2021 RDX ADVANCED All Warning Lights, Twice

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 11:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 2021 RDX ADVANCED All Warning Lights, Twice

Hello all,

Owner of a 2021 RDX Advanced, leased. After about 5 months of driving, with only 2,000 miles on the odometer, while I was idling at a store, all of my vehicle's warning lights came on advising on a dealership inspections. At this point, all of the vehicle's systems did not work. Upon bringing the vehicle into the dealership, first, as I expected, I was accused of using the vehicle in accessory mode. After I advised that this was not the case, they inspected it and pulled "DTC C0044-F0 Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor failure." They then replaced the sensor and sent me on my way. Around 700 miles later, the issue comes right back.

Here's the kicker.

They give me a loaner and the loaner lights up the same way, Lol. Now, because the loaner's warning lights lit up: (ABS, ACC, elec parking brake, AWD etc,) when I speak with the dealership over the phone, they're like, "Oh then it must be user behavior." I then instantly realize they must not read these forums because after looking, this appears to be an issue as far back as 2015 according to some forums.

Now, however, the only thing I can think of that may or may not have to do with these lights coming on, and I could be wrong considering the first instance was a sensor failure, is the idling. The dealership seemed to be more concerned about the vehicle potentially being on in accessory mode (which is obviously not the case because this would obviously cause a dead battery pretty quickly,) but they did not seem too concerned about me idling the engine for 30 minutes to an hour. After doing some research online, I found, and correct me if I am wrong, excessive idling can potentially cause battery voltage issues and in turn, subsequent error codes. At the same time, I am a bit doubtful that this is the issue because I am sure many of you have idled for a time and never experienced these issues. Additionally, since the pressure senseor valve was the result of the first error code, vehicle idling could not have been the culprit.

As of now, I am still waiting to hear back with results, and the loner, after driving a few miles, has cleared the codes by itself. I should also note, during the second instance, the codes cleared by the time I went to the dealership. In the first instance, they cleared and then came back after a while.

Any ideas? Or, am I on my way to lemon city? I have had a CR-V and Civic, and I have never experienced anything near as critical as this.

Thank you,
The following users liked this post:
DMV703 (05-08-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts
I can comment on the charging part. The charging system is very adaptive, meaning that it adjust the voltage based on many factors, for example the system tends to go max charging (~14V) during coasting. If everything works as intended, the scenario you mentioned that idling caused insufficient charge would not occur. Perhaps you can check the battery state first, because if the load of the battery is weird, the charging system might be fooled and not able to provide enough charge in time. Low voltage tends to trigger the xmas-tree-lights syndrome.

But if there is a code that does not clear itself, the issue should be addressed first before further debugging.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:31 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I suspect that the battery state of charge is the cause. Many owners of Honda products (and others as well) are experiencing this with the reduced driving. The batteries just don't get charged up enough and hold a charge with the lack of use the pandemic has caused. Many owners are now using a battery maintainer when they don't drive often. Cars today have a lot of parasitic drain when not being used to power all kinds of things. I would encourage you to mention this as a possibility to the dealer.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Anesthesiologist
Hello all,
Upon bringing the vehicle into the dealership, first, as I expected, I was accused of using the vehicle in accessory mode.
Thank you,
I don't understand that statement. You can't "use" the car very effectively in accessory mode. It won't go anywhere. And why did you expect to be "accused" of it? Are you in the habit of just sitting in the car for long periods with the accessories on? If you're just listing to the audio system or playing with the navigation or infotainment system, you don't have to be in accessory mode.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Maybe there are other accessories? Like a nice bag, or a risqué hat? A scarf maybe?
Old 05-07-2021, 01:18 PM
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 108 Posts
Sounds like the battery to me.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:42 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I don't understand that statement. You can't "use" the car very effectively in accessory mode. It won't go anywhere. And why did you expect to be "accused" of it? Are you in the habit of just sitting in the car for long periods with the accessories on? If you're just listing to the audio system or playing with the navigation or infotainment system, you don't have to be in accessory mode.
I'm just relaying what one of the service representatives stated. The first question she asked me was if I was using the vehicle in accessory mode. I'm not exactly how literal you need me to be outside of commons sense, but we can go there. So, in other words, she exhibited concern about whether or not I might have been utilizing either the radio, or perhaps talking on the phone for long periods of time while in this particular mode. And whether or not this mode needs to be activated in order to run the nav or whatever is besides the point. This is what she indicated.

Regardless, I do not often operate the vehicle's internal electronics in this mode, so this could not have been the reason behind the vehicles malfunction.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:43 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I'm just relaying what one of the service representatives stated. The first question she asked me was if I was using the vehicle in accessory mode. I'm not exactly how literal you need me to be outside of commons sense, but we can go there. So, in other words, she exhibited concern about whether or not I might have been utilizing either the radio, or perhaps talking on the phone for long periods of time while in this particular mode. And whether or not this mode needs to be activated in order to run the nav or whatever is besides the point. This is what she indicated.

Regardless, I do not often operate the vehicle's internal electronics in this mode, so this could not have been the reason behind the vehicle malfunctioning.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:54 AM
10th Gear

Dealer said they contacted the Acura tech line and they were told to make an adjustment on the break pedal and that they don't believe there is anything major wrong with the vehicle. I have absolutely no clue what they're talking about, but they said to let them know if the lights come back on. I guess we will see if this "adjustment" makes a difference.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:55 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts

Regardless, I do not often operate the vehicle's internal electronics in this mode, so this could not have been the reason behind the vehicle malfunctioning.
Just to correct something, I think I got my mdes confused. Accessory mode IS what you should use when sitting in the car listening to the radio or playing with the nav, etc. Battery drain is negligible. I was thinking they might have "accused" you of using the car with the ignition ON without the engine running. That's almost never necessary for more than a short time and will cause battery drain in a few hours.

Sorry about the condescending tone too.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello all,

Owner of a 2021 RDX Advanced, leased. After about 5 months of driving, with only 2,000 miles on the odometer, while I was idling at a store, all of my vehicle's warning lights came on advising on a dealership inspections. At this point, all of the vehicle's systems did not work. Upon bringing the vehicle into the dealership, first, as I expected, I was accused of using the vehicle in accessory mode. After I advised that this was not the case, they inspected it and pulled "DTC C0044-F0 Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor failure." They then replaced the sensor and sent me on my way. Around 700 miles later, the issue comes right back.

Here's the kicker.

They give me a loaner and the loaner lights up the same way, Lol. Now, because the loaner's warning lights lit up: (ABS, ACC, elec parking brake, AWD etc,) when I speak with the dealership over the phone, they're like, "Oh then it must be user behavior." I then instantly realize they must not read these forums because after looking, this appears to be an issue as far back as 2015 according to some forums.

Now, however, the only thing I can think of that may or may not have to do with these lights coming on, and I could be wrong considering the first instance was a sensor failure, is the idling. The dealership seemed to be more concerned about the vehicle potentially being on in accessory mode (which is obviously not the case because this would obviously cause a dead battery pretty quickly,) but they did not seem too concerned about me idling the engine for 30 minutes to an hour. After doing some research online, I found, and correct me if I am wrong, excessive idling can potentially cause battery voltage issues and in turn, subsequent error codes. At the same time, I am a bit doubtful that this is the issue because I am sure many of you have idled for a time and never experienced these issues. Additionally, since the pressure senseor valve was the result of the first error code, vehicle idling could not have been the culprit.

As of now, I am still waiting to hear back with results, and the loner, after driving a few miles, has cleared the codes by itself. I should also note, during the second instance, the codes cleared by the time I went to the dealership. In the first instance, they cleared and then came back after a while.

Any ideas? Or, am I on my way to lemon city? I have had a CR-V and Civic, and I have never experienced anything near as critical as this.

Thank you,
I just purchased a 2021 Acura RDX advanced and sometimes my car will automatically go into accessory mode (when I press on the pedal And press start engine) for whatever reason. I have to keep pressing start engine more than once (happened twice) to get the car to start. I also notice rough idling (a bit shaky to be a new car). I hope I don’t end up in lemon city myself because with less than 1k miles I already feel uncomfortable although I’m trying to think positive about the car. I’m hoping I just have to get used to this new car and up to date technology in a vehicle. Had I noticed this during my test drive I probably would have went with the Lexus (my 2nd choice).
Old 05-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Record it.
DMV703 (05-08-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Make sure you are pressing on the brake pedal first before pressing the start button. I have found.sometimes that if you press both at same time = no start + accessory mode…
DMV703 (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Leaf 68
Make sure you are pressing on the brake pedal first before pressing the start button. I have found.sometimes that if you press both at same time = no start + accessory mode…
I will make sure I do that. That's probably what's happening lol. Thanks for the info. I'm still learning. I had a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe prior to this RDX so I was behind on technology lol
Old 05-09-2021, 12:08 PM
Drifting

The brake pedal knows when it is partially pressed and when it is fully pressed.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:02 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DMV703
I just purchased a 2021 Acura RDX advanced and sometimes my car will automatically go into accessory mode (when I press on the pedal And press start engine) for whatever reason. I have to keep pressing start engine more than once (happened twice) to get the car to start. I also notice rough idling (a bit shaky to be a new car). I hope I don’t end up in lemon city myself because with less than 1k miles I already feel uncomfortable although I’m trying to think positive about the car. I’m hoping I just have to get used to this new car and up to date technology in a vehicle. Had I noticed this during my test drive I probably would have went with the Lexus (my 2nd choice).
Interesting - this also happens with my 2020 Advance and I thought it was just my imagination. Doesn't happen all the time, but randomly during a start-up, I have to keep pressing the brake pedal and then the Start Button until I finally get a spark. I don't have any rough idling that you're experiencing but yeah - the accessory mode issue confuses me. Would be great if someone has an answer for this, or else I will be consulting with my dealer on my next service.

Hope you enjoy your RDX. I absolutely love mine after 12,000 miles and never get tired of driving it.

DMV703 (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 08:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vince D
Interesting - this also happens with my 2020 Advance and I thought it was just my imagination. Doesn't happen all the time, but randomly during a start-up, I have to keep pressing the brake pedal and then the Start Button until I finally get a spark. I don't have any rough idling that you're experiencing but yeah - the accessory mode issue confuses me. Would be great if someone has an answer for this, or else I will be consulting with my dealer on my next service.

Hope you enjoy your RDX. I absolutely love mine after 12,000 miles and never get tired of driving it.
Thanks! Yes, I must say I’m enjoying the car for the most part. I’ve heard so many people say they really enjoy driving it. I’ve been driving like Ms. Daisy so far because I read that I should take it slow for the first 600 miles. Not sure if this is really true or not lol but hey, I’ll do whatever I need to in order to keep this baby running for a long time.

Enjoy your new whip! It really is a nice car!
Old 07-12-2022, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same her

Took mine in today and the Tech actually came out to assure me that it was only low brake fluid. The system is very sensitive.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low brake fluid will cause all systems related to it to show failure.

Took mine in today and it was only low brake fluid at 11k miles. All systems tied to the brakes will show failure as a safety precaution. Its a very sensitive system.