Name some issues you are having with your MDX.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Name some issues you are having with your MDX.

My brother and I bought an Acura MDX in June. His was a 2014 and Mine a 2015. I've always had fears about first year cars. Well, it turns out, he is having more issues with his car then mine. His car has been back to the shop twice and mine once. Below are the issues we have experienced.

1. All MDX, regardless of year seems to have inconsistent headliner problems. It looks like the glue or something is not applied correctly. Go ahead and look at your headliners, you will see the inconstant, bubbling look on your headliner. Talk about poor quality control

2. My brother's touch screen flickers on and off. It's inconsistent and his dealer has yet to come up with a solution. To make matters worse, his dealer put 300 miles on his car!!! Is that even acceptable? They also for some reason decided to do an oil change on a car less then 1000 miles on it. WTF!!! Lets just say it's a MN dealer and I won't name any names of the dealership yet. But if they can't get things done right, thanks to the world of SEO, when the words Acura, Worst, Bad, are typed in google search, their dealership will always come up first! Not to mention Forums are a deadly places too.

3. My brother's car pulls pretty badly. Already had to get an alignment done.

4. My car had a defective rear bumper. They had to install a new bumper.

5. The fit and finish on both cars is marginal. It reminds me of a Chrysler product. The trims outside do not align correctly and even the doors don't seem to fit quite right.

All in all, thanks to my amazing dealership, the experience has been more positive with me. It's great and assuring to know that they have my back and to add icing on the cake, they even extended my warranty to 100k miles for free! As for my brother, poor guy, his car and his dealership has been the worst experience every! He thought his BMW was bad, now he is wondering if he should of stuck with the BMW.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:53 AM
tpk
10th Gear

My 2014 awd, tech, touchscreen also flickers on and off after 2 weeks of getting it. I record on video but have not gone to the dealer yet.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Advanced

Had the tsb for the chirping noise..that's it..car drives great and gas mileage is about 20 mostly city driving
Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Cruisin'

You are doing better then me for gas milage. I am averaging 18mpg. I was really hoping for 20's.
Originally Posted by gulu100
Had the tsb for the chirping noise..that's it..car drives great and gas mileage is about 20 mostly city driving
Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got a defective DVD player at delivery that took 2 visits to the Dealer before it got working. I still have white body paint on my headlamp. I had a call to Acura care line while traveling interstate at 800 miles on the Odometer for an unexplained drained battery. No reason found. The tape that covers the inside of the door rubber gaskets are crumbled and scratch the fingers. There are gaps between doors indicating alignment problems.

Compared to our second car which is a Lexus 350 Rx, this is a lemon. I made the biggest mistake extrapolating my great Honda experience over a decade to Acura. If I have more problems, I will trade this in and buy a Lexus SUV. I am also going to tell as many people as I can never to buy an Acura.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I have heard all of the BS about you only get complaints on forums but maybe, at least, giving the forum a read may have saved you thousands. The problems noted above are not problems, they are features.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nvsage
Well, it turns out, he is having more issues with his car then mine. .
So he had the problems first and then yours?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you said issues and not complaints I will reply. I have 800 miles on my 2015 ADVs and so far we love it but I wish they had given the option of tying the volume of the voice prompts to the volume of the audio system. When I'm using the nav turn it up if I'm enjoying the audio and need the nav prompts. This done on my motorcycle.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Going to agree with #5 - the fit and finish along with door/panel gaps is actually either done on purpose to not even come close to being right or just pure sloppiness.

I'll also add that the entire center control/touch screen/infotainment/etc is probably the worst designed system I've ever used or experienced. Even my wife who drives the car on a daily basis can't figure out stuff - counter intuitive might be a word here I might also add that we are both engineers

The car does drive wonderful however and I think the interior is beautiful.
The following users liked this post:
nvsage (08-12-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Had the famous vibration noise on driver side which was fixed.

Other issues:

* Front bumper misaligned
* Slow touch screen interface
* Interior seems noisier after 15K miles, especially over bumps (or broken/rough concrete freeways)

Otherwise everything else is great.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Not having one is my main issue. I've been pretty lazy in fixing this however.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

We both had our own problems. He confirmed that his MDX also has headliner issues. If you have a 3rd generation MDX, look at your headliner, it is the sloppiest job I've ever seen on a headliner! I talk to him only twice a week or so, so we just share our issues when we do talk. He is in MN, I am in FL.

Couldn't agree with you more poster #5, and #9. My background is a Apple System Developer, A/V Home Automation Consultant and Designer, Cisco network engineer. Other then the car driving like a quiet Mini Van, which my 7 month old seems to love, the user interface, voice recognition, and quality control is junk!
Originally Posted by db22
So he had the problems first and then yours?

Last edited by nvsage; 08-12-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by doug_999
Going to agree with #5 - the fit and finish along with door/panel gaps is actually either done on purpose to not even come close to being right or just pure sloppiness.

I'll also add that the entire center control/touch screen/infotainment/etc is probably the worst designed system I've ever used or experienced. Even my wife who drives the car on a daily basis can't figure out stuff - counter intuitive might be a word here I might also add that we are both engineers

The car does drive wonderful however and I think the interior is beautiful.
It's definitely not optimal. However I've experienced much worse.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Darn it I have the same problem and its driving me insane!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just bought the 2015 Black on Black MDX SH-AWD with Tech. My known issues so far are the body panel edge where the paint and the read right tail light meet had paint peeling off. Very minor but it kills me to see it. I guess there was no clearance for the rear tail light and body panel. When they installed it, it tend to peel of the paint on the edge of the car. I had to use clear coat and did some touch up on it. Second, the car seems to have a slight issue of Alignment. The steering wheel is about 2-3 degree to the right at all time, sometime worst depend on the road. I just see that the Steering wheel is not dead center when driving straight. Any has these issues and do dealerships fix these?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i've had my 2014 awd tech for 6 weeks. around 1800 miles. no real complaints so far. very happy with my purchase.
I am however having an issue sporadically with the heated seats. Sometimes they just wont turn on. I'll push the button and then select the desired heat level and it will just flash but not turn on. The only way to get it to work when it is doing this is to stop the car and turn it off (the car not seat) and then back on again.
It's happened around 6 or 7 times since i purchased the vehicle and is very hard to reproduce when i want to so i don't think taking it to the dealer will solve anything... i guess it just one of the quirks of the car...
anyone else have this happen?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kirkland715
i've had my 2014 awd tech for 6 weeks. around 1800 miles. no real complaints so far. very happy with my purchase.
I am however having an issue sporadically with the heated seats. Sometimes they just wont turn on. I'll push the button and then select the desired heat level and it will just flash but not turn on. The only way to get it to work when it is doing this is to stop the car and turn it off (the car not seat) and then back on again.
It's happened around 6 or 7 times since i purchased the vehicle and is very hard to reproduce when i want to so i don't think taking it to the dealer will solve anything... i guess it just one of the quirks of the car...
anyone else have this happen?
Never really tried the heated seat. Too hot in San Diego. But i will tho. Thanks
Old 08-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nvsage
Other then the car driving like a quiet Mini Van, which my 7 month old seems to love, the user interface, voice recognition, and quality control is junk!
This then instead of than in your posts make for tough reading. I realize that English may not be your first language but then and than are not interchangeable and frequently make the sentence mean something other than you wanted to state.
nvsage (08-18-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 05:57 PM
6th Gear

my MDX 2015 .... the door is uneven.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Cruisin'

That's one hell of a gap!

Originally Posted by anotherng
my MDX 2015 .... the door is uneven.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks and I agree. I always get annoyed when people use Their and There wrong. Yes, you are right, English is my third language.
Best

Originally Posted by db22
This then instead of than in your posts make for tough reading. I realize that English may not be your first language but then and than are not interchangeable and frequently make the sentence mean something other than you wanted to state.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 PM
tpk
10th Gear

Originally Posted by tpk
My 2014 awd, tech, touchscreen also flickers on and off after 2 weeks of getting it. I record on video but have not gone to the dealer yet.
So I took the car to dealer and show them the video of screen flickers. They came back and said that its the software problem, they have to re-install the software. Let's see what happen after.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Brought the MDX home on Tuesday (8/26), actually bought it on Saturday but they found a piece of molding on the roof was damaged and they had to order the part. Then I had to bring the car back for service on Wednesday (8/27) because the steering wheel was off center to the left by about 5 degrees and the car didn't beep when locking. Service advisor said he didn't think the car beeps when you lock it. After getting the car back, I read the manual which says the car does beep when locking it - then found that the car alarm was not working that night. Decided to wait until Friday - but brought the car back again and they had to fix the hood latch adjustment to get the car to realize the hood was closed.

All issues have been fixed by the dealer so far - but I'm hoping I don't have any other issues!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
New 2015 MDX,SH-AWD, Advanced

Have had my 2015 MDX SH-AWD, Advanced for about two weeks. Many day and night test drives plus a trip up to the mountains east of San Diego to PUSH it to its SPORTS limit..

I traded in my 2010 TL SH-AWD-Tech so I have had 4 years of enjoying the TL SH-AWD capabilities, but the next generation MDX or TLX take it to the next level... This SUV hugs the road, and does NOT feel Top Heavy at all..

After VERY CLOSE inspection of the exterior and interior for fit and finish I had Zero Issues upon delivery.. After looking it over even more carefully the last two weeks still have zero issues.

I have fully integrated my Galaxy 5S phone into the car, have mastered about 40 voice commands, had a head start from the TL, and tested most electronic feature, but not the FCW luckily.. Would be nice to see the heads up display, but then who needs a demonstration of air bags going off,,, LOL..

Traffic and Weather (Via The AHA APP) works well, and the Speaker system from the added features of the Entertainment Package adds a spacious sound to the cabin...

Acura may not have every bell and whistle, but what they do, they do very well... So after two weeks, I am VERY HAPPY with the MDX. I loved my TL, but for me this is every bit the car the TL was and a whole lot more...

Curious3GTL (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Brought the MDX home on Tuesday (8/26), actually bought it on Saturday but they found a piece of molding on the roof was damaged and they had to order the part. Then I had to bring the car back for service on Wednesday (8/27) because the steering wheel was off center to the left by about 5 degrees and the car didn't beep when locking. Service advisor said he didn't think the car beeps when you lock it. After getting the car back, I read the manual which says the car does beep when locking it - then found that the car alarm was not working that night. Decided to wait until Friday - but brought the car back again and they had to fix the hood latch adjustment to get the car to realize the hood was closed.

All issues have been fixed by the dealer so far - but I'm hoping I don't have any other issues!

Need two press the lock button TWICE for the car to beep.. This was done as to NOT disturb a family member when you arrive home late or... If you press Once you will get a Green Light command back that the unit is sync.. I have the Advanced with remote start, can't speak for a remote that does not have this feature.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX

Need two press the lock button TWICE for the car to beep.. This was done as to NOT disturb a family member when you arrive home late or... If you press Once you will get a Green Light command back that the unit is sync.. I have the Advanced with remote start, can't speak for a remote that does not have this feature.
Yes I know, may not have said it clearly in my original post. Before they fixed the hood latch, pressing the lock button twice on the key fob did not result in the car beeping nor did pressing the button on the door handle. The alarm also did not work.

Now that they fixed the hood latch the car beeps and the alarm arms.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Racer

A.SEL Feature and SIRI + More

On my wife’s 2009 TSX and on my 2010TL and other cars going back some 15 years, they all came with a A.Sel button. Drive from one major city to another, San Diego to Las Vegas, hit A.Sel and the radio will scan and store FM and AM radio stations for that city. Hit A.Sel again and it reverts back to the stored memory for your home city. Missing on the MDX or TLX, RLX... No SIRI for the MDX, Is available on the TLX, missing on the RLX. Already contacted Acura and requested that a software update be made available for those who want it. We know that they have already done software upgrades for the RDX. I told them this is not a RECALL issue but rather features they should have added day one. Let’s see what happens as I prepare letters to mail to Honda America Engineering group with CC: to the USA president of Honda USA. Everything else has been perfect.. SH-AWD ,,IDS is a dream with it in Sport and the transmission in S mode. Wish they would have added auto tilt in side mirrors, headlight washers like the Canadian models and fog lights for the advanced model. The car would have than been COMPLETE... Traded in my 2010 TL for the 2015 MDX-SHAWD-Advanced..
Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Honda OG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
* Slow touch screen interface
I've experienced the same. There has to be something Acura can do to address this.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Racer

Mine is fine...

Originally Posted by NelsonLee
I've experienced the same. There has to be something Acura can do to address this.
I don't have that problem. When I touch the screen and get the positive feedback on my finger the screen changes as indicated. Also voice response is fine as well.

2015 AWD-Advanced
Old 09-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I don't have that problem. When I touch the screen and get the positive feedback on my finger the screen changes as indicated. Also voice response is fine as well.

2015 AWD-Advanced
Yours might have an updated head unit. I know Acura was replacing head units on 2014 Tech/Adv for a while but they stopped for some reason. Oh well.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Yours might have an updated head unit. I know Acura was replacing head units on 2014 Tech/Adv for a while but they stopped for some reason. Oh well.
OH!! Well that is interesting to know!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 PM
agh
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing! Did the software re-install fix it? My screen flashes on and off where the temp controls are. It's at the dealer right now and they said they were going to replace the heater control I think. They don't know what's causing the problem so they are doing process of elongation. I'd love to point them in the rigt direction if possible!

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by tpk
So I took the car to dealer and show them the video of screen flickers. They came back and said that its the software problem, they have to re-install the software. Let's see what happen after.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:19 PM
tpk
10th Gear

I think they forgot about my problem since I haven't push them to fix it. They did not reinstall any software yet. My dealer just say that if they find out they will give me a call. My screen still flashes sometimes. Let me know how they fix yours, if they can?
agh (12-03-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Same here. But my cause is not lazyness...it is lack of cabbage...$$$$$$

Wait til spring...sigh....
Old 12-03-2014, 06:53 PM
agh
5th Gear

Originally Posted by tpk
I think they forgot about my problem since I haven't push them to fix it. They did not reinstall any software yet. My dealer just say that if they find out they will give me a call. My screen still flashes sometimes. Let me know how they fix yours, if they can?
They replaced the heater controller (not sure the technical name) but that didn't fix it. I hate that they had to eat the cost of a $1700 job and it didn't even fix the problem.

The dealer has called in to the tech people at Acura to try to find a solution but hasn't gotten back to me....

Now I'm getting the message "Incompatible USB Device" for no good reason. Weird. I would love to get these issues resolved since my car is < 1 year old! I'll let you know if we come up with anything!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Extremely short remote starter range (<75')
Can't seem to disable nav voice
Lane tracking veers to the left
Back up camera show b/w and the direction overlays are delayed to the point of almost being useless

She goes in tomorrow for a oil change (5K) and to address the squawks.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
many of the new MDXs I see on the lot have poor bumper fit, especially the rear driver side. Really sad considering the top quality honda reputation...i think thats in the can with the airbags and these kind of quality issues
Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Racer

It is all a function of DC power in the remote

Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest
Extremely short remote starter range (<75')
Can't seem to disable nav voice
Lane tracking veers to the left
Back up camera show b/w and the direction overlays are delayed to the point of almost being useless

She goes in tomorrow for a oil change (5K) and to address the squawks.
As I stated before I replaced the batteries in my remote with high quality Duracell Quantum and gained 24% increase in DC power. 200 Feet Plus is not unusual for my remote. I used a ZTS Pulse Load Battery Tester to validate the original batteries, Factory new, car had 100 miles on it were 18% below specification. I have a very GOOD understanding of battery types and power rating. I am sure you have all heard of Sanyo eneloop AA or AAA batteries, best battery I have ever owned for my digital cameras and flash, BUT not for all applications. a Standard AA battery is 1.54 Volts, the eneloop is 1.2 volt. When I got my 2010 TL, the remote seems to be a bit under powered, so I opened it up, car had 1500 miles on it, and the 3 volt CR3026 was 2.91 volts, and my tester showed a 50% overall power rating.. Acura was nice and gave me another replacement that was a whopping 2.99 volts, so I asked for a third replacement after convincing them that normal should be 3.21 volts, and the third one was a charm at 3.19 volts.. My tester showed a power rating of 98%. I also have a Fluke 289 meter that tells me a lot as well when it comes to voltage. Give us an update after you get your car back, thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
As I stated before I replaced the batteries in my remote with high quality Duracell Quantum and gained 24% increase in DC power. 200 Feet Plus is not unusual for my remote. I used a ZTS Pulse Load Battery Tester to validate the original batteries, Factory new, car had 100 miles on it were 18% below specification. I have a very GOOD understanding of battery types and power rating. I am sure you have all heard of Sanyo eneloop AA or AAA batteries, best battery I have ever owned for my digital cameras and flash, BUT not for all applications. a Standard AA battery is 1.54 Volts, the eneloop is 1.2 volt. When I got my 2010 TL, the remote seems to be a bit under powered, so I opened it up, car had 1500 miles on it, and the 3 volt CR3026 was 2.91 volts, and my tester showed a 50% overall power rating.. Acura was nice and gave me another replacement that was a whopping 2.99 volts, so I asked for a third replacement after convincing them that normal should be 3.21 volts, and the third one was a charm at 3.19 volts.. My tester showed a power rating of 98%. I also have a Fluke 289 meter that tells me a lot as well when it comes to voltage. Give us an update after you get your car back, thanks
Thanks! I just ordered Duracell Quantum DL2032 to try - Hopefully they improve the dismal range.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Racer

Let Us Know

Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest
Thanks! I just ordered Duracell Quantum DL2032 to try - Hopefully they improve the dismal range.
Let us know your results. These are the specifications for a Duracell Duralock, the key is the 220 MAH rating..That is almost 1/4 of an AMP..

Duracell special application batteries offer reliable, long-lasting power you’ve come to expect from Duracell. And you can be assured it’s a battery you can trust since Duracell is the #1 trusted brand of pharmacists and medical & office professionals.
Duracell with DuraLock Power Preserve™ Technology
Guaranteed for 10 years in storage.
High purity lithium
Triple corrosion protection
IEC: CR2032
3.0 Volt
Size (mm): 3 x 20 x 20
220 mAh
The Duracell 2032 battery is designed for use in:
Security devices
Fitness devices
Calculators
Medical devices
Watches
Key fobs and more

Quick Reply: Name some issues you are having with your MDX.