Android Auto, wherefore art thou Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Holy shit, you people have some serious First World problems

I recall buying a car and it stayed the same for as long as I owned it.
I drive a lot and I was promised Android Auto as I like using Waze and the other features Android Auto provides. Also, I have had to deal with brake issues, Adaptive Cruise problems, sudden braking for no reason and a host of other crap that should never have made it out of QA. The fact that the Infotainment system is a piece of garbage just solidifies it for me. I will miss the speaker system, but that is about all. I have opened at least 10 major issues with Acura over the last 13 months and NONE of them were addressed. They disappeared like a fart in the wind...
Old 07-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Holy shit, you people have some serious First World problems

I recall buying a car and it stayed the same for as long as I owned it.
The Andriod Auto is a "feature" that was promised by the salesman in my case. I didn't get the RDX based on that but expected to have it soon after buying.

Vehicles aren't like they used to be since they are connected to the internet in many ways.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:18 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The Andriod Auto is a "feature" that was promised by the salesman in my case. I didn't get the RDX based on that but expected to have it soon after buying.

Vehicles aren't like they used to be since they are connected to the internet in many ways.
Yes but paying 47k for a car one would expect it all to work and it’s all bullshit from Acura anyway as plenty of CarPlay systems are in other vehicles that do not have these issues. Chevrolet and Mazda are 2 recent rentals and my IPhone excelled.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tecwerks
Yes but paying 47k for a car one would expect it all to work and it’s all bullshit from Acura anyway as plenty of CarPlay systems are in other vehicles that do not have these issues. Chevrolet and Mazda are 2 recent rentals and my IPhone excelled.
Completely agree as Carplay works great in my daughter's new Mazda CX-5. She uses it everyday on our commute to work and I have never seen an issue with it.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
I’m not defending Acura, but if google told them they was going to make AA compatible with the TTP system, then they have to wait to google release the new AA software. ( I think they should have did what they did with CarPlay and us the mouse pad type of system.) Side note: I don’t own a RDX and this is only my opinion don’t attack me.
The following users liked this post:
Meto (07-24-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 01:30 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
What are you talking about? There is no knob. If you are talking about this picture, that is the Drive button for the transmission.

Take a closer look. Dunno what it does, but it kinda looks like there's a knob.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
^ New Gear Selector?
Old 07-25-2019, 06:28 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Cigarette lighter
Madd Dog (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 09:11 AM
Racer

Coffee Grinder?
Tom_D (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Pretty sure that's a reset button for the infotainment system.
Oscarjr83 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Pretty sure that's a reset button for the infotainment system.
I was gonna guess luxury fuse puller lol
Oscarjr83 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow good eyes but I doubt it is a rotary knob to control the infotainment. I am thinking it is the volume knob as it is missing compared to its location in the RDX.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Take a closer look. Dunno what it does, but it kinda looks like there's a knob.

RDX has the power/volume knob with forward/back buttons next to the hazard warning flasher button near the top of the dash. The pic above has the hazard button alone so Acura probably moved the knob and buttons closer to where the driver keeps their right hand.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks like the new Android Auto interface is starting to roll out for real this time.

https://old.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto...oes_the_video/

Hopefully, Acura says something official soon. Otherwise, Headunit Reloaded should show the same update.
The following 2 users liked this post by pbsredrdx:
blexann (07-29-2019), omygod711 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 07:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pbsredrdx
Looks like the new Android Auto interface is starting to roll out for real this time.

https://old.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto...oes_the_video/

Hopefully, Acura says something official soon. Otherwise, Headunit Reloaded should show the same update.
oh crap, you mean we have been working for over a year to get android auto to work in the RDX, now a new one is released and we need to start development all over again 😟
Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tecwerks
oh crap, you mean we have been working for over a year to get android auto to work in the RDX, now a new one is released and we need to start development all over again 😟
Well at the most recent Google I/O, Google acknowledged that they were working on touchpad support along with the release of the new Android Auto interface. So hopefully, the release of the new interface means they updated it with touchpad support. All they said was by "Summer" was their release date so let's hope this was the hold up Acura was waiting on.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...play-interview

I mean with HeadUnit Reloaded it already works well. If it showed your finger location with a little dot cursor it would be more than usable. But as it stands right now, you kinda have to drag your finger along to know where it is in relation to the screen and therefore not really usable in a moving car.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pbsredrdx
Well at the most recent Google I/O, Google acknowledged that they were working on touchpad support along with the release of the new Android Auto interface. So hopefully, the release of the new interface means they updated it with touchpad support. All they said was by "Summer" was their release date so let's hope this was the hold up Acura was waiting on.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...play-interview

I mean with HeadUnit Reloaded it already works well. If it showed your finger location with a little dot cursor it would be more than usable. But as it stands right now, you kinda have to drag your finger along to know where it is in relation to the screen and therefore not really usable in a moving car.
I need to do the same finger drag at times with CarPlay as well.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:29 AM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Apparently Google's android auto update has started rolling out...

https://9to5google.com/2019/07/29/an...o-revamp-live/

HOPEFULLY out for the RDX soon - nothing stopping Acura now.!
Old 07-30-2019, 08:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jayb082
Apparently Google's android auto update has started rolling out...

https://9to5google.com/2019/07/29/an...o-revamp-live/

HOPEFULLY out for the RDX soon - nothing stopping Acura now.!
I hope it works out for you. However, given their track record with software updates and Apple CarPlay having issues since the 3rd gen release I have my doubts.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I have it, the touchpad support is either not there yet or needs additional code on the head unit side to work. If anyone interested, and have headunit reload, that's how I enable the new interface. Download the latest android auto from apk mirror (google it). Install the apk, then clear all the cache and storage in for the app in Android setting, then force close AA. When you reopen AA, you will go through setup again. Open setting in AA after setup, there will be an option to enable new interface.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by omygod711
I have it, the touchpad support is either not there yet or needs additional code on the head unit side to work. If anyone interested, and have headunit reload, that's how I enable the new interface. Download the latest android auto from apk mirror (google it). Install the apk, then clear all the cache and storage in for the app in Android setting, then force close AA. When you reopen AA, you will go through setup again. Open setting in AA after setup, there will be an option to enable new interface.
Does it work enough to navigate around? Would you say it's worth the effort to run thru all those steps to "hack" it and load Headunit reloaded? I'm very tempted to do it. Does Google Now work? If so, how do you initiate it - does it work with the steering wheel button?
Also do you have a pic of the new interface running on the RDX? would love to see how it really looks.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Does it work enough to navigate around? Would you say it's worth the effort to run thru all those steps to "hack" it and load Headunit reloaded? I'm very tempted to do it. Does Google Now work? If so, how do you initiate it - does it work with the steering wheel button?
Also do you have a pic of the new interface running on the RDX? would love to see how it really looks.
The "OLD" version worked just "fine" too. The problem RDX has with the "hack" is that you need to disable "Driver distraction" every time you start the ignition AND you will not see where your finger is on the screen. If you always do long drive (1 hour +) every time like me than it might worth the extra minute to get it running. As for the missing cursor, I started to have some muscle memory as to where my finger is on the touchpad in relationship to the screen. You can alway do a "press, hold, and drag" to see where your finger is.
Steering wheel button does not work. You need to use the on screen "microphone" button to activate google assistance. The mic does not work very well, I had to scream in the car for assistance to recognize me. However, phone call works perfectly.
jayb082 (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Racer

The "OLD" version worked just "fine" too. The problem RDX has with the "hack" is that you need to disable "Driver distraction" every time you start the ignition AND you will not see where your finger is on the screen. If you always do long drive (1 hour +) every time like me than it might worth the extra minute to get it running. As for the missing cursor, I started to have some muscle memory as to where my finger is on the touchpad in relationship to the screen. You can alway do a "press, hold, and drag" to see where your finger is.
Steering wheel button does not work. You need to use the on screen "microphone" button to activate google assistance. The mic does not work very well, I had to scream in the car for assistance to recognize me. However, phone call works perfectly.
Thanks for the info - other than that, it works ok? would you mind posting a pic? just wanted to see how it looks with the new look.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Good signs. I anticipate once it is available in the play store instead of an apk mirror that acura follows up shortly with an update. Lots of patient people waiting for this.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

The hack takes some work if you're not familiar with ADB. Otherwise, its just like any other Android device. The hardest part is installing the ADB drivers on your laptop if it isn't already installed and just having it recognize the headunit which I ran into some issues (fixed by using another laptop with USB 2.0 and older ADB drivers). You can find a lot of tutorials on how to install ADB drivers on your laptop on YouTube and then its just a matter of downloading the HeadUnit Reloaded apk and installing it via ADB commands after turning on developer options in the RDX headunit. Is it worth it? For short drives, it becomes a hassle turning off the Driver Distraction setting, waiting for the RDX headunit to load up, and then clicking on the screen to enter your destination. For long drives it is definitely worth it. For me, the Waze cop notifications are well worth the install and not having to use the outdated HERE maps.

The nice thing about this hack is that it isn't permanent as you're not installing the APK into a system folder so a factory reset should uninstall it or bring the RDX headunit back to stock if you need to reset. In other words, you can't really break the headunit even though they had a TSB for it which is hilarious. You could also easily uninstall the APK using ADB commands before bringing your car in for service if you're that paranoid about Acura voiding your warranty.

Steering buttons work for Next/Previous song selections. Mic button doesn't work as mentioned but you can hit it with the touchpad or say "Hey Google". There is some static interference when using the Google Assistant and maybe the developer for the app can fix it but it works you just have to scream really loud (You can hear this static when listening to your recordings on your account history).
Old 07-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
This whole saga is so sad. Acura owners in a $45K car have to hack around to have something that Honda offers on their $18K Fit. I'd be absolutely furious with the empty promises.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Not showing where I am in case Acura comes after me. J/K...

The following 3 users liked this post by omygod711:
Curious3GTL (08-09-2019), hockeyaddict (07-30-2019), superdeep (08-13-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 12:53 PM
Racer

Awesome - that looks sweet! Thanks for sharing! Really appreciate it! Definitely inspired me to do mine. I can always reset if needed.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Instructor

I think RDX owners might get AA on the 15th when they announce the new Type-S concepts because the new AA software just came out. It would be kind smart to say that a new update is out which now include AA, so the new AA function could get some media coverage too.

Last edited by WTF.Acura; 08-01-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Instructor

The AA Interface reminds me of the true touch pad interface.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
I think RDX owners might get AA on the 15th when they announce the new Type-S concepts because the new AA software just came out. It would be kind smart to say that a new update is out which now include AA, so the new AA function could get some media coverage too.
Doubtful. Google is rolling out the new AA over the next few weeks. Until it is fully launched and available in the play store, we shouldn't expect to see that update.

I also believe it is in their best interest to isolate an AA release from their Type S release. Less distraction as the focus should stay on the Type S release.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
I doubt the availability of AA (if ever) is important enough for Acura to mention it. Not having AA is not stopping people from buying the RDX. Which is a concern because it means they don't need it and might not want to spend the resource to complete it.
WTF.Acura (08-06-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Instructor

I doubt the availability of AA (if ever) is important enough for Acura to mention it. Not having AA is not stopping people from buying the RDX. Which is a concern because it means they don't need it and might not want to spend the resource to complete it.
Acura has been waiting for Google to release this new interface which provides support for widescreen interfaces and various input controls.

My guess is Apple decided to take the easy route and use the touchpad like a cursor. Google didn't want to go that route and decided to build for future compatibility. So they worked on this new version to support the various different screen sizes and input controls (touch screen, rotary knob, relative positioning, cursor touchpad, etc). There is a nice article written a few months back which a Google rep mentioned the high demand of AA and the challenges of how manufacturers have different screen sizes and input controls.

WTF.Acura (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tether

I recently switch to Samsung. I use my old iPhone and tether it to my galaxy to use apple car play. This way I dont have to take my phone out of my pocket. Still able to make and recieve call via bluetooth. Works for now till they update the system.
asdecorazones (08-06-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is my plan too, just a a FYI I have an Iphone 5to use. Audi owners are in the same boat with the touchpad it seems many cars are going to the touchpad due to the larger screen being set further away. I have an Alexa/Amazon Auto in my car and it works pretty well much better that the system in my 2020 RDX. I am always e bit embarrassed when my 50K car does not work as well or as quickly as my wife's 2019 Ford Fusion. The system is much more polished all around and has many more features, but my car has Adaptive suspension and adjustable drive settings as well as the HUD display, I do like my RDX but I don't love it like I did my Ford Flex with the twin turbo 3.5L engine. The gas mileage is a steady 18 MPG right now but hopefully will improve it is the same as what I was getting in my Flex.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Fred Flint
That is my plan too, just a a FYI I have an Iphone 5to use. Audi owners are in the same boat with the touchpad it seems many cars are going to the touchpad due to the larger screen being set further away.
I think more manufacturers are moving to a touchscreen now based on the most recent refreshes.

Ford - New Explorer is touchscreen
Mercedes - Latest MBUX is touchpad AND touchscreen
Audi - 2020 Q7 is now dual touchscreen like the Q8 and E Tron
Volvo - Touchscreen for a few years now
Lexus - New RX will have a touchscreen
Toyota - 2020 Highlander is touchscreen
Hyundai - New Palisade is touchscreen
Kia - New Telluride is touchscreen
GM - Touchscreens are included on the new Cadillac XT6 and Chevy Blazer.
Honda - Mostly touchscreen

Looking at the MDX/TLX leaks, Acura will be using True Touch on the new models.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
hope we get it soon!
Old 08-13-2019, 12:14 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
I tried the new AA on my other cars and it works really well. Can't wait until the RDX gets it.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So if I switch to an iPhone now, it would work with the current version? I am thinking of switching provider and maybe open to going back to the dark side .

TT
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tntrac
So if I switch to an iPhone now, it would work with the current version? I am thinking of switching provider and maybe open to going back to the dark side .

TT
Current version of what?

Quick Reply: Android Auto, wherefore art thou Android Auto