3G RDX Ground Clearnace only 5.7"??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 12:14 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
3G RDX Ground Clearnace only 5.7"??

Is it true that the 2021/2020 3G Acura RDX only has a ground clearance of 5.7"?

If so, that is really bad for an SUV and less than the current 2020 Acura TLX ground clearance of 5.9"

I recall the previous 2G RDX has a respectable 8.2" ground clearance and so does the current Honda CRV.

Is the ground clearance really that bad on the current RDX??
Old 07-28-2020, 01:03 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
you're not looking at the bigger picture.
the RDX is not a rock crawler, not a ladder on frame, not any of those things.

it's a sporty CUV aimed at sportiness and not off road capabilities. While it does have a higher ride, than let's say a sedan...the purpose of the RDX is not to jump curbs and go off-roading.
the purpose of this vehicle is to bring the sportiness back to acura, as it has a rocket turbo-4. it has the stiffest chassis of any Acura suv's...not to rock climb, for stability in high speed maneuvers.

That is why it's not as high as you would like.

and thus why there are other options on the market for what you want and need.

Last edited by justnspace; 07-28-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
you're not looking at the bigger picture.
the RDX is not a rock crawler, not a ladder on frame, not any of those things.

it's a sporty CUV aimed at sportiness and not off road capabilities. While it does have a higher ride, than let's say a sedan...the purpose of the RDX is not to jump curbs and go off-roading.
the purpose of this vehicle is to bring the sportiness back to acura, as it has a rocket turbo-4. it has the stiffest chassis of any Acura suv's...not to rock climb, for stability in high speed maneuvers.

That is why it's not as high as you would like.

and thus why there are other options on the market for what you want and need.
5.7" is very low for an SUV, about average for sedans. The previous 2G RDX and current CRV are at least 8". The current Audi Q5 is also at least 8". That is disappointing. I live in a place with bad roads and frequent torrential downpours.

I actually really like the 2G RDX as a good all around vehicle for its price. The 3G seems like it does specific things really well but while sacrificing things I previously took for granted in an Acura RDX.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:17 PM

^okay, then there are other products that matches your wants and needs.
The RDX is obviously NOT for you, and That's okay!

Because the RDX is a sporty SUV not meant to have high ground clearance.
If you want something that has high ground clearance, there are many many many suv's out there that will fit your bill
Old 07-28-2020, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016

I actually really like the 2G RDX as a good all around vehicle for its price. The 3G seems like it does specific things really well but while sacrificing things I previously took for granted in an Acura RDX.
actually, Acura as a brand has always been sporty. with the 2nd gen RDX, they lost their way....and conformed to soccer moms and softened the RDX up.
with the return of the 3rd gen RDX, Acura has now chosen a clear path for the future...SPORTINESS and not comfort for soccer moms

that's why this segment is full of competition...because there is something for everyone....perhaps an offering from a different brand floats your boat more?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:28 PM
Racer

^okay, then there are other products that matches your wants and needs.
The RDX is obviously NOT for you, and That's okay!

Because the RDX is a sporty SUV not meant to have high ground clearance.
If you want something that has high ground clearance, there are many many many suv's out there that will fit your bill
I really WANTED to like Acura. I've been a loyal Acura owner for 13 years owning 3 different Acura vehicles. I don't like the new direction of Acura.

I'm not sure where to turn, as I really liked vehicles that were better all around (performance, luxury, NVH, audio) than a mainstream brand but still a relatively good practical value compared to German. Lexus doesn't do it for me. Lexus vehicles are comfortable and quiet, which I like and appreciate, but the performance is sooo SLOW for such an expensive vehicle (I look for vehicles 0-60 in the 5.7-6.2s range).

I love the direction of Audi. Unfortunately I don't want a money pit and don't want to spend lots of time in the shop. I'm also a "Boglehead" if you know what that means, but I appreciated the better all around performance and value of what Acura used to be over a mainstream brand.

Now it seems they are moving to lower/wide vehicles to juice performance at the expense of luxury and practicality (higher NVH, lower ground clearances, harder to fit in garages).

Ive been loyal to Acura for years, now I honestly have no clue where to look. I really like Audi, but I HATE wasting money and like a good value.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:49 PM
Racer

actually, Acura as a brand has always been sporty. with the 2nd gen RDX, they lost their way....and conformed to soccer moms and softened the RDX up.
with the return of the 3rd gen RDX, Acura has now chosen a clear path for the future...SPORTINESS and not comfort for soccer moms

that's why this segment is full of competition...because there is something for everyone....perhaps an offering from a different brand floats your boat more?
When we talk about sporty, I'd say sporty feel/perception and not necessarily actual performance. The 3G RDX would be more fun to drive on a twisty mountain road, but I will never use it like that given where I live.

I thought the 2G RDX actually had better performance, in terms of straight line 0-60 and passing power, which I'd use multiple times every day for my use cases.

I live in suburban Texas. Flat straight roads with lots of rain, road debris, trucks, and concrete highways.

Honestly I have no clue what to get. Its next to impossible to find a decent CPO '18 RDX Advance.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 07-28-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:29 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Where did you hear that the RDX has 5.7” of ground clearance? A quick trip to Acura’s website will show that it has 8.2” of ground clearance
The following 3 users liked this post by pnoi521:
B25Nut (07-29-2020), vkamnyev (07-28-2020), Waetherman (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,442 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I really WANTED to like Acura. I've been a loyal Acura owner for 13 years owning 3 different Acura vehicles. I don't like the new direction of Acura.

I'm not sure where to turn, as I really liked vehicles that were better all around (performance, luxury, NVH, audio) than a mainstream brand but still a relatively good practical value compared to German. Lexus doesn't do it for me. Lexus vehicles are comfortable and quiet, which I like and appreciate, but the performance is sooo SLOW for such an expensive vehicle (I look for vehicles 0-60 in the 5.7-6.2s range).

I love the direction of Audi. Unfortunately I don't want a money pit and don't want to spend lots of time in the shop. I'm also a "Boglehead" if you know what that means, but I appreciated the better all around performance and value of what Acura used to be over a mainstream brand.

Now it seems they are moving to lower/wide vehicles to juice performance at the expense of luxury and practicality (higher NVH, lower ground clearances, harder to fit in garages).

Ive been loyal to Acura for years, now I honestly have no clue where to look. I really like Audi, but I HATE wasting money and like a good value.
First of all, where did you see ground clearance is 5.8"? I'm pretty sure it's over 8".

Secondly, you want performance, luxury, NVH, and audio, all with a lower price tag? You do realize that Acura has never been all those things... Old Acura was average performance, average luxury, terrible NVH, good audio, and a low price tag. New Acura is better performance, better luxury, better NVH, good audio, and still a low price tag. Seems to me like New Acura checks more boxes than Old Acura. If you ignore some of the build quality / early reliability issues (that's what the warranty is for), it's heads and shoulders better than the 1G and 2G RDX in almost all facets (except maybe straight-line performance).

Lastly, if you want less NVH and more luxury, the car will inherently weigh more. If you want more straight-line speed even with that weight, you're going to need a more powerful engine. If you want a more powerful engine, it'll likely be less reliable and more of a "money pit". And with all those things, you have to pay more. It's already a miracle as it is that Acura is able to sell the RDX for as cheap as it does. I doubt you'll find that kind of value anywhere else. Maybe the Mazda CX-5 Turbo. Perhaps that car would be more up your alley?
Old 07-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pnoi521
Where did you hear that the RDX has 5.7” of ground clearance? A quick trip to Acura’s website will show that it has 8.2” of ground clearance
Wow.. you're absolutely right, it is showing 8.2" GC at least for the 2021. Was there a change from 2019/2020 to 2021 MY?

Google search "Acura RDX Ground Clearance" and you'll see the 5.7". It looks like 2020 was only 5.7"

Well 8.2" is certainly good enough for me if Acura indeed corrected this. I don't need an regular off roader but having a few extra inches over a sedan helps.

Please check out my other thread for road noise. That is the other issue that bothered me. I otherwise like the fit and feel of the cabin and newer technology. However the road noise is terrible - I don't understand what went wrong there. Appreciate a response to that thread.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fiatlux
First of all, where did you see ground clearance is 5.8"? I'm pretty sure it's over 8".

Secondly, you want performance, luxury, NVH, and audio, all with a lower price tag? You do realize that Acura has never been all those things... Old Acura was average performance, average luxury, terrible NVH, good audio, and a low price tag. New Acura is better performance, better luxury, better NVH, good audio, and still a low price tag. Seems to me like New Acura checks more boxes than Old Acura. If you ignore some of the build quality / early reliability issues (that's what the warranty is for), it's heads and shoulders better than the 1G and 2G RDX in almost all facets (except maybe straight-line performance).

Lastly, if you want less NVH and more luxury, the car will inherently weigh more. If you want more straight-line speed even with that weight, you're going to need a more powerful engine. If you want a more powerful engine, it'll likely be less reliable and more of a "money pit". And with all those things, you have to pay more. It's already a miracle as it is that Acura is able to sell the RDX for as cheap as it does. I doubt you'll find that kind of value anywhere else. Maybe the Mazda CX-5 Turbo. Perhaps that car would be more up your alley?
Was looking at the following:
2021 RDX SHAWD Advance
2020 Audi Q5 Premius Plus or Prestige
Mazda CX-5 Signature with aftermarket Focal audio
2020/2021 Subaru Outback XT Touring, possibly with aftermarket Focal audio
Volvo XC60 - not sure what combo
2018 CPO Acura RDX Advance FWD or AWD

Old 07-28-2020, 06:46 PM
Racer

Was looking at the following:
2021 RDX SHAWD Advance
2020 Audi Q5 Premius Plus or Prestige
Mazda CX-5 Signature with aftermarket Focal audio
2020/2021 Subaru Outback XT Touring, possibly with aftermarket Focal audio
Volvo XC60 - not sure what combo
2018 CPO Acura RDX Advance FWD or AWD
Well cross the Volvo off the list - the XC60 is so expensive!! It needs the T6 Inscription plus several options to be competitive with the RDX. That is pushing close to $60k MSRP. The base T5 performance is terrible - as bad as Lexus! The Audi Q5 is MUCH cheaper than the Volvo and the Volvo T6 performs no better than the Acura RDX. The Audi outperforms both.

Realistically it's down to Acura RDX SHAWD Advance or the Audi Q5 PP or Prestige.

Two questions:
1) Can you get upgraded Audi audio on the Q5 PP or do you need to get the Prestige?
2) With the Acura RDX, is there a way to have aftermarket sound insulation professionally installed, without violating warranty for anything (only pull up the carpet and add insulation, not touching anything powertrain, mechanical, or electronic related) If so, what is used for current TLX and RLX insulation? What products are used and how is it applied?

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 07-28-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Wow.. you're absolutely right, it is showing 8.2" GC at least for the 2021. Was there a change from 2019/2020 to 2021 MY?

Google search "Acura RDX Ground Clearance" and you'll see the 5.7". It looks like 2020 was only 5.7"

Well 8.2" is certainly good enough for me if Acura indeed corrected this. I don't need an regular off roader but having a few extra inches over a sedan helps.

Please check out my other thread for road noise. That is the other issue that bothered me. I otherwise like the fit and feel of the cabin and newer technology. However the road noise is terrible - I don't understand what went wrong there. Appreciate a response to that thread.
That comes from Auto Blog. Maybe that's not the most robust source of specifications, or any other data.

And no, it didn't change from 2019 to 2020. And it probably won't change for 2021.
The following users liked this post:
Waetherman (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Hold up...this whole discussion revolves around unconfirmed ground clearance numbers.

Do I need to grab a measuring tape to verify this?

Last edited by Ludepower; 07-28-2020 at 07:15 PM.
justnspace (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ludepower
Hold up...this whole discussion revolves around unconfirmed ground clearance numbers.

The GC issue has been resolved. I started a new thread on the other issue that really bothers me about the current 3G RDX: unacceptably high road noise.

Again I otherwise really like the vehicle. It's so disappointing when there's one major dealbreaker issue (NVH and road noise is a huge issue for me). It is extremely disappointing to have to pay many thousands more for German when all that is needed is a couple hundred in better sound isolation/insulation.

However I'd rather pay $5k more and actually enjoy the vehicle than feel pain and constant disappointment for feeling ripped off for a vehicle that sounds like a cheap previous generation CRV!! However RDX would be SO MUCH BETTER value if they just fixed that area.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 07-28-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
This topic is about ground clearance which you got wrong.

You sound like a broken record with your road noise complaint. Move on up to Germans and lexus my dude.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pnoi521
You need to up your Google search game my dude. It’s always been 8.2”. Very first google result:

I originally Googled "2020 Acura RDX Ground Clearance". I didn't know 2021 was available until today. But yes the GC is good. If we can improve the road noise issue we may have a winner.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Move on up to Germans and lexus my dude.
"Move on up to cars that you need to immediately get rid of after the warranty expires before you go bankrupt."
Old 07-28-2020, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
40+ years working in the industry and here are some rules you learn:

1) There are no perfect cars. 1a) Even if there was a perfect car one will love it and another not.
2) All cars are a series of compromises. Even a million dollar hand built super sports car has compromises.
3) You can never please everyone. (See rule 1a)
4) What one finds objectionable another will not even be aware of.

My professional advice to those who ask me (and I get asked a lot) what is the "best" car....my response is: "Whatever suits your tastes and meets your needs:. Certain some cars are better than others, data supports that, but in the end the best vehicle is one that best meets your needs and has features that appeal to you AND has a price you are willing to pay." In the end that price thing makes the final decision for a lot of people. You can wish a vehicle was faster, smoother, quieter or could haul more but as the saying goes, "It is what it is". If you like it, buy it. If you find it falls short of your wants and needs then you should look else where.
markm929 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 08:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DriverOne
"Move on up to cars that you need to immediately get rid of after the warranty expires before you go bankrupt."
How much are the extended warranties for a Q5? That would tell you the risk, not that I'd get one.

Acura Care is what, ~$2-3k (negotiated) for 7 year/120k mile for an RDX Advance?
Old 07-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Drifting

How much are the extended warranties for a Q5? That would tell you the risk, not that I'd get one.

Acura Care is what, ~$2-3k (negotiated) for 7 year/120k mile for an RDX Advance?
Don't look at 3rd-party "extended warranties" unless you're prepared to parse the innumerable exclusions and "consumables". And you might want to factor in maintenance costs and cost of parts for DIY if you're so inclined.

I think there's a reason leasing is a popular option for the German brands.

And since I tend to buy and hold, there's a reason I have been reluctant to go that route. But some of those vehicles are pretty seductive, so maybe someday I will stray. The real problem is I would have to get one for my wife first to avoid a nasty custody battle.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:29 PM
Drifting

6 inches is average. Relax.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:46 AM

the one thing I like about AcuraGuy is he is taking these suggestions with stride!
I immediately knew from his very first post, the RDX wasnt for him,however we're still here

sounds like he's leaning hard towards the audi, which is great! and no harm to us at all.
If I could afford new cars, the RDX would be like 3rd or 4th...not my first pick!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:20 AM
Racer

the one thing I like about AcuraGuy is he is taking these suggestions with stride!
I immediately knew from his very first post, the RDX wasnt for him,however we're still here

sounds like he's leaning hard towards the audi, which is great! and no harm to us at all.
If I could afford new cars, the RDX would be like 3rd or 4th...not my first pick!
I'm honestly right back to square one. I have no clue what to get, which is extremely disappointing.

The Audi Q5 was promising, and reliability had been improving, relative to Audi with the previous Q5. Then with the 2018 MY Audi shifted production to Mexico. I visited the Audi forums. Lots of issues and problems with parts that I have never given thoughts on - in brand new vehicles. Owners of brand new cars waiting weeks for a part to be made and shipped from Germany. Of course this is all under warranty for now, but owners who just dropped $50k on a brand new Audi are driving loaners waiting weeks for very specific parts from Germany. They are saying outside warranty it would cost $3k to replace a simple part (price of transmission work on a normal vehicle!!!) and the work and parts are so specific and labor intensive it has to be done by an Audi dealership.

The GC is not an issue in the current RDX. It was a typo that indeed did show up on a Google search for "2020 Acura RDX Ground Clearance". Thanks for the posters for cleaning this up.

In fact I'm still considering the RDX if 1) Acura adds more sound insulation for the 2022 MY MMC or 2) There are professional installers who can add insulation to key areas of the current RDX that are severaly lacking (floormat and wheel well area) that will NOT VIOLATE the WARRANTY.

But honestly, at this point, I have no idea what to get. Everything out there seems to have a dealbreaker in what I am willing to pay. This is actually depressing. I don't have a clue what to do.

I am willing to pay into the low/mid $50k, but I do not want to spend multiple visits at the dealer fixing an unreliable vehicle and have a post warranty money pit nightmare, which the new Audi clearly appears to be. I like to keep most vehicles for 7-9 years to 100-150k miles.

I also don't want a noisy vehicle with terrible road noise. I have one now and I HATE that.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 07-29-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:24 AM

sound deadening will not void warranty.

and like another poster stated; you wont get a perfect car. there has to be some trade offs. which is tough to spend $50k on...
Old 07-29-2020, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts

Yes.

I always take a measuring tape when I look for cars.

Ground clearance, real height, mirror to mirror width, (for garage fitment). Size of hatch/trunk opening, narrowest interior width, shortest length with seats up and down, etc.

The salesmen sometimes look at me like I’m crazy, but I don’t care. I want to know all the specs, the real-world ones.

I take the tape measure with me to lots of places I shop.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
AcuraGuy2016 (07-29-2020), justnspace (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 08:41 AM
Racer

sound deadening will not void warranty.

and like another poster stated; you wont get a perfect car. there has to be some trade offs. which is tough to spend $50k on...
What is so hard for me is that I am comparing to my other vehicle - our family vehicle, which is an MDX Sport Hybrid Tech. To me that is an incredible value for what it is. It hits every point I care about. No dealbreakers whatsoever.

I could live with the RDX if the road noise was improved. I could live with the current TLX as it stands now, but prefer a "compact-small mid" (but not subcompact) SUV. I could live with a CPO 2018 RDX Advance in good condition.

My point is if others notice the noise, unless they contact Acura, Acura will be clueless to the issue unless they are made aware of it. They could EASILY fix this in the MMC, if the decision makers are made aware of it and act on it. If we don't tell them, nothing will get done.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

What is so hard for me is that I am comparing to my other vehicle - our family vehicle, which is an MDX Sport Hybrid Tech. To me that is an incredible value for what it is. It hits every point I care about. No dealbreakers whatsoever.

I could live with the RDX if the road noise was improved. I could live with the current TLX as it stands now, but prefer a "compact-small mid" (but not subcompact) SUV. I could live with a CPO 2018 RDX Advance in good condition.

My point is if others notice the noise, unless they contact Acura, Acura will be clueless to the issue unless they are made aware of it. They could EASILY fix this in the MMC, if the decision makers are made aware of it and act on it. If we don't tell them, nothing will get done.
Given how focused you are on the NVH aspect, I don't think I would recommend the RDX. Quality control / build quality hasn't exactly been the greatest, and those can easily turn into annoyances if the dealership isn't able to (or refuses to) address them. Mechanically it doesn't affect the car (similar to NVH) but random rattles, squeaks, pops, etc. add up. It's like death by a thousand papercuts.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:48 AM
Racer

Given how focused you are on the NVH aspect, I don't think I would recommend the RDX. Quality control / build quality hasn't exactly been the greatest, and those can easily turn into annoyances if the dealership isn't able to (or refuses to) address them. Mechanically it doesn't affect the car (similar to NVH) but random rattles, squeaks, pops, etc. add up. It's like death by a thousand papercuts.
What vehicle do you recommend? Seriously, are automakers becoming cheap, charging more and pushing low QC products? That type of work product would get me fired.

Am I better off getting a current TLX or CPO RDX Advance? I have no idea what else to consider. I don't need a rocket, but like at least a reasonable 0-60 (5.7- 6.2s range). That eliminates the painfully slow Lexus.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:51 AM
Safety Car

What vehicle do you recommend? Seriously, are automakers becoming cheap, charging more and pushing low QC products? That type of work product would get me fired.

Am I better off getting a current TLX or CPO RDX Advance? I have no idea what else to consider. I don't need a rocket, but like at least a reasonable 0-60 (5.7- 6.2s range). That eliminates the painfully slow Lexus.
I know you already said you didn't want a Lexus, but really that might be the best option if you want something reliable, relatively value oriented, and with high build quality / QC + an outstanding service experience should you need to get something fixed. Sure it isn't as performance oriented, but if you aren't willing to trade off on value and reliability that's pretty much the only option.

Also, if your expectation is 5.7-6.2 0-60, hate to break it to you but the RDX falls outside of that range. Methinks you'd be better of test driving some of the cars before dismissing them purely based on magazine numbers.

Another thing to consider; if you're cross-shopping between a TLX and RDX, are you actually looking for a crossover? Maybe something like a CPO GS350 would be a better choice.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-29-2020 at 08:55 AM.
justnspace (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Racer

I know you already said you didn't want a Lexus, but really that might be the best option if you want something reliable, relatively value oriented, and with high build quality / QC + an outstanding service experience should you need to get something fixed. Sure it isn't as performance oriented, but if you aren't willing to trade off on value and reliability that's pretty much the only option.

Also, if your expectation is 5.7-6.2 0-60, hate to break it to you but the RDX falls outside of that range. Methinks you'd be better of test driving some of the cars before dismissing them purely based on magazine numbers.

Another thing to consider; if you're cross-shopping between a TLX and RDX, are you actually looking for a crossover? Maybe something like a CPO GS350 would be a better choice.
RDX falls just out of my preferred performance range. 6.5s is disappointing, but is not a deal breaker. For the few times I need to use it, I can put it in Sport Plus and floor it and it will more or less do what I need it to do. That would be the same solution for the TLX quirky transmission which has been much improved.

Lexus has 0-60 of 7.7s on a much more expensive vehicle!! That is slightly worse than a CRV!! No matter what I do the Lexus will not perform as needed. 7.7s is a deal breaker. Not to mention the RX is ugly as heck, and styling is not generally a major issue to me. Q5, RDX, old RDX styling all acceptable to me.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:21 AM
Drifting

RDX falls just out of my preferred performance range. 6.5s is disappointing, but is not a deal breaker. For the few times I need to use it, I can put it in Sport Plus and floor it and it will more or less do what I need it to do. That would be the same solution for the TLX quirky transmission which has been much improved.

Lexus has 0-60 of 7.7s on a much more expensive vehicle!! That is slightly worse than a CRV!! No matter what I do the Lexus will not perform as needed desired. 7.7s is a deal breaker. Not to mention the RX is ugly as heck, and styling is not generally a major issue to me. Q5, RDX, old RDX styling all acceptable to me.
Fixed that for you.

Unless you plan to spend your days at a race track, maybe you should drive some of the cars on your list and stop obsessing over magazine specs. ( Been there, done that; I'm trying really hard to quit... ). The numbers won't tell you if the car feels like a slush bucket or handles like a Lotus. Or if it rattles like a tin can.

In the real world, responsiveness and predictability of the drivetrain are usually more important than raw power.

And if you want maximum performance for minimum cost, you don't want an SUV. Any SUV. Full stop.

Be bold and buck the trend. Maybe even go electric if you really crave acceleration. That's the next trend.

$0.02
Old 07-29-2020, 11:13 AM
Banned

I'm honestly right back to square one. I have no clue what to get
Acura RDX
Old 07-29-2020, 11:15 AM
Banned

I'm not sure why people care that much about a 0-60 time in an SUV. Like are people street racing after picking up their groceries or something?
Old 07-29-2020, 11:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DriverOne
I'm not sure why people care that much about a 0-60 time in an SUV. Like are people street racing after picking up their groceries or something?
I don't need a rocket, but I drive a certain way at certain times and a ~6s 0-60 is my preference, which is territory of current MDX, TLX, and Q5. 6.5s, which is tolerable, is the RDX. That is the same as Subaru Outback XT Touring.

Lexus is 7.7s. I havent owned a vehicle that slow since I was in college. I test drove many vehicles that slow and I HATED it. While low 5s are fun, I really would not utilize performance capability of a sub 6 vehicle the way I drive, but I do use and enjoy the difference on a low 6s vehicle.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

FYI you should probably look at 5-60 numbers instead of 0-60. Unless you plan on using launch control or brake torquing at every stoplight, the former is going to be way more indicative of real world straight-line speed. Otherwise you risk being disappointed when the car doesn't actually feel as fast as the 0-60 numbers might lead you to believe (STI I'm looking at you).
Old 07-29-2020, 12:04 PM
Racer

FYI you should probably look at 5-60 numbers instead of 0-60. Unless you plan on using launch control or brake torquing at every stoplight, the former is going to be way more indicative of real world straight-line speed. Otherwise you risk being disappointed when the car doesn't actually feel as fast as the 0-60 numbers might lead you to believe (STI I'm looking at you).
Thanks. Which vehicles have good 5-60 numbers?

For reference, vehicles I'm familiar with that have level of acceleration performance I like are:
- current gen TLX V6 post MMC
- previous gen Honda Accord V6
- current gen MDX
- previous gen 2G Acura RDX
Old 07-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Thanks. Which vehicles have good 5-60 numbers?

For reference, vehicles I'm familiar with that have level of acceleration performance I like are:
- current gen TLX V6 post MMC
- previous gen Honda Accord V6
- current gen MDX
- previous gen 2G Acura RDX
Look up the Car and Driver reviews. They are the only ones to consistently report both 0-60 and 5-60 numbers. Here’s an explanation for why this is important: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-car...ir-0-60-times/
Old 07-29-2020, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
From Acura.com website for 2020 RDX....

Old 07-29-2020, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
If dampening the cabin noise has such a great bearing on choice for you, I'd recommend finding a reputable stereo shop in your area and having them install deadening on the door skins, floor board and possibly the fender area for you. They perform these installs on a regular basis for high end stereo installs to ensure outside noise doesn't interfere and also to firm up parts of the car to eliminate rattles when turned up.
JB in AZ (07-29-2020)

Quick Reply: 3G RDX Ground Clearnace only 5.7"??