Android Auto, wherefore art thou Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 10:27 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Effing crock. I turn auto brightness off on my phone too. Does anyone actually like this feature.

Let the driver determine which brightness level they want.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludepower
Effing crock. I turn auto brightness off on my phone too. Does anyone actually like this feature.

Auto brightness is different. That's where the screen dynamically adjusts the brightness based on the ambient light. I never adjust the brightness on my TVs. And I couldn't live without it on my phone. It would drive me crazy if I had to adjust my phone whenever I went indoors or outdoors.

But the infotainment screen should not switch to night mode during a cloudy day.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludepower

This can be controlled in Developer Settings in the phone's AA app.
To enable Developer Settings:
  • Go to Settings menu in the AA app
  • Scroll down to the Version at the bottom
  • Keep hitting on it until Developer Settings is enabled. It should show in the dotted menu (upper right).
  • Click the dotted menu
  • Select Developer settings

The following users liked this post:
samiam_68 (11-24-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the tips; however, so far, none have worked for me. The car does not seem to detect the AA app on my phone. I have deleted AA from my phone and re-installed it. The car has all the latest Acura downloads and shows AA listed in the apps file but when I plug my phone into the USB jack(s), the car does not detect the app. I have done the in/out of the car with door closed routine about six times now, but still cannot get the car to find the AA app on the phone. It does detect the phone since I can see the phone charging indicator when I plug it into the USB jack. May have to go to the dealer to see what the problem is.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pearl77
Thanks for the tips; however, so far, none have worked for me. The car does not seem to detect the AA app on my phone. I have deleted AA from my phone and re-installed it. The car has all the latest Acura downloads and shows AA listed in the apps file but when I plug my phone into the USB jack(s), the car does not detect the app. I have done the in/out of the car with door closed routine about six times now, but still cannot get the car to find the AA app on the phone. It does detect the phone since I can see the phone charging indicator when I plug it into the USB jack. May have to go to the dealer to see what the problem is.
I noticed you said USB jack(s). There is only one USB port that works for AA / CarPlay: the USB port by the cup holders. The other USB ports are for charging only. Try a different USB cable. Did you notice the phone tries to start AA (by the AA icons appearing in the notification bar, then disappearing)? Try waiting a few minutes before plugging in the phone. I have had more luck this week. It's working 90% of the time. Sometimes, I just unplug, wait a few minutes, plug the phone back in and it works. Yeah, this really is frustrating, but just try out different things until Acura sorts things out with Google.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearl77
Try a different cable and like rdxnguyen said, the only port that works for AA is the one by the cupholders.

I had the same problem and bought a usb 2.0 "high speed" cable and everything seems to be good now. I only use AA on a longer ride, otherwise, I just stream music through bluetooth. Either way boot up time and issues have been zero to minimal.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
What a bunch of (I don't use expletives) issues. I should have waited buying a new car and kept my eight-year old vehicle a few more years with basic easy-to-understand features. For instance, a radio preset was simply: 1) dial the frequency by twisting a knob, 2) press a button ----and done.
My real concern is what happens when 5G becomes available. New car's infotainment systems will be obsolete and/or depressed in value in a few years as a result of obsolete infotainment.
5G will be a godsend.
The following users liked this post:
RDX2O2O (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
5g

Originally Posted by Acure4RDX
What a bunch of (I don't use expletives) issues. I should have waited buying a new car and kept my eight-year old vehicle a few more years with basic easy-to-understand features. For instance, a radio preset was simply: 1) dial the frequency by twisting a knob, 2) press a button ----and done.
My real concern is what happens when 5G becomes available. New car's infotainment systems will be obsolete and/or depressed in value in a few years as a result of obsolete infotainment.
5G will be a godsend.

US won't have 5g for a while due to the China trade war. No Huawei means no affordable 5g. I think some other companies have 5g but it's expensive and not as fast I heard. So you don't have to worry about it. I have a feeling the car will be obsolete the same time most financially practical people get the itch for a new car. 7 - 10 years.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:21 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
My last car had a cassette dock. It was practically obsolete when I got it.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:51 PM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
So now obviously obsolete are CD's.. Now, then, there is the Sirius. Will I continue with Sirius after the introductory period? Hell No! All I have to do now is set all the AMFM presets
(now called 'Favorites'?)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acure4RDX
So now obviously obsolete are CD's.. Now, then, there is the Sirius. Will I continue with Sirius after the introductory period? Hell No! All I have to do now is set all the AMFM presets
(now called 'Favorites'?)
Doesn't Sirius keep sending you these deals? There are lots of competition now: Spotify, Amazon Unlimited (with Prime) ... Sirius is holding on to survive. Negotiate with Sirius on those deals, they may give you more free months or dirt cheap months . With 5G coming, even if the Infotainment is not 5G-enabled, we still have our phones with WiFi hotspot and Bluetooth both of which the Infotainment can still connect to -- there's no foreseeable future that Bluetooth is going away with 5G. Planning to keep this RDX for at least a few years. My next car will be an all-electric one (no not the ugly Cybertruck).
Old 01-28-2021, 11:33 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Probably just me... but god I hate the direction these manufacturers are going with the display.

The screen just poking out of the dash looks so half-assed to me. It looks like a designer one day installed a tablet-holder for his kid on the dash and thought "Oh this would look great for 2020+".

There's just no... integration into the dash. It just abruptly ruins the lines by having a rectangle pop out so randomly. If it can retract into the dash then I would keep it inside 98% of the time.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:17 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
Probably just me... but god I hate the direction these manufacturers are going with the display.

The screen just poking out of the dash looks so half-assed to me. It looks like a designer one day installed a tablet-holder for his kid on the dash and thought "Oh this would look great for 2020+".

There's just no... integration into the dash. It just abruptly ruins the lines by having a rectangle pop out so randomly. If it can retract into the dash then I would keep it inside 98% of the time.
For what it is worth, I agree. I prefer the "old fashioned" look with the screen integrated in the dash. I doubt we will ever see that again, unless we buy older cars, which I won't be doing. We just have to get used to it.

Many manufacturers are now going to the "Tesla look" with what looks like a huge tablet stuck on the dash, that requires one to use it for simple things like air vent adjustment, etc.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:09 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Agree, it's not the best look. The newer Mercedes (E-AMG) have what I think is the best integration I have seen with a pretty seamless screen that starts on the left and goes about 2/3's across the dash. That, coupled with terrific screen graphics makes for an attractive and luxury presentation. It will be interesting to see if the 'next-gen' RDX reverts back to touchscreen or if Acura sticks with it..I know some people like it, but given a choice, I think I would rather have a touchscreen. In reading reviews about the new TLX and the new MDX no-one seems that enthralled with the Acura trackpad.A 2022 model will be our next purchase...of something. Right now the new Kia Sorento is looking pretty interesting....unless we make the leap to all electric, then, who knows.