All New 2025 Q5/SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 202 Posts
All New 2025 Q5/SQ5

Car and Driver

All new platform for the Q5. Long overdue, and the exterior looks better, but the interior is disappointing. I'm really surprised Audi isn't offering the mild hybrid in North America. No hybrids at launch, but plug-in hybrid is releasing next year. Not clear if a conventional (non-plug-in) hybrid is coming. The SQ5 will be very quick and relatively efficient, but the transmission change won't be welcomed by everyone (myself included). A few pics in case you aren't interested enough to check out the article.

Q5

Q5

Q5

SQ5

SQ5

SQ5

SQ5

SQ5

The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
RDX10 (Yesterday), Shadow2056 (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 201 Posts
I was hoping the rear seat would get a bit bigger but from the reviews I've seen it's still the smallest in its class (along with the NX). Otherwise I like what's on offer here - I've had good experiences renting both A4 and A5s and like how they drive and the overall material and build quality. Too bad the PHEV isn't coming for a while - I'm only in the market for a hybrid or PHEV at this point.

I bet this one sells like crazy.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 598 Likes on 283 Posts
Love it. But what's this new thing of providing the passenger with screens? If you can't watch movies on it, it's pointless. They don't need to see the driver's information. Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Shadow2056:
HotRodW (09-02-2024), RDX10 (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Love it. But what's this new thing of providing the passenger with screens? If you can't watch movies on it, it's pointless. They don't need to see the driver's information. Lol
It's not visible to the driver when the car is in motion, so the passenger should be able to watch movies on it. It also makes it easier for them to access the car's infotainment features. I still say it's a waste, but I'm sure they'll sell plenty. Heaven forbid people don't have constant access to digital content of some sort.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
RDX10 (09-02-2024), Shadow2056 (09-03-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 904 Likes on 688 Posts
I actually really like the interior, I think the previous generation interior was really spartan and the weird random floating navigation screen really wasn't making a whole lot of sense to me, even when they made it a bit larger it still looked really out of place. I do like this latest trend of the dash screen being attached to the navigation screen.

On the other hand, can they PLEASE STOP WITH THE GOD DAMN PASSENGER SCREEN BULLSHIT! What have I missed? Why is everyone suddenly doing this? When did it become a necessity or a thing that everyone just does? In this application especially it looks terrible and like a complete afterthought. All I see is another thing to bug out and cause issues. God knows the Germans love to over-complicate things and that screen is just another layer of issues begging to happen.

The exterior styling I'm on the fence and need to see it in person for sure. The headlights give the impression that it's up to no good lol. It also looks like it might have real exhaust tips again which is a bonus. So yeah all in all not horrible.

That transmission change on the SQ5 is a mistake IMO. I've driven the current gen with the 7DCT numerous times and I am shocked that a luxury brand put out such a half baked transmission. Juttering at every stop, vibrating...etc. The 8AT was why I was looking at current gen SQ5's and not the standard one.
HotRodW (09-02-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 249 Posts
That is in a completely different price range and performance - mid-high $60K - some even in the low $70k's MSRP. Smart money is on a gently used SQ5 or RDX Aspec Advanced. Though the Acura won't compete head to head with the Audi SQ5 in performance, the Acura has more features for the $$$.

Plus, deal breaker for hot climates - is it does not have standard ventilated seats (a rare option - similar to the BMW X3 M40I). That is a must in 90+ degree days.
Old 09-03-2024, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
That is in a completely different price range and performance - mid-high $60K - some even in the low $70k's MSRP. Smart money is on a gently used SQ5 or RDX Aspec Advanced. Though the Acura won't compete head to head with the Audi SQ5 in performance, the Acura has more features for the $$$.

Plus, deal breaker for hot climates - is it does not have standard ventilated seats (a rare option - similar to the BMW X3 M40I). That is a must in 90+ degree days.
The current Q5 starts at $45k - just a tick higher than the RDX.
Old 09-03-2024, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
The current Q5 starts at $45k - just a tick higher than the RDX.
Put a few of those Audi option packages on it (as it come pretty - and you will see the price rise rapidly to the mid-upper $50K. The S Q5 is the one to have - similar to the BMW X3 M40i - those are a step up in performance to the RDX Aspec - wish Acura would bring out a Type S RDX to compete with them.

How does your Audi All-road compare to the RDX in performance and options?
Old 09-03-2024, 10:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,614 Likes on 972 Posts
My quick take:
  • Front looks hideous- that grill LMAO! Audi is lost and trying to reinvent themselves. Their previous grill was simply awesome!
  • Rear is good, remind me of the new GLC or MB in general
  • Interior:
    • Dashboard is horrible with 3 screens, Everything looks random. their designers and engineers just wanted to dump screens to look cool like Chinese EVs.
    • The gear selector/cupholders area look cheap
    • Steering looks decent
    • Seats looks great
    • Door panels look good
    • Engine choices are great and props to VW/Audi
Overall, Audi copied Kia and a bit MB....looks like MB married Kia = Audi Q5 is born

The "outdated" RDX looks classier and more coherent than this brand new 2025 Q5!
Old 09-03-2024, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
My quick take:
  • Front looks hideous- that grill LMAO! Audi is lost and trying to reinvent themselves. Their previous grill was simply awesome!
  • Rear is good, remind me of the new GLC or MB in general
  • Interior:
    • Dashboard is horrible with 3 screens, Everything looks random. their designers and engineers just wanted to dump screens to look cool like Chinese EVs.
    • The gear selector/cupholders area look cheap
    • Steering looks decent
    • Seats looks great
    • Door panels look good
    • Engine choices are great and props to VW/Audi
Overall, Audi copied Kia and a bit MB....looks like MB married Kia = Audi Q5 is born

The "outdated" RDX looks classier and more coherent than this brand new 2025 Q5!
I prefer old school analog gauges, but appreciate a big center screen for google maps or apple car play when on trips or navigating to a new place. However, Wait till all those new fancy screens in all MFG's have issues 10 years from now - that will be a pricey fix.
Tony Pac (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 05:40 PM
AZ Community Team

I prefer old school analog gauges, but appreciate a big center screen for google maps or apple car play when on trips or navigating to a new place. However, Wait till all those new fancy screens in all MFG's have issues 10 years from now - that will be a pricey fix.
I would have appreciated the big screen as well if it was done properly. But this looks like a few jokers got together and decided to put random size screens across the dash.

After seeing this, I got more respect for Kia

That said, +1 for RDX 🙌🏽
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have liked the Q5s for a long time now but their exterior styling is getting worse in my opinion. I appear to be an outlier here but I like the screens on the interior. I really like the interior in general, it's just too small.

I went to test drive a 2018-2020 Q5 when I was car shopping and was very surprised at how small the cargo area in the back was. I feel lucky that I test drove an RDX on a whim and here I am with mine today. The RDX isn't perfect but it's a great package compared to the others in the segment.
Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,438 Likes on 1,886 Posts
Originally Posted by Optical Toxin
I have liked the Q5s for a long time now but their exterior styling is getting worse in my opinion. I appear to be an outlier here but I like the screens on the interior. I really like the interior in general, it's just too small.

I went to test drive a 2018-2020 Q5 when I was car shopping and was very surprised at how small the cargo area in the back was. I feel lucky that I test drove an RDX on a whim and here I am with mine today. The RDX isn't perfect but it's a great package compared to the others in the segment.
I agree that the RDX has Honda’s DNA for excellent packaging and practicality. The TLX notwithstanding, these cars always felt a half-class larger inside than you would think from the exterior size.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 904 Likes on 688 Posts

In a straight line the Q5 has the RDX beat, but in the twisties I would probably give it to the RDX thanks to SH-AWD. The standard Q5 has a garbage slip and grip AWD system. The SQ5 is the only one with a real quattro system and I think the active rear diff is like $2500.

A similar specc'd Audi Q5 (non-S) to an RDX A-Spec Elite is about ~1-2K only....the inflation post covid has been astronomical.

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I would have appreciated the big screen as well if it was done properly. But this looks like a few jokers got together and decided to put random size screens across the dash.

After seeing this, I got more respect for Kia

That said, +1 for RDX 🙌🏽
This is my major issue with it, the weird mismatched screens are an enormous eye-sore.

Last edited by RDX10; Yesterday at 05:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by RDX10
In a straight line the Q5 has the RDX beat, but in the twisties I would probably give it to the RDX thanks to SH-AWD. The standard Q5 has a garbage slip and grip AWD system. The SQ5 is the only one with a real quattro system and I think the active rear diff is like $2500.

A similar specc'd Audi Q5 (non-S) to an RDX A-Spec Elite is about ~1-2K only....the inflation post covid has been astronomical.

This is my major issue with it, the weird mismatched screens are an enormous eye-sore.
Audi was always classy and beautiful. Maybe less popular in Americas compared to BMW and MB but they have their clientele. But this new design (front grill) and interior screen just ruined the car! Sad!
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 96 Posts
I’ve admired the Q5’s styling for years, but this seems like a step back. Low effort interior design. And what’s with German companies putting that weird mouth on the bumper? Shades of BMW’s M sport SUVs.