2019 RDX rear window shattering

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
When I needed my defective keyfob replaced, my dealership would not honor the warranty because I could not prove that I didn't drop it and that's why it wasn't working. How much do you want to bet that they'd just say "well, we don't know that it wasn't smashed with a rock, so we can't replace it under warranty".
Which is exactly what Acura US is doing ... meanwhile, our neighbors to the North are accepting these occurrences as common enough to not simply be a coincidence and are covering them under warranty. Boggles the mind. Acura US is just trying to save money and avoid taking care of their customers post-purchase. If they don't make this right, I hope they lose plenty of prospective buyers over this in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Geohutch (11-25-2023)
Old 02-11-2022, 05:04 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLevelOne
Had my rear window crumble last Friday evening. It has been cold here in the 12-30F for a while. Started the RDX remotely (via the app) and when I closed the driver's door, I heard the glass plummet in. I called my dealer service department first thing on Saturday morning and they recommended a place nearby. They had the glass and replaced it ASAP. Went through my insurance. Visited a store nearby who had great CCTV camera on that night and no one came near it while parked.

Spontaneous destruction?

Regards -------------
Please call Acura client relations and log the issue with them. Windows shouldn’t explode because we close our doors. The more times it gets reported, the more likely it is that Acura will acknowledge an issue. We need to get this turned into a recall or TSB at a minimum.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Another case, and another US dealer not stating it's a common issue and covered under warranty ... WTF. Anyone that's had the issue, I'd save the receipt/proof of payment to the insurance co./shop. What needs to get done to light a fire under Acura US's ass to get this resolved?
What needs to be done is everyone here needs to contact Acura client relations and report the issue. That’s the only way we’re going to see any results.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:45 AM
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Does tinting t he rear window at least prevent the glass cascade into the hatch/door, or is this not feasible to prevent due to how the window is mounted?
Old 02-11-2022, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Unobtanium
Does tinting t he rear window at least prevent the glass cascade into the hatch/door, or is this not feasible to prevent due to how the window is mounted?

I think it should help.... If you want to get it tinted its one thing, but to get a tint on the rear with the only purpose to prevent this? And like someone else said, when it breaks and they see tint, your chances of getting any kind of warranty from Acura will go to zero.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude
I think it should help.... If you want to get it tinted its one thing, but to get a tint on the rear with the only purpose to prevent this? And like someone else said, when it breaks and they see tint, your chances of getting any kind of warranty from Acura will go to zero.
That's fine. I have insurance for a reason. My issue is not wanting the nightmare of t he glass stuck in the door.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Unobtanium
That's fine. I have insurance for a reason. My issue is not wanting the nightmare of t he glass stuck in the door.

can someone confirm that glass can not be removed from inside the door? Its a body shop question, the auto glass will not do it for sure.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
I just checked and there are multiple complaints for this on the NHTSA site. It probably would be useful to enter a complaint in there as well.

This is the link for the 2020 RDX complaints: 2020 ACURA RDX SUV AWD | NHTSA

Ron
Old 02-13-2022, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron T
I just checked and there are multiple complaints for this on the NHTSA site. It probably would be useful to enter a complaint in there as well.

This is the link for the 2020 RDX complaints: 2020 ACURA RDX SUV AWD | NHTSA

Ron
Thank you for this link. I will be filing my complaint shortly to add to the list.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Yep, happened to me last winter. It was pretty cold, so I just assumed it was because of that, but I'm not 100% sure. My insurance rep had that "yeah sure" tone of voice when I reported it. I just came out of work and it was shattered. FYI when replacing it Safelite left all the old glass inside the door, they said there was no way to take the hatch apart and the only other alternative was to have Acura put in a completely new hatch. I assumed it was BS and didn't care much as it was a lease anyway. Sucked, had to wait months for a replacement, driving around with the piss poor taping that Safelite did.

PS: Mine broke just like yours, and like I see most others, somewhat in the center.
Having to wait months for a replacement? Was this US or Canada? That is terrible.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:00 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Having to wait months for a replacement? Was this US or Canada? That is terrible.
The license plate says Ontario.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:32 PM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Did they put an OEM glass? You can still open a case with Acura, you should not have to use your insurance for this and pay deductible?
Yes, the replacement glass was OEM. The entire center of the window fell into the rear compartment. My insurance has 0% deductible. Next trip to the dealer, I plan on having a discussion with the service manager.

Regards ----------------
Old 02-22-2022, 05:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheLevelOne
Yes, the replacement glass was OEM. The entire center of the window fell into the rear compartment. My insurance has 0% deductible. Next trip to the dealer, I plan on having a discussion with the service manager.

Regards ----------------

How did they get broken glass from inside the panel?
Old 02-22-2022, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really would like to know the same too, just got my window repaired by Safelite. Good to have my car back after waiting about a week and a half but sucks everytime I open the hatch or take some turns or even some light bumps while driving I hear the glass moving around back there in the hatch.. Safelite told me they can't open the rear hatch so whatever glass fell in there is gonna have to stay in there, so annoying.

Any help would be very much appreciated
Old 02-22-2022, 04:50 PM
Drifting

My understanding of insurance, is they are supposed to make you "whole"... meaning they have to bring you back to an equal standing from before the incident. Having glass pieces rattling around in the tailgate is not equal to before the incident. I would contact the insurance company.
Old 02-22-2022, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
My understanding of insurance, is they are supposed to make you "whole"... meaning they have to bring you back to an equal standing from before the incident. Having glass pieces rattling around in the tailgate is not equal to before the incident. I would contact the insurance company.
I agree. It would be better to start with body shop, they should be able to coordinate the process.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by David A.
I really would like to know the same too, just got my window repaired by Safelite. Good to have my car back after waiting about a week and a half but sucks everytime I open the hatch or take some turns or even some light bumps while driving I hear the glass moving around back there in the hatch.. Safelite told me they can't open the rear hatch so whatever glass fell in there is gonna have to stay in there, so annoying.

were you given or asked for a rental car?

car is not usable without rear window.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:03 PM
3rd Gear

were you given or asked for a rental car?

car is not usable without rear window.
I wasn't, kinda had to figure it out on my own, took it to a mom and pop mechanic shop and they wrapped the rear window with the remaining glass with what was like a giant roll of plastic to keep the elements from coming in I'm in NY and we were getting some rain and snow around the time it happened so figured I'd cough up the $25 to protect the vehicle
Old 02-22-2022, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Posted this in one of the other three threads about this issue that some people choose to forgive Acura US for and stick their heads in the sand for. "Eh, it didn't happen to me, what's the big deal? Leave Acura alone!"

Absurd.

I highly doubt Safelite or your insurance company are going to be helpful at all. Meanwhile, Acura is skating by balking at any responsibility for their own deficiency.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I wasn't, kinda had to figure it out on my own, took it to a mom and pop mechanic shop and they wrapped the rear window with the remaining glass with what was like a giant roll of plastic to keep the elements from coming in I'm in NY and we were getting some rain and snow around the time it happened so figured I'd cough up the $25 to protect the vehicle

but its not safe to drive like that, your rear view is obstructed, and possibility of water getting inside.

I am just curious if insurance would even give you a loaner. Technically if car is deemed not safe to drive and your policy covers loaner car — they have to pay for it.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Posted this in one of the other three threads about this issue that some people choose to forgive Acura US for and stick their heads in the sand for. "Eh, it didn't happen to me, what's the big deal? Leave Acura alone!"

Absurd.
It's getting so bad that I can quickly rattle off a few names of the Acura boosters who deny anything bad or they deem as even slightly negative, they must work for them or something.
leomio2.0 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear

but its not safe to drive like that, your rear view is obstructed, and possibility of water getting inside.

I am just curious if insurance would even give you a loaner. Technically if car is deemed not safe to drive and your policy covers loaner car — they have to pay for it.
Agree 100% the car was mostly parked and sitting in the driveway, most of the time I was able to use my wife's car to work and to get around, I only drove the RDX in that week in a half about 2 or 3x max only when it was necessary, still a huge inconvenience though.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Got my car back from the dealer. To answer some questions here:

Yes your insurance will cover a loaner if it’s on your policy.
Also the dealer popped the back panels off and vacuumed the glass out of the hatch. This is something that Safelite won’t do. The cost is roughly $700 to have it done at the dealer, but worth it to not hear glass rattle.

All in all I paid $1400 to have this rear glass replaced the proper way (dealer). I have submitted the claim to my insurance and am awaiting the inevitable fight that’s going to come along with them not wanting to pay that much. Either way, I wasn’t having Safelite do it.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:09 AM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Didn't ask. I picked the RDX up after shop was closed. Most likely vacuumed all the pieces out. Did a great job.

Regards ------------
Old 02-23-2022, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by D-RDX

Also the dealer popped the back panels off and vacuumed the glass out of the hatch. This is something that Safelite won’t do. The cost is roughly $700 to have it done at the dealer, but worth it to not hear glass rattle.

All in all I paid $1400 to have this rear glass replaced the proper way (dealer). I have submitted the claim to my insurance and am awaiting the inevitable fight that’s going to come along with them not wanting to pay that much. Either way, I wasn’t having Safelite do it.
So I'm guessing the dealership would not replace it under warranty? Figures.

Hope the new glass lasts, but if it is a design issue with the car or defect with the OEM glass...
Old 02-23-2022, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

how long did you have to wait for the glass? I am guessing dealership wants payment right away since they dont deal with insurance. Usually they need to send adjuster and what not. Let us know if your insurance pays the claim.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Hope the new glass lasts, but if it is a design issue with the car or defect with the OEM glass...

yeah, totally disgusting considering that Acura of Canada division has recognized this as an issue and fixing it under warranty.
leomio2.0 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 12:32 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts

I just swung to my dealer to make an appt for a few TSB things i wanted done.
I asked about the glass, he said they direct people to insurance and safelite ( i rolled my eyes) but he said the 2/3 he got had the glass in the tailgate..

he said one guy wanted to pay for the tailgate until he heard the cost
and SECOND he cut the bottom of it to empty out the glass...

Both scenarios sound rediculous to me personally.. there is a SMALL draign plug i noticed on the bottom, i'd pump in foam then hit some curves to catch all the glass but i'm sure i'll cross that path when/if mine explodes
Old 02-24-2022, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll give it until the Autumn of '22 and if my rear glass hasn't exploded by then and the a-holes at Acura still refuse to stand behind their product, I'll get it tinted. At least that will prevent most of the glass from getting into the tailgate.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:11 PM
Advanced

Correct. Dealer refused to even acknowledge it as anything else other than an insurance claim. My service advisor however, did deal with the insurance company for me. This is why it is so important that people log these complaints directly with Acura client relations and the NHTSA so we can get it repaired under warranty in the future.

how long did you have to wait for the glass? I am guessing dealership wants payment right away since they dont deal with insurance. Usually they need to send adjuster and what not. Let us know if your insurance pays the claim.
The glass was backordered but I got it within a week so it wasn't so bad. My insurance company didn't want to pay the dealer, they wanted me to pay out of pocket and submit for reimbursement (or go to Safelite which wasn't gonna happen). I paid the dealer upon completion of the job, but they didn't require any money upfront to order the glass and do the work.

I'll give it until the Autumn of '22 and if my rear glass hasn't exploded by then and the a-holes at Acura still refuse to stand behind their product, I'll get it tinted. At least that will prevent most of the glass from getting into the tailgate.
I'm actually going tomorrow afternoon to have this new rear glass tinted, just so I can have a film over it to prevent the inevitable glass dump into my rear hatch/cargo area again.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well add me to the list of exploding hatch glass victims.

What worries me is that I have a model year 2022 A spec with 280 km on it (I picked it up last Saturday). So this is the latest "version" of the glass, seals, manufacturing etc. and the dealer will replace it with the same part iteration, which is potentially defective.

Car is garage kept. Temperature in the garage per the car was 2 degrees celsius (so not frozen or anything). I open the door, sit in the driver's seat close the door and pop. I wondered what happened for a second and remembered the threads on the rear glass exploding, looked back, and sure enough there's a big hole in the back glass. I just looked at it in disbelief that it would happen in my brand new car fresh off the assembly line. Nobody is safe from this at this point.

Service advisor said they have 4 other RDXs on their lot waiting for a new back glass. Glass is backordered. At least they acknowledged it was an issue, and they will be putting me in a rental, and all of it will be covered by Acura. It's still not a great start for a brand new car to shit the bed like this in the first week of ownership. It's also a family car, I have 3 young kids and now I'm worried about the pano roof exploding over their heads.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:59 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike969

What worries me is that I have a model year 2022 A spec with 280 km on it (I picked it up last Saturday). So this is the latest "version" of the glass, seals, manufacturing etc. and the dealer will replace it with the same part iteration, which is potentially defective.

Car is garage kept. Temperature in the garage per the car was 2 degrees celsius (so not frozen or anything). I open the door, sit in the driver's seat close the door and pop. I wondered what happened for a second and remembered the threads on the rear glass exploding, looked back, and sure enough there's a big hole in the back glass. I just looked at it in disbelief that it would happen in my brand new car fresh off the assembly line. Nobody is safe from this at this point.

Service advisor said they have 4 other RDXs on their lot waiting for a new back glass. Glass is backordered. At least they acknowledged it was an issue, and they will be putting me in a rental, and all of it will be covered by Acura. It's still not a great start for a brand new car to shit the bed like this in the first week of ownership. It's also a family car, I have 3 young kids and now I'm worried about the pano roof exploding over their heads.
YIKES! Not good. At least Canada Acura is stepping up.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:07 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
YIKES! Not good. At least Canada Acura is stepping up.
Nope, not good. My car is manufactured January 2022, I read somewhere in this thread that the glass supplier and sealing components were changed in 2021, do we know when? It's possible that the window was mounted on the hatch assembly a few months before the build date...

Edit: Pics

Last edited by Mike969; 03-07-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

One last thing on this, knowing that the hatch is Aluminum, I looked up the coefficient of thermal expansion of glass vs. aluminium and found this:

https://www.glewengineering.com/ther...f%20shattering.

"In the simple aluminum-framed window example we presented last week (Figure 1), the aluminum has a CTE of 22 × 10-6 K-1 (22 ppm), which is 2.5 times larger than that of the glass frame, 9 × 10-6 K-1 (9 ppm). This means that as temperature increases or decreases, the aluminum wants to expand or contract at a faster rate than the glass. Since glass also has a much lower ultimate strength than aluminum, this puts the glass at risk of shattering. However, the engineer or designer can specify the use of a flexible gasket (usually made of a synthetic rubber like silicone or EPDM) as a thermal interface material between the two can mitigate possible damage. This same approach can be used with many types of equipment or machinery."

I understand that it could be a bad batch of glass, but given that the issue appears on model years 2019 up to, as I found out today, model year 2022, could it be that the design of the tailgate opening is flawed, or the adhesive used to secure the glass to the tailgate is not flexible enough, or a combination of both? And since my car was built in January 2022, one could assume that the adhesive and glass are of current iteration, and that any replacement made as of now will be done using the same procedure and materials, which means that it will be just as likely now to happen again as it first was.

What a mess.

And the reason why aluminum could be problematic is that steel has a CTE that is much closer to glass, per this table here:

Thermal Expansion Coefficients

So the problem is inherent to aluminum and glass versus more standard steel construction in other car's hatches.

Last edited by Mike969; 03-07-2022 at 12:44 PM.
amcobra (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Sorry to hear about this. Please log your experience/complaint with Acura client relations via their website so a case will be opened and it will be officially documented. We need to get this glass issue turned into a recall or tsb.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:52 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry to hear about this. Please log your experience/complaint with Acura client relations via their website so a case will be opened and it will be officially documented. We need to get this glass issue turned into a recall or tsb.
So I’m in Canada and Acura Canada, unlike Acura USA, at least acknowledges the problem and will fix it under warranty. I would report to Acura USA if I lived in the US.

That said, they’ll likely fix it with the same parts and materials as was already on the car so my confidence level in this car not spontaneously shitting the bed in an explosion of tempered glass and subpar materials engineering won’t be too high.

Last edited by Mike969; 03-07-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:20 PM
Advanced

So I’m in Canada and Acura Canada, unlike Acura USA, at least acknowledges the problem and will fix it under warranty. I would report to Acura USA if I lived in the US.

That said, they’ll likely fix it with the same parts and materials as was already on the car so my confidence level in this car not spontaneously shitting the bed in an explosion of tempered glass and subpar materials engineering won’t be too high.
Gotcha. I don’t trust my new glass either. I just had it tinted to at least avoid glass dumping into my car again.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:01 AM
Racer

This is just an issue with tempered glass. Maybe the supplier for Acura is having some issues, maybe not, I do not know, but it's not an RDX issue that you can avoid by simply buying a different vehicle. Let me demonstrate:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1756777
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/re...loded.3050764/
https://fordauthority.com/2017/12/an...ite-no-impact/
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168127
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...ploded-213127/
https://www.myaudiq5.com/threads/201...attered.37562/
https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda/comme...red_on_mazda3/

https://only1autoglass.com/Blog/entr...u-need-to-know

This is not Acura. This is not RDX. This is not QA/QC fail during COVID (although the rate may have gone up?). This is quite simply the reality of tempered glass and physics. If you don't like it, don't buy a car. THEY ALL CAN DO IT!

Tempered glass is just what it sounds like: Tempered. The glass goes through an oven. The glass is then cooled. It is heated/cooled at different rates by virtue of its thickness. The outside heating and cooling quicker than the inside. This creates tension within the structure of the glass itself. This lends it to magnificent failures when they DO occur, and is also why it granulates instead of turning into steak knives upon said failure.

My advice? Buy what you like, tint the glass, and motor on. ANY CAR CAN HAVE THIS FAILURE. I have proven that above with a few minutes on Google. I spent longer cutting/pasting than I did finding those links.

Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-08-2022 at 05:03 AM.
Dochorahan (12-02-2023)
Old 03-08-2022, 06:51 AM
Suzuka Master

It does not make me feel any better that this issue is not isolated to Acura only. Frankly, I dont care.
We purchased Acura product and they need to take responsibility for it and provide appropriate remedy.
The following 3 users liked this post by russianDude:
Acurafangrl (01-13-2023), leomio2.0 (03-08-2022), Unobtanium (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 06:57 AM
Advanced

It does not make me feel any better that this issue is not isolated to Acura only. Frankly, I dont care.
We purchased Acura product and they need to take responsibility for it and provide appropriate remedy.
Agreed. I couldn’t care less what’s happening with other vehicles. In my 24 years of driving, with probably just as many cars, this is the first one it’s ever happened to. The manufacturer should be taking responsibility for it. Not the consumer or our insurance.
leomio2.0 (03-08-2022)

Quick Reply: 2019 RDX rear window shattering