slightly, chord changes, surprise in the song, volume changes, ....
Even if you heard the music many times, the human brain is wired for patterns and a change 'surprises' the brain.
60% of people have this with as little as gooseflesh. Others like myself get small reaction like gooseflesh and strongest would be the entire spine, across the shoulders, ring around the head and rare but has happened a halo at the top of my head. This can happen all at once. Very powerful. (My Spine is the Bass Line, LOL)
Strong reactions I get consistently is Led Zep The Ocean, most Bach, Miles Davis Kind of Blue, and most recent is Vampire Weekend Harmony Hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisson
The following 2 users liked this post by Gate 17:
DJ Iceman (05-22-2021), DrWoo (05-24-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 01:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gate 17
Reply to Funz51

Frisson - term for the chills that music can cause when listing.
If a person is lucky enough to have this reaction to music, the better quality of listening equipment, recordings, and live events enhance the feelings.
Keep in mind the music itself is the main driver. Change in tempo even slightly, chord changes, surprise in the song, volume changes, ....
Even if you heard the music many times, the human brain is wired for patterns and a change 'surprises' the brain.
60% of people have this with as little as gooseflesh. Others like myself get small reaction like gooseflesh and strongest would be the entire spine, across the shoulders, ring around the head and rare but has happened a halo at the top of my head. This can happen all at once. Very powerful. (My Spine is the Bass Line, LOL)
Strong reactions I get consistently is Led Zep The Ocean, most Bach, Miles Davis Kind of Blue, and most recent is Vampire Weekend Harmony Hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisson

That's fascinating to read. Now I know what im experiencing has a name.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
The Jag I traded in had an 850 Watt System. You point the sound to any corner of the SUV or any spot along either side of the vehicle. You could tweak the sound in a ton of different ways, but it never sounded as good as the ELS 3D system in my2021 RDX PMC. I don't care about the shortage of tweaking features. The sound quality is outstanding. I'm very pleased. It is even better than the system in my 2008 RDX Tech, a car I still own.
Vince D (05-25-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 11:51 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Trek
The Jag I traded in had an 850 Watt System. You point the sound to any corner of the SUV or any spot along either side of the vehicle. You could tweak the sound in a ton of different ways, but it never sounded as good as the ELS 3D system in my2021 RDX PMC. I don't care about the shortage of tweaking features. The sound quality is outstanding. I'm very pleased. It is even better than the system in my 2008 RDX Tech, a car I still own.
Best ever for my tastes. Tom Petty full blast, zero distortion and awesome bass. Too bad the infotainment system has all these annoying glitches that can’t be fixed short of buying a different vehicle.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:08 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by tecwerks
Best ever for my tastes. Tom Petty full blast, zero distortion and awesome bass.
Oh, man - TP had the best sound engineers in the business. Bright, crisp, clean and full of sound. "Wildflowers" and "Damn the Torpedoes" are my two favorites of his while on the freeway. All at volume 20 +

tecwerks (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
a-spec owner here: for those who want a bit more bass turn down your center and roof speakers considerably. I followed that recommendation from the below thread and haven't looked back since as it was a huge improvement for me.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...woofer-973766/
Old 05-26-2021, 07:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Vince D
Oh, man - TP had the best sound engineers in the business. Bright, crisp, clean and full of sound. "Wildflowers" and "Damn the Torpedoes" are my two favorites of his while on the freeway. All at volume 20 +
Pink Floyd too, Wish You were Here - Deluxe Experience Version - Remastered Released 2011
Kicks ass, you won’t regret having it. Audio is SUPURB. For some reason I don’t think it’s on Apple Music if u use it.
Vince D (05-26-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I think the 3D Studio system in my Advance is better than my 5.1 living room setup, even if most audio mixes let the center channel dominate too much. An acceptable trade off for the limitations of the TTI infotainment system.
Another spectacular album is Queen's A Night At The Opera; the best surround track on it is not Bohemian Rhapsody, believe it or not, but Death On Two Legs!
Old 05-27-2021, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
Best ever for my tastes. Tom Petty full blast, zero distortion and awesome bass. Too bad the infotainment system has all these annoying glitches that can’t be fixed short of buying a different vehicle.
I don't know about Tom Petty. But I love this system for Jackson Browne, Bruce Springsteen, Phil "the thrill" Collins, The Eagles, Boston, Stevie Nicks with Fleetwood Mac, and Jimi Hendrix.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trek:
ELIN (05-27-2021), markm929 (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince D
well he recorded his best albums at that sound city studio. Watch Dave grohls documentary on it. A warehouse/small factory that was an amazing sounding studio.
Vince D (05-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 11:43 AM
RDX ILX TSX

well he recorded his best albums at that sound city studio. Watch Dave grohls documentary on it. A warehouse/small factory that was an amazing sounding studio.
Awesome.

I cannot believe how I've missed this documentary, and I'm a music documentary addict. I will check this out first chance I get.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
“Sound City” is awesome. It is best rock music production documentary I have ever seen.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/so...ty/id587612681
Vince D (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 04:51 PM
RDX ILX TSX

OK had a chance to see it yesterday and what an amazing story. I don't think I blinked the entire time.

It really goes to show how much of an impact the original sound production, sound engineering and the person who is turning the knobs on the sound board that determines the entire sonic environment and what we hear through our speakers. Nowadays it seems to be a lost art form with digital taking over, but then - I still listen to records.

Anyway, fantastic documentary. Thanks for the tip Flopmeister.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:54 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by rdevillers
“Sound City” is awesome. It is best rock music production documentary I have ever seen.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/so...ty/id587612681
Agreed.

To me, this is right up there with my other favorite "It Might Get Loud" with Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White discussing the electric guitar and their influences, swapping stories and then jamming together. Perfect.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vince D:
Ih8honda (06-01-2021), tecwerks (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 07:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by vince d
agreed.

To me, this is right up there with my other favorite "it might get loud" with jimmy page, the edge and jack white discussing the electric guitar and their influences, swapping stories and then jamming together. Perfect.
zoso
Old 03-07-2023, 12:11 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a separate speaker is a great experience