2019 RDX vs. 2020 Telluride

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 05:55 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sportsguy
for what it is worth the Telluride forums seems to be a much more positive place as well. 99% of Telluride owners seems very happy and no major issues.

The amount of concerns and issues in the RDX forum scared me away.
It's surprising I haven't seen any negative comments on the Telluride Forum or Facebook forum either, other than lack of inventory. And these are people paying MSRP. Meanwhile the Rdx forum is still inundated with issues almost a year into production.
The following 2 users liked this post by Njbrandon:
JacPac (04-13-2019), sportsguy (04-15-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
It's surprising I haven't seen any negative comments on the Telluride Forum or Facebook forum either, other than lack of inventory. And these are people paying MSRP. Meanwhile the Rdx forum is still inundated with issues almost a year into production.
I wonder if anyone has taken both RDX and Telluride for a test drive? I did like the handling of the RDX, but in my view the Telluride offers much more for 90% of SUV buyers. Everyone values things differently.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I wonder if anyone has taken both RDX and Telluride for a test drive? I did like the handling of the RDX, but in my view the Telluride offers much more for 90% of SUV buyers. Everyone values things differently.
I haven't, but I agree with you that the Telluride MAY offer more for some SUV buyers, however, not all SUV buyer need or want such a large vehicle, or prefer something a bit more sporty. Hence one of my many reasons for not test driving a Telluride.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
As long as your engine doesn’t burst into flame, you might be OK.

To me, the RDX is the sports sedan of SUVs. No kia except the Stinger has any sportiness to it.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 04-20-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced

Anyone test drive the Telluride SX yet? I have driven both 2019 RDX and Telluride and like the features / space of Telluride but prefer the exterior look of RDX A-Spec.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
It's on my radar, too, and I don't need three rows. But if I do go that large, the Explorer's powertrain options would likely trump the Telluride's nicer interior. It gives me hope for the next generation Sorento, however, especially if it keeps a V6 option or gets the new turbo four. But the GV80 is the one I'm really waiting for.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
It seems a lot of people want the fully loaded SX Platinum model. It has the same issues as the RDX when it came out. Demand greatly exceeds supply. Reports on the Telluride forums about dealer markups of $5K over list plus all the sleazy dealer installed garbage. Imagine paying $55K for a $46K Kia.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrJames
It seems a lot of people want the fully loaded SX Platinum model. It has the same issues as the RDX when it came out. Demand greatly exceeds supply. Reports on the Telluride forums about dealer markups of $5K over list plus all the sleazy dealer installed garbage. Imagine paying $55K for a $46K Kia.
Right, and getting $23k on a trade in after 3 years. It IS a KIA.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Exactly! Watch that resale value drop like a rock in the ocean!
Old 05-12-2019, 03:00 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
If we're talking spending $50K+, just get the RDX!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts
I'm not so sure. Not only has the Telluride has been very well received by the automotive media, but dealers can't keep them in stock. Early consumer reviews have been great, too. (Average owner rating for the Telluride on Edmunds is 4.5 stars, versus 3.6 for the RDX and 4.4 for the Pilot.)

Hyundai/Kia is doing all the right things. The products are high quality, well designed and uniquely styled, and they're covered by one of the best warranties in the industry. The Koreans should also be commended for resisting the urge to follow the industry trends of eliminating physical controls for basic HVAC and audio functions, gimmicky gear selectors, and unfriendly infotainment interfaces. (Lexus, Acura, Cadillac I'm looking at you.)

Obviously the Telluride is not a direct competitor to the RDX, but it compares favorably to the Pilot, Highlander, et al, including the MDX. If the Telluride is an indicator of things to come, the next Sorento will be cross-shopped against the RDX. Kia has a bit of work to do on the dealer side, but so does Acura.

I'm old enough to remember when people made fun of the cheap Japanese cars infiltrating the US. Generally speaking, they weren't viewed as any kind of long-term threat. Sound familiar?
The following users liked this post:
sportsguy (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Drifting

I'm not so sure. Not only has the Telluride has been very well received by the automotive media, but dealers can't keep them in stock. Early consumer reviews have been great, too. (Average owner rating for the Telluride on Edmunds is 4.5 stars, versus 3.6 for the RDX and 4.4 for the Pilot.)

Hyundai/Kia is doing all the right things. The products are high quality, well designed and uniquely styled, and they're covered by one of the best warranties in the industry. The Koreans should also be commended for resisting the urge to follow the industry trends of eliminating physical controls for basic HVAC and audio functions, gimmicky gear selectors, and unfriendly infotainment interfaces. (Lexus, Acura, Cadillac I'm looking at you.)

Obviously the Telluride is not a direct competitor to the RDX, but it compares favorably to the Pilot, Highlander, et al, including the MDX. If the Telluride is an indicator of things to come, the next Sorento will be cross-shopped against the RDX. Kia has a bit of work to do on the dealer side, but so does Acura.

I'm old enough to remember when people made fun of the cheap Japanese cars infiltrating the US. Generally speaking, they weren't viewed as any kind of long-term threat. Sound familiar?
I'm also old enough to remember the days we all looked at the bottom of a product and said "oh, made in Japan", and laughed. In 1973, I bought my first Japanese car, a new 1973 Toyota Selica ST. (Always wised I had the extra money to get the GT, which had the 5 speed vs the 4 speed my ST came with) It was a well made, reliable vehicle, and the first of a long line of Toyotas to follow.

I also said the same (laughed) about the Korean cars...(who can NOT laugh at the Excel or Sephia) until I agreed they seemed to have "come of age"... and I bought a new '17 Tucson. One of the worst new cars I ever owned, and I have owned quite a few. And even worse is the only Hyundai dealer around here. They have the absolutely worst service department I have dealt with. Period. What good is a long warranty if the service department can't fix the issues? AND, I buy new cars so I DON'T have to visit the service department. My Tucson was in the shop for repairs more times in the first 6 months of ownership (starting on Day 2!) than any other vehicle that I have owned through the whole warranty period. Maybe it was just a lemon, or luck of the draw, or the incompetence of the service adviser, service manager and/or service technician(s), but it soured me on Hyundais and this dealership. At this point, Hyundai/Kia have a way to go to earn my business again.

I'll grant you that Hyundai and Kia have become a force in the industry. And are making some attractive products. And by attractive, I don't mean just physically. A long warranty gives buyers a peace of mind, but as I mentioned, I don't want to be taking my car in frequently, even if it doesn't cost me money out of pocket, it costs me in time and inconvenience. But tell me this, why do they constantly need to offer $50 gift cards, for a test drive, to get people in the dealerships?

Oh, and one last comment regarding the consumer reviews....Is it possible that people that buy Hyunda/Kia products tend to give them higher marks to rationalize their purchase of what many consider a "lesser" product, while Acura buyers expect more and are more critical? Hard to say, just spouting my mouth on a Sunday morning.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

I'll grant you that Hyundai and Kia have become a force in the industry. And are making some attractive products. And by attractive, I don't mean just physically. A long warranty gives buyers a peace of mind, but as I mentioned, I don't want to be taking my car in frequently, even if it doesn't cost me money out of pocket, it costs me in time and inconvenience. But tell me this, why do they constantly need to offer $50 gift cards, for a test drive, to get people in the dealerships?
The gift card thing is obvious ... they're still fighting an image problem, as evidenced by some of the comments here. There is no better way to change perceptions than the let people experience for themselves.

Oh, and one last comment regarding the consumer reviews....Is it possible that people that buy Hyunda/Kia products tend to give them higher marks to rationalize their purchase of what many consider a "lesser" product, while Acura buyers expect more and are more critical? Hard to say, just spouting my mouth on a Sunday morning.
Not an unreasonable question, but no ... I don't think so. Take the 2017 Tucson, for example. The owner rating on Edmunds is just 3.8 stars. Apparently others' experiences mirror your own.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Advanced

A lot of people buying the RDX are "seniors" in their 60's and 70's that always wanted a luxury car but afraid to pay up for Mercedes, Audi, or BMW. I have never heard anyone say "Oh wow you bought an Acura...." No difference between Acura and Honda in 95% of people's view of the brand.

The Telluride destroys the MDX in nearly all aspects (Tech, Features, Comfort, Interior, Space) and is $10k less.

I was going to buy an RDX until I saw all the issues on ths forum and seems likes lot of unhappy RDX owners in this forum.

I'm also old enough to remember the days we all looked at the bottom of a product and said "oh, made in Japan", and laughed. In 1973, I bought my first Japanese car, a new 1973 Toyota Selica ST. (Always wised I had the extra money to get the GT, which had the 5 speed vs the 4 speed my ST came with) It was a well made, reliable vehicle, and the first of a long line of Toyotas to follow.

I also said the same (laughed) about the Korean cars...(who can NOT laugh at the Excel or Sephia) until I agreed they seemed to have "come of age"... and I bought a new '17 Tucson. One of the worst new cars I ever owned, and I have owned quite a few. And even worse is the only Hyundai dealer around here. They have the absolutely worst service department I have dealt with. Period. What good is a long warranty if the service department can't fix the issues? AND, I buy new cars so I DON'T have to visit the service department. My Tucson was in the shop for repairs more times in the first 6 months of ownership (starting on Day 2!) than any other vehicle that I have owned through the whole warranty period. Maybe it was just a lemon, or luck of the draw, or the incompetence of the service adviser, service manager and/or service technician(s), but it soured me on Hyundais and this dealership. At this point, Hyundai/Kia have a way to go to earn my business again.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
We had a Tucson,believe it was a 2012....Great car, on par with the 2011 CRV we had...sold both when we left S.America.....I belive with the latest era of Tucsons,they have had some serious DCT issues.( I think they have now dropped the DCT from their line-up)....I know when we came back to the USA, we were considering a new 2016 Tucson, but many were complaining about the DCT....and at the same time CRVs were having vibration issues....Hyundia has a bit of an image problem,,many including myself think of the crappy Pony's etc etc..but many recent reports state the quality is on par with Toyota/Honda. If one hold on to their cars for a long time, then resell value isnt much of a concern....I know my Volvo I just bought,the resell value sucks, but I plan to keep it for a longtime, so not a factor....and Volvo too was offering $50 Amazon gift cert.....I now have some nice amazon items from all my test drives,lol
Old 05-12-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Over 130 owners rate RDX 3.6 , owners do not lie... not based on my opinion but facts: https://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/

Telluride rating 4.5 : https://www.edmunds.com/kia/telluride/

It is amazing how people judge a new SUV like the Telluride before even taking it for a test drive. They "assume" Acura makes a better SUV, the luride is going to eat the MDX + RDX over the next 2-3 years.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Drifting

The gift card thing is obvious ... they're still fighting an image problem, as evidenced by some of the comments here. There is no better way to change perceptions than the let people experience for themselves.

Not an unreasonable question, but no ... I don't think so. Take the 2017 Tucson, for example. The owner rating on Edmunds is just 3.8 stars. Apparently others' experiences mirror your own.
I believe we'd have to go back to when the Tucson was a new model and compare the ratings then with the (now) new model Telluride....or look to the future and see how the Telluride ratings hold up.

I did my "due diligence" and research before buying the '17 Tucson...the '16 was a VERY major redesign, so the '17 was the second year. IIRC the ratings were good on the Tucson at the time, but I can't recall what the numbers were, now. At the time, the Tucson was a far more compelling offering then the last Gen, '16 CR-V. I ended up trading the Tucson after 1 year for the '18 CR-V...got one of the first '18's off the truck at my dealer. The 17 CR-V (5th Gen) wasn't released yet when I bought the Tucson, or I would likely have owned a 17 CR-V rather than the Tucson. FAR superior vehicle, and one of the best I have ever owned. My experiences with the CR-V lead me to the '19 RDX when I decided it was the right time "to go premium". Again, as with the last Gen CR-V, I didn't find the last Gen 8 RDX to be competitive...when I looked at them before buying the 18 CR-V.

All this is really academic, as the Telluride is a far larger vehicle than I want or need.

IF and when Genesis has their own established dealer network, (Not just transplanted Hyundai dealer employees, etc) and IF and when they have a competitive crossover, I will "consider" it.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Volvo XC60 and XC90 definitely a level above RDX. The Volvo SUVs are definitely in the luxury class vs BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.

You wonder why 2019 RDX owners are worried about resales value ? Because they are unhappy with the RDX so already thinking about replacing it.

Originally Posted by flames9
We had a Tucson,believe it was a 2012....Great car, on par with the 2011 CRV we had...sold both when we left S.America.....I belive with the latest era of Tucsons,they have had some serious DCT issues.( I think they have now dropped the DCT from their line-up)....I know when we came back to the USA, we were considering a new 2016 Tucson, but many were complaining about the DCT....and at the same time CRVs were having vibration issues....Hyundia has a bit of an image problem,,many including myself think of the crappy Pony's etc etc..but many recent reports state the quality is on par with Toyota/Honda. If one hold on to their cars for a long time, then resell value isnt much of a concern....I know my Volvo I just bought,the resell value sucks, but I plan to keep it for a longtime, so not a factor....and Volvo too was offering $50 Amazon gift cert.....I now have some nice amazon items from all my test drives,lol
Old 05-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

I believe we'd have to go back to when the Tucson was a new model and compare the ratings then with the (now) new model Telluride....or look to the future and see how the Telluride ratings hold up.
Edmunds ratings are by year, not by generation, so that rating applies only to the 2017 model year. The average rating for the 2016 Tucson Tucson was a sad 3.0. It jumped to 4.5 for 2018 and it's at 4.4 for 2019.

Like I said, this company gets it. They find out what the problems are and they address them.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Drifting

A lot of people buying the RDX are "seniors" in their 60's and 70's that always wanted a luxury car but afraid to pay up for Mercedes, Audi, or BMW. I have never heard anyone say "Oh wow you bought an Acura...." No difference between Acura and Honda in 95% of people's view of the brand.

The Telluride destroys the MDX in nearly all aspects (Tech, Features, Comfort, Interior, Space) and is $10k less.

Yep. I came to a point in my life where I could easily afford and justify the price of entry....But, I was not "afraid" to buy the Germans, I just didn't find them to have the features for anywhere near the price of the RDX, and cost of ownership and reliability??? And I don't care if the perception is that Acura is a Honda. I'm not looking for outward appearances. I love the way it drives, performs, and feels from behind the wheel.

You may be right that the Telluride destroys the current MDX, which is in it's 6th year of this Gen, right? I just don't see the Telluride taking RDX sales, perhaps it will take MDX sales? I could be wrong. Hard to say how it will fair against the next Gen MDX. If 4th Gen CR-V to 5th Gen CR-V and 2nd Gen RDX to 3rd Gen RDX changes are any indicators, the next Gen MDX should be quite competitive.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Drifting

You wonder why 2019 RDX owners are worried about resales value ? Because they are unhappy with the RDX so already thinking about replacing it.
I know you weren't addressing me, but why do you say this? Are 19 RDX owners REALLY "worried about resale values"? I suspect that if you did a poll you will find that there are less RDX owners who are "unhappy and thinking about replacing" their RDXs than you seem to think. I own mine now about 4 months and 4,000 miles. I don't hate the true touch pad, I have no transmission or suspension issues, or brakes squeaks. Once in a while, the infotainment screen is slow to load, but I have music playing, and it is not a reason to even consider selling it. There will be another OTA update that will likely resolve the issues some others are experiencing.
DWG (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by flames9
......I know my Volvo I just bought,the resell value sucks, but I plan to keep it for a longtime, so not a factor....and Volvo too was offering $50 Amazon gift cert.....I now have some nice amazon items from all my test drives,lol
I also seriously considered the Volvos before deciding on my RDX. I seem to remember you posting on here during the time when I was deciding. The XC60 was high on my list. There is no doubt it is a very comfortable and safe vehicle. Somehow, I just felt like the RDX fit my priorities, more closely. If I had to compare the '18 RDX to the '17+ XC60, I would have the Volvo in my garage.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Drifting

A lot of people buying the RDX are "seniors" in their 60's and 70's that always wanted a luxury car but afraid to pay up for Mercedes, Audi, or BMW. ...
Yep. I came to a point in my life where I could easily afford and justify the price of entry.......
Wish the "edit" window was longer!

You mentioned age...I wanted to add that you seem to be 44, and I am 67. Lots of varying priorities in the age difference. When I was 44, we were raising 3 kids, and were budgeting for college expenses. There was never the thought of a luxury car. It was NOT about being "afraid to pay up".
Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I own a Kia stinger. The cars I considered were tlx, rdx, mdx, is 350, gs350, outback. I wanted a suv that handles well but decided I can live with a fastback. For the same reason out of Telluride and rdx, I would choose rdx but would actually prefer to wait next gen mdx.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
According to the monthly sales numbers Telluride is outselling the RDX. They even stopped taking orders on the priciest highest trim SX Prestige because production can't keep up.
sportsguy (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I sat in the Telluride at the NY Auto Show last month and was REALLY impressed. That being said, I didn't actually drive it, so my opinion could very easily be swayed.

I also had a red flag go up from the Redline review when they mentioned not-so-smooth shifting in lower gears.

But as I'm learning the hard way right now, I would NEVER buy another 1st-gen car again.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeh62
I sat in the Telluride at the NY Auto Show last month and was REALLY impressed. That being said, I didn't actually drive it, so my opinion could very easily be swayed.

I also had a red flag go up from the Redline review when they mentioned not-so-smooth shifting in lower gears.

But as I'm learning the hard way right now, I would NEVER buy another 1st-gen car again.
Sofyan from Redline Reviews is extremely biased and I no longer watch his reviews because he is incapable of being impartial and furthermore couldn't give a rats ass about properly editing or fixing mistakes.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:20 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Sofyan from Redline Reviews is extremely biased and I no longer watch his reviews because he is incapable of being impartial and furthermore couldn't give a rats ass about properly editing or fixing mistakes.
I still like him because he isn't afraid to speak his opinion... I usually see eye-to-eye with him, so if he hates it, I'll hate it...

It's kind of stupid, but it's easier than me driving every car...