2022 MDX Prototype Interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020 | 06:31 PM
Instructor

2022 MDX Prototype Interior

I can't tell from the photos whether it has a touchpad or not.. I love the digital gauge cluster.

Old 10-08-2020 | 06:52 PM
Drifting

I'm pretty sure the touchpad is there in the slightly blurry part. I can make out the hand rest to the left of the cupholders.
Old 10-08-2020 | 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

It does.
Old 10-08-2020 | 07:44 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Touchpad is there, clear as day. Interior looks good. Hopefully the power train is a nice surprise too. I’m hearing it won’t be the same 2.0T in everything else. Perhaps a de-tuned version of the 3.0T V6?
Old 10-08-2020 | 08:21 PM
Racer

Looks awesome. Love the ambient lighting and that digital dash should be in a mid cycle refresh for the RDX.
Old 10-08-2020 | 08:35 PM
Retired Geezer

Enjoy
Old 10-08-2020 | 08:59 PM
Drifting

It may have some nice features. It should. At the price point above the RDX. It is too big for my needs or tastes.
Old 10-08-2020 | 10:47 PM
Safety Car

I love how they cleared out more space on the center console by pushing the shifter buttons further up, and made use of the room around the drive mode dial. One of my biggest gripes about the RDX is how inefficiently they used the space around those two things.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020 | 12:20 AM

Actually, anyone notice the ‘Power Meter’ gauge on the left of the gauge “cluster?” Pretty sure this is a nice hint that this is going to be a hybrid! Thoughts?
OtownPSU (10-12-2020)
Old 10-09-2020 | 01:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leomio85
Actually, anyone notice the ‘Power Meter’ gauge on the left of the gauge “cluster?” Pretty sure this is a nice hint that this is going to be a hybrid! Thoughts?
This is a good guess. Ikeda hinted that electrification is happening soon at Acura, and MDX is a good candidate due to the higher starting price. Standard hybrid 3.0 V6 would sound sweet to me.
Old 10-09-2020 | 08:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by leomio85
Touchpad is there, clear as day. Interior looks good. Hopefully the power train is a nice surprise too. I’m hearing it won’t be the same 2.0T in everything else. Perhaps a de-tuned version of the 3.0T V6?
I imagine you’re hearing correctly. Reports are that the new MDX is bigger, so probably far too chonky for a the 2.0T.

I’d speculate that the new MDX will only be offered with a V6 hybrid, which they’ll obviously optimize and market for sportiness. They’ll leave the V6 turbo for the eventual Type S.
Old 10-09-2020 | 09:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I love how they cleared out more space on the center console by pushing the shifter buttons further up, and made use of the room around the drive mode dial. One of my biggest gripes about the RDX is how inefficiently they used the space around those two things.
Remember that the MDX is wider than the RDX so the center console is wider as well.

I would also like a bigger, more usable upper console area, but not a car as big as the MDX if that is what is required.
Old 10-09-2020 | 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Remember that the MDX is wider than the RDX so the center console is wider as well.

I would also like a bigger, more usable upper console area, but not a car as big as the MDX if that is what is required.
It’s not just the size. Look at how much black plastic around the drive model dial and how much space the there is around the shifter buttons in the RDX. They could have easily put some other buttons there or made it a bit more compact to open up some more space south of it. Especially the drive mode dial; the dial itself is relatively small but they decided to surround it with a giant chrome ring, I guess to give it more visual gravitas. On the MDX it’s just the dial, and that’s it. No fluff around it.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-09-2020 at 10:07 AM.
JB in AZ (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020 | 11:27 AM
Drifting

It’s not just the size. Look at how much black plastic around the drive model dial and how much space the there is around the shifter buttons in the RDX. They could have easily put some other buttons there or made it a bit more compact to open up some more space south of it. Especially the drive mode dial; the dial itself is relatively small but they decided to surround it with a giant chrome ring, I guess to give it more visual gravitas. On the MDX it’s just the dial, and that’s it. No fluff around it.
I agree.
Old 10-09-2020 | 11:39 AM
Skeptic

I assume it still has the useless 3rd row like so many other useless 3rd rows in so many other vehicles. But the waste of space and loss of cargo room is well worth it just to say it seats any 7 members of the Lollypop Guild.
Old 10-09-2020 | 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I assume it still has the useless 3rd row like so many other useless 3rd rows in so many other vehicles. But the waste of space and loss of cargo room is well worth it just to say it seats any 7 members of the Lollypop Guild.
What's the problem with having a third row? I thought third-row seating cars were purchased by people who wanted more seating? Obviously if someone doesn't need a third row of seats, they shouldn't be looking at third-row seating vehicles. It's sort of like if I call truck beds useless?
Old 10-09-2020 | 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jmhumr
I imagine you’re hearing correctly. Reports are that the new MDX is bigger, so probably far too chonky for a the 2.0T.

I’d speculate that the new MDX will only be offered with a V6 hybrid, which they’ll obviously optimize and market for sportiness. They’ll leave the V6 turbo for the eventual Type S.
Judging by the Power Monitor on the gauge cluster, I'm thinking it will be a V6 hybrid as well. Unless the 'Power Monitor' is some gimmicky BS like the turbo ball in Sport+ mode.
Old 10-09-2020 | 05:03 PM
Drifting

I'm surprised no one commented on the digital speedo that so many have complained about missing on the RDX.

Unless I missed it.
catalytic_ca (10-15-2020)
Old 10-09-2020 | 06:15 PM

I'm surprised no one commented on the digital speedo that so many have complained about missing on the RDX.

Unless I missed it.
At least one person did. I was never a proponent of it. Looks nice enough. Pretty basic but also doesn’t look cheesy. Watching the video again more closely, I don’t think it’ll be a hybrid. Normal mode has no power monitor, while switching to Sport mode (pretty sure it’s going to follow the TLX model of Sport being the top performance drive mode) brings up the Power Monitor. So, it likely is another gimmick like the Turbo Ball in the RDX rather than being a hybrid battery monitor. I’m gonna say 3.0T V6 that’s been de-tuned and/or smaller turbo than the Type-S. Final answer, Regis (RIP).
catalytic_ca (10-15-2020)
Old 10-09-2020 | 09:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DriverOne
What's the problem with having a third row? I thought third-row seating cars were purchased by people who wanted more seating? Obviously if someone doesn't need a third row of seats, they shouldn't be looking at third-row seating vehicles. It's sort of like if I call truck beds useless?
Unlike truck beds, third row seats in mid-size crossovers are usually deemed worthless and just take up cargo space. They're a compromise for parents who picture themselves hauling straphanger kids, but realize the frequency of this happening can't justify purchasing a proper mammoth 3-row SUV.

This trend presents a problem for those of us who would like a bigger 2nd row for car seats, but don't want to waste room and spend more for a mini 3rd row. We're starting to see companies address this product gap (Honda Passport, VW Atlas Cross Sport), but they're half-hearted efforts.
Old 10-12-2020 | 08:36 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Yeah, I don't like it. I like the analog gauges on the RDX. I wouldn't mind having a digital supplemental one as well, but purely digital doesn't look right to me. It does look like the MDX has faux analog option, so I guess that's fine.

Overall I don't really like the look of the interior of the MDX. The controls especially look awkward and cramped - putting it in Park will having to poke under the Drive Mode selector. The floating palmrest doesn't look good to me either. As I've said before though, that touchpad with the audio controls next to it looks better than the strangely placed volume knob on the RDX.
Old 10-14-2020 | 05:30 PM
Instructor

A lot of photos here:
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/ac...ype-s-variant/

Old 10-14-2020 | 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Unlike truck beds, third row seats in mid-size crossovers are usually deemed worthless and just take up cargo space. They're a compromise for parents who picture themselves hauling straphanger kids, but realize the frequency of this happening can't justify purchasing a proper mammoth 3-row SUV.

This trend presents a problem for those of us who would like a bigger 2nd row for car seats, but don't want to waste room and spend more for a mini 3rd row. We're starting to see companies address this product gap (Honda Passport, VW Atlas Cross Sport), but they're half-hearted efforts.
Hasn't that been addressed with cars like the Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe etc? The Passport and Atlas Cross Sport are merely new additions to the class.
Old 10-14-2020 | 10:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by supafamous
Hasn't that been addressed with cars like the Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe etc? The Passport and Atlas Cross Sport are merely new additions to the class.
Yes, but those cars are either painfully neglected (Edge and Murano) or painfully boring to drive (Sorento and Santa Fe). Not a great lineup when you consider the exhaustive list of options in the smaller 2-row segment. Oddly, companies like Toyota have shrunk their 2-row (RAV4) and grown their 3-row (Highlander) in recent generations, creating an even bigger gap in interior volume.
Old 10-14-2020 | 11:08 PM
Safety Car

Sounds like you could use some Subaru Outback in your life .
Old 10-14-2020 | 11:28 PM
Racer

It may have some nice features. It should. At the price point above the RDX. It is too big for my needs or tastes.
I'm with you on that one, JB. I like the size of my RDX. The MDX just seems too much bigger without having that much more interior space. And the price......as we pilots say, "I want to drive it, not fly it!"

But I do like the look of it. I think of what I might replace my RDX with but so far nothing strikes me as being any better for my needs. I will hold on to my RED RDX for now.
Old 10-15-2020 | 12:33 AM
Racer

Living in DT condo with 1 kid (one and done) the RDX is the perfect size.

if things change and I live in the suburbs with a big garage then I'll definitely be interested in the MDX.

I see myself driving this RDX for the next 12 years. Hopefully the EV market and autonomous driving will mature by then.

Last edited by Ludepower; 10-15-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2020 | 01:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

It might end up riding better than the RDX given the engine (NA V-6) and the double wishbone front suspension.

Last edited by anoop; 10-15-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-15-2020 | 10:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hans471
I'm with you on that one, JB. I like the size of my RDX. The MDX just seems too much bigger without having that much more interior space. And the price......as we pilots say, "I want to drive it, not fly it!"

But I do like the look of it. I think of what I might replace my RDX with but so far nothing strikes me as being any better for my needs. I will hold on to my RED RDX for now.
You had to rub it in, didn't you!
Old 10-15-2020 | 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, but those cars are either painfully neglected (Edge and Murano) or painfully boring to drive (Sorento and Santa Fe). Not a great lineup when you consider the exhaustive list of options in the smaller 2-row segment. Oddly, companies like Toyota have shrunk their 2-row (RAV4) and grown their 3-row (Highlander) in recent generations, creating an even bigger gap in interior volume.
Makes sense. Hopefully the new Sorento is a bit more of an exciting drive with it's 290hp turbo but it's not likely to hustle as well as an RDX. My fingers remain crossed that Mazda fills the gap with a CX-7 - they've got all the parts lying around with the 2.5T and a pretty flexible Skyactiv architecture. Seems like an easy way for them to print some money if they would build a 188in long 2 row especially as the CX-5 is on the cramped side for its class.
Old 10-15-2020 | 01:32 PM
Advanced

Agreed. I have an RDX, but would like an MDX to replace my Odyssey. We never use the 3rd row, but need more cargo space than an RDX has for longer trips. 3rd row in the MDX adds weight and takes away from cargo room.
Old 10-15-2020 | 01:52 PM
Banned

I like how the center console area is more level than in the RDX. I'm not sure if it's that or the very muted lighting that they used to take the photos, but it makes it look somewhat more sophisticated. It also looks like the dashboard in the center area "floats" over the center console (with the electronic shifter) rather than being one large column, like it is on the RDX. Again, that may just be due to the lighting, but it also looks nicer. I don't mind the RDX interior, but since I've only ever had traditional mechanical shifters, I'm used to the dashboard being one entity and the center console being separate. I understand the whole reasoning that Acura gave for going away from a mechanical shifter, so that there would be no middle floor hump, which is great. But if there was a mechanical shifter instead where the touchpad area is on the MDX, I think it would look really good.
Old 10-15-2020 | 09:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by supafamous
Makes sense. Hopefully the new Sorento is a bit more of an exciting drive with it's 290hp turbo but it's not likely to hustle as well as an RDX. My fingers remain crossed that Mazda fills the gap with a CX-7 - they've got all the parts lying around with the 2.5T and a pretty flexible Skyactiv architecture. Seems like an easy way for them to print some money if they would build a 188in long 2 row especially as the CX-5 is on the cramped side for its class.
Preach! I had an original CX-7 and, yes, replaced two turbos before finally ditching it. I really like Mazdas, but they're completely whiffing on product choices. I've read that they consciously put form over function, which explains why the CX-9 is 199" yet somehow cramped for its class.
Old 10-15-2020 | 09:07 PM
Racer

Sounds like you could use some Subaru Outback in your life .
LOL, maybe when I start losing my eyesight.
JB in AZ (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020 | 11:42 PM
Advanced

Doubt we will see a hybrid unless it is the high end trim a year or two later. We're not talking about a Toyota / Lexus / Mercedes here. Maybe things will change a couple years from now when we'll see the fruits of the electrification partnership with GM.
DETROIT and TORRANCE, Calif. General Motors and Honda have agreed to jointly develop two all-new electric vehicles for Honda, based on GM’s highly flexible global EV platform powered by proprietary Ultium batteries. The exteriors and interiors of the new EVs will be exclusively designed by Honda, and the platform will be engineered to support Honda’s driving character.

Production of these Honda electric vehicles will combine the development expertise of both companies, and they will be manufactured at GM plants in North America. Sales are expected to begin in the 2024 model year in Honda’s United States and Canadian markets.
Link to GM Press Relase.
Old 10-18-2020 | 09:35 AM
Instructor

I do like the digital gauge and ambient lighting. However with all new redesign I would hold off for a year or two to work out all the manufacturing defects and bugs. Lesson learned with our 2019 RDX. The MDX will be our next vehicle. Keeping the RDX and Accord, too.