2019 RDX Advance SHAWD vs. 2019 RAV4 AWD Limited/Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 12:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
WOW so I take back my missing features comment. Mazda seriously is starting to get scary good. Auto power folding mirrors, black headliner, nappa leather, real wood trim, HUD!! Honestly I'm so damn impressed, just a few years ago they were ford reject trash. Now they are genuinely impressive!!

In Canada the current GT goes for around 40k, wonder how high that pushes the signature trimx really bumping against some very premium competitors at that price point.
Yes, very impressive! Only thing I might be missing is a pano roof (a true AWD system also perhaps)
Old 10-28-2018, 02:39 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
WOW so I take back my missing features comment. Mazda seriously is starting to get scary good. Auto power folding mirrors, black headliner, nappa leather, real wood trim, HUD!! Honestly I'm so damn impressed, just a few years ago they were ford reject trash. Now they are genuinely impressive!!

In Canada the current GT goes for around 40k, wonder how high that pushes the signature trimx really bumping against some very premium competitors at that price point.

I aggree!!! Glad to FINALLY see them implementing something better than the N/A 2.5 in everything as the upgrade power plant...

I sat in a new 6 when they came out in 2014, and couldn't believe the fit and finish... I believe the aluminum trim was real, it felt so good...
Old 10-28-2018, 05:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by sxk101
Yes, very impressive! Only thing I might be missing is a pano roof (a true AWD system also perhaps)
Yeah unfortunately it still has the trash part time slip and grip AWD system. Can't hold a candle to SH-AWD and yeah no pano roof either. But what is cool is they seem to be making some very nice changes every couple years. I don't think the refresh will have a pano roof or upgraded awd system though so could be another 5 years till that happens at minimum. Also for the price they are asking I'd take the RDX any second of the week!

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I aggree!!! Glad to FINALLY see them implementing something better than the N/A 2.5 in everything as the upgrade power plant...

I sat in a new 6 when they came out in 2014, and couldn't believe the fit and finish... I believe the aluminum trim was real, it felt so good...
Yeah that 2.5 is downright anemic IMO. Finally listening to people begging for this since 2013 when it only offered the 148hp 2.0l. Yeah the fit and finish of the 2013 CX5 I seen a few years back was AMAZING. I was very very impressed.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CX5 is definetly worth a thought with the turbo. I test drove mazda 6 turbo when it came out and the non turbo cx 5 too. 6 is really good with the turbo and a lot of nice features. But 2 things I disliked were the quality of back up camera and resolution of infotainment screen. Backup camera image was not sharp and lacked dynamic guide lines. 360 camera image also was far from real. Infotainment screen is low resolution. So it would be interesting to see the pricing on signature cx -5. Personally I find rdx a better car overall. By the time cx-5 comes out, rdx discounts would make it an even better option.
The following users liked this post:
acuraada (10-29-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 07:29 PM
Null and proud of it

Saw a funny video about how the 6 has a crappy backup camera, but it also had both a digital and analog fuel gauge right next to each other, !!!

I like the CX5, looks like a good size... A little smaller than the RDX...
Old 10-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I might just wait for the mazde CX5 now..it seems to have a lot of the stuff I want..and my wife really hates the RDX, I mean really hates it....doesnt find it comfortable at all.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:39 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by flames9
I might just wait for the mazde CX5 now..it seems to have a lot of the stuff I want..and my wife really hates the RDX, I mean really hates it....doesnt find it comfortable at all.

If y'all aren't digging the RDX then definitely don't get it... You'll have to either live with it, or take a HUGE financial hit, that is, unless, someone else "accidentally" ran a light, and DON'T ever do that...

How much longer until the CX5 is out? Maybe woth it... I'll leave a few more suggestions, but I'm sure you already know all about them...

Hyundai Tucson 1.6t DCT
Hyundai SantaFe Sport 2.0t 6AT
Kia Sportage 2.0t 6AT
Honda CR-V 1.5t CVT
Ford Escape 1.6t Not Sure (DCT maybe?)
VW Tiguan 2.0t DCT

All I've got for now...

P.S. Looks like that list also stands for reliability - Top to Bottom!!!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:41 PM
Null and proud of it

Shoot, and don't forget the Lexus NX200t with it's 6AT, or did they go to the 8AT yet?

Think someone called this and the CR-V earlier in the thread...

Hope this helped!!!
Old 10-28-2018, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Time to move this thread to Kia/Hyunai/Madza forums. Just remember.. Increasing car price + more horsepower != luxury car
Old 10-28-2018, 10:50 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
So you spend more than 40K for this guzzed up mainstream car and it’s gonna look the same like a $20K RAV 4 / CX that your neighbor has. If at some point you feel you had overpaid for that car, then you are done.
Of course it all depends on how you like it. Why don’t you look at a slightly used Lexus RX for that matter? They are pretty nice. Or do you have to have brand new?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:23 PM
Null and proud of it

Personally, I feel CPO is the way to go!!!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
So you spend more than 40K for this guzzed up mainstream car and it’s gonna look the same like a $20K RAV 4 / CX that your neighbor has. If at some point you feel you had overpaid for that car, then you are done.
Of course it all depends on how you like it. Why don’t you look at a slightly used Lexus RX for that matter? They are pretty nice. Or do you have to have brand new?
Yes, brand new. CPO is good option but looking at these newer technologies and features, i always get dragged to new
Old 10-29-2018, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Looks like I'm late to the party but I will second, third or fourth the CX5. But, I would wait for the 2.5Turbo engine to arrive in Nov. to do a proper comparison.

There will be a new Signature limited model with the Turbo engine.

Few of the pros over the 2019 RDX Advance so far are:

Android auto/Apple Carplay (yes, both)
Auto folding side mirrors (for us US folks)
LED lighting all around.
Recline rear seating
40/20/40 split seats
and of course, about $10k cheaper.

Some of the features that are on par with the *Advance* models
360 surround view
HUD with traffic sign recognition
All of the "normal" safety sense
Rain sensing wipers
front heat/vent seating and rear seat heating

Some of the features that trail behind RDX
No panoramic sunroof
No dynamic driving mode (only S/D)
Limited torque vectoring (SHAWD is still one of the best out there)
No adaptive dampening
No hands-free hatch door (kick open)
Rear floor middle bump (RDX is almost flat)
Bose system is not as good as ELS 3D

Last edited by acuraada; 10-29-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
You are talking features that can be slapped on to any car.

My question is whether the basic car is as good.

The more I live with theRDX, the more I like it as a car, the absence of folding mirrors notwithstanding.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Comfy (10-30-2018), securityguy (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
You are talking features that can be slapped on to any car.

My question is whether the basic car is as good.

The more I live with theRDX, the more I like it as a car, the absence of folding mirrors notwithstanding.
They are features that we talked about a lot here, from HUD to rain sensing wipers to folding mirrors to led signal lights. They are all normal car features but not all of them exist for RDX right? 40/20/40, as an example.

anyways what do you mean as good as a basic car? Do you mean its driving dynamics? Can you be more specific ?

i pretty much ruled out CX5 to even test drive because of its meager 187hp but now with the new engine and additional features, it’s worth a look for cross shopping RDX

Here is a comparison review of CX5 vs Rav vs Crv. all 2018.

Last edited by acuraada; 10-29-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
The way it drives, the solidity of the car, the quality of the materials.

Features are features. We were between an Accord Touring, with everything, and the RDX Tech, with a few things left out. The RDX was superior as a package to own, and the Advance was not worth the difference to me.

One can keep climbing the cost ladder to get more stuff, or a higher quality car, and people have to choose where to stop. For this car, the difference between the RDX Tech was worth the $10K cost difference from the Accord Touring, since the RDX replaced a 535. We felt that the way a 540 would have been fitted out for me it would not have been worth the $70K that would have cost. If we had decided to replace out 2014 Accord EX-L, the 2.0 Touring would have been OK. We drove the Accord and the RDX on the same day, and that decided it for us.
37tzee (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 01:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Features are features. We were between an Accord Touring, with everything, and the RDX Tech, with a few things left out. The RDX was superior as a package to own, and the Advance was not worth the difference to me.

One can keep climbing the cost ladder to get more stuff, or a higher quality car, and people have to choose where to stop. For this car, the difference between the RDX Tech was worth the $10K cost difference from the Accord Touring, since the RDX replaced a 535. We felt that the way a 540 would have been fitted out for me it would not have been worth the $70K that would have cost. If we had decided to replace out 2014 Accord EX-L, the 2.0 Touring would have been OK. We drove the Accord and the RDX on the same day, and that decided it for us.
I think what a lot of people are trying to say is that you have to pay more to get more, and like you, the extra quality was worth the extra money. But for a lot of people the top trim level on some vehicles is good enough.

If OP was to ask about the 2019 Rav4 vs the 2G RDX I hands down would have told him just to get the Rav4, but IMO this new RDX is really the real deal. It looks amazing and is a great value play. It has an AMAZING AWD system and the level of fit and finish is top notch. But is it worth 10K more than a CX5 for example? Hmmm I'm not so sure.

While on the topic of trim levels, there is a good 6k difference between the A-Spec and Platinum-Elite here. The differences are WAY uglier wheels, 360 cams, 16 way seats, HUD, heated rear seats, and Adaptive suspension. From what I hear the cameras on the RDX are not that great so I don't care about the 360 cams, don't care about rear heated seats (no kids), don't care for the adaptive suspension given Acuras' (HORRIBLE) history with them, HUD is cool but I've never had one so meh.

The 16 way seats are the only thing im bummed about, had comfort seats on my X5 and they were incredibly comfortable (shocking right? Haha). But are 16 way seats and an IMHO less attractive exterior worth 6K? Not a chance. So as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:26 AM
Null and proud of it

Going to de-rail this thread for a second because I am in love with the new Accord Touring!!!
Old 10-30-2018, 02:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Going to de-rail this thread for a second because I am in love with the new Accord Touring!!!
Accord touring front, Toyota Camry rear end and interior!
Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 AM
Null and proud of it

Accord touring front, Toyota Camry rear end and interior!

Hate how the Camry killed the foglights all together, just looks cheap... Rear tails look awesome though... Especially love how they're shaped, and how they used nice lettering on the emblems... Black roof isn't for me, and the little vents undee the tail lights are a little tacky... It looks good, and I think it will age well... I love that they kept the V6...

The Accord has that German flow to it all around...

I guess OP is wondering what happening to his thread!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
I recently bought two of them...one for my Son that just graduated Grad school back in July and another in September for Mom in Maryland that I help out. AWESOME cars and me, personally, LOVE the interior and think it is far nicer, mature and elegant than the new Camry. Don't like the Camry interior at all...the layout and materials look cheap to me.

My Mom tells me all the time how people comment about how pretty her car is...she's 76 and still trying to figure out all the electronic widgets Good thing I live 800 miles away so when she has a question she just heads to the dealer down the street.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:18 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You nailed it Madd Dog. No way a Rav4, CX-5, or CR-V will feel as solid as an RDX. They are a tier lower in the car food chain. Great cars all, but still in a different class.

What you are all forgetting too is that with Acura, Lexus, Audi, or Infiniti you are getting a premium dealership experience as well. That's a BIG difference right there and something I argue with friends who purchase Hyundai Genesis. Nice car, but serviced by the same guys who work on $15K Accents. Big difference in dealership experience between Hyundai and say Audi or Lexus.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your choice. No right or wrong answer here. Just base the decision on all the facts noting that some may be irrelevant to you.
Comfy (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by securityguy
I recently bought two of them...one for my Son that just graduated Grad school back in July and another in September for Mom in Maryland that I help out. AWESOME cars and me, personally, LOVE the interior and think it is far nicer, mature and elegant than the new Camry. Don't like the Camry interior at all...the layout and materials look cheap to me.

My Mom tells me all the time how people comment about how pretty her car is...she's 76 and still trying to figure out all the electronic widgets Good thing I live 800 miles away so when she has a question she just heads to the dealer down the street.

The Accord just has a simple elegance to it... I might end up getting one in like 10 years...

I feel bad for OP as conversation can't stay on track...

She visits vtec often?
securityguy (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 06:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 37tzee
You nailed it Madd Dog. No way a Rav4, CX-5, or CR-V will feel as solid as an RDX. They are a tier lower in the car food chain. Great cars all, but still in a different class.

What you are all forgetting too is that with Acura, Lexus, Audi, or Infiniti you are getting a premium dealership experience as well. That's a BIG difference right there and something I argue with friends who purchase Hyundai Genesis. Nice car, but serviced by the same guys who work on $15K Accents. Big difference in dealership experience between Hyundai and say Audi or Lexus.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your choice. No right or wrong answer here. Just base the decision on all the facts noting that some may be irrelevant to you.
i am pretty sure I was told exactly the same thing when I tell people I am considering Acura, coming from a Mercedes.

Especially where the dealership has Honda/Acura right next to each other sharing the same service department.

anyways, while I didn’t test drive the CX5, the fit and finish is quality. While it doesn’t have the wow factor of acura’s Electronic array of buttons nor GLC’s piano coated elegance, they are well made and the buttons feels solid. The door slam test is also solid, unlike the Subaru’s (if we are talking about the same price category)

I do think Mazda can give Acura a run for it’s money, just like Acura gives the German the same treatment.

but the judgment is still out there with the new 2.5T
Old 10-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada

i am pretty sure I was told exactly the same thing when I tell people I am considering Acura, coming from a Mercedes.

Especially where the dealership has Honda/Acura right next to each other sharing the same service department.

anyways, while I didn’t test drive the CX5, the fit and finish is quality. While it doesn’t have the wow factor of acura’s Electronic array of buttons nor GLC’s piano coated elegance, they are well made and the buttons feels solid. The door slam test is also solid, unlike the Subaru’s (if we are talking about the same price category)

I do think Mazda can give Acura a run for it’s money, just like Acura gives the German the same treatment.

Having owned a Mercedes, Audi, and Acura, as well as Mazdas and Hondas, my experience is that the MB and Audi dealers' experience is a bit better than Acura, but the difference between Acura and Honda/Mazda is way bigger. I've always been a fan of Mazdas - having owned two RX-7's and two 626's - and am very impressed with the fit and finish on there latest offerings, but still no comparison dealer-wise with a premium brand.

At the end of the day, it's your money and what is important to you, and I certainly respect that.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acuraada

Totally agree with this.

The dealership experience at Acura is pretty good here, loaners for even minor things like oil changes, and very good level of care, but it's not worlds above my Hyundai dealer and the Local audi dealership is trash here. Same with infiniti. Porsche and Land rover are not bad but nothing crazy either.

The CRAZIEST dealership experience here is the Lexus dealership. They have a game room, candy bar, spa, virtual golf, day care...I'm forgetting a few things. Truly a world class dealership.

My point being that nicer brands don't always have a nicer experience and also some of this stuff doesn't matter to some people. I only care that my dealership treats me with respect amd honesty and takes care of my car. I don't care about all the frilly stuff that surely adds to my repair/service costs.

My Acura dealer a few years ago miscommunicated with me and told me my power steering pump on my RDX was broken causing squirrly steering at the limits, so I paid $500 to repair it. Well looking at the service order I seen that it was a blind guess! It never fixed my issue either! Called the service manager and he promptly refunded my money and set up another appointment to figure it out. Keep in mind I am younger so being treated with respect means the world to me and not just some kid. That level of care won me over.

IMO Acura is a premium brand, not a luxury brand and Mazda really is bumping against that premium segment with their signature trim.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:05 PM
Null and proud of it

Acura dealer in Jackson, Mississippi is pretty nice... They have a snack bar, tv lounge and a few otger things... Words above Acura in New Orleans...

But, you've got a vacation resort there!!!
Old 10-30-2018, 10:27 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Totally agree with this.

The dealership experience at Acura is pretty good here, loaners for even minor things like oil changes, and very good level of care, but it's not worlds above my Hyundai dealer and the Local audi dealership is trash here. Same with infiniti. Porsche and Land rover are not bad but nothing crazy either.

The CRAZIEST dealership experience here is the Lexus dealership. They have a game room, candy bar, spa, virtual golf, day care...I'm forgetting a few things. Truly a world class dealership.

My point being that nicer brands don't always have a nicer experience and also some of this stuff doesn't matter to some people. I only care that my dealership treats me with respect amd honesty and takes care of my car. I don't care about all the frilly stuff that surely adds to my repair/service costs.

My Acura dealer a few years ago miscommunicated with me and told me my power steering pump on my RDX was broken causing squirrly steering at the limits, so I paid $500 to repair it. Well looking at the service order I seen that it was a blind guess! It never fixed my issue either! Called the service manager and he promptly refunded my money and set up another appointment to figure it out. Keep in mind I am younger so being treated with respect means the world to me and not just some kid. That level of care won me over.

IMO Acura is a premium brand, not a luxury brand and Mazda really is bumping against that premium segment with their signature trim.
Man,..... you guys got some nice Acura dealers out there. The only Acura dealership which I have access to has a lounge bar with TV, coffee and snacks, but that's it. They never give out loaners, even when car is under warranty for a repair. They state that the only time they will consider giving loaners is if there is a warranty issue needing more than two hours of labor. And that never happens ..usually. My car is out of warranty anyway and I can completely forget getting my hands on a newer model as a loaner. Enjoy , you lucky fellas.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
Man,..... you guys got some nice Acura dealers out there. The only Acura dealership which I have access to has a lounge bar with TV, coffee and snacks, but that's it. They never give out loaners, even when car is under warranty for a repair. They state that the only time they will consider giving loaners is if there is a warranty issue needing more than two hours of labor. And that never happens ..usually. My car is out of warranty anyway and I can completely forget getting my hands on a newer model as a loaner. Enjoy , you lucky fellas.
Yeah no I LOVE my Acura dealer, I don't have time during the weekdays to sit for an hour or two for an oil change and I really don't want to spend a couple hours at the dealer on a weekend so the loaners are a God send to me. Mine gives them out with no questions asked, love them.