All-Season Tire Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
All-Season Tire Recommendations?

Just got a 22 RDX A Spec with 20-inch wheels.

The SH-AWD is great, but the stock tires are not.

My last vehicle was equipped with Vredestein Quatrac Pro which were absolutely incredible! My one and only complaint was the number of flats I got just due to their softness.

Tread-wear was great and at 30K miles they looked like new. They performed excellent in snow and wet weather.

Curious what the leading all-season recommendation is going to be
Old 12-15-2021, 11:14 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
This is the family/category of tires (Grand Touring All Season) similar to your previous Vredestein Quatrac Pro - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS and this is the Crossover/SUV Touring All Season family/category of tires - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=CSTAS
Old 12-15-2021, 11:28 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I went with Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive tires back in April and am very happy with them. I'm in New England, but wanted more of a quiet smooth riding all season tire. After 14,000 miles I'm happy with my choice. My kid just went with the Assurance WeatherReady tires because he wanted better snow performance on his front drive vehicle.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...e-comfortdrive
Old 12-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
I went with Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive tires back in April and am very happy with them. I'm in New England, but wanted more of a quiet smooth riding all season tire. After 14,000 miles I'm happy with my choice. My kid just went with the Assurance WeatherReady tires because he wanted better snow performance on his front drive vehicle.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...e-comfortdrive
I also went with the Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive about a month ago. I do notice these new tires absorb the road imperfections better than the OEM tires. I have a 19 Aspec that came with the Goodyear RSA’s.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:05 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
I put cross climate 2’s on my aspec and they are amazing, my last car i had goodyear weatherready n they were solid but not as comfortable as the cc2’s
The following users liked this post:
Newport, Ohio (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 02:52 PM
Blue is the new Black

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Type X
I put cross climate 2’s on my aspec and they are amazing, my last car i had goodyear weatherready n they were solid but not as comfortable as the cc2’s
Same here. I only have 1,000 miles on my CC2s but they have been nothing but impressive thus far.
Type X (12-15-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
I don't have the CC2s yet but everything I've read has convinced me that I should put them on my car come spring. Great technology leading to great all around performance. It's Europe's best selling tire and has been for years (in it's CC1 version)
Old 12-16-2021, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Michelin CC2
Old 12-16-2021, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with Pirelli scorpion all season plus 3. Fairly impressed with them. More quiet and smoother ride than the OE tires but not miraculous. I was a little concerned about the CC tread wear rating.

Last edited by Ih8honda; 12-16-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
Maybe not a popular choice because they are somewhat more expensive, but I STRONGLY recommend Continental ExtremeContact DWS06.

When I bought my 2015 BMW X3 it came with cancer run flat tires, so I did a lot of research and landed on these. They were great. The X3 had worn out the rear stock garbage tires in one season. The Contis lasted me the rest of the 3 years I had that car and still looked great and had significant tread left when I sold it.

When I picked up my 2020 RDX, I had the dealer fit the stock 19s with snow tires (because I hate the stock wheels on the top trim... ugh). I bought some lighter Enkei wheels and went with the same tires. After almost two years, the tread looks almost new, and they are so good that I still haven't put on my snow tires, 1.5 years later... The car handles so well, even on wet, and I give the tires credit for that. Compared to the stock garbage that the A-Spec comes with (as I experienced with a loaner) it's a whole different world.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:57 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Type X
Originally Posted by Newport, Ohio
Same here. I only have 1,000 miles on my CC2s but they have been nothing but impressive thus far.
Originally Posted by supafamous
I don't have the CC2s yet but everything I've read has convinced me that I should put them on my car come spring. Great technology leading to great all around performance. It's Europe's best selling tire and has been for years (in it's CC1 version)
Originally Posted by Yotrek
Michelin CC2
This seems to be the overwhelming consensus. My original Continentals are still performing pretty well after 26K but I'll probably switch to a set of Cross Climates before next winter.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:18 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
This seems to be the overwhelming consensus. My original Continentals are still performing pretty well after 26K but I'll probably switch to a set of Cross Climates before next winter.
Agree. These tires have received great reviews online, and members here that have purchased them are very happy. If we ever put enough miles on our RDX, the CC2's will be our choice. Perhaps just one of those lessons learned form my father in years past, but Michelin just makes great tires....and for what it's worth, the pictures shared on Acurazine of the CC2..well it's just a good looking tire for the car.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:36 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordster
Maybe not a popular choice because they are somewhat more expensive, but I STRONGLY recommend Continental ExtremeContact DWS06.

When I bought my 2015 BMW X3 it came with cancer run flat tires, so I did a lot of research and landed on these. They were great. The X3 had worn out the rear stock garbage tires in one season. The Contis lasted me the rest of the 3 years I had that car and still looked great and had significant tread left when I sold it.

When I picked up my 2020 RDX, I had the dealer fit the stock 19s with snow tires (because I hate the stock wheels on the top trim... ugh). I bought some lighter Enkei wheels and went with the same tires. After almost two years, the tread looks almost new, and they are so good that I still haven't put on my snow tires, 1.5 years later... The car handles so well, even on wet, and I give the tires credit for that. Compared to the stock garbage that the A-Spec comes with (as I experienced with a loaner) it's a whole different world.
I've been running Conti DSW 06's and now the Plus on MDX's and now my new A-Spec/Adv. Love these tires. They are quiet and ride nice. The stock RSA's are trash...always have been. They
started putting them on the '19 RDX, but, I pulled them before dealer delivery to me. They must have bought a cargo ship full of those. For years the Contis were rated #1 in it's category. Now Mich. and
a couple others have caught up, but, they are usually cheaper and just as good....IMHO...as the other's at the top. I switched to 19's from the 20's....so, my sidewall is now 50 instead of 45. That helps
the ride too. So; 255/50/19's are the same 29" diam. as the stock...255/45/20's. I did the same on the '19 A-Spec I had.
Ih8honda (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 06:52 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
So how does it work if you want to swap out the tires before delivery? Will the dealer give you credit for the RSA’s?
Old 12-17-2021, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ross7777
So how does it work if you want to swap out the tires before delivery? Will the dealer give you credit for the RSA’s?
Well, the dealer will do anything you convince them to… I was ready to sign a lease for a loaded RDX but I wanted it delivered with snow tires. They said it wasn’t possible. I asked them how much they charge for a set of the stock tires (lot$!) and how much the snow tires I was after would cost. Convinced them to take my brand new tires into their stock and sell me snows for $0 in exchange. It worked because I’m persuasive. YMMV.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:13 PM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
+1 for Michelin CrossClimates. Amazing, simply amazing.

Regards --------------
NooYawkuh (12-18-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TheLevelOne
+1 for Michelin CrossClimates. Amazing, simply amazing.

Regards --------------
I like to drive fast, spirited, how are they in dry / wet weather? Snow performance is a nice to have but not my primary consideration.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimmy_3024
I like to drive fast, spirited, how are they in dry / wet weather? Snow performance is a nice to have but not my primary consideration.
Well how spirited are we talking? If you liked the Quatrac Pro then the CrossClimate2 is in the same class of tire and is rated higher on Tire Rack and is generally considered the best in its class especially with dry handling (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...-Tyre-Test.htm). It's plenty adequate for most sporty drivers in a SUV.

I have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus on my A-Spec and despite my preference for sporty drivers I find it's not a great match to the RDX - bit too much road noise and a bit too firm in the 20" size (I'm also lowered though). Of course, there are a couple folks here who are very happy with that setup. Unless you're going to the Tail of the Dragon or similar the DWS06 has more than enough performance for this class of car.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:25 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Just got a 22 RDX A Spec with 20-inch wheels.

The SH-AWD is great, but the stock tires are not.

My last vehicle was equipped with Vredestein Quatrac Pro which were absolutely incredible! My one and only complaint was the number of flats I got just due to their softness.

Tread-wear was great and at 30K miles they looked like new. They performed excellent in snow and wet weather.

Curious what the leading all-season recommendation is going to be
Too bad about the issues with the Vredesteins that have you looking elsewhere. I put them on my wife's Subaru and saw the same positive performance characteristics: great all-season traction, decent handling, good wear, quiet, etc. Especially when factoring price, I'd buy them again without hesitation.

Last edited by DJA123; 12-18-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:48 PM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
I have over 700+ miles on mine now and have driven in all three conditions. I feel the CCSUVs I have on are the best all seasons I have ever driven, period. The stock Goodyear RS-A is junk IMHO. I can't believe I waited so long to change my tires.

Under "spirited" Sport+ dry conditions, I can finally push my RDX to it's/my limits. On the twisty backroads of PA, I was all smiles for many miles. Great feedback to the wheel throughout the ride. The SH-AWD really shows off.

Riding in the pouring rain on twisties and highway speeds (65+) they felt very solid and predicable. Never once did I detect any hydroplaning at all.

Only had about 2-3 inches of snow to drive on my last trip, but once again it was a great ride. Going up the mountain to our camp, I never took it out of Sport mode for the entire 2.5 mile run. I was that much fun. Coming down, I had the same experience.

As I said in my post, amazing. Can't wait to head back up to hunting camp after Christmas and enjoy myself again!

Regards ----------------
Type X (01-11-2022)
Old 12-19-2021, 08:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Which ones give the longest tread wear? Conti DWS are great for handling and rain driving, but how many miles can you put on them before you need new ones? Usually the ones that have better handling wear out faster, I am lately more interested in longer tread life rather than performance & handling.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:50 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Which ones give the longest tread wear? Conti DWS are great for handling and rain driving, but how many miles can you put on them before you need new ones? Usually the ones that have better handling wear out faster, I am lately more interested in longer tread life rather than performance & handling.
I'm just the opposite. Usually, either by tread design or rubber composition, longer life tires sacrifice some aspect of performance. Dry, wet, snow and even noise. Since I've gotten to a point in life where I can afford to replace tires more often, I prefer tires that are quieter, safer and perform better in all conditions. Tread life is lower on my list of priorities.
TheLevelOne (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 12:23 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

I agree. Tread life is the lowest priority as well. I assume most A/S tires are going to get 40 to 50K miles, and for me that's probably 8 to 10 years of driving.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
I agree. Tread life is the lowest priority as well. I assume most A/S tires are going to get 40 to 50K miles, and for me that's probably 8 to 10 years of driving.

There are many tires with good tread life that have better traction than some of those ultra high performance tires.
40-50k is good, but If I need new tires every 20-30k miles — I would not want those tires
Old 12-20-2021, 07:37 PM
Instructor

I’m at 25,000 kms and not even half way through the useful tread. I think I’ll get 60-70k kms, about 40k miles more or less. Seems acceptable to me for a tire that grips this well. In my experience the DWS06 work really well with shawd in the wet and also in the dry when pushing the car past 50%. Not the quietest ride but I kind of blame the 20” wheels and the cars general lack of sound insulation more than the tires. Not sure as I never ran the stock tires.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russianDude
I got about 100,000kms out of my set of DWS on my TSX and could have gone longer if I was willing to wear it down to 2/32". The CrossClimate2 is warrantied for 100,000km which is quite high for any tire.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by supafamous
I got about 100,000kms out of my set of DWS on my TSX and could have gone longer if I was willing to wear it down to 2/32". The CrossClimate2 is warrantied for 100,000km which is quite high for any tire.

which did you like better the CC2 or the DWS06+
Old 01-11-2022, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

which did you like better the CC2 or the DWS06+
Oh, I haven't gotten the CC2's yet. My plan is to swap them out come spring (I have winter tires) as everything I've seen and read about them suggests they're best all around tire for me.
TheLevelOne (01-12-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 02:06 AM
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
I have 10K miles on my Rav4 Prime with CC2's and the tire is exceptional, even in wear (which was my main concern). I have well over 400# of torque and the bias is very FWD. I rotated at 5K, and measured/rotated again at 10k. The tires all have 8/32 at present.
EFR (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 08:52 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I'm just the opposite. Usually, either by tread design or rubber composition, longer life tires sacrifice some aspect of performance. Dry, wet, snow and even noise. Since I've gotten to a point in life where I can afford to replace tires more often, I prefer tires that are quieter, safer and perform better in all conditions. Tread life is lower on my list of priorities.
Too bad I had to get old before I could reach that level. I wish I had been there while raising the family and owning my home.

Now, I am in a constant fight with my own frugality. But I am winning it.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 02-10-2022 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:28 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unobtanium
I have 10K miles on my Rav4 Prime with CC2's and the tire is exceptional, even in wear (which was my main concern). I have well over 400# of torque and the bias is very FWD. I rotated at 5K, and measured/rotated again at 10k. The tires all have 8/32 at present.
It seems like these comments on the CC2's are near unanimous. Must be some tire.. It is likely the replacement for our current ASpec
Old 02-10-2022, 09:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by EFR
It seems like these comments on the CC2's are near unanimous. Must be some tire.. It is likely the replacement for our current ASpec
I replaced the tires on my wife’s QX60 with CC2’s a year ago. They are fantastic. So I went ahead and had the dealer install CC2’s on my 2022 ASpec-Advance before taking delivery.
EFR (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 10:00 AM
Drifting

I replaced the tires on my wife’s QX60 with CC2’s a year ago. They are fantastic. So I went ahead and had the dealer install CC2’s on my 2022 ASpec-Advance before taking delivery.
what did they charge, and did they net out the stock tires?
Old 02-10-2022, 11:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
what did they charge, and did they net out the stock tires?
They gave me $400 for the GSA’s. I paid $600 out of pocket.
Madd Dog (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 12:40 PM
Drifting

They gave me $400 for the GSA’s. I paid $600 out of pocket.
worth it, IMO.