3rd Gen RDX vs 1st Gen -- still as fun to drive? still reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd Gen RDX vs 1st Gen -- still as fun to drive? still reliable?

I know this is a very subjective question -- and may not be exactly apples to apples (heck, it may be polarizing) -- but for those who have owned (not just test driven) 1st Gen and 3rd Gen RDX's, a couple of questions --

a) How different is the driving experience - is the 3rd Gen as "fun" to drive as the 1st Gen? Zippy? Stiff suspension that makes handling on curves fantastic? Or a little "boaty"?

I ask bec the 2nd gen, having no turbo but a 6 cyl, kinda lost that zippy feeling - again I know it's subjective but having borrowed a 2nd gen of a relative for quite a bit of time when they went on a 6 month vacation before - preferred driving the 1st gen, biased opinion -- of course)

b) Reliability so far? Same build quality? I recognize it's still "early days" but for those having owned it for at least 1-2 yrs, there might be enough personal experience.

Many thanks!

Old 05-08-2022, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by acura1972
I know this is a very subjective question -- and may not be exactly apples to apples (heck, it may be polarizing) -- but for those who have owned (not just test driven) 1st Gen and 3rd Gen RDX's, a couple of questions --

a) How different is the driving experience - is the 3rd Gen as "fun" to drive as the 1st Gen? Zippy? Stiff suspension that makes handling on curves fantastic? Or a little "boaty"?

I ask bec the 2nd gen, having no turbo but a 6 cyl, kinda lost that zippy feeling - again I know it's subjective but having borrowed a 2nd gen of a relative for quite a bit of time when they went on a 6 month vacation before - preferred driving the 1st gen, biased opinion -- of course)

b) Reliability so far? Same build quality? I recognize it's still "early days" but for those having owned it for at least 1-2 yrs, there might be enough personal experience.

Many thanks!

Hey, I moved from 2008 RDX to 2020 RDX. 3rd gen is fun to drive, if you love turbo kick, 3rd gen has it much better than 1st. The suspension on my ASPEC is pretty tight, I would say its stiff and if you like 1st gen being stiff suspension, you will like it. I wanted to buy 2nd gen RDX, but did not like it, glad I waited for 3rd gen.

Reliability? I think if you get 2022 almost all kicks are worked out, the prior generation has number of TSBs that you can have done. Over all I am happy, yes, there are complaints of course, but over all its nice.