2014 MDX is here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
How exciting!

Did they show you any colour chips or anything like that? I am very curious to see if Forest Mist Metallic is just like that dark green/grey metallic colour in the PR photo that Acura had. Also, I would very much like to find out what "eucalyptus" is like as an interior colour!!!
Unfortunately not, they don't have anything to show us yet! But the Forest Mist is that dark/green/grey metallic Acura has on the website, interior eucalyptus color is a mystery !!!! Dealer says it should be similar to "gray"?? I was thinking something like a light brown maybe? Well, either will look nice I guess, as long it's not green inside . I asked about the Krell Audio , but I am pretty sure that will not be available (yet).I'm also looking in to the 360° camera view (Canadian model), if there is a way to get that! Wondering if they will have the illuminated door sill plate like they have for RLX. As soon I find out more I will post here for sure!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
one more gripe.. what the hell is up with the OPEN cup holders! looks so cheap! It needs a sliding cover!
Have to agree here! That center would look 100x cleaner had it been covered!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by alkus77
I'm also looking in to the 360° camera view (Canadian model), if there is a way to get that!
Thanks, Alkus!

Do you mean that the 360 degree camera will be in the Canadian model only, but not the US model? Now I am very curious!

Here in Canada, I saw the press release from Acura, and they mentioned some "Canada only content" (whatever that means!) and then mentioned heated steering wheel.... well, that would be nice for our climate up here for sure! LOL! Maybe it should come with a snow plow as an accessory at the front too... LOL! Anyway, I am wondering if the 360 degree camera is another "Canada only content"? Well, I guess they are just trying to find ways to justify charging us $10,000 more per MDX up here again... sigh!

I can't wait to find out what "eucalyptus" is like as a colour.... I do hope it's a brownish colour, as I am a fan of all of these shades of brown for the Acura leather interior (umbra, Sumatra etc). They are simply gorgeous!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Thanks, Alkus!

Do you mean that the 360 degree camera will be in the Canadian model only, but not the US model? Now I am very curious!

Here in Canada, I saw the press release from Acura, and they mentioned some "Canada only content" (whatever that means!) and then mentioned heated steering wheel.... well, that would be nice for our climate up here for sure! LOL! Maybe it should come with a snow plow as an accessory at the front too... LOL! Anyway, I am wondering if the 360 degree camera is another "Canada only content"? Well, I guess they are just trying to find ways to justify charging us $10,000 more per MDX up here again... sigh!

I can't wait to find out what "eucalyptus" is like as a colour.... I do hope it's a brownish colour, as I am a fan of all of these shades of brown for the Acura leather interior (umbra, Sumatra etc). They are simply gorgeous!
Thanks Ostrich!

That is what looks like for the 360 camera, there are not mentioning anything here in US yet, this is from the Acura Canada : " In addition, the available new Surround View Camera System will allow Canadian drivers to have a 360-degree view of the exterior of the vehicle" .
In the Acura website here there is nothing saying about the camera having a 360 degrees view. Also you guys in Canada will get 4 years concierge , here is 3 years with the basic service ( maybe that is why they are charging extra 10 K there).

I hope eucalyptus is a brownnish color too!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Thanks Ostrich!

That is what looks like for the 360 camera, there are not mentioning anything here in US yet, this is from the Acura Canada : " In addition, the available new Surround View Camera System will allow Canadian drivers to have a 360-degree view of the exterior of the vehicle" .
In the Acura website here there is nothing saying about the camera having a 360 degrees view. Also you guys in Canada will get 4 years concierge , here is 3 years with the basic service ( maybe that is why they are charging extra 10 K there).

I hope eucalyptus is a brownnish color too!
Oh boy! If this special Canadian pricing will give me a $10,000 360 degree rear camera and an extra year of concierge service, I would gladly tell Acura Canada to keep this "Canada only content" and give me my $10,000 back!!!!! LOL!

Seriously, since they have equalized the RDX and now RLX pricing between the States and Canada, I really hope that they will do the same for the 2014 MDX. There is NOTHING that they can do to justify any $10,000 price difference that they have now between the US and Canadian 2013 MDX!!!!!!!!!! If they don't correct this ridiculous gap, I will have no choice but to go for the X3 instead, when my current lease is up in 2014......
Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
i know it looks boring, motor is somewhat uninspiring compare to other force induction choices in the similar price category. But this will be my next car (will wait for the '15 model, never buy 1st year model year cars). the new MDX may not standout in certain category, but it has no weakness either, and in most cases boring looking cars/suvs retain better resale values, no one wants to buy some strange looking cars designed for last decade. plus the fact Acura is keeping the SH-AWD option open is icing on the cake. i just hope the price doesn't jump up that much. $43k before tax for a Technology package SH-AWD model after some negotiation is definitely fine with me.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I recently took a GL450 for a test drive with the wifey and she really liked the 360 camera view. Not a deal breaker for me, I imagine that Acura will save it for the MMC in 2017.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by kevTL888
i know it looks boring, motor is somewhat uninspiring compare to other force induction choices in the similar price category. But this will be my next car (will wait for the '15 model, never buy 1st year model year cars). the new MDX may not standout in certain category, but it has no weakness either, and in most cases boring looking cars/suvs retain better resale values, no one wants to buy some strange looking cars designed for last decade. plus the fact Acura is keeping the SH-AWD option open is icing on the cake. i just hope the price doesn't jump up that much. $43k before tax for a Technology package SH-AWD model after some negotiation is definitely fine with me.
I'm on your side, but out of the gate, I think they'll offer this config close to 55K. Possibly 60K with all the bells and whistles. Prices may drop or there will be some incentives or room for negotiation later down the road.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

I was just reading the car.com review for MY2014: http://www.cars.com/acura/mdx/2014/e...s/?revid=59461

Interior

The wider wheelbase and more compact rear suspension creates additional room for third-row passengers as well as easier access from a wider entryway. The MDX has a sliding and reclining second row that moves forward with a one-touch walk-in feature activated from the second row or by passengers in the third row with their own button. The 2014's new center dashboard reduces the number of buttons from 41 to nine buttons. Interior features include:

Standard one-touch third-row access
Standard heated front seats
Leather seating
LED accent lighting
Available second-row sunshades
Available smart key access
Available remote start
Available rear DVD system with 9-inch screen
Available rear DVD system with 16.2-inch screen

I have read about the 16.2 inch screen that's supposed to be a pull-down from the roof, but what is this 9" option? This is the first i'm hearing of this.

If i can get 2 dual 9" screens behind the front seat headrest, that would be my preferred choice. I believe the JX offers this setup.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

found my answer: http://acuranews.com/channels/acura-...onal-auto-show

The available Entertainment package adds a DVD Rear Entertainment system with a 9-inch full VGA screen for the rear seats, while the Advance package replaces the 9-inch monitor with an ultra-wide, 16.2-inch full VGA screen with HDMI compatibility for devices such as a game console.

Still dont know if its dual 9" screens or just 1 9" pull down.

Last edited by TiggaMan909; 04-30-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

The 9" screen is what the current MDX has. The 16.2" screen is this:

Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cars hit showrooms at end May

I also dropped by my dealer and he confirmed that sales staff are being trained on 14th May, with all new marketing materials etc available at that time. Expecting their first delivery at end of May.

Got a call today from dealer asking to stop by to put 1K deposit for the 2014 model. Color Forest Mist Metallic/Eucalyptus , Advance AWD. They say will be here first week of June ( hope so). I asked for an accessories list and that is not available yet, should be available mid May.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Brumby11
I also dropped by my dealer and he confirmed that sales staff are being trained on 14th May, with all new marketing materials etc available at that time. Expecting their first delivery at end of May.
Sales staff are being trained - I bet that session won't last very long!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
The 9" screen is what the current MDX has. The 16.2" screen is this:

I expect this system to be the same one that is presently offered in the Odyssey Touring with Ent. Check out the Honda website for more info.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:49 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by db22
I expect this system to be the same one that is presently offered in the Odyssey Touring with Ent. Check out the Honda website for more info.
Good catch and thanks for the tip!

I read up on the honda odyssey entertainment system and it looks promising. I like the screen size and the split screen feature but i don't like the placement. Would have preferred a dual screen setup with a dedicated monitor behind each headrest. That setup just looks cleaner in my opinion.

Certainly not a deal breaker but would have been a nice option.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 AM
1st Gear

Good catch and thanks for the tip!

I read up on the honda odyssey entertainment system and it looks promising. I like the screen size and the split screen feature but i don't like the placement. Would have preferred a dual screen setup with a dedicated monitor behind each headrest. That setup just looks cleaner in my opinion.

Certainly not a deal breaker but would have been a nice option.
I was of that exact same opinion about having dual headrest monitors until I actually acquired my 2010 elite. (Canada). I understood why its that way and has to stay that way. My oldest son was sitting in the third row and cued me on it with a very simple sentence... DAD ! I can see the DVD player from back here, its great !

Now, having two baby car seats in the middle row and my two oldest (8 and 10) in the back is not everybody else's issue, but still something worth noting

So I think the design is good based on the fact that smaller kids in the third row can actually see it vs being in a coffin back there.

Scy
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by Scyan
I was of that exact same opinion about having dual headrest monitors until I actually acquired my 2010 elite. (Canada). I understood why its that way and has to stay that way. My oldest son was sitting in the third row and cued me on it with a very simple sentence... DAD ! I can see the DVD player from back here, its great !

Now, having two baby car seats in the middle row and my two oldest (8 and 10) in the back is not everybody else's issue, but still something worth noting

So I think the design is good based on the fact that smaller kids in the third row can actually see it vs being in a coffin back there.

Scy
Great feedback and that makes total sense!

Do you guys ever have safety concerns about the 3rd row? I've got 4 year old in a booster and another one on the way. We were looking for something with captains chairs just to get easy access even while the car was in motion. Obviously the MDX doesn't offer that and i'm not too keen on the makes that do.

My wife has some really strong reservations about putting a booster or car seat back there, especially if she can't physically get to it without having to stop and pull the car over. On our road trips, I'm driving and she's hanging out in the back. We could put the car seat and the booster in the 2nd row but i dont think that will leave much room for anyone else.

I dont think this will be too much of a concern as the kids get older, but would love to hear how you guys manage.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
The first production MDX rolled off the assembly line today!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
The first production MDX rolled off the assembly line today!

I have a few pictures.

The following 6 users liked this post by Timmy18:
Acura_Dude (05-04-2013), alkus77 (05-03-2013), F23A4 (05-04-2013), honda_nut (05-06-2013), IMSOLAZY (05-09-2013), SlimTL (05-04-2013) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Looking forward to taking one for a spin.

Not sure yet how quickly we'll replace our '08 Tech w/ only 36k, but on paper this thing is nothing but win and more win.

Now let's see those MSRP's!
The following 2 users liked this post by Fibonacci:
Acura_Dude (05-04-2013), Timmy18 (05-02-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Instructor

And we got fog lights!!!!!! New picture just uploaded Acura.com ! It's an accessory! But looks very good I like it!
The following 2 users liked this post by alkus77:
TiggaMan909 (05-13-2013), Timmy18 (05-04-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Oh boy! If this special Canadian pricing will give me a $10,000 360 degree rear camera and an extra year of concierge service, I would gladly tell Acura Canada to keep this "Canada only content" and give me my $10,000 back!!!!! LOL!

Seriously, since they have equalized the RDX and now RLX pricing between the States and Canada, I really hope that they will do the same for the 2014 MDX. There is NOTHING that they can do to justify any $10,000 price difference that they have now between the US and Canadian 2013 MDX!!!!!!!!!! If they don't correct this ridiculous gap, I will have no choice but to go for the X3 instead, when my current lease is up in 2014......
Well... Hope the difference will be less than that in Canada , In US should be around 56k the advance model, r u sure will be an extra 10k over there? Found out today Acura is adding the fog lights as an accessory, look very cool now.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by db22
You maybe should not assume that I do not understand the purpose of fog lights or that I haven't driven in the fog.
1 Have you ever driven with just your fog lights on?
2 Have you ever driven with fog lights of a 2700K color temperature?
3 Have you ever driven with low mounted "driving lights"? (otherwise known as "pencil beam lights")

As for you not understanding why HIDs in fog lights is a bad idea then refer to question #2.

Problem in the USA:
You are not allowed to only have your fog lights on therefore the headlights light up the fog due to their spread pattern and their height.
There is no mandate for using the optimum color temperature in fog lights because, as you implied, most people don't use them for fog, they are used as accent lighting.
Fog is typically rarest at 1 to 2 feet above the ground which is why fog lights are mounted low. For the same reason a thin pencil beam light should be used to illuminate a greater distance than fog lights, again, ideally mounted 1 to 2 feet above the ground. Unfortunately, this height is illegal in the USA due to minimum mounting height regulations.

Unfortunately, lighting regulations in the USA are about the worst in the civilized west but the government is not there to make intelligent laws they are just there to make laws. The Canadian government capitulates on changes because they say that it would increase the costs of American goods in Canada so they just accept the lunacy that comes from the USA.

No worries ! LED fog lights are available !
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Drifting

Well... Hope the difference will be less than that in Canada , In US should be around 56k the advance model, r u sure will be an extra 10k over there? Found out today Acura is adding the fog lights as an accessory, look very cool now.
Oh, I was purely SPECULATING! I based my number on the current MDX - the price difference between the current US and Canadian MDX is about $10,000! It's just simply outrageous. One reason I think they do it is because they CAN. I hope that with the new model the price difference between the US and Canadian MDX will be less ridiculous, esp. since the RLX and RDX both have less of a price difference now between the 2 countries.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
I had to edit the new picture so it would match the other one.

I love this new MDX. With the slight adjustments its even more bad ass and aggressive/ sporty looking.
The following 2 users liked this post by Timmy18:
IMSOLAZY (05-09-2013), SlimTL (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Great feedback and that makes total sense!

Do you guys ever have safety concerns about the 3rd row? I've got 4 year old in a booster and another one on the way. We were looking for something with captains chairs just to get easy access even while the car was in motion. Obviously the MDX doesn't offer that and i'm not too keen on the makes that do.

My wife has some really strong reservations about putting a booster or car seat back there, especially if she can't physically get to it without having to stop and pull the car over. On our road trips, I'm driving and she's hanging out in the back. We could put the car seat and the booster in the 2nd row but i dont think that will leave much room for anyone else.

I dont think this will be too much of a concern as the kids get older, but would love to hear how you guys manage.
Maybe you should look at the Honda Odyssey. It has some pretty flexible seating and the front center console can be removed which would allow access to the 2nd row without getting out of the car.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:57 AM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All,

FYI. Got the following e-mail from an Acura dealer.

I wanted to let you know that the all new 2014 MDX was put into production on May 2nd at our new plant in Alabama. Please visit http://www.acuranews.com/channels/ac...ins-in-alabama for more details. We will be getting a shipment towards the end of this month and they will be available for purchase by June 5th. The new MDX will have more power, better fuel economy, more cargo volume, more passenger volume and new technologies first introduced by the RLX, such as the jewel eye headlight, active cruise control with low speed follow as well lane keep assist. Please visit http://www.acura.com/future/MDX#1 for pictures and details on the new MDX.

We have already begun taking $1,000 deposits so we can reserve one so that you can be one of the first to enjoy all wonderful new features and enhancements the 2014 MDX will bring.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
alkus77 (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^i already know someone that has put a deposit down on one. delivery date: May21st.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MDX will look awesome with all the accessories and a nice set of wheels!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Timmy18
I had to edit the new picture so it would match the other one.

I love this new MDX. With the slight adjustments its even more bad ass and aggressive/ sporty looking.
This pic is really the only one I have seen so far that has appealed to me. A nice set of wheels can make a big difference, but still need to see it in person to sway me from my current X.

The loss of the hard edges is a minus for me.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
My dealer has a 2014 MDX event today, means they got one in.
I will sit in it today...

Baby on my arms, cant write much.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 AM
4th Gear

Acura:
Please get rid of that ugly beak of a grill. Admit the mistake and move on with a new design.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyRK

Nice. I haven't heard anything from our sales rep here in California.

Let us know how 2014 MDX is after you sit in.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TinyRK

Awesome ! If you have a chance, can you ask about the eucalyptus interior color? So far no one knows if this is a gray or brown color...
Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^i already know someone that has put a deposit down on one. delivery date: May21st.
Are you getting a new MDX?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
So,
sat in the new MDX. Nice car. Nice features, but they pointed out it was a pre-production model.

Anyway, I am 6'2" 225lbs and sat in the front and adjusted the seat accordingly (see pics)
Then I moved to the back seat and still had about 1-2" between the front seat and my knees.

Pricing was not available yet, but a bunch of people put down down payments already.

The High Beam comes from the 2 inner lenses of the CrystalEye Light. So basically the 2 lenses of each side closest to the grille.

The touchscreen gave haptic feedback.

Feature-Sheet attached as well...
They said early June they will have them in the Showroom.

Overall nice car.
I drive a 2011 TL SH-AWD and we need more space, so I looked into the MDX and a lot of people who already drive one say this one is slightly bigger and nicer looking.
I found it rather dull inside. The Current model's console looks IMO somewhat frickled together, the 2014's looks rather cheap. But I am not a fan of bright interiors, that might have biased my impression there. I prefer the TL's interior... Again, might be BIASED there too, bit I don't like Benz', Audi, and BMW's inside either.

I got a few pics. Enjoy

Last edited by TinyRK; 05-09-2013 at 01:36 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TinyRK:
Acura_Dude (05-10-2013), seanlin (05-09-2013), SlimTL (05-10-2013), thunderbt3 (05-10-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
^^^^ did you get chance to listen to some music? Did you see subwoofer hidden somewhere?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Maybe you should look at the Honda Odyssey. It has some pretty flexible seating and the front center console can be removed which would allow access to the 2nd row without getting out of the car.
Second that. The Odyssey is very versatile and more convenient when you have two kids in car seats. Mine have now outgrown the car seats, so it's time to retire the old Odyssey.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
That interior looks pretty good to me.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Are you getting a new MDX?
not yet (give it a few years, i have a few other obligations i need to take care of first unless my dealer gives me a deal i ABSOLUTELY can't pass up- i know you guys are lurking...), but the person getting the car is someone close to me (not in literal proximity). i'm almost a little jelly.

Quick Reply: 2014 MDX is here!